Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 31st March 2005, 11:50   #16
Senior - BHPian

I just had a little fun with a Scorpio today. I didn't even have to race, coz he just wasn't able to cut through traffic like cars do. On a busy street, you're definately better off in a car.

SUVs aren't the kinda vehicles to be used in the city. For that, you have the Urban Legend, the CR-V. LOL

Shan2nu
Old 31st March 2005, 12:00   #17
GTO
Team-BHP Support

I think you need to check your specs as I said the Innova is faster "after" 120 - And I believe that the next available time i.e. 130..the Innova does take the lead.

Buttttttttttttttttttt Quicker to 120 by 0.3 of a second! Holy cow, what are we talking about here? Formula 1 cars or people movers? If you want acceleration forget SUVs/MUVs. Hell, forget diesels. Dont even consider cars with a 1,500 kg + kerb weight. The primary purpose of this segment is utility and thats where the Innova squashes the Scorpio D-R-Y! Theres a reason that even the Sumo sells more than Scorpios.

Another bit of advice : Dont ever go off-roading in a Scorpio with that 4x4 option. You will come back home with the doors and most mechanicals left behind in the forest.

GTO
Old 31st March 2005, 12:24   #18
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shan2nu
I just had a little fun with a Scorpio today. I didn't even have to race, coz he just wasn't able to cut through traffic like cars do. On a busy street, you're definately better off in a car.

SUVs aren't the kinda vehicles to be used in the city. For that, you have the Urban Legend, the CR-V. LOL

Shan2nu

dude it s all about driving skill , i ve been used to a gypsy and a sierra turbo so the driving , cutting through lanes and stuff in my scorpio is as easy as my zen .

manson .
Old 31st March 2005, 13:48   #19
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by manson
dude it s all about driving skill , i ve been used to a gypsy and a sierra turbo so the driving , cutting through lanes and stuff in my scorpio is as easy as my zen .

manson .
Agreed. Jus look at the qualis and sumo taxi drivers... the way they zip across lanes, u'd think they are two wheelers!

But getting back to the main topic of this thread...

Am i wrong in thinking that spare parts for a scorpio would be a lot cheaper than those for Innova? Now people might say innova wont require much repair... but wot about accidents? Anyways comparing SUV with MUV jus aint right.

But hey.... 3 cheers to M&M for finally giving the Indian buyers an Indian CRDe!

Amitoj
Old 31st March 2005, 14:22   #20
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
by normally_crazy but i cant understand where you make your own roads ? if you go off roading ...fine !!
exactomondo!!! i do go off-roading sometimes (well, in the Indian context, any driving on other than proper renowned highways and city roads might constitute as off-roading!!!). and besides, these beasts are strictly not meant for (just) the bombay traffic.
so if i lived at malad, operah house, bandra etc, and i used my steed for in city trips only, then forget the safari, heck, a continental GT or an evo is a waste of money!!!

Quote:
by gto
Another bit of advice : Dont ever go off-roading in a Scorpio with that 4x4 option. You will come back home with the doors and most mechanicals left behind in the forest
that's so true!!! i've seen a friend's scorpio getting thrashed in some 4x4 rally; his car was totally out of shape after the proceedings (although i didn't get a good look at his ride- and remind me, isn't the scorpio's 4x4 shift-on-the-fly like safari's??).
the honours of that particular rally went to a bolero 4x4 and a classic (540 modded with scorpio's engine)4x4.

and amitoj, yes, the scorpio's spare parts cost quite a few packets lesser than the innova! just as an example, the sai service near my residence overhauled a scorpio engine sometime back (ordinary D.I with belt driven cams), for reasons best known to that dealer and the particular owner. the entire overhaul set him back by about 23,000 bucks. in stark contrast, a friend of mine, who owns a garage, overhauled a qualis's engine, which set the owner back by about 38,000!!! both only overhauled their respective engines, and only O.E.M's spare parts were used in both cases.

and hey manson, i used to own a sierra too man (non-turbo, silver, but externally turbo lookalike with the wheel arches, et al)!!! and i also own a gypsy, currently!! we've got too many similarities to talk about, wot say?! man, this's like freaky friday !!??!!

Last edited by veyron1 : 31st March 2005 at 14:32.
Old 3rd May 2005, 17:04   #21
Distinguished - BHPian

i also drove the slx variant at bhasin motors,delhi,the on road price of slx variant is Rs.9,01,000,the engine is very refined and punchy,even ACI found the engine to be better than that of innova's,the engine is absolutely noiseless,with ac on you can't even tell its a diesel,but the annoying thing is the rev meter has no redline and is marked upto 7000rpm(correct me if i am wrong) with no redline, at around 5000rpm you hit a wall thats very annoying till you get used to the car,then the handling is very scary and brakes add to that scary effect,ride and steering are soft making it easy to drive in traffic,overall its value for money suv.
Old 21st June 2006, 17:25   #22
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shan2nu
Or may be he was a green-horn. I find it much easier to get thru BLR traffic in a UV.

I wouldnt compare the Innova vs the Scorpio - both are different categories. Even without considering the finish, features etc, both would feel very diff. One would need to decide whether he wants a MPV or a UV.
Old 23rd June 2006, 19:39   #23
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhp
i was there yesterday at sai service for the test drive of the scorpio crde which is available only in the top end model of slx .
i felt the car had some nice power and could reach the three figures with ease . being the top end model the car had some nice comfortable and rich interiors which appealed me other than the cheap swicthes and a small dash board .

wat i wanted to know is the crde and crdi technology the same (the marketing executive at the showroom it is the same)

wat is the avearge one could get in a conjusted city like bombay (the dealer promised that the crde will give atleast 10 kmpl in city)

the car has a waiting period of about 4-6 weeks and there are no discounts on the car at all not even some free accesories

the car is priced at 8,41,000 rs on road thane and 8,80,000 rs on road mumbai
is it value for money spending such moolah on a diesel car

the warranty period for the scorpio is 2 yrs or 50,000 kms whichever is earlier and they also have a extended warranty for 2 yrs and unlimilted mileage which they are giving away for 10,000 rs (they are also having a package of 15000 rs which included the extended warranty , dinitrol under chassis treatment and teflon coating ) is it worth going for it ??

the dealer said that an average servicing will cost anything between 1200 - 1500 rs is it true ?? some scorpio owners can help ..
Go for TATA SAfari DICOR
Old 7th August 2006, 16:28   #24
NIP
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO
The primary purpose of this segment is utility and thats where the Innova squashes the Scorpio D-R-Y! Theres a reason that even the Sumo sells more than Scorpios.

Another bit of advice : Dont ever go off-roading in a Scorpio with that 4x4 option. You will come back home with the doors and most mechanicals left behind in the forest.

GTO
i think u missed the point here altogether GTO !! i've driven both the innova (van) and own a scorpio (jeep) and the comparison ends there !!

...i own a scorpio and i've some some pretty serious offroading...things that innovas can only dream of !! and besides...i'm not even talkin abt the 4x4 version of the scorpio here...!! being a CJ3B owner urself..i dont see how u made the comparison...!?
Old 7th August 2006, 17:01   #25
BHPian

i think in terms of interiors, spacious, easy handling in cities, FE, innova is much better when compared with scorpio. I totaly agree with GTO what he has mentioned in the thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks