Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 21st December 2008, 15:17   #1
WDB
BHPian

Me and My Horse - Vista Safire

I am now a proud owner of the Vista Safire. Took the delivery a week back. Though having had read Team-BHP’s pre-delivery inspection list twice over, being the average Joe that I am, was too excited to implement the list in person and went through the delivery routine quite fast. I was also bit intimidated by the attention being showered on me by the dealer’s staff, one was in a hurry to get the paper work completed and simultaneously hand over to me the documents like the insurance, receipts from RTO, owner’s manual, invoice, etc. that lady could certainly put a jet to shame. Also another staff was simultaneously trying to run through a dealer satisfaction questioner that TML seems to have implemented as part of the delivery SOP, while a third was simultaneously and painstakingly trying to explain a reward scheme also being run by TML. And me being too excited to get to my car, was sitting through this ordeal just as a new bridge-grooms first visit to his in-laws house – post marriage.

Nevertheless I will say that I was not disappointed with my dealership experience, if not completely satisfied. However, when the moment came to face my war horse, in addition to the above three staff, four to five more of their staff joined, and it was more as if a dignitary had come. And by now I was certainly feeling a bit nervous and also a bit overwhelmed by the crowd, and had it not been for my brother-in-law who knowing my situation had obliged by accompanying, I do not know how I would have gone through this funny but awkward moment for me.

Coming to my situation, nothing dramatic, but it had been over ten years since I drove a car. Last drove my father’s Ambassador for a couple of year and it was now that I would be sitting in the driver sit again, after a decade of hiatus. Being an average Joe and an adamant one at that, had not heeded to family members advise to clock a few driving hours at the driving school prior to the D-Day. There I was, neither a complete novice nor anywhere near to a regular driver. Was low on self-confidence as well, sub-consciously being aware that the new generation cars were a different ball game then the old Amby.

Cut-back to the carnival at the show-room, having the above burden on my brain and my confidence at the bottom of my boots the moment came when the horse was to be driven out of the stable and I knew, that I certainly for one could not with so many standing over my neck. Used the life line which I had specially taken for this moment, asked my brother-in-law to do the honours and he once again obliged. And how can I forget the customary Kodak moment. But before this, just as we were sitting in the car, all of us notice that the left hand rest on which power window switch is, was loose and dangling from one end. For a moment all the staff of the dealer went quite and did not knew what to do and I for one was feeling a bit triumph for the dealership was for once on the backfoot, knowing fully well that the vehicle that was having the problem was now mine.

Any way the issue was fixed and we pushed off from the show room. Well having had driven just a few blocks down the showroom, I switched places with my brother-in-law and before even I could start, both of us were greeted with a beeping sound from the car, we realised that it was some sort of an alarm and something was amiss. A tense moment for us and now a funny incident to recollect, I for one not being aware of the features nor my fate accomplice. After some push and pull of various knobs, we realised that it was the seat belt. I guess we were too engrossed to see the indicator flashing on the console or may be it was the daylight that might have made it not that apparent to see.

Driving further down a few blocks, we came to the place where my brother-in-law’s car was parked. He departed with his horse to fight his own battle, while I was left sitting on my horse ready to entry my battlefield. My battle, to get my horse – the Vista, in a single piece and if possible without a scratch to my castle – my home. More importantly, being a responsible citizen, not to cause any harm to others. And responsibly I dove, never crossed 20 kmph. The black beauty sure did turn many a heads, though many heads might have turned for the shear pace with I was zipping past but quite a few where trying to get a view of the car too.

Now enough of my histrionics, coming to the car – The Vista, from above you would have gathered my prowess and hence not much that I can contribute on the various decision making points being discussed on the forum such as the power, revolutions, NAV, fit and finish of plastics, etc.

The car, as known to all is roomy and does not give a cramped up feel from inside. The seats are comfortable, for the driver seats some might feel that lower thigh support might be inadequate especially if you are going to spend a while behind the steering, however for my city rides which are generally short, I do not find any issue.

The engine, as also know is silent, have not drove other higher powered engine so can’t comment, however, for my style of driving I find power and response of the engine, very much adequate.

In city driving, I have found that there is not much need for gear shifting, however this could also be that I drive at relatively slow and constant speed. In third gear the car does not shutter at low speeds

The ride quality is good, if not excellent, for the car can handle small bumps well, however at times though you can feel the thuds.

The in-built music system is more then adequate for me, but might not be adequate for those who prefer to have quality sound experience

Have not tried to gauge the mileage yet. It has been a week and I have been able to drive for 500km and I find the experience so far excellent

I post few snap below.
Attached Thumbnails
Me and My Horse - Vista Safire-21122008771a.jpg  

Me and My Horse - Vista Safire-21122008773.jpg  

Me and My Horse - Vista Safire-image021.jpg  

Me and My Horse - Vista Safire-image025.jpg  

Me and My Horse - Vista Safire-image026.jpg  

Old 21st December 2008, 15:49   #2
BANNED

Hi. Let me be the first to congratulate you on your own first car!!!!

Looks a beauty. All those curves and appealling catty looks makes a sure candidate for a centerspread. ;-P

Did I miss it, or did you mention about the customary 5/10 L of free fuel?

And what accessories are you planning on? Do post more info about the accessories.
Old 21st December 2008, 15:55   #3
BHPian

WDB congrats on the new car! It looks great. One of the few tata cars that are actually good looking!
Though I see the steering wheel seems to be the same standard huge thing as in all the tatas. Only complaint I would give is that I'm not a great fan of the dashboard being mounted on the center console. I would rther have it behind the steering as in most cars which is more convenient to look at when driving.
Great choice of car. Wishing you many years of safe driving! Take care of your new baby
Old 21st December 2008, 18:44   #4
BHPian

Congrats WDB on the new Black Pony. Enjoy the ride. BTW what is the CARGO thingy on the pics?
Old 21st December 2008, 18:55   #5
Senior - BHPian

ah, Vista started to pour in here

Congrats! Enjoy and happy driving.
Old 21st December 2008, 19:35   #6
Senior - BHPian

great car sir! i love those headlamps...
please do add black sunfilm and some good mudflaps, how about black sparco?
the wheelcaps look a bit odd, planning to switch to alloys?
Old 21st December 2008, 19:49   #7
Distinguished - BHPian

Congrats WDB on adding a new family member. The colour is lovely. Hope you will keep us posted on your experiences with it from time to time with updates.
Old 21st December 2008, 20:00   #8
Senior - BHPian

Congrats on the buy, WBC!

Wishing you many many miles of happy motoring!

Buckle up and drive safe.
Old 21st December 2008, 20:27   #9
Senior - BHPian

Congrats on the purchase.
More pics of the interiors please.

By the way, is it the 1.4 diesel or the 1.3 Quadrajet?
Old 21st December 2008, 20:41   #10
BHPian

safire is the petrol version rite?? ( )

I have one question. Is this the same engine We had in the old Fiat Uno??
Old 21st December 2008, 20:49   #11
Senior - BHPian

Congrats on the purchase. She looks beautiful!
Here's wishing you a long, fun filled association with her.
Old 21st December 2008, 22:13   #12
BHPian

Congrats, enjoy your ride for a long time to come! Nice description, I was a nervous wreck when I took my delivery too!

Quote:
Originally Posted by WDB View Post
And me being too excited to get to my car, was sitting through this ordeal just as a new bridge-grooms first visit to his in-laws house – post marriage.
you have a real flair for writing!

Quote:
Originally Posted by WDB View Post
Last drove my father’s Ambassador for a couple of year and it was now that I would be sitting in the driver sit again, after a decade of hiatus.
Extremely curious...why didn't you drive for a decade?!

Last edited by d_himan : 21st December 2008 at 22:15.
Old 21st December 2008, 22:26   #13
BHPian

congratulations buddy awaiting for review and fuel economy
Old 21st December 2008, 23:38   #14
BHPian

Congrats wdb on the purchase. She should look even more sexier with alloys, hehe.
Well written delivery experience you got there, me too have had almost the same experience on the d-day
Old 22nd December 2008, 00:12   #15
BANNED

Extremely well written piece of initial ownership.

Congrats on your buy, happy trouble free revving.

We are suddenly seeing Indica becoming a talk on T-BHP now, and why not Vista has suddenly become the most sought after car recently.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks