Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 30th March 2009, 12:20   #46
BHPian

DanC, Congrats for the great new mile muncher!

Great machine, Good Equipments & Technology with Exceptional Gear Box.

This seems to be going your way and you are having the great time with the machine and A.S.S. Wish it remains the same way all through.
Old 3rd April 2009, 10:01   #47
ACM
Distinguished - BHPian

I guess Skoda owners may have a LOT of good *** experiences. (I have had many myself at JMD's units in Mumbai.). But i guess terrible experiences too have happened for others. (Numereins Mumbai). Am a guy whos car has had major defects rectified in the first 2 years (under warranty) and post that out of pocket.

At some level, besides *** the car has some components in the first batch that were not homologated for the indian conditions. keep hearing of drop in spare part costs, and change of the components to newer designed ones in the newer lauras.

The couple of major instances of poor support by this specific dealer has cost the brand dearly on this site. The company could have handled this so much better. I think the intentions were good but the execution poor. My personal opinion of most Legal Aids that companies have is quite poor, and the advice they give does more harm than good. Companies must use their discretion at times and go beyound the legal way out.

We do know that skoda guys see this site. If you were too look at it from a certain point of view the dealer who did not charge / note down the coin that was found in the CD changer could be penalized by the company and made to pay for it. Though the Dealer has thankfully supported the customer technically the customer is at fault on the Coin in Cd case. The same would be the case with other companies.

Guess all *** is not as bad as it is made out to be.
Old 3rd April 2009, 10:45   #48
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACM View Post
I guess Skoda owners may have a LOT of good *** experiences. (I have had many myself at JMD's units in Mumbai.). But i guess terrible experiences too have happened for others. (Numereins Mumbai). Am a guy whos car has had major defects rectified in the first 2 years (under warranty) and post that out of pocket.

At some level, besides *** the car has some components in the first batch that were not homologated for the indian conditions. keep hearing of drop in spare part costs, and change of the components to newer designed ones in the newer lauras.

The couple of major instances of poor support by this specific dealer has cost the brand dearly on this site. The company could have handled this so much better. I think the intentions were good but the execution poor. My personal opinion of most Legal Aids that companies have is quite poor, and the advice they give does more harm than good. Companies must use their discretion at times and go beyound the legal way out.

We do know that skoda guys see this site. If you were too look at it from a certain point of view the dealer who did not charge / note down the coin that was found in the CD changer could be penalized by the company and made to pay for it. Though the Dealer has thankfully supported the customer technically the customer is at fault on the Coin in Cd case. The same would be the case with other companies.

Guess all *** is not as bad as it is made out to be.
I agree, I have had mine for 2 years and have not had any issues with the car or the A.S.S., they have, in fact, dissuaded me from spending out of my pocket on things like rim upgrade to 17" (original rims on display in their shop), 3M exterior polish (saying it is not due yet). The A.S.S. did replace my horn under warranty even though I felt guilty about it - I do use the horn extensively (perhaps excessively).

The legal issues someone on TBHP has with Skoda, the dispute is with the dealer and there seem to be several misunderstandings, misinterpretations, misconceptions, wrong understanding of the law and legal process etc.. On the other hand, Skoda have not covered themselves in glory either, having put their feet in their mouth instead of tactfully defusing a simple issue. Unfortunately, TBHP threads have turned into lynching mobs who have decided that one party is guilty without seeing and appreciating the evidence of, forget both, even one side!

Yes, I know that I might get flamed for this post but this is the truth - the other side, which for the moment is not in favour.

Cheers,
Old 3rd April 2009, 11:23   #49
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ravveendrra View Post
Yes, my experiences with the Skoda A.S.S. have been pretty good too.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ardy View Post
I have had some pleasant service trips to Skoda dealer too ...
Quote:
I agree, I have had mine for 2 years and have not had any issues with the car or the A.S.S

Yes, I know that I might get flamed for this post but this is the truth
1. You wil not get flamed if you state your opinion plainly. Yes there have been a few disgruntled posts with statements like "Skoda go Home" or "I would slap Skoda" but there have also been many posts that offer Skoda a lot of good constructive advice. TBHP does not filter posts unless they are obviously abusive, off topic or fall foul of TBHP's rules or posting ettiquitte.
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/announ...etiquette.html

2. We at TBHP and me persoanlly are glad to know that many of us are having reasonable experiences with Skoda dealers. However I believe that (a) SKoda parts cost more than that of their competitors and (b) Skoda parts need to be replaced sooner than that of their competitors. This raises the total cost of ownership by a considerable ammount. I would guestimate (a crude and very approximate guess) that over a life time (7 years, 100K) a Skoda might cost about 3 times as much to maintain than a Accord, Civic, or Corolla. So if you spend 1L over 100K on a Civic or Corolla you will spend 3L on a Skoda.

Quote:
Originally Posted by danc View Post
I have been seeing a lot of skoda bashing directed at the A.S.S timed with the lauch of new Superb and the news about Laura facelift. To me a lot of it appears to be highly opiniated in almost the same way as Honda is defended in whatever thay do even if it is raising the prices on already overpriced cars.
Honda has been 'bashed' too. That 3 or 4 mods own Skoda (vRS) is proof enough that we are not biased against Skoda.

That Honda decided to charge 6L more for the V6 version was not appreciated by most on TBHP.

The difference being that
1. Skoda has more poor service complaints than Honda despite selling fewer cars
2. Honda/Toyota parts are cheaper than Skoda
3. Honda/Toyota parts do not need to be replaecd as fast as Skoda

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
sticking to the same wheel size + fatter rubber is probably the way to go.
Exactly. My tyres are in their 5 year. The tread is wearing thin. I am going to enjoy the extra traction I get with the thin tread tyre till the monsoon and then switch. The tread is essential during the monsoons.
Old 3rd April 2009, 11:51   #50
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by navin View Post

2. We at TBHP and me persoanlly are glad to know that many of us are having reasonable experiences with Skoda dealers. However I believe that (a) SKoda parts cost more than that of their competitors and (b) Skoda parts need to be replaced sooner than that of their competitors. This raises the total cost of ownership by a considerable ammount. I would guestimate (a crude and very approximate guess) that over a life time (7 years, 100K) a Skoda might cost about 3 times as much to maintain than a Accord, Civic, or Corolla. So if you spend 1L over 100K on a Civic or Corolla you will spend 3L on a Skoda.

The difference being that
1. Skoda has more poor service complaints than Honda despite selling fewer cars
2. Honda/Toyota parts are cheaper than Skoda
3. Honda/Toyota parts do not need to be replaecd as fast as Skoda
Thanks Navin,

I agree with you on the higher costs of spares and in fact mentioned it in my first post of this thread and factored the same in a similar way as you have here in my own TCO analysis, of course no one can factor what Harish has been going through.

Cheers,

Danc
Old 13th April 2009, 15:32   #51
BHPian

Another visit to the workshop,

There was a bubble in the front left tyre. It was replaced without any fuss.

Also got a complimentary washing interior cleaning done. It was of extremely good quality in terms of the time they spent and the details they took care of, ensuring that the dust was blown off from all the little nooks and corners.

The gate pass received again with the same amount payable as in my previous visit, Nil.

Since I have a 3 years 50k all inclusive regular services package (@ 11.111K only, I don't know why people are complaining about even the regular services costs for Skoda..?), I hope my experience remains the same.

Cheers,

Danc
Old 4th May 2009, 17:52   #52
BHPian

An update:

Over the past couple of weeks on intermittently (Once in 10 times) the car would die off when I would try to start. When it came back the trip and clock would be reset. It would start though if I took the key out open the door, and close it back.

Last week it though, when I was geeting ready to go home it did the same in my office parking and would not come back.

Time to call the dealer helpline.

They promptly sent the mechanic and the problem was that the battery connections were not tight. They would lose contact off and on and with the thud of the door would come back. I asked as to why it was not caught in the PDII they check everything by hand and this may not have been loose enough if checked by hand. anyways within 35mins of my making the call at the helpline I was back on the road. No money involved again, though i tipped the mechanic for promptly attending the call and not making the rush hour traffic excuses etc.

Have driven the car more than 200Kms since then and it is working perferctly now.

Im thoroughly enjoying the car and the drive, but my family has started complaining that I drive rash now (as comapred to my drive on Baleno).. The only plausible explanation I have to them is that Im able to accelerate more and hence overtake more, but I always do that while the road is clear and never on the blind curves etc. They are not totally convinced though as the accelaration gives a rush they are not used to

So Pete's have to wait!

Cheers!

Danccc
Old 4th May 2009, 18:45   #53
BHPian

Danc, just read your post and thread - congrats on your new car and obviously can see you are enjoying it proudly. Skoda reminds me of my VW Passat I had and why not - the company has a collaboration with VW. Haven't driven one...yet, but if the drive is similar to a Passat then I feel you have full right to go crazy with it. Passat was one amazing car I owned and so, I think, Skoda is
Old 4th May 2009, 19:03   #54
BHPian

you are 1 satisfied skoda customer. good to hear that!
Old 4th May 2009, 20:50   #55
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by white_vdi View Post
you are 1 satisfied skoda customer. good to hear that!
Considering the misery many Skoda owners have to go through, I sincerely hope and pray that it stays that way!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allroad View Post
Danc, just read your post and thread - congrats on your new car and obviously can see you are enjoying it proudly. Skoda reminds me of my VW Passat I had and why not - the company has a collaboration with VW. Haven't driven one...yet, but if the drive is similar to a Passat then I feel you have full right to go crazy with it. Passat was one amazing car I owned and so, I think, Skoda is
Thanks Allroad. I cannot say if it is similar to a Passat (I won't think so as Passat is a different segment, maybe Superb would match or beat it), but I did drive the Jetta and found the Laura better.
Old 5th May 2009, 23:45   #56
Senior - BHPian

No grin?

Quote:
Originally Posted by danc View Post
Im thoroughly enjoying the car and the drive, but my family has started complaining that I drive rash now (as comapred to my drive on Baleno).. The only plausible explanation I have to them is that Im able to accelerate more and hence overtake more, but I always do that while the road is clear and never on the blind curves etc. They are not totally convinced though as the accelaration gives a rush they are not used to

So Pete's have to wait!

Cheers!

Danccc
Haven't your family commented on a silly grin that you have on your face every time you take the wheel? Most of us who drive the Skoda in India have it!

If you put the Pete's box in (with Cotton Green filter) that silly grin transforms into a maniac grin.

Glad to know you are enjoying you car.

Cheers,
Old 6th May 2009, 13:06   #57
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Unfortunately, TBHP threads have turned into lynching mobs who have decided that one party is guilty without seeing and appreciating the evidence of, forget both, even one side!
Allow me to correct you on this point : I HAVE heard both sides out, and reviewed the case documentation. In my judgement, Skoda is in the wrong and there is simply no second side to that. They've behaved like an absolute bunch of monkeys with a customer who has paid them 12 lakh rupees of his hard earned money. Skoda has ABSOLUTELY no right to behave in such a shockingly dubious manner.

If Skoda has been blasted on Team-BHP threads, let me assure you that they very well deserve it. You are one owner of a Skoda, I have access to hundreds of ownership reviews from actual Skoda owners. Over 60% of them are dissatisfied with the service they receive and have given Skoda a poor / below average rating. For the record, only 10% odd gave Skoda good ratings.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks