Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 29th January 2009, 10:42   #16
BHPian

Hello ANjan.. you have a lot of time till april. Test drive as many cars as possible to make sure you get your purchase right!

@MODS- This thread is in the wrong section.

Elito
Old 29th January 2009, 22:22   #17
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddy View Post
Anjan !! Congrats and all the best for a speedy delivery.

7.4 lakhs is the OTR ? And in Pune ?
Thanks Eddy for your good wishes- this is the on-road price of the ZDi at Nagpur.

Bubby and Elito thanks a lot for your good wishes. Arun thank you too for your post which reveals the flip side. Lets get more facts from long term 1.3 MJD folks. Never heard many complaints about it.The Swift LDi/VDi are the oldest and many of these have crossed 50K kms.

Last edited by anjan_c2007 : 29th January 2009 at 22:26.
Old 30th January 2009, 04:25   #18
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheARUN View Post
I was recently doing the rounds for a second hand car, and the DDiS SWIFT was a juicy bite, but many second hand car dealers were complaining, they are refusing to take in SWIFTs under the park and sell scheme. It seems there are issues cropping up.

Look at the potential factors
- Small diesel engine, very less cc. I read a long time ago in a reputed automobile text book, a diesel engine needs to be 1.6 times bigger to perform like a petrol, i.e, a 1000cc petrol engine is as good as a 1,600cc diesel engine. Going by that calculation, the multijet is actually a 800cc petrol engine
- Developing too much power and stretching the capabilities. F1 engines develop awesome power, but last just 2 races. Its cutting edge engineering, where longevity is sacrificed at the altar of efficiency
Wow if your theory is right then not just multijet but all the other C segment diesels will be in trouble, Fiesta (1.4L) Verna/Logan (1.5L) are equivalent of <1000CC engines

I can't buy this theory, one of my friend in got the same multijet 1.3L in his Vauxhall(OPEL) corsa, which had already done 55,000 miles (88,000 KM approx) he never faced any problem with this engine.
In UK I am seeing more and more diesels coming Fiat/Suzuki/Vauxhall all uses the same engine and I never saw any decrease in sales due to this issue.

Some of our team bhpins can share their experience of multijet
Old 30th January 2009, 06:27   #19
Senior - BHPian

come on mates have some solid proof before u guys start something like this, there are way too may ddis owners who would worry after reading a thing like this, and by the way any ddis owners crossed 50K kms on their swifts???

we have a swift at home diesel too, a year old with 8K on the odo meter so cant say any thing now as of now though.
Old 30th January 2009, 10:36   #20
BHPian

I own a DZire VDi.
Its around 9 months old and 22000 kms on ODO.
No problems as of yet.
Couple of my friends have swift VDi with 80k+ kms on odo and they are running absolutely fine.
Old 30th January 2009, 10:45   #21
Team-BHP Support

I know someone (not on T-bhp) who has clocked 120,000 on his odo in the Swift. Nothing wrong with the engine
Old 30th January 2009, 11:27   #22
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

1) - Small diesel engine, very less cc. I read a long time ago in a reputed automobile text book, a diesel engine needs to be 1.6 times bigger to perform like a petrol, i.e, a 1000cc petrol engine is as good as a 1,600cc diesel engine. Going by that calculation, the multijet is actually a 800cc petrol engine
- Developing too much power and stretching the capabilities. F1 engines develop awesome power, but last just 2 races. Its cutting edge engineering, where longevity is sacrificed at the altar of efficiency
- The DDiS is abused left right and center. See the way some guys use it. They use it like a two wheeler, going 300 kilometers a day in the city, they rip at every traffic signal, put big tyres and lights and make the car heavy, this is bound to take a toll

Point i'm trying to make is that the MULTIJET honeymoon is over. Its time for the knives to come out, and get some honest opinions.

2) All of us have heard stories like
  1. FIAT developed the engine at a cost, and is squeezing its worth out but selling it off to all and sundry
  2. MARUTI never had diesel as its forte, see the TUD5 it used in the ESTEEM and ZEN
  3. There are so many users in a review site that complain about the DDiS
1) Well, I am still not able to understand the logic of this. I have not yet heard of any issues with the 1248cc motors. These calculations would be nice some decades ago, not now. With the advancements in technology including the injection and turbocharging, I doubt that this figure could be correct. And in case of Swift/Swift Dzire, the motor's specific output is around 60 bhp/ltr, so nothing to worry about. And now with the technology available, the specific outputs of diesels is going quite high to the tune of around 75 bhp/ltr. So I dont think that these issues are real.

2)
1) Exactly, Fiat developed the engine spending a lot of money. Fiat was in money crunch at that time and it still is right now. So just to make money, Fiat gave license to Suzuki to produce this engine. Its known to all. Earlier it was thought that the next generation of engines from Fiat that will be mostly called MultiAir engines, wont be available to others, but this engine was so good that people were mad at it and even against its Wish, Fiat had to sell technology.

2) I dont know exactly about Esteem, but about Zen I am sure it was one of the best. If maruti had got the gearing correct and AC isssue sorted out, TUD5 Zen would be better success. TUD5 was then what 1.2 Fiat engine is today. It was matter of gearing only. Just look at what TUD5 was in peugeot 309.
And this time Maruti got it right as far as diesels go. They learnt a lesson, but utilizing moral of the story for the good.
3) Please mention the source of this information.

I suggest we dont get into these rumors like this. If I am not wrong, there are many Diesel Swift owners at Tbhp and we can consult their reviews about the engine issues it at all they exist.

Last edited by aaggoswami : 30th January 2009 at 11:34.
Old 30th January 2009, 14:38   #23
BHPian

My suggestion. please go test drive linea. If i were you no seconf thought i will upfront book linea!
Old 30th January 2009, 16:01   #24
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

All of us have heard stories like
  1. New car gives 90bhp at the dynamometer, and old one is 60bhp
  2. Issues crop up only after 1 year of actual usage. In fact so many people recommend purchase of TATA cars only a year after they have arrived and the teething issues are sorted out
  3. FIAT developed the engine at a cost, and is squeezing its worth out but selling it off to all and sundry
  4. MARUTI never had diesel as its forte, see the TUD5 it used in the ESTEEM and ZEN
  5. There are so many users in a review site that complain about the DDiS
TheARUN
pl explain
1. why is there a huge waiting period for the swift/dzire?
2. pl point us to this "review site" in point 5 above
3. new car gives 90 BHP? its rated for only 75 BHP
Old 30th January 2009, 21:06   #25
BHPian

Quote:
I was recently doing the rounds for a second hand car, and the DDiS SWIFT was a juicy bite, but many second hand car dealers were complaining, they are refusing to take in SWIFTs under the park and sell scheme. It seems there are issues cropping up.

Look at the potential factors
- Small diesel engine, very less cc. I read a long time ago in a reputed automobile text book, a diesel engine needs to be 1.6 times bigger to perform like a petrol, i.e, a 1000cc petrol engine is as good as a 1,600cc diesel engine. Going by that calculation, the multijet is actually a 800cc petrol engine
- The DDiS is abused left right and center. See the way some guys use it. They use it like a two wheeler, going 300 kilometers a day in the city, they rip at every traffic signal, put big tyres and lights and make the car heavy, this is bound to take a toll

Point i'm trying to make is that the MULTIJET honeymoon is over. Its time for the knives to come out, and get some honest opinions.

All of us have heard stories like
  1. New car gives 90bhp at the dynamometer, and old one is 60bhp
  2. Issues crop up only after 1 year of actual usage. In fact so many people recommend purchase of TATA cars only a year after they have arrived and the teething issues are sorted out
  3. FIAT developed the engine at a cost, and is squeezing its worth out but selling it off to all and sundry
  4. MARUTI never had diesel as its forte, see the TUD5 it used in the ESTEEM and ZEN
  5. There are so many users in a review site that complain about the DDiS
The facts you have presented are quite true, but you have forgotten certain conditions in whose context they have been told.

About points 1 and 2 in potential factors - Yes, a diesel engine NEEDED to be 1.6 times bigger to perform like a petrol, but that was ages ago. Now, simply said, newer technology has been developed and using better material and more precise engineering, the diesel engine can handle that extra stress and abuse it takes.And about F1 engines - They dont sacrifice longevity just for performance, they also do it for less space. Hence the equation there is totally different.

about point 3 - Yes you are absolutely true. People here have abused Swift like hell. But that doesnt lead to a conclusion that the engine is bad does it? Its just that its being made to take more than it can handle, and thats the user's problem, not the engines!
Old 30th January 2009, 23:01   #26
Distinguished - BHPian

The same 1248 cc Fiat MJD fitted in the Fiat Punto since its launch by the auto major FIAT has indeed resurrected Fiat's fortunes. Fiat had a free fall and was on the brink of bankruptcy by 2004-05.GM bought shares in the company and the Fiat Punto with a 1.3MJD option was launched. Now 2005-2009 is a pretty long period and had the Punto's engines conked off at 50K kms numerous legal suits would be fought apart from a bad press publicity.And given that Fiat would never have launched this engine in other countries. Now not only Fiat but Tata and Maruti are cosying up going steady with the 1.3MJD. That gives us reasons to believe that the 1.3 MJD is bullet-proof.
Old 31st January 2009, 22:31   #27
Distinguished - BHPian

The latest shades for the DZire available include
-Solid Bright Red
-Pearl Metallic Arctic white
-Metallic Midnight Black
-Metallic Silky Silver
-Metallic Sovereign Blue
-Metallic Clear Beige
-Metallic Azure Grey
Old 24th February 2009, 15:30   #28
Senior - BHPian

anjan, congratulations for your new buy, good car with fiat knowned engine doing wonders for maruti. Goin to be my next buy for sure. Looking forward for your early delivery and a review of your buy along with pics.CHEERS!!!
Old 24th February 2009, 18:53   #29
TOR
BHPian

Congrats on the buy!

Welcome to the dzire club(personally own a 6 month old VDi run 5K plus with no issues at all).
Old 5th March 2009, 22:57   #30
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TOR View Post
Congrats on the buy!

Welcome to the dzire club(personally own a 6 month old VDi run 5K plus with no issues at all).
Thanks TOR I am still awaiting my turn and just don't know when the DZire will be mine.They told me April first week and thats not far. Will post updates.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks