Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 12th December 2008, 14:23   #1
BHPian

Sorry, Another Swift Joining in Late

Hi Everyone,

Finally after a long wait that started in China from the day I decided to return to India permanently, my dream of owning a car again, particularly Swift was fulfilled on December 3.

After owning an Esteem and a Cielo, I was always thinking of buying a Swift this time. I had kind of fallen in love with it.

Where did I buy: Garuda Autocraft, Lalbagh Road, Bangalore.
Sales person: Hemanth
Payment: Full cash
On road Price: 5,21,026 (including 3 years warranty)
Color: Pearl Arctic White
Freebies: Mud flaps (still due, no stock), Floormats, Sun film, Body cover, Idol, Perfume, Steering wheel cover , 5lts petrol.

I will not be speaking much about the car, that is, its specification, comfort etc etc because almost everyone knows about the Swift and its pretty old in the market. There are some new features included, like the iCats or even the twin horns. I don't know whether these were part of the earlier VXi.

I would like to summarize the buying experience, my drive home and the later one or two short distance drives.

I chose Garuda because the place is in the center of the city, near to my office and also home. I also realized that all the Maruti dealers were offering the same freebies and there was no discount on the price of the car.

So, I first got in touch with Garuda over phone and one Mr.Hemanth spoke to me. He was very cordial and iviting (very obvious, right? Don't get me wrong).

I decided to visit their showroom to discuss everything, about the freebies, on-road price, service etc. Found that Swift petrol was readily available. I wanted to buy a white one, and they had a white Swift available. Freebies worth Rs.5000 were offered. Absolutely no discount on the price of the car. I was not much focussed on bargaining as I knew getting a discount on the Swift was next to impossible.

The next day the car was brought from their yard. I and my friend went to Garuda and made a thorough inspection.
Satisfied, gave him a cheque for the full amount.

Things were done very quickly and promptly. The very next day the car was ready for delivery with all the formalities completed.

I went at 2 in the afternoon to take delivery. There it stood cleaned, polished and with ribbons tied, in all its arctic beauty, ready to be driven home. Keys were handed over after a predelivery demo, and a photo was taken.

Overall the experience at the dealer was flawless.

What I felt while driving the car home was, whatever driving experience you have under your belt, it's really scary driving a brand new car. I was frequently looking at all the mirrors trying to be extra careful of the other vehicles on road, trying not to get near any vehicle at any case. hmmm crazy. (All other vehicles were like aliens to me, trying to gobble up my car.)

On the way filled up the tank and reached home safely. Then left to the temple for the pooja and came back and took my parents for a ride. And then I went to meet some friends and came back later in the night.

Have still not driven the car much as I am very busy at office. Only had drives upto Ramnagara on the Bangalore-Mysore highway twice. I varied the speed a bit and the maximum I pushed was 110 kmph. The odo reads 323 now.

From whatever little I have driven, the car is fantastic, that's all I can say.
It's damn silent while idling. I like the new taillamps compared to the boring older ones. The twin horns are pleasant. I was planning to replace them with Hella, but will let go that idea for now. I am 6.1' tall and found that driver's seat is very comfortable. The dash looks big. The steering wheel is sporty, and the steering is very precise and responsive. The lighting with 55/65W (I think) Halonix bulbs is nothing to write home about, poor illumination. Interiors are pretty cool. About the rear seats, well built or even moderately built people will feel cramped on long drives I suppose.

Till date I have received over half a dozen calls from the dealer and Maruti asking about my experience with them. Any feedback about the dealer, any issues, any room for improvement - questions like these. Pretty neat huh.

Things on card: Alloys, music system, lighting enhancement, exhaust tip, hmmm maybe more.

I am waiting to take the car out for long drives.
White is Great!
Cheers!
Attached Thumbnails
Sorry, Another Swift Joining in Late-sw44.jpg  

Sorry, Another Swift Joining in Late-sw45.jpg  

Sorry, Another Swift Joining in Late-sw47.jpg  

Sorry, Another Swift Joining in Late-sw48.jpg  

Sorry, Another Swift Joining in Late-sw49.jpeg  

Sorry, Another Swift Joining in Late-sw50.jpg  

Sorry, Another Swift Joining in Late-sw53.jpg  

Sorry, Another Swift Joining in Late-sw54.jpg  

Sorry, Another Swift Joining in Late-sw55.jpg  

Last edited by Dolphin : 12th December 2008 at 14:31.
Old 12th December 2008, 15:18   #2
BHPian

Congrats on Buying a beauty.

Yes, iCATS was there in the earlier versions also.

Twin Horns, I doubt, Others can confirm
Old 12th December 2008, 15:22   #3
Senior - BHPian

Congrats Dolphin on your new acquisition. Drive safe and enjoy the beauty. Again what are the tyre specs for this variant ?
Old 12th December 2008, 15:24   #4
Senior - BHPian

Twin horns were standard on the very first batch of swift petrols. But I think they were discontinued somewhere down the line. iCats was introduced much later. My July 2006 car does not have iCats.
Old 12th December 2008, 15:42   #5
BHPian

Thanks guys.

Hey VJ, the tyres are 165/80-R14 (MRF-tubeless). This is the same traditional size that's on the Swift LXi and VXi from the day it was launched I believe. Very skinny I must say.

Last edited by Dolphin : 12th December 2008 at 15:46.
Old 12th December 2008, 15:49   #6
BHPian

Twin horns are provided as standard from 2008 onwards
Old 12th December 2008, 16:15   #7
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dolphin View Post
Thanks guys.

Hey VJ, the tyres are 165/80-R14 (MRF-tubeless). This is the same traditional size that's on the Swift LXi and VXi from the day it was launched I believe. Very skinny I must say.

Yea ! I thought so and definitely they look skinny and tiny and is this an inadequately sized tyre for this variant? Anyways have fun and drive safe brother.
Old 15th December 2008, 10:52   #8
BHPian

Dent on My New Car

Hey guys,

It was a bright and breezy Saturday. Thought I would take my car for a spin, so decided to visit my friend in Indiranagar.

Set out from Basavanagudi (Bangalore South) and as I approached JCE Road, the traffic became very slow moving. In front of me was an Ikon and behind me was a goods carrier. The Ikon in front of me started moving slowly and I too moved ahead. Suddenly the Ikon guy braked and I too did the same. Thud .

I turned back and saw that a guy has bumped into the rear of my car. I immediately got out of the car and went and saw the damage. He was trying to make way and move ahead. He was on a Honda Activa with a lady. Got hold of his hand and stopped him.

There was black dust kind of thing on the bumper where he has hit and the spot had swollen like an egg. It looked awkward. I got pissed off. Started blasting him. You know what that fool kept on repeating "What can I do if you braked". He and the lady both were singing the same song. Felt like strapping tape on her mouth.

So please note that you are not supposed to brake if the vehicle in front of you brakes. Go and bump into it and say What can I do if you braked.

I was angry due to the reason that he didn't even once say it was his fault or, sorry. Me fighting with him at that busy junction was causing a lot of inconvenience to others. So sat in the car and drove off.

However careful you are, it's actually not under your control to keep your car dent free or scratch free. God help us.

I am not able to upload the image now, will do it soon.

Doesn't look much of a damage now because I rubbed it with some wax. But the swelling on the bumper remains. What can I do about it? Can it be set right? Any tips guys.

Last edited by Dolphin : 15th December 2008 at 11:06.
Old 15th December 2008, 10:57   #9
BHPian

Congrats on your new buy pal, but the rear bumper sounds bad. I just keep some rubbing compound stock at home for these small things that happen on the road. About the swelling i dont know, can you post the pics?
Old 15th December 2008, 11:32   #10
BHPian

Quote:
There was black dust kind of thing on the bumper where he has hit and the spot had swollen like an egg.
I own a swift and recently had a similar experience. On the contrary to swelling that you saw, my bumper caved in. I could rectify it by just pushing the dent from inside, except for little tyre marks nothing is noticeable now. In your case, does the activa hit and pulled your bumper out? Wondering how can you end up with a swelling?
Old 15th December 2008, 13:08   #11
BHPian

As you said it should have caved in but here it reflects a bulge. Am also wondering what could have happened here. I tried pushing it in but it pops out again. Other than the bulge the bumper is intact.

The bulge is about the size of a 2 Rupee coin.
Old 15th December 2008, 17:11   #12
BHPian

Can't help it Dolphin. Recently, one guy on Bullet bumped into my Sparky and broke the left reflector.

In such b2b traffic, when a vehicle in front of me starts moving, I don't start immediately. I wait for 5-6 secs, allow good gap, and move slowly such that the guy behind me cannot speed up. I don't care even if people start honking. And when they overtake and stare at me while passing, I just give them a good .
Old 15th December 2008, 17:34   #13
BHPian

Dolphin - I can completely empathize with you. I felt absolutely horrible when some one scratched my car badly whilst I was at work. I did bring it to the notice of the security personnel but he just shrugged that there were many cars parked and it was impossible to keep a tab on all cars.
Old 15th December 2008, 18:06   #14
BHPian

Hey congrats on your new buy Dolphin.It looks lovely.And Im very sorry for what happened to your car.Once a bike rear ended my car and the entire left side of my rear bumper had caved in.I felt miserable.
Although I got it repaired for around Rs 180, the marks still remain and it makes me want to go find that two wheeler guy and give him a pounding.
Old 15th December 2008, 21:30   #15
BANNED

Quote:
Hey guys,

It was a bright and breezy Saturday. Thought I would take my car for a spin, so decided to visit my friend in Indiranagar.

Set out from Basavanagudi (Bangalore South) and as I approached JCE Road, the traffic became very slow moving. In front of me was an Ikon and behind me was a goods carrier. The Ikon in front of me started moving slowly and I too moved ahead. Suddenly the Ikon guy braked and I too did the same. Thud .

I turned back and saw that a guy has bumped into the rear of my car. I immediately got out of the car and went and saw the damage. He was trying to make way and move ahead. He was on a Honda Activa with a lady. Got hold of his hand and stopped him.

There was black dust kind of thing on the bumper where he has hit and the spot had swollen like an egg. It looked awkward. I got pissed off. Started blasting him. You know what that fool kept on repeating "What can I do if you braked". He and the lady both were singing the same song. Felt like strapping tape on her mouth.

So please note that you are not supposed to brake if the vehicle in front of you brakes. Go and bump into it and say What can I do if you braked.

I was angry due to the reason that he didn't even once say it was his fault or, sorry. Me fighting with him at that busy junction was causing a lot of inconvenience to others. So sat in the car and drove off.

However careful you are, it's actually not under your control to keep your car dent free or scratch free. God help us.

I am not able to upload the image now, will do it soon.

Doesn't look much of a damage now because I rubbed it with some wax. But the swelling on the bumper remains. What can I do about it? Can it be set right? Any tips guys.
Hi First of all welcome to white swift club.Congrats!!!

Secondly i too bought swift VDI white on oct 9th and had a similar kind of accedent on 19th oct.I can understand what would it feel like.Dont worry it all happens till educated ,senseless drivers are alive and rocking in our cities.

On top of all this ,i gave my car for waxoly treatment on last sunday.i asked that fellow if it can be postponed as it was likely to rain.the guy said nothing will happen to the polish.he asked me not to wash or clean the car for 7 days.so yeaterday i washed it.and there was no sign of polish.

What should i do??

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks