Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 21st October 2008, 21:26   #1
BHPian

1500 kms drive on Hyundai Verna

Hi,

We had been to Shabarimale, Kerala on Hyundai Verna. It belongs to one of my family members and I drove it for more than 800 kms and I thought I would share my experience.

Cost of this diesel vehicle is 9 lakhs and 1 lakh is spent on Alloy wheels, music system, leather seats etc.

Soon we started the journey, I thought the vehicle is soundless. But the experience was different on highway. The sound was projected like a bomb on every bump after we cross 100kmph. Noisy cabin.

I was able to max 170 kmph, so top speed is good and it had more on tap.

Our drive mostly comprised of ghat sections and bad roads. Handling is not good atall and there is no steering feel like we get in Palio.

Great fuel economy. 18 kmpl overall. We used AC all the times.

Seating comfort is sick. There were 5 of us inside and we all had body pain end of ride :-(

My opinion: Good top end, good fuel efficiency. But this car is not worth the money.

Regards,

Renu Kumar
Old 21st October 2008, 23:24   #2
SLK
Senior - BHPian

Hitting bumps at 100! Verna's soft suspension should be better than others.

Isn't verna a strict 4 seater? Who sat on the rock solid lump?

Noisy cabin! You got to be kidding me!

When we talk money, the 170+km/h and 18+km/l make it worth and everything after that is bonus.
Old 21st October 2008, 23:32   #3
BHPian

you managed a good speed,and FE figures.i think the handling and cabin noise part should be discussed in detail.i doubt if any Tbhp member would agree with the above.

ot:mods is this in the right section.
Old 21st October 2008, 23:45   #4
BHPian

I myself have a verna but the problem i face is loud noise and the worst gearshift i had ever used before.
Old 22nd October 2008, 00:22   #5
Senior - BHPian

I have heard many comments on the verna like poor handling , engine noise at high speeds.

By the way 170kmph.
Did you do a run-in in it?
Old 22nd October 2008, 03:36   #6
Distinguished - BHPian

Shouldn't this be in the Test Drives Section?
@Renu Kumar - I agree with you views but the soft suspension set up is one of the reasons it is not such a driver friendly car, given the powerful engine.
Old 22nd October 2008, 06:34   #7
BHPian

RenuKumar,
Most of the points I don’t agree with you.
First of all body sounds , while installing ICE proper care should be taken when fixing speakers in front doors it will produce immense cables sound and doors at speed, changing to Alloys also increase tyres sound on rough roads at high speed. Did u get change your stock tyres
Most sedans suite for long drives for 4 persons only , kids also gets body pins ,if they are 5 in sedan because back middle seat is useless it will be very hard to sit for very long drive.
Even I too think this thread is not in right section
Old 22nd October 2008, 07:06   #8
Senior - BHPian

Surprising to see such review from a owner of verna. Proabably he is spoiled by Palio

I am also curious to know from other owners about the cabin nosie.
Old 22nd October 2008, 10:37   #9
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Handling is not good at all and there is no steering feel
Hyundai's generally have soft suspension and overtly light steering. Maybe thats why you expereinced the above two things.

Disclaimer: I speak from driving the Santro and Accent. Haven't driven the Verna. That's what I have read in almost all reviews of the car.
Old 22nd October 2008, 10:53   #10
BHPian

i do frequent trips to cochin from cbe and did a trip from cbe to trichy and back in the same day. cabin noise was not at all felt though we kept the stereo at minimum so that all five of us can talk nicely to each other. i did a top of 200kmph in cbe to karur highway!
no one complained of back ache or stuff . the trip lasted for 5 hrs one side and 6hrs return side. the control was also good. the steering is very sensitive and that should be seriously handled thats all. and yes i do make it a point not to go over bumps over 60kmph!! i do brake more than needed just to keep a tap on this matter. otherwise the suspension will be in trouble before you know it.

better get the allignment and wheel balancing done!

one small complaint was there my velocity SUB in the Boot was like punching the rear passengers from their back. the thump was too much they made me keep the stereo at minimum..lolz

Last edited by sameel : 22nd October 2008 at 10:57.
Old 22nd October 2008, 13:28   #11
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amit View Post
Hyundai's generally have soft suspension and overtly light steering. Maybe thats why you expereinced the above two things.

Disclaimer: I speak from driving the Santro and Accent. Haven't driven the Verna. That's what I have read in almost all reviews of the car.
Compared to Accent,if you find Accent to be bouncy at speed this car is POGOSTICK.
Old 22nd October 2008, 17:12   #12
Senior - BHPian

Renu - my comments in bold and inline

Quote:
Originally Posted by RenuKumar View Post
Hi,

The sound was projected like a bomb on every bump after we cross 100kmph. Noisy cabin.[\quote]

Thats a comment i have seen first on the forum and do not agree with it , as the in cabin noise in verna is pretty low and definitely not " like a bomb" ... for that matter run any car at 100 kmph over a hump and you will hear the bomb sound of your car being damaged ....

Our drive mostly comprised of ghat sections and bad roads. Handling is not good atall and there is no steering feel like we get in Palio. - I belive that you have brough the car recently and it takes time to get used to the car especially a verna thats my experince , i initially had issues with handling but after sometime , it seems i got used to the limits to which i can push her , about the steering feedback i agree its true but its not as bad as you have made it out in the post.

Seating comfort is sick. There were 5 of us inside and we all had body pain end of ride :-( - What else do you expect ? Thank the gods that your passengers do not have spinal injuries after having being treated to the rear seat of a verna jumping over humps at 100 kmph.and maxing out at 170 kmph. and remember the more passengers that you taken on the lesser will be the damping effect of you suspensions on humps...

My opinion: Good top end, good fuel efficiency. But this car is not worth the money. - IMHO you are contradicting youself in the same sentence or maybe you havent had the chance to really introspect , here lemme guide you differently . Can you suggest any other car in the same segment with comparable top end, fuel efficiency , maintanence costs, ride quality and handling for me ?

Regards,

Renu Kumar

PS: Things that you have done on this drive , i would never allow my relative to do if it was my car especially during the run in period.
Quote:
Originally Posted by potlaravi View Post
RenuKumar,
Most of the points I don’t agree with you.
First of all body sounds , while installing ICE proper care should be taken when fixing speakers in front doors it will produce immense cables sound and doors at speed, changing to Alloys also increase tyres sound on rough roads at high speed.
potlaravi - adding alloys wont increase your tyre noise at high speeds , i have never heard any such reports... And you are correct about the 5th passenger
Old 22nd October 2008, 17:55   #13
BHPian

Thanks for the comments. The vehicle has run 14K and has been properly run-in.

When I say ride over bumps, I am referring to road undulations (not road humps). On the same road, I have travelled in Toyota Innova at 130 plus kmph. Never had such an experience.

That interior sound was managable but a car of this price should have been quieter.

Handling part: I dont agree if anyone says it is a good handler.

Tyres are stock.

The sound I think is because of the thickness of metal used in body frame. The front bonnet is pretty good and there is no sound from it. Checked with 3M and they have a product that fixes this problem. They said they will stick some stickers on the doors and it should make the cabin quieter by atleast 25%. Even Wurth has this product.

There were no vibrations and the turbo feel was good.

Regards,

Renu Kumar
Old 22nd October 2008, 20:01   #14
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RenuKumar View Post
Thanks for the comments. The vehicle has run 14K and has been properly run-in.

When I say ride over bumps, I am referring to road undulations (not road humps). On the same road, I have travelled in Toyota Innova at 130 plus kmph. Never had such an experience.

That interior sound was managable but a car of this price should have been quieter.

Handling part: I dont agree if anyone says it is a good handler.

Tyres are stock.

The sound I think is because of the thickness of metal used in body frame. The front bonnet is pretty good and there is no sound from it. Checked with 3M and they have a product that fixes this problem. They said they will stick some stickers on the doors and it should make the cabin quieter by atleast 25%. Even Wurth has this product.

There were no vibrations and the turbo feel was good.

Regards,

Renu Kumar
Hi Renu,
My friend .. when you do a comparo on any aspect try to do it on vehicle of the same cadre.. and MUV's ride quality should be pitted against the ride quality of a MUV not that of a sedan. Otherwise you would end up with some really spectacular results like comparing the ride quality of Lets say a Land Cruiser and a Maruti Esteem.

the product from 3M or Wurth is called a sound deadner , you will find more info on it in the ICE sections

As for the handling i ws just saying that it need to gotten used to , and definitely agree that verna is not one of the best handlers in town
Old 22nd October 2008, 22:38   #15
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellstar View Post
Renu - my comments in bold and inline
potlaravi - adding alloys wont increase your tyre noise at high speeds , i have never heard any such reports... And you are correct about the 5th passenger
HellStar,
I trying to say tyres sound when transitory through a patches works done on a good road at high speed. This sound will be there for every vehicle I think.Rest of the things fully

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks