Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 6th October 2008, 00:27   #1
Distinguished - BHPian

Driven : Mitsubishi Outlander!

Sunday afternoon,had nothing much to do and then i saw the outlander ad on highway,thought about the car and there i was in the mitsubishi dealership in gurgaon.To my surprise a lot of people had come to see the outlander,lets talk about the car.

Looks are subjective,i find the outlander good looking and a nice change from the segment leader CR-V.The car is offered in bright colors including yellow.It costs 20.20lakhs exshowroom gurgaon.The advertisements may suggest it to be capable vehicle offroad but i doubt as it has low ground clearance and the stepney below rear bumper is sure to scrap ground as soon as you get down the road.

Interiors are brilliant,black in color with very nice material used,meters are oh so nice and black leather seats are so good looking and very supportive too,space is good-boot and cabin,Rockford Fosgate music system is very impressive for a OEM unit and it comes with 2pair speakers plus tweeters,amplifier and a subwoofer.

Driver side seat is electrically adjustable and both front seats are adjustable.The car comes only with 5 speed automatic transmission(the salesguy very well dressed started speaking blah blah about the car,i interrupted him and asked whether the transmission is a 5 speed unit he said he will get back and never came back).Honda like paddle shifts are placed behind the steering wheel and can also be used through gearlever.

All wheel traction control is standard and four wheel drive control knob has the options 2wd,4wd and lock.Option to shift to low ratio like Grand Vitara is absent,i think it may never be required thanks to low Ground clearance.

Revvnote instantly tells about the intention of the high revving japnese MIVEC engine,i shifted it to 4wd on the gravelly slip road and the outlander pulled like no 2wd car can manage,out on hard road surfaces the gearbox holds till redline to give acceleration in the league of CRV,i did manage to push the car through broken patches it felt very composed though i could hear a lot of road noise.Handling was very car like with 4wd its fun to push on loose surfaces.Engine felt powerful but i somehow did not like the lowend(i drive diesels all the time,maybe i could not judge the engine so well).

If i had 22lakhs with me and i was out to buy a 4wd,would i buy it?
No,id prefer a Pajero.

If only option was a Softroader?
Yes,i love Grand Vitara but weak engine turns me off,CR-V rides and handles so well and its powerful too but i dont like the looks.

Dont ask me for photos(check the outlander website instead),it was a sudden plan so i was not carrying a cam and my cellphone cam is pathetic.

Last edited by .anshuman : 6th October 2008 at 00:30.
.anshuman is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th October 2008, 00:56   #2
Senior - BHPian

Hey thanks for the review dude
My brother was looking to buy one. Maybe these inputs will help him.
Old 6th October 2008, 01:12   #3
Distinguished - BHPian

Forgot to mention the tripcomputer was displaying 20litres per 100kms,works out to be 5kpl,with fuel prices racing north this isn't a car for a cost concious buyer but what does CR-v and GV return?,almost same.
Old 6th October 2008, 01:17   #4
aZa
Senior - BHPian

Anshuman nice and crisp review !!
Old 6th October 2008, 01:41   #5
BANNED

That's a very good, honest and nice initial test drive impression.
So, the Outlander is finally out on our roads.

Being a Mitsubishi, good handling is well expected. Nice to know it delivers. FE would be not more than 8kmpl I guess, so no surprise it showed 20L/100kms. How do you like the rear seats?
This car is basically a big image booster for Mitsubishi in India. Hope it delivers well.
Old 6th October 2008, 02:12   #6
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedzak View Post
That's a very good, honest and nice initial test drive impression.
So, the Outlander is finally out on our roads.

Being a Mitsubishi, good handling is well expected. Nice to know it delivers. FE would be not more than 8kmpl I guess, so no surprise it showed 20L/100kms. How do you like the rear seats?
This car is basically a big image booster for Mitsubishi in India. Hope it delivers well.
Thanks everyone,I liked the rear seats.The shape of the seats is very good with very good material and padding at all the required places plus it has option to recline the rear seats individually.

Leg room should not be a reason to complaint,i being 6feet and 3inches tall was very comfortable at rear.

The sales person did quote a very realistic real world FE of 8kmpl city.
Old 6th October 2008, 02:29   #7
BHPian

Hey there, the mileage is poor though. The Land Cruiser we tested, under extreme conditions gave us 5.6kms/litre and the best was 11kms/litre.

Thanks for the details.
Old 6th October 2008, 02:47   #8
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brosreview View Post
Hey there, the mileage is poor though. The Land Cruiser we tested, under extreme conditions gave us 5.6kms/litre and the best was 11kms/litre.

Thanks for the details.
This was a testdrive vehicle ripped very badly by random people who change every 3-4kms and the quality of the fuel here mated with the detuned engine was obvious to show such a figure.

I doubt whether a LC with this kind of fuel and non existent roads with everybody on road with every possible vehicle with the each testdriver's urge to check the acceleration in every possible way would be able to return FE close to this figure.
Old 6th October 2008, 10:23   #9
Senior - BHPian

Anshuman, pardon my ignorance, what are the options available in the engine ??
Old 6th October 2008, 11:05   #10
BHPian

hey that was a quick one anshuman. Nice review, so is rockford fosgate sound sys really that good as its known for?
Old 6th October 2008, 12:13   #11
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dadu View Post
Anshuman, pardon my ignorance, what are the options available in the engine ??
Just one option,2.4 Petrol MIVEC,i wish it had a diesel option.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ashish22 View Post
hey that was a quick one anshuman. Nice review, so is rockford fosgate sound sys really that good as its known for?
It is easily the best OEM i have heard (for a car of this price) but its not as crisp as a aftermarket fosgate system.
Old 6th October 2008, 12:15   #12
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashish22 View Post
ive heard the rf system in a montero and it really is very good.
Old 6th October 2008, 12:41   #13
Senior - BHPian

That was quick and crisp one. I wish if they had introduced the Diesel version as well. Anshuman did the sales guy specified any launch for the diesel one ??
Old 6th October 2008, 15:02   #14
BHPian

Hey anshuman, thanks for the review
Is it a 5 seater or 7 seater?
Old 6th October 2008, 17:17   #15
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhanusrinivas View Post
Is it a 5 seater or 7 seater?
Currently the ones sold in India are 5 seater.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks