Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 5th April 2009, 16:07   #1
BHPian

My Linea Thread - Driving Experience and review

Hello Guys, gals and everybody else...

I got my Fiat Linea on the 30th of March, 2009 and was eagerly waiting to drive it, and post my initial review here. As of now the car has done about a 100kms most of which is in the chaotic urban traffic of B'loreand a bit on an open stretch (for those familiar with B'lore, the mekhri circle to yelahanka stretch) at 7.00am on a Sunday the morning when traffic is a bare minimum and the expressway is rather free.

Well...what do I have to say about the drive and the car? She is a sheer pleasure and it was truly worth the wait. Graduating from a 7 year old wagon R, she felt truly amazing. I have driven a few other cars in her segment including the new Honda city and to be really honest she feels a really good. Theres something about the car...a certain style and presence that does not have to be annunced by flooring the pedal. Its a car meant for enjoying the sheer pleasure of cruising along with your favorite music.

The ride quality is superb as expected from Fiat.The suspension felt really nice and it was just gliding over those speedbreakers and soaking in the potholes and bumps, not even the slightest groan or whine from her. As expected felt really solid.

While some would say that she is a little underpowered I don't have any complaints as I am not a compulsive 'foot to the pedal' kind of driver. I enjoy my 60-80kmh cruises that begin gradually and build up. She is definitely not sluggish and the ride quality being so good and the road holding and stability that the stock 195/60/R15 goodyears provide, I never even felt like I was doing 65-70kmh! She just felt like she was purring along...I do wish at times she did have atleast 10 more horses though...but I can live without it...

The automatic climate control does a good job and since it always on during my drives, the car is returning an avergae of about 10kms which is satisfactory considering that the poor lass has not seen the 4th or 5th gear that often. Talking about the gear, the shift does feel solid and smooth while the clutch is still a bit hard (guessing cause it's hardly a week old and I am getting used to it)

In city driving the steering does feel a little light but in a few minutes one gets used to it and from then on its easy. Once you actually start building up speed you truly will appreciate the steering as it comes to its own at high speeds and am sure will be very responsive...oooh can't wait to take her out on a long drive into the country side

For the price the emotion pack is well worth it and the car is packed with features and acessories. The only thing that I need to get done is get some 3M sun film..

The build quality is pretty solid and good.What I like about it is that one needs to put a little muscle while closing the doors or the boot and the resultant soft thud feels reassuring

The car comes loaded with a nice Blaupunkt single cd/mp3 system and has a USB port....the only let down being the speakers that do distort quite a bit when cranked up. However with the windows raised and the resultant sound insulation the speakers at lower volume levels do a decent job...

The instrument cluster and the display is well laid out though I am not a big fan of the orange coloured backlight.

The boot is mighty spacious and can easily fit an averge adult and more...

Coming to the space in the car...there's ample legroom for the driver..I am over 6 feet tall and the adjustable steering does come in handy. Even in the rear there is easily a lot more leg space when compared to the Honda City and that is a good feeling! The back of the front seats have been designed in such a manner that it has a cavity so even when a tall person sits his/her knees dont hit the seat but snugly sink into it, thereby creating some more knee room

The dash is well laid out and is spacious with all the buttons within reach both on the steering and the console.

I appreciate the attention to detail in terms of some of the features like being able to adjust the headlight levels, the rear sun screen, blue and me is fantastic, the foot rest next to the clutch, the white background instrument cluster, the vanity mirrors on both the sun visors, the arm rest with some storage and the case for keeping your sunglasses....

She is a beautiful looking car and have got quite a few nods of appreciation and have had enthusiastic teenagers riding up and down the road to have a look when she is parked outside the house.

Am looking forward to a drive out on the highway and truly get to know the Linea and rest assured will write about it here..Hope you enjoyed reading this post as much as I enjoyed writing it...

Enjoy the pics as well
Attached Thumbnails
My Linea Thread - Driving Experience and review-dsc01171.jpg  

My Linea Thread - Driving Experience and review-dsc01173.jpg  

My Linea Thread - Driving Experience and review-dsc01174.jpg  

My Linea Thread - Driving Experience and review-dsc01176.jpg  

My Linea Thread - Driving Experience and review-dsc01177.jpg  

My Linea Thread - Driving Experience and review-dsc01184.jpg  

My Linea Thread - Driving Experience and review-dsc01191.jpg  

My Linea Thread - Driving Experience and review-dsc01189.jpg  

My Linea Thread - Driving Experience and review-dsc01187.jpg  

Old 5th April 2009, 17:45   #2
Senior - BHPian

congrats dude!
the car looks great, and nice review aswell!
How is the handling of the car in the curves? body roll etc...

cheers
Old 5th April 2009, 17:52   #3
Senior - BHPian

Looking sxy !! Admiration guaranteed !!
Old 5th April 2009, 17:57   #4
BHPian

Congrats Pranava. The colour choice is good.

But you did not mention whether it's petrol or diesel.

Considering most of the sales of Linea are in Diesel and from your feeling of less puilling power, I assume it's a Diesel.

Do post your detailed review, once you cover a good amount of KM's.
Old 5th April 2009, 18:26   #5
Distinguished - BHPian

@Pranava, congrats ! Wishing you a long & wonderful ownership experience.

Love the B&W pics there.

Quote:
pranava999 : Hello Guys, gals and everybody else...
er, Who is 'everybody else', apart from the guys & gals here ?

Last edited by condor : 5th April 2009 at 18:34.
Old 5th April 2009, 18:32   #6
BHPian

Wow! congrats on the new acquisition! So how long you had to wait? Btw: Nice pictures. Buckle up & drive safe.

One quick qn: Is this a petrol/diesel variant?

Cheers,
Jai
Old 5th April 2009, 19:01   #7
BHPian

Nice buy and an even nicer write-up. How responsive is the car in city traffic mate?

Well but the safety on and let her rip (safely)
Old 5th April 2009, 19:08   #8
BHPian

Congrats Pranava!! Drive safe. It looks like Petrol version as it doesn't have the Multijet badge on the front. Is it so ?
Old 5th April 2009, 19:09   #9
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by pranava999 View Post
Talking about the gear, the shift does feel solid and smooth while the clutch is still a bit hard (guessing cause it's hardly a week old and I am getting used to it)
Congrats, pranava
I understand Fiat clutch is usually slightly hard & you'll get used to it after sometime
Old 5th April 2009, 21:08   #10
BHPian

oops sorry guys its a petrol !!
Old 5th April 2009, 22:45   #11
Senior - BHPian

Congrats Pranav, nice review & pics!

You will enjoy the Linea all the more on the highway!
Old 5th April 2009, 22:57   #12
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pranava999 View Post
oops sorry guys its a petrol !!
I guessed it from the FE you quoted!

Linea - Admiration is 100% guaranteed! Keep her safe from the Indica, Sumo & tavera cab drivers!
It's the perfect VFM car available in India! Drive Safe!
Old 6th April 2009, 08:19   #13
Senior - BHPian

Awesome pics - especially the B & W picture with the red logo. Fiat could use it on one of their ads!
Old 6th April 2009, 08:30   #14
Senior - BHPian

Congrats Pranava. She looks beautiful. Enjoy your new ride. And keep posting about the performance and ownership experience from time to time.
Old 6th April 2009, 08:33   #15
BHPian

congrats pranav,

hope you enjoy her to the hilt...

slightly OT, i like the b/w pic with the red logo but not a huge fan of the blue tone on the rest... is it because you are parked under some sort of a blue awning/shed or have you photoshopped it to get the blue???

anyways, drive safe and stay sane mano...

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks