Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 20th November 2008, 09:53   #1
BHPian

A complete package ::: Hands on Palio SDX

Hi Guys !

I welcome all on my thread.

I got the delivery of Palio SDX ( a complete package ) yesterday afternoon.

It all started way back in late-August when i started planning for a diesel car, my daily running is like close to 70-80kms everyday.

I shortlisted and test droved three cars PALIO, VISTA and SWIFT and this it what i felt ---

PALIO ::: For better FE ( per my driving style ) and power delivery the car provides really suits my driving style, I drive either very slowly ( bumper to bumper ) or I am at 100+ ( Delhi - Gurgaon expressway ), so therefore unlike Vista which is more linearly powered and Swift which has a engine tuned for a higher torque would have given me less FE figures as compared to a Palio, just because of the way there engine is tuned, i liked the stability on the road and on light curves at high speeds ( 130+kmph ), brakes felt really good, the feel of a saloon car and not that of a hatch, a big bonnet area as compared to a VISTA or SWIFT makes you feel more secured as the number of crumple zones increases with the length of the bonnet area, boot area is much much better then the other two, good leg room at the rear.

SWIFT ::: Great car, the turbo kick is really felt beyond 2ks rpm, nice handeling, lightest steering as comapared to the other two, things that stopped me from going for SWIFT were ( nothing against SWIFT owners, its just my personal preference ), the boot space is very less, leg room at rear is the least as compared to the other, the boot is just enough to accomodate small travel bags, so i just felt short on space.

VISTA ::: I was among the first who test droved the VISTA in Delhi on 23rd August ( VISTAs lanch date ), the space is the cabin was just amazing, extraordinary leg rooms at rear and front, it can even accomodate 4 at the rear seat, its the widest of the three so that really helps, i test droved it on congested roads so couldnt rev the engine to my liking but whatever i could manage i was impressed with it, it looks really nice from the front but rear is more like a Indica, things that stopped me from going for VISTA were ( nothing against VISTA owners, its just my personal preference ), INITIAL FE FIGURES that Vista was returning, guys were getting 14-15 km/l they were no where near the PALIOs or SWIFTs.

Delivery Experience ---

Delivery experince was really good and professional, the car was delivered on the date it was promised for.
Dealer Name --- SANYA MOTORS, Defence Colony, New Delhi.

Drive from Dealer to home :::

Started the engine and straight away switched on the AC and switched on some music got it fitted from the dealer itself but bought them Sony World store ( choosed SONY for the complete ICE [ 2 rear 6X9, 2 front 5"] ), got the tank full done ( normal diesel ) and hitted the road... Aaaaaah and that was end of all the joy as it took me 35 mins for a stretch of 4kms from dealer to my home so no real joy there, the engine felt pretty ok to me in bumper to bumper and i am because of somewhat lower toque the FE would not have got the beating. So that was yesterday.

This morning from Home to Work :::

0630am, 35kms, it took me some 40mins.

I was extra cautious, didnt rev'd up the engine beyond 1600-1700rpm something i am not used to when driving on Delhi roads at 0630 in the morning, even the buses and the trucks were rocketing around me on Delhi - Gurgaon expressway, it was quite embarrising for me and for the PALIO its was like as if PALIO started asking me a question what the hell, i am not meant to be driven like the way you are driving me it kept pleading... step on the gas, step on the gas, step on the gas, step on the gas.

Your thoughts and suggestions are welcome :::

I particularly need some tips on how should i be driving for first 1000ks.
Old 20th November 2008, 10:14   #2
Senior - BHPian

Congrats pal! Great choice!

Do post some pics....

Have fun, drive safe!
Old 20th November 2008, 10:20   #3
BHPian

Hey Bubby,
Welcome to the FIAT world!Congrats on your new Palio SDX!
We can now share our experiences of Palio from Delhi-North to South Central - Hyderabad!! I have a MJD SDX with 4500KM on the odo.I want to share some of my inputs on the initial care and ownership.
Browse on TBHP about the 'Running in of new car' thread! Most of the things coming up below are an extract of it.
Firstly read the owners manual end to end.Doesnt matter if somethings are not understood completely.Drive carefully ,keep the revs under 2K for 1000Km ,then upgrade the rev to 2.2-2.5k till 3500Km,touch the revs to 3K occasionally till 5000Km.Go for the 5th gear only if you cross 60kmph @ 2.2K rpm,otherwise the car shudders a bit which could be damaging to engine if done frequently.This may be called 'LUGGING' the engine.
Also you can go upto 80KMPH on 4th max .On the 5th preferably but watch the revs ,they must be under 2.5K!
Change the E-oil @ 1000KM as recommended by TBHP!Then after stick to 7.5K interval as per the manual.
Use only mineral E-oil (HP oil as in TATA A.S.S) for the first 15000KM,then after go for Mobil 1 Synthetic.This was recommended to me by the engineer at TATA service.
Team mates in TBHP may advise on this.
And enjoy the car and share your experiences too!
Old 20th November 2008, 10:25   #4
BHPian

more torque results in less FE???? its actually the other way round, my friend..

more torque means u down-shift less and rev less in heavy traffic (or while climbing inclines). u dont need to use clutch as much. this results in improved FE actually.

my vista can climb a slope (with a/c) in 2nd gear without use of clutch or accelerator, at a speed of around 5-6kmph. this is because of torque. btw, its giving a minimum of 17kmpl after 1st service.

this is not to say you made a wrong choice (MJD is a fantastic car) but only to correct your assumptions.

about the first 1000 kms, follow the user manual. go easy on the revs and dont cross 2000 rpm in any gear. many here might disagree with the manual on this point but i advice you to do what the manual says - better safe than sorry.

Last edited by CtrlAltDel : 20th November 2008 at 10:29.
Old 20th November 2008, 10:26   #5
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by finneyp View Post
Congrats pal! Great choice!

Do post some pics....

Have fun, drive safe!
Thanks Mate.

Would be posting some pictures on the coming weekend.
Old 20th November 2008, 10:36   #6
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CtrlAltDel View Post
more torque results in less FE???? its actually the other way round, my friend..

more torque means u down-shift less and rev less in heavy traffic (or while climbing inclines). u dont need to use clutch as much. this results in improved FE actually.
Hey CAD. Welcome on my thread.

Whatever you said is correct, but i feel the cars with higher torque use more brakes in bumper to bumper or rather in city drivning conditions which in turns results in more heat being produced and hence loss of Kinetic Energy ( KE ) prduced, and this loss of KE results in comparitively lower FE.
Old 20th November 2008, 11:22   #7
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alton View Post
Hey Bubby,
Welcome to the FIAT world!Congrats on your new Palio SDX!
We can now share our experiences of Palio from Delhi-North to South Central - Hyderabad!! I have a MJD SDX with 4500KM on the odo.I want to share some of my inputs on the initial care and ownership.
Drive carefully ,keep the revs under 2K for 1000Km ,then upgrade the rev to 2.2-2.5k till 3500Km,touch the revs to 3K occasionally till 5000Km.Go for the 5th gear only if you cross 60kmph @ 2.2K rpm,otherwise the car shudders a bit which could be damaging to engine if done frequently.This may be called 'LUGGING' the engine.
Also you can go upto 80KMPH on 4th max .On the 5th preferably but watch the revs ,they must be under 2.5K!
Thanks for the inputs Alton.

I would definitely keep the car under 2k for the first 1000kms, and then from there i would proceed further.

One more thing, I feel during the running in period we should not keep car at contant rpms on empty roads ( Delhi - Gurgaon expreesway at 0600am ). We should keep varying the rpms ranging from 1.5k to 2.0k every 1-2mins of driving rather then doing a the whole stretch ( some 20kms ) at lets say at 1.8k.
Thoughts are welcome on the same.
Old 20th November 2008, 14:04   #8
BHPian

Hey Bubby, congrats on your new purchase and welcome to the Palio family!

As others have suggested, follow the to-do's religiously while running in. Another piece of advice that was given to me, I'll pass on. We motorheads tend to "over do" the running in process and end up with a sluggish vehicle. To put in simple words, accelarate smoothly (not too slow, not too hard) like you would do in an already run-in vehicle while driving normally, but stick to the upper limit of 2k. Most people afraid of ruining their engines, accelarate slowly during run-in, which delays the mating of the parts and results in a relatively sluggish engine.

Awaiting pictures of your ride and once again, congrats & enjoy your new ride!
Old 20th November 2008, 14:20   #9
BHPian

Hey Bubby, I'm pasting a transcript from PUG (Yahoo), this was with Mangesh who is the customer Service manager with FIAT INDIA.

His Views are:

Mangesh also shared his insights on some other generic queries that keep popping up in the PUG forum. I have listed them below:

1) Teflon, under-body, anti-rust coatings etc are not required on FIAT cars. All FIAT cars come with these treatments from the factory. These are just sales gimmicks offered by showrooms/service stations

2) FIAT cars do not require any 'running in'. This is the same for most modern
day cars. So enjoy your cars from day one of the purchase

3) No need for any additive laden fuel for FIAT cars. Regular petrol/diesel will
do just fine.

4) Cars should be washed with regular water. If there is a need for any
solutions to wipe away the grime, ensure that these solutions/soap water has low concentrations of these chemicals. This will ensure that the paint is not
affected in the long term

Cheers,
Nitin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubby View Post
Hey CAD. Welcome on my thread.

Whatever you said is correct, but i feel the cars with higher torque use more brakes in bumper to bumper or rather in city drivning conditions which in turns results in more heat being produced and hence loss of Kinetic Energy ( KE ) prduced, and this loss of KE results in comparitively lower FE.
How are you saying the KE is directly proportional to FE (loss of KE = Loss of FE) Pls explain

Note from the Team-BHP Support Staff : Please use the "edit" button if posting within 15 minutes of the first post, instead of creating another back-to-back post

Also use "Multi Quote" option for quoting Multiple posts.

Last edited by Technocrat : 20th November 2008 at 15:07. Reason: see note in post
Old 20th November 2008, 15:35   #10
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubby View Post
errrr...i am afraid that went over my head...the real world is usually different from a physics text book.

there is no connection between torque and braking. in bumper to bumper traffic if the car in front of you stops, you have to brake - irrespective of the torque of the car. simple.

the difference is that if torque is high you can cruise in slow moving traffic with minimum gear changes. you can also brake comfortably without jabbing the clutch everytime.

high torque enables effortless driving which is why its easier to drive diesels in traffic than petrol cars.

look at the indica V2 family itself - the old naturally aspirated V2, the V2 TDI and the V2 Dicor. the torque is lowest in old V2 and maximum in Dicor and so is the FE.

even in the V2 Xeta (petrol) range, the base 1.1 versions have slightly lower FE compared to the more powerful 1.4 GLX Xeta because the higher torque and extra power of the 1.4 enables effortless driving in traffic.

but remember the torque is just one of the parameters for good FE. it depends on lot of things like driving style, traffic conditions, quality of fuel apart from the basic tuning of the engine.
Old 20th November 2008, 15:47   #11
Senior - BHPian

Congratulations,

So you have taken the plunge! Please read through my Service experience and Avoid Vivek Automobiles for Service (no prizes for guessing where to go, in case you read the thread throroughly ).
Old 20th November 2008, 16:24   #12
BHPian

Hi Bubby,

Fiat cars do not require a running in as per Mangesh Kodalkar (Fiat after sales service manager), so you can go ahead and enjoy your car.

This of course doesn't mean you should red line the car but just let is go all out.

Enjoy your ride

Bye
Old 20th November 2008, 16:53   #13
BHPian

Congratulations Bubby.

I guess it should be pretty fine if you can keep the revs under 2.5K for about 500 - 600 kms, before you can cut loose on the remaining power in store.
Old 20th November 2008, 20:23   #14
BHPian

Bubby, please don't be alarmed if you start hearing rattling noises originating from the back of the car. It's just the badly engineered U bracket used for the hatch latch. These things get loose within a couple of hundred kms and is a known issue in the MJD.

I spent a good amount of time figuring out where the noise was coming from and tried various combinations - back seat loose / tool box rattle / warning kit rattle until the first service, where they prompty tightened the U bracket and latch. However, the noise is back in less than 500kms. As someone has suggested earlier, spot welding is the only permanent solution.

Cheers!
DueLLeR
Old 20th November 2008, 20:40   #15
BHPian

Congrats, Bubby!

The Palio is one of my favourite good-looking cars, not to mention the solid build of the vehicle, and as rightly mentioned by you - spacious.

Enjoy the new feel!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks