Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 12th March 2012, 23:37   #16
Senior - BHPian

Re: i10/1.2: Cooked the clutch twice at 42000 kms

Quote:
Originally Posted by pganapathy View Post
Another very useful way to extend clutch life is to not load the clutch by driving in the wrong gear. Too many people in India go to top and then lug the engine at 20 kmph, assuming because they are in top gear that they are getting the best mileage. Actually getting worse mileage than being in say second or third and driving normally and also loading the clutch too much. Net loss loss every which way.
How does driving in the wrong gear load the clutch? I mean you can lazily do 30kmph in the top gear by having your foot off the clutch. This is what I understand by the term lugging.

I fail to understand the *load* the clutch part and how does lugging affect the clutch. I agree with the mileage part tho'. Can somebody correct my understanding?

Last edited by Warwithwheels : 12th March 2012 at 23:41.
Old 12th March 2012, 23:49   #17
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warwithwheels View Post
How does driving in the wrong gear load the clutch? I mean you can lazily do 30kmph in the top gear by having your foot off the clutch. This is what I understand by the term lugging.

I fail to understand the *load* the clutch part and how does lugging affect the clutch. I agree with the mileage part tho'. Can somebody correct my understanding?
I guess I used the words lugging and loading interchangeably. Anyway, if you drive at say 20 kmph in 5th gear, the vehicle will probably be at like 1,000 rpm and along with stressing the engine, also stresses the clutch. I don't know the technical reason for it though. Am sure other more learned people than me on the site can answer the question though.
Old 13th March 2012, 11:55   #18
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warwithwheels View Post

When you take your foot off the clutch, the engine's power is transmitted to gearbox via the friction between the clutch disk and the pressure plate. In case you are lugging the engine, say doing 30 Kmph in fifth gear and then try to accelerate hard, if the engine torque overwhelms the friction between the clutch disk and the pressure plate there is a chance for clutch slippage and could cause more clutch wear.

^^ What ever I have mentioned above is my understanding, Please correct me if I am wrong.
Attached Thumbnails
Hyundai i10 1.2 Magna update 3000 kms-clutch.jpg  

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks