Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 29th April 2009, 17:38   #16
BHPian

Does that mean that they will discontinue the Getz CRDI??

I am planning to replace my Accent Viva CRDI with the Monster. Yes, giving up a saloon to own a so called small car when I have the choice and the Vitamin M for an upgrade. People say I am insane as I should go for the Verna. But I know what this car is made of. The shear thrill that you get by flooring the pedal of the Viva will be multiplied in the Getz and that's what I like about these diesels. And by any chance you pete it. Man you have a real super hatch in your hands.
Old 29th April 2009, 22:15   #17
BHPian

Started with want to buy a car to the GETZ CRDi, this is how I did it ...

It all started in 2007 with 'let’s buy a car'. Ok, something cheap yeah (me & wifey decided that basic will do):

1) The Alto: cramped, cramped, cramped. Let’s try the Wagon R - it looks more spacious

2) Wagon R : Felt pleasant, but the rubbery gearshift & pickup felt less than what I desired at a minimum.

Phase 2 - 'since we had already planned to up spend to around 4lacs, why shouldn't we look at a segment slightly higher?

Saw an ad in the paper for FIAT Palio and we had a smile on our faces. This looks good... Let’s go for a TD.

Tata showroom salesman: Saar, go for power, try new 1.6

The reaction: wow, I never knew 100bhp can feel like that

Let’s book ... But wait. A mileage of 9 in city & isn't this car supposed to be heavy on maintenance.

Looked on the web & found Team-BHP. I was immediately addicted to the forum. Spent hours and days researching hatchbacks.

Then was caught by the SWIFT bug since many keep talking about it & comes from a reputed co, resale etc etc.

So let’s check it out.

1st glance

Me : nice & smart looking, has the Esteem engine, what can possibly be wrong ?
Wifey : you gotta be kidding me. No way

Salesman - saar would you like to test drive diesel. Award winning engine, extremely efficient, cdri etc etc.

At this point I had no clue of what he was talking about coz my perception was diesels are meant for suv's, buses or trucks.

Got behind the wheel & was baptized. +s of a diesel I immediately recognized

1) Cheap to top up
2) Runs more to a km than petrol
3) Extremely refined and doesn’t rev high, but with all that turbo I couldnt believe the technology
4) Extremely peppy with the turbo & immense torque

I converted

But wifey did not (I meant to the Swift). Here is where priorities changed:

1) This car is expensive (pre cenvat cut)
2) There is virtually no space... We need a boot now (plan keeping the future in mind)

We were back to square 1, test drove the world:

1) Palio MJD - loved the tuning, was too scared to go in for a fiat

2) Vista - Nice, but yaar its a Tata. Don't know about niggles. Lets stay away

3) Ikon TDCI happened. Sedan, CRDi, peppy - what more does one need? Went with d_himan for a TD & the car was great but noisy as hell + wifey felt claustrophobic with the low seating

For a long time we were towing on the lines of either Swift vdi or Ikon TDCi. I had convinced wifey that it’s the right thing for us to do.

For some strange reason after a while I felt that it was raining GETZ CRDi's on the forum.

Chalo yeh bhi try kar lete hain. Registered on Hyundai online & I get a call. Saar Getz crdi test drive. Took wifey along (by this time she started to think that I TD cars for kicks & wiling away time)

Experiences from the TD

1) Design: felt appealing, looks compact yet spacious, a 294 litre boot (wow, 70℅ of a sedan). Wifey liked the big windows

2) Ergos: simple, yet easy to access controls, tilt steering & loads of space to keep lots of things

3) The Ride: in one word 'exhilarating'. 110bhp under 5500 rpm is like a dream. I don't remember exactly but at one point I was in the 3rd gear at 2000 odd RPM and the odo read 100. This is it, the beast; rather the monster that I wanted to tame was right in front of my eyes

4) Cost: at 6.33 lacs OTR Mumbai, it still looked steep but much better after the cenvat cut. Otherwise it would have been 6.56

5) How did we make it affordable for ourselves?

A) Getting insurance done from someone who u know well
B) Availed of a corp discount, though small it makes a difference 3.5k
C) Pestered for regular freebies like mats, flaps, sun film, anti rust coating

What I did not like:

1) Rubbery gearshift
2) Anorexic tyres - feels suicidal while cornering

Intend to upgrade to 185 Yoko’s on stock rims, as am not a big fan of alloys. Besides, have decided not to spend lavishly.

The buck stops here, the car has been ordered & am awaiting finances to be cleared (lots of paper work still left).

Amidst all of this there is one bad news. The blue we asked for is not available (Sorry its Sparkle Blue & Not Alpine Blue - Didn't know that until today); I have pushed back to the dealer to try once again. Let’s see, ill keep you all posted and will write in soon.

This post would be incomplete if i dont acknowledge the patience some of the guys in the forum whose brains i have chewed endlessly

1) moralfibre
2) rudrah
3) benbsb29
4) condor

And of course my very good friend

5) d_himan

Cheers

Ps. I havent taken pics during my TD. Will directly post after the car is delivered. And yes, thanks for all the kind words guys.
Old 30th April 2009, 08:06   #18
BHPian

Congrats 4strings.

Read the thread twice but still did not understand how can a cute hatch be called as a monster

I mean calling an endeavour,safari,scorpio or even a willys a monster is understandable.Due to their apprearance or their beastly prowess etc etc.But a Getz ??

Ok . Enlighten me.Am I missing the stuff under the hood ?
Old 30th April 2009, 09:13   #19
Senior - BHPian

Yes you are. 110BHP of CRDi goodness.
Old 30th April 2009, 09:52   #20
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lu€iFer View Post
Ok . Enlighten me.Am I missing the stuff under the hood ?

CRDi 1493CC, pumps out 240nm of Torque as low as 2000 RPM & yes its a 110 BHP mill.

The car does a 100 in the 2nd gear, and very easily. It is peppy by nature and perhaps is one of the only Super Engined hatches around apart from the Palio 1.6
Old 30th April 2009, 10:29   #21
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImmortalZ View Post
Yes you are. 110BHP of CRDi goodness.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4strings View Post
CRDi 1493CC, pumps out 240nm of Torque as low as 2000 RPM & yes its a 110 BHP mill.

The car does a 100 in the 2nd gear, and very easily. It is peppy by nature and perhaps is one of the only Super Engined hatches around apart from the Palio 1.6
OMG...I totally ignored the small cars in my search for attaining nirvana with the SUVs.

So its indeed true...Big things come in small packages.
Old 30th April 2009, 11:30   #22
BHPian

@4Strings

I was wondering why are you thanking me?? just recalled your PM then

A transformation of choice from one beast to another with a diesel heart! What else you want..Congrats!

Happy miles of driving your new car!

Cheers~
Old 30th April 2009, 11:53   #23
BHPian

Sigh , If only this car came with ABS. :-(.
Old 30th April 2009, 12:23   #24
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by absynthguzzler View Post
Sigh , If only this car came with ABS. :-(.
absynthguzzler, Which car do you already use. I can vouch for the fact that the brakes without the abs are stunning in the getzi. I am an owner of a getzi and i too was confused initally. I was amazed by the braking performance that the monster provides. All it needs is getting used to. Trust me abs is just electronics to provide for anti lock which by practise (even in panic mode) can be avoided manually itself. Both the abs and the non abs brake kits are the same but for the extra electronics and the EBD.

Last edited by ShyamSCrdi : 30th April 2009 at 12:24.
Old 30th April 2009, 12:27   #25
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShyamSCrdi View Post
a Trust me abs is just electronics to provide for anti lock which by practise (even in panic mode) can be avoided manually itself.
We have a thread on this very topic and ABS cannot be simulated manually.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techni...-abs-cars.html
Old 30th April 2009, 12:31   #26
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hemanthisgreat View Post
We have a thread on this very topic and ABS cannot be simulated manually.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techni...-abs-cars.html
True indeed what a human can do in one second the electronics take only a milli second. But then what i really meant was that locking does not happen often in the brakes. I have not locked my brakes even once all this while (FYI - I am quiet heavy footed) . It is all a matter of mind set. But yeah when you are doing 100MPH constantly then abs is a need and true abs can not be simulated by a human. Oh! yeah judgment is something one needs when driving at really high speeds.

Last edited by ShyamSCrdi : 30th April 2009 at 12:33.
Old 30th April 2009, 12:46   #27
BHPian

Congrats on the car - waiting to see the purchase/delivery experience reports and the initial ownership reports :-). Good color choice also.
Old 30th April 2009, 13:00   #28
BHPian

Congrats, 4Strings for your new buy!

Yes this car is indeed a monster, Stonker of a Heart minus safety features.

Have fun clocking miles with that great heart but always make sure to Drive Safe.
Old 30th April 2009, 14:18   #29
BHPian

congratulations for this monster waiting to see the pics of alphine blue
Old 1st May 2009, 03:44   #30
Senior - BHPian

CONGRATS dude. welcome to the Getz crdi club.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks