Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 25th December 2008, 22:56   #31
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by iraghava View Post
Just one question for you Raj, what is the resale value of your car and how easy is the spare parts availability?? Just for comparison a Jap car (let's say the OHC for instance) will get you at least twice the resale (or more) of the Astra and the parts are available off the shelf not to mention the reliability factor.
thats what i have said in my earlier post also buddy. its about the heart ruling over the head. astra is one such car which appeals to the heart, then your head stops thinking resale, FE, maintainence, etc. i have met many astra owners in the GM showrooms, some of them had old pre-2000 models, giving lot of headaches, but they say thay will never sell this vehicle.

not all cars gives the same feel an astra does. the astra's interiors are supremely comfortable in comparison the OHC. hence i said, only those who have extensively driven the astra will know its worth. a short drive would make you feel its a piece of crap in front of the OHC. i would never trade in my astra even for 2 OHCs.

i already said, it has a very low resale, spares are hard to find, whatever you mention is right. but for me, after sitting in an astra, i find the OHC to be crappy. yes, the OHC is fun to drive but the astra gives you that 'german' feel. i know its tough to understand.

Last edited by raj_5004 : 25th December 2008 at 23:01.
Old 26th December 2008, 11:37   #32
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by RX135 View Post
The safe cocooned feeling inside the cabin, completely oblivious of the high speeds that you are doing, fine ride and handling balance, attention to small details, is what differentiates one car from other. And, these factors can't exactly be quantified like FE/features/acceleration. Whether one likes them or not, German cars are real good at giving that feel. Many people fall for that feel than caring about rest of the statistics. Well, I don't have to tell that to you since you drive one yourself.
Agreed, RX. But the diesel Jetta would give you the same feel? VW themselves is giving the petrol a cold shoulder with bland interiors and lesser equipment. My point is : the petrol engine is totally lacklustre with neither the power or efficiency befitting the price tag. And if you factor in resale, the diesel will work out far cheaper in the long run.
Old 26th December 2008, 19:42   #33
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by raj_5004 View Post
the diesel jetta 'comfortline' variant costing 18.93 lakhs on-road in mumbai has 8 airbags whereas the passat costing 25-27 lakhs has only 6 airbags!
Why does the VW India website and its online brochure say eight airbags for the Passat? Are the website and brochure incorrect? Safety and Driving Comfort
Old 26th December 2008, 21:01   #34
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Agreed, RX. But the diesel Jetta would give you the same feel? VW themselves is giving the petrol a cold shoulder with bland interiors and lesser equipment. My point is : the petrol engine is totally lacklustre with neither the power or efficiency befitting the price tag. And if you factor in resale, the diesel will work out far cheaper in the long run.
Yes, I agree. If it is between Diesel and Petrol, I would go with diesel.
Old 27th December 2008, 00:51   #35
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by raj_5004 View Post
not all cars gives the same feel an astra does. the astra's interiors are supremely comfortable in comparison the OHC. hence i said, only those who have extensively driven the astra will know its worth. a short drive would make you feel its a piece of crap in front of the OHC. i would never trade in my astra even for 2 OHCs.
I have extensively driven one owned by my best friend & then watched it fall apart too. A/C problems, overheating, pulling to the left etc. etc. it had them all. Less said about the heartburn better it is.

BTW it finally got sold for 35k in running condition.
Old 8th January 2009, 17:45   #36
BHPian

After reading the opinions here, I have decided to go for Jetta Comfortline with the TDI engine. Since it is going to be an extra 4 lacs... I need to wait for 8-10 more months.
Old 26th January 2009, 08:45   #37
Senior - BHPian

the Volkswagen showroom has opened in Chennai. Run by the ETA-Western Auto Group
Old 25th April 2009, 11:40   #38
BHPian

I have a Fabia 1.2 Amb for almost 9 months now and if there is one thing that will be on the top of the priority list while making another purchase, it will be A.S.S. The car per se has been very good for my needs with comfortable and quality interiors.

I don't know how VW fares with respect to A.S.S. They are expensive I know, but are they equally hopeless like Skoda? If yes then I would stay away from it even if jetta would fullfill my needs of safety, comfort, blah, blah, ton times better (ah ! I love German cars :( ). I am also looking for a VW Polo in future (I find hatchs very practical in city). But A.S.S of VW will play a major role in the decision.

Sometimes I feel sorry for myself (and others). A company which excels in A.S.S, manages to make only average quality cars. And most of the companies which make good cars end up with sloppy A.S.S (Skoda, it seems Honda too is following Skoda's path). IMO Toyota is one company which does a good job in both area, but they don't manufacture cars which I can buy .

God ! are you listening.
Old 9th February 2010, 14:01   #39
BHPian

Hard to believe that a 16L car does not have a AUTO A/C. Jetta trendline does not have it!. Interiors is more important for the Pleasure in Car. I personally will Say NO to Jetta, not bothered about the TOP speed or only handling comfort. when 5L car is having Auto A/C for compromising, why not 16L car have it?. A Car is a combination of Technology + comfort + Pleasing Interiors. I Expect this 3 for a Car which is above 10L. The competition is like now hatchback cars are ready to compromise the Technology + comfort + Pleasing Interiors nearly 80% for there cars (e.g. Beat, i20, to some extend Figo). The only Drawback for those car are its Engine which is 1.2L when compared to 1.6,1.9... Anyways i give 3/5 for Jetta maybe
Old 18th February 2010, 19:11   #40
BHPian

Check out my post on the Jetta 1.9 TDI Comfortline with the DSG transmission

Karizma Fan,

You have to decide on the car that is suitable for you, from a requirement, peace of mind, budget, A.S.S, and other ( technology et.al) considerations.

When I was in the market about a year ago to buy a car, I had certain requirements with weightage to each requirement, etched clearly in my mind.

Speaking for myself, I do not attach a lot of importance to 'features' unless it is something which I can't do without for driving ( a fancy audio system is an example which I can do without for example).

I test drove the Toyota Corolla Altis, the Honda Civic and the Jetta 1.9 TDI Comfortline and then decided.

You might liike to go through my post :http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-d...-vw-jetta.html

Regards, safe and happy driving
Old 18th February 2010, 20:45   #41
BHPian

VW Jetta is an excellent car. But since the ownership levels are low right now, there is not much customer feedback on A.S.S. experience, reliability and other ownership-related aspects.

VW, however, needs to work on the pricing rationalization of its entire product line-up spanning Skoda and VW (Audi can be spared). Jetta 1.9 TDI Comfortline OTR price in Bangalore is 20L+change (around USD 45K) - it's a ridiculous pricing.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks