Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 9th January 2009, 17:53   #31
BHPian

Lets not be astonished with whatever colours we get in the interiors. After all Pink/Purple estilo's do sell and are out there on Roads NOM to estilo owners. Colours are very personal choice and liking.
Old 9th January 2009, 17:53   #32
Senior - BHPian

a look at the i20

Walking into the Hyundai showroom for a look at the i20, I was greeted by the good looking face of the i20 - a mix of macho and conservative. The slanted head lamps identify it with it's cousin, the i10. Hyundai look to have done what they do the best - make practical cars that have a little of everything for everyone in the looks, features and interior department.

The version I got to see was the mid level Asta version priced here in Trivandrum, Kerala at around 6.16 lacs - road tax and all. More about value for money later...

Looks wise the i20 moves away from the conservative but cannot be termed radical either. It's a mix of both. The lines on the bonnet, the crease along the side of the car that starts over the fender and runs along the level of the door handles to the back is a good touch. The taillamps look nice and got one of my friends all drooling over it. The hatch design is pretty good. One design touch I liked was the position of the hatch handle behind the hyundai logo. On a muddy/dusty car you car open the hatch without dirtying your hands something I do not like on my Swift. The Accelere tyres look adequate on this car a relief from the tendency of manufacturers to undertyre their cars these days. Alloys are standard in the Asta variant as is ABS. On the safety front the car has 4 airbags. Indian manufacturers seems to be giving safety a good shot these days. Attaboy Hyundai.

The front of the car does not looks too sedate unlike the i10. The two grills at the front look good as does the positioning of the fog lamps. However one touch i did not like was the raised indicator module on the head lamps which when viewed side on - kind of looked odd to me. Reminder me of a lizard dead with the eyes popping out.

Little quirks aside the design looks good.

Step inside and the first thing that I noticed was the tilt steering. Then I was informed that it's telescopic as well. That was a pointer to the features offered on this variant. The steering itself had a cool leather/leather-like cover similar to that in those old Zens. Felt nice. The car offered steering mounted audio controls as well.

As a first in this segment we've got electrically foldable mirrors. Good for those tight squeezes.

The dark brown color of the plastics was something I didn't like all that much. But plastics felt nice but a bit hard to the touch. The i20 introduces a lot of new features that are nice to have. It features a nice information panel that give you an idea of the cabin temp, distance you'll get from the fuel left in your tank among others. The stereo looks well integrated and offers usb and ipod jacks as well. Nice. The 4 speaker stereo quality is pretty good as well.

The glove box is great. It's got an extra vent from the AC which helps cools items as well. It's big enough for a small laptop. The car also has a lot of other cubby holes and storage spaces for a lot of knick knacks. The Asta variant has a automatic climate control.

The driver,s seat is height adjustable in addition to the standard back and slide adjustments. This along with the steering adjustments make it easy to find a comfortable driving position (at least when seated in a stationary car!!).

The front seats are pretty spacious. Hopping round to the back, the seats are fine though they could do with a bit more thigh support. I'm 5'11'' and with the drivers seat adjusted for me, the back seat had nice legroom. One good aspect is the absence of a prominent transmission tunnel at the back. The floor at the back seat is almost flat. It's got a slight raise in the middle but thats next to nothing.

Opening the hatch the boot space looks adequate and has a nice flat loading space. The boot light is a nice touch.

I did not get a chance for a test drive. Dunno how good the car drives. Guess that has to wait another day. This is gonna be a factor if it's wants to take the battle to the Swift camp. On the other side the Fadia's engine options ain't much to write home about either. However I'm gonna stick my neck out in the following wrap up.

All in all I think Hyundai has a car loaded with features. The car is a touch on the high price but the features you get for that is great. If the car's got a decent drive as well, I think Hyundai is looking at a potential best seller. Price wise it's got the Fabia in it's segment. But I somehow think that it's got to contend with the Swift. Feature for feature the Swift looses out. Not even the high end Zxi has the practicality and the features you get with the i20. But then the Swift is about the heart not necessarily about the head....
Old 3rd March 2009, 16:46   #33
BHPian

nice car but seems the asta is not ready for the customers . i booked a i20 in feb ist week after a promise of delivery in 30 days but going to dealership lastweek they told me that the car wouldn be ready untill last week of april/ first week of may. so i have now cancelled the booking of i20. a good car in the hands of wrong people who cant vouch for the delivery

note: my friend also cancelled her booking from another dealer in chennai for the same complaint.
Old 3rd March 2009, 18:07   #34
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by drashkum View Post
nice car but seems the asta is not ready for the customers . i booked a i20 in feb ist week after a promise of delivery in 30 days but going to dealership lastweek they told me that the car wouldn be ready untill last week of april/ first week of may. so i have now cancelled the booking of i20. a good car in the hands of wrong people who cant vouch for the delivery

note: my friend also cancelled her booking from another dealer in chennai for the same complaint.
Am surprised! And people are getting it here in Noida! Have seen multiple i20s now here! There is 1 even in the society where I live!
And the car comes from Chennai!!!
Old 3rd March 2009, 20:37   #35
Senior - BHPian

They seems to give more preference to exports. My friend too faced issues with delivery. I think they have to decide clearly whether they plan to sell it here or not. Cannot go on with this sloppy ways.
Old 4th March 2009, 09:03   #36
Distinguished - BHPian

The car seems to have good specs, but for a 1.2 litre engine I would not be willing to pay 6.5 lacs on road Bangalore for the Asta model. Hope there is a price correction to get the on road price below 6 lacs.
Old 25th May 2010, 11:34   #37
Distinguished - BHPian

@MODS: Really could not find which thread to choose for posting this - there are umpteen i20 Test/Review threads.

Had a chance to take out i20 for some serious long distance drive. Delhi-Morbi 1100kms in fifteen hours and back Bhuj-Delhi 1200kms in fourteen hours. On good NHAI highways it was a dream to drive. I do not know how it will handle pot holed roads.

On a particularly open and straight stretch between Bachau and Santalpur I floored the pedal to see where the top end comes. Without too much of run up and pulling drama I was able to touch 175+ (true GPS speed) while the odo was showing 180+

Plus:
- Excellent responsiveness made to order for chaotic over taking manoeuvres of Indian highways. Especially Jaipur-Delhi stretch.
- Good headlights. Stock lights were put to full use. Going out almost 80% of driving distance was at night. Coming back 40%.
- Good Braking with discs all around.
- Light steering that gives good road feel.
- Fuel economy of 16kmpl despite really high speed runs and sprints.
- Red console lights do not hamper night vision
- Firm seats with full adjustment positioning

Minus:
- Too much road noise in cabin
- A/C not up to mark in afternoons
- Suspension bush worn out within 10k kms. May be one off issue. The car goes for service tomorrow.

Trace of both journeys.
Going out:
Name:  Screenshot1.png
Views: 2532
Size:  253.1 KB

Coming back: Areas in red are speeds north of 100kmph.
Name:  Screenshot3.png
Views: 827
Size:  128.6 KB

Last edited by sudev : 25th May 2010 at 11:49.
Old 25th May 2010, 13:24   #38
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sudev
Had a chance to take out i20 for some serious long distance drive. Delhi-Morbi 1100kms in fifteen hours and back Bhuj-Delhi 1200kms in fourteen hours. On good NHAI highways it was a dream to drive. I do not know how it will handle pot holed roads.
snip

hey, Silly question.. would this be the 1.4 crdi version or the 1.2 petrol?

Last edited by spyking : 25th May 2010 at 13:26. Reason: Added the quote
Old 25th May 2010, 14:07   #39
Distinguished - BHPian

Oh my bad - It is 1.4crdi
Old 28th May 2010, 07:47   #40
Distinguished - BHPian

Overall it returned average of 17kpl for the entire trip. I do not know if it is good or bad for highway driving vis other owners of i20
Old 30th May 2010, 01:09   #41
Senior - BHPian

Woooh thats FAASSTT...

Sir,

What time did u start from here ?
Old 31st May 2010, 11:42   #42
Distinguished - BHPian

Was in Delhi and Gurgaon before the start. Gurgaon toll out was 1630

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks