Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 9th October 2008, 09:42   #16
Senior - BHPian

boss,

please do run the fifth cog as well. Its there for a reason, no matter what anyone anywhere tells you. Stick within 2200-2500RPM, use the turbo, and USE the fifth gear - 60 speeds is an ancient funda - you anyways need to run in the engine by the RPM - vary the ranges. I would seriously suggest breaching the 3000 RPM atleast once in a few km now that 1500 is already done. The setting in happens when the engine is taken gradually through the revs, not plodded on in single rev single gear all day!
Old 9th October 2008, 16:09   #17
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by phamilyman View Post
boss,

please do run the fifth cog as well. Its there for a reason, no matter what anyone anywhere tells you. Stick within 2200-2500RPM, use the turbo, and USE the fifth gear - 60 speeds is an ancient funda - you anyways need to run in the engine by the RPM - vary the ranges. I would seriously suggest breaching the 3000 RPM atleast once in a few km now that 1500 is already done. The setting in happens when the engine is taken gradually through the revs, not plodded on in single rev single gear all day!
Going to 5th @ 2000 rpm will touch 80+ easily. If traffic conditions allow then yes. I couldnt get beyond 4th in most of my drivings in city @ 2000 rpm as max.
Old 9th October 2008, 16:17   #18
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lightpower View Post
Going to 5th @ 2000 rpm will touch 80+ easily. If traffic conditions allow then yes. I couldnt get beyond 4th in most of my drivings in city @ 2000 rpm as max.
In that reason, you will jus clog the engine buddy. You need to take it out for sometime atleast do a quick 5km stretch on the ring roads or the road to Mahindra city. I remember a car which used to be always below 60kmph at all times had finally got settled so well to only those speeds, though it pressed to go at high speeds later, it always used to feel pressurised
Old 10th October 2008, 10:30   #19
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anup7649 View Post
I remember a car which used to be always below 60kmph at all times had finally got settled so well to only those speeds, though it pressed to go at high speeds later, it always used to feel pressurised
haha! that is psychological. how can a car get "settled" in a particular speed limit? the driver might find it difficult to revv it in case he/she is used to driving sedately.
Old 15th October 2008, 12:40   #20
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by phamilyman View Post
boss,

But the engine vibrates sending them to the dashboard.I also feel it may be also lugging!
Tried it taking to 60KMPH @ 2200RPM on 5th for about 4KM.everything is fine above 60 but when it slows a l'l bit say JUST below 60 - 1-2 points on the speedo,the vibrations start.
3K RPM had already been breached for quick takeoffs.
The only doubts are on using 5th .
Old 15th October 2008, 14:43   #21
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alton View Post
when it slows a l'l bit say JUST below 60 - 1-2 points on the speedo,the vibrations start.
3K RPM had already been breached for quick takeoffs.
Hey pal get it checked ,
Rattle Noises is hear only if something is loose,sounds like a loose piece of plastic.
Old 15th October 2008, 16:57   #22
BHPian

Quote:
But the engine vibrates sending them to the dashboard.I also feel it may be also lugging!
Tried it taking to 60KMPH @ 2200RPM on 5th for about 4KM.everything is fine above 60 ....
I use 5th only above 60 and 60@2.2K on 5th; rpm seems a tad high to me for that speed. For that matter RPM seems to high for 4th too. I get 60@2K RPM on 4th.

I remember seeing 100@2.5Krpm on 5th; with overdrive i guess
I remember seeing 50@2.2/2.5K (i am not sure of the exact number) on 3rd.

So a good chance you might be lugging but then again a lot of other things can raise RPM like Passenger/Luggage; Tire pressure, Road condition(inclination, stickness etc) and also how hard you hit the gas pedal.

I have got 40@2krpm and 40@1.8Krpm on 3rd in both cases with the same terrain with the same condition only i pressed the gas more gently took me longer to get to 40 but the rpm was lesser.

I used to lug a whole lot... milage @11-12Kmpl, Yes if your Dash vibrates; typically you hear a sound coming from just above the glove compartment - you are probably lugging.

Last edited by AadiAtPlay : 15th October 2008 at 16:59.
Old 16th October 2008, 13:55   #23
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzy_2cool View Post
Hey pal get it checked ,.........
.......sounds like a loose piece of plastic.
Yes it is.The clock bracket is off and dangling inside ,hitting against the dash plastic.Actually the whole clock fell off when I tried to just check its fixing.A manufacturing defect b'cause I never even touched it since getting the car.Shall replace in coming service.
Old 16th October 2008, 14:12   #24
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AadiAtPlay View Post
I use 5th only above 60 and 60@2.2K on 5th; ....

So a good chance you might be lugging but then again a lot of other things can raise RPM like Passenger/Luggage; Tire pressure, Road condition(inclination, stickness etc) and also how hard you hit the gas pedal. .....

... Yes if your Dash vibrates; typically you hear a sound coming from just above the glove compartment - you are probably lugging.
Good analysis, AAdi! You cleared my doubts.Thanks.
Well,went to Workshop last evening just to check the next date for service and also this problem.
Drove at 60@2.2 RPM with the guy for around 5 KM asking him all the time the right time to upshift and downshift with RPM.
He said I'm fine with it.Also said " 60 KMPH in 5th should be 2K to 2.2K RPM" . I too do the same.
So,for those vibrations just below 60,he said let the engine run till 3500 KM ,and then it frees up a lil ,so the next time you upshift,those vibrations dont come.My present ODO is 2912.
I also found the clock bracket on dash loose and came off when checking its fixing.So,it might also be a cause of those vibrations.
Let me see the next ride .Shall update soon.
Old 16th October 2008, 14:52   #25
BHPian

Quote:
Good analysis, AAdi!

you have effectively said all that analysis is wrong.....

I am used to being wrong NP.

but yes maybe you are in run in period hence the engine is at a higher rpm - wild guess.

the rpm figures i quoted do work on my machine.

And milage has improved significantly compared to when i was operating the car at lower rpms.

Another thing i should share about lugging.... (This is for all those guy who really dont know if they are lugging or not but milage is low)

keep a steady pressure of the accelerator so that your rpm and speedo needle slowly but steadily are climbing...

and now without releasing the accelerator change the gear(Clarification: use clutch properly only maintain same pressure on gas)

If you need to press more on the accelerator to maintain momentum or maintain rate of acceleration you have changed the gear too early. O you feel the car slowing down.

Any your engine is lugging. next time chose a higher speed to do the same thing and you will know the difference.

Last edited by AadiAtPlay : 16th October 2008 at 14:53.
Old 16th October 2008, 17:34   #26
BHPian

My take is to use the RPM needle to change the gears usually between 2-2.2K. No vibrations.
Old 16th October 2008, 20:24   #27
BHPian

Quote:
My take is to use the RPM needle to change the gears usually between 2-2.2K. No vibrations.
Very true,thats what I alway Do.
When do we meet Aadi .
Old 17th October 2008, 10:38   #28
BHPian

Quote:
Yes,I think I should also start emulating your style of driving.Using RPM needle to shift is what seems the right way to drive correctly.Thanks Sir.

Quote:

you have effectively said all that analysis is wrong.....

I am used to being wrong NP.........

NO,NO,NO .....
You have got me wrong Sir. I never intended to Disprove you,nor anyone.

We as TBHP are here to share our experiences and Ideas.The point is to learn from each other and respect each views.Then only I feel we move forward.TBHP is one of those platforms where we come together to discuss,deliberate and reach logical and correct solutions to our queries and problems. Our intention is to make 'US' and our Roads safe to drive and Enjoy.There is also another point - We improve individually by getting to know each other.
Old 17th October 2008, 14:08   #29
BHPian

Quote:
Sir.
Alton please don't call me Sir - not comfortable with that, Aadi is fine.

I was joking and i respect views contrary to my own no problem, seriously.

looking at the rpm needle and driving is ok but sooner or later you would need to get the 'feel' of the car. The car or even a two wheeler will 'tell you' when it needs an upshift or a downshift.

I made the mistake of using the Taco a whole lot (inexperienced drivers like me tend to look at tacho more than the road).

but i feel the problem is that economical driving depends on driving conditions Tacho limits are only a guideline for the most commonly occuring situations.

Finally i guess i will need to be able to understand what the car needs by what i feel on the steering gear lever and pedal.
Old 17th October 2008, 14:45   #30
BHPian

Quote:
Alton please don't call me Sir - not comfortable with that, Aadi is fine.

looking at the rpm needle and driving is ok but sooner or later you would need to get the 'feel' of the car. The car or even a two wheeler will 'tell you' when it needs an upshift or a downshift.

but i feel the problem is that economical driving depends on driving conditions Tacho limits are only a guideline for the most commonly occuring situations.

Finally i guess i will need to be able to understand what the car needs by what i feel on the steering gear lever and pedal.
cheers: Yes Aadi,
Rightly said.Tacho is only a guideline.A driver needs to 'FEEL' the car he's driving to really enjoy it and also be a responsible owner/driver.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks