Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 20th May 2009, 15:17   #1
BHPian

Ford Endeavour 2500kms initial report

Hi Sandy , I too purchased The Endeavour 4X2 XLT last month and I have already driven it for 2700 kms and the first service done too. Thanks to my last week's 1400 kms trip in the Himalyas. This is my first ever SUV

I will share my experience on this beautiful beast :

FE - I am getting 8.4 in the city(you might be getting 10 due to the expressway access to gurgaon). On mountain driving I got 9.6 surprisingly. in straight Highways I got 11.7 kmpl.

Comfort - The ride is too bumpy and sometimes makes it unstable at high speed only when you are on an uneven road (dont read bad road ). I went with my family and nobody was tired even after when I drove it for 670 kms and 15 hrs and that too with just 1 long stopover for lunch when compared to our awful long drives in my Octavia.

Problems - yesterday only after coming back the AC fanbelt is making squeaking noises. I know its too early for it to cry but have to get it checked ASAP.

Installed Equipments & Tyres - as rightly said by you that the music system is pathetically awful so I went for the Pioneer AVH4150DVD with stock speakers and I am happier now(Pics attached herewith).

on the tires front I have put Yokohama Geolandars and upsized from stock size to 265 70 R16 , and I must tell you that the handling of the SUV has improved dramatically.

Bad things - Of course the suspension but our friend GTO has a solution , will definitely try that out.

Turbo Lag - I suffered due to this during the climb to Rohtang. as said by GTO in one of the posts its a cancer when you are on a very bad terrain and that too on mountains can be very deadly.

Solution - Buying this from Steinbauer next week might reduce the Turbo Lag and solve my problem. as it will increase its power from 143 bhp to 171 and Torque from 330 Nm to 396 Nm. These are guaranteed minimums , can get more too.

GTO , would you be kind enough to write something on this thing?

STEINBAUER Tuning Technologies

Now the pics -
Attached Thumbnails
Ford Endeavour 2500kms initial report-img_0111.jpg  

Ford Endeavour 2500kms initial report-img_0106.jpg  

Attached Images

Old 20th May 2009, 15:34   #2
BHPian

Gr8 pictures... Endeavour definetely looks butch!!!

Is this with the 3.0 Ltr TDCi engine or the 2.5 Ltr TDCi engine?

If possible, could you please publish the breakup of costs (Ex-showroom, taxes, discounts...)
Old 20th May 2009, 15:41   #3
BHPian

nice pics berry!
how much did the tuning chip cost you?

great review sandy! now waiting for your pics man.
Old 20th May 2009, 15:56   #4
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Digital Vampire View Post
Gr8 pictures... Endeavour definetely looks butch!!!

Is this with the 3.0 Ltr TDCi engine or the 2.5 Ltr TDCi engine?

If possible, could you please publish the breakup of costs (Ex-showroom, taxes, discounts...)
Mine is said earlier 4X2 XLT 2.5 TDCi.

Cost

Ex Showroom - 15,07,000

Insurance - 52,XXX , I do not remember exactly

Registration - 48,000

Then nic nacs of another 10,000

On road - 16,18,000 (Delhi)

now the best part - I got Rs 25,000 off as corporate discount and another 10,000 by squeezing his neck and repeated threats of buying the Pajero or waiting for Fortuner (Which I never wanted to )

Quote:
Originally Posted by white_vdi View Post
nice pics berry!
how much did the tuning chip cost you?

great review sandy! now waiting for your pics man.
The tuning box costed me Rs. 51,500 , they have an optional wireless remote to turn off or on the box. it is for Rs.7,000, but I am not buying that because there is no use as they give a normal switch which can be installed near the steering.
Following are the specs

Ford Ranger 2.5 TDCI 105 kW

Engine:
R4
Cylinder Capacity:
2500 ccm

Existing products
Power enhancement

Power enhancement

kW PS NM

Original: 105 kW 143 PS 330 NM

Power enhancement: 126 kW 171 PS 396 NM

Price: 798 € incl. 20 % VAT

Accessory

STEINBAUER switch on/off
Product Type: Additional article
Price: 8,4 € incl. 20 % VAT
Old 20th May 2009, 16:22   #5
BHPian

Hey Berry - Thanks for the insightful report. Black colour looks awesome, and if it was not for our previous two vehicles being black, I would have gone for it too. The pics look stunning and motivates me to take some photos when I am on a trip to the hills early June.

FE - We do drive sometimes through the gurgaon expressway and bulk of the driving has been in Gurgaon, which is a lot better than driving in Delhi. Like I mentioned, I got an FE of 9 this time around with regular diesel. Which grade of fuel do you use?

ICE - Do share the photo of the new head unit. Did you get a new fascia plate, and from where? Also, the stock speakers are quite bad, I have upgraded to JBL's for around Rs 8K with dramatic improvements. Try doing that when you get a chance.

Tyres - I considered replacing them on day 1, but was getting very little for the stock tyres. Will probably replace them at the end of 2 years.

Turbo lag - How much does the Steinbauer tuning chip cost? And does it affect Ford warranty on anything?

Will post my pictures latest by June 10 when I get back from my planned trip. Can't wait to take this new beast to the hills.

For 4X2 Limited, the ex-showroom price in Delhi was Rs 15.95 lacs, insurance was Rs 40K odd, and OTR price was Rs 16.91. I got a corporate discount of Rs 25K and Rs 1,350 off on the mats (can you believe this!! Taking money out of Ford dealers is no mean job and the credit goes to my dear wife). Additional costs included (1) Ladder for Rs 14.5K, (2) Rear park assist (for show only) for Rs 7K, (3) Horn to be installed when it gets back in stock for Rs 1.3K (4) Bull guard for Rs 6.5K, (5) Rear view camera for Rs 6.5K, (6) Rear parking sensors (2 sensor kit) for Rs 1.2K, (7) all season plastic mats on top of Ford mats for Rs 750 and (8) ICE for Rs 44K. Wishlist includes a portable fridge for the upcoming trip for Rs 6.8K and tyres after 2 years.

Cheers,
Sandy
Old 20th May 2009, 16:49   #6
BHPian

Good Deal...Thanks.

The power increase seems substantial...Awaiting your detailed review after the Tuning Box Upgrade.

Did you contact Petes (Pete's Automotive Products Pvt Limited) for the Tuning Box? I heard that they have a tuning box for Endeavour as well but looks like their website is not updated.
Old 20th May 2009, 17:14   #7
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Digital Vampire View Post
Good Deal...Thanks.

The power increase seems substantial...Awaiting your detailed review after the Tuning Box Upgrade.

Did you contact Petes (Pete's Automotive Products Pvt Limited) for the Tuning Box? I heard that they have a tuning box for Endeavour as well but looks like their website is not updated.
I did contact Petes ,they dont have it for Endy ,they are fiting the Fiesta one to it. Also Petes keeps this stuff from an American Co. called PSI Technologies. Went to the website too but I am not impressed with this company. However this Steinbauer seems to be quite good and is very popular in EU among the consumers as well as the car companies too. So I am going for it.

@ Sandy

I got 4,200 for my MRF stock tires which I hated to the core of my heart. Got Geolandars for 7,200 before reducing 4,200 of MRFs. How much were you getting for your Tires?

Which Bullbar have you got? please put the pics here ASAP. I am finding the bullbar which used to come with the Hurricane model if you remember, Have you seen it at Harpreet Ford ?

NCR ford sells the ladder at Rs.13,500 , does the ladder obstruct the vision?

I am quite happy with the speakers output.

Pic of my HU can be found at this topic where you can have others' views as well for the HU set ups in the Endy
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/sound-...ur-iced-3.html
Old 20th May 2009, 17:52   #8
BHPian

Hi - I will post the picture of the bullguard tomorrow. Have purchased it from Khan Market. If I have the card of the store, I will PM you. By the way, I tried replying to your PM, but got an error message that you do not accept PM's.

I was offered Rs 2,650 for the stock MRF by Reliance Autozone in Gurgaon, which I thought was a rip off. Had they offered Rs 4,200, I would have got them changed.

Ladder does not obsstruct the view, but if you get the park assist mirror to go with it (which I did because my wife thought it looks cool), it does obstruct the view a bit. Harpreet Ford sold it for higher.

Let me check out the HU, and will post questions to that thread if I have any.

Cheers,

Sandy
Old 20th May 2009, 19:54   #9
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandy16000 View Post
Hi - I will post the picture of the bullguard tomorrow. Have purchased it from Khan Market. If I have the card of the store, I will PM you. By the way, I tried replying to your PM, but got an error message that you do not accept PM's.

I was offered Rs 2,650 for the stock MRF by Reliance Autozone in Gurgaon, which I thought was a rip off. Had they offered Rs 4,200, I would have got them changed.

Ladder does not obsstruct the view, but if you get the park assist mirror to go with it (which I did because my wife thought it looks cool), it does obstruct the view a bit. Harpreet Ford sold it for higher.

Let me check out the HU, and will post questions to that thread if I have any.

Cheers,

Sandy
I too purchased the bull guard from Khan Market , it is very difficult to find a good looking bull bar al least in Delhi.

On the Wifey front , mine thinks that the Ladder is cool , Though I have not bought it as of now because there is no use of it rather than just looks.

Also ever thought why our Endys do not have tail light bulbs installed from the co. ? I dont have an answer to this , even Ford people don't know about it.
Old 20th May 2009, 20:39   #10
rippergeo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Berry View Post
I did contact Petes ,they dont have it for Endy ,they are fiting the Fiesta one to it. Also Petes keeps this stuff from an American Co. called PSI Technologies. Went to the website too but I am not impressed with this company. However this Steinbauer seems to be quite good and is very popular in EU among the consumers as well as the car companies too. So I am going for it.

Did you contact Pete's at cochin? or did you contact a dealer?
I'm using the PSI tuning box on the 2.5 liter endy. It costs around 30k, and is complete VFM. The stopwatch says I have slashed 3 secs on my 0-100, and It can spin the wheels endlessly in 1st gear and powerslide at will in 2nd and 3rd gears. The torque gains are silly!
Have driven it for 7000kms so far, and cant imagine taking it off now.

The Fiesta's tuning box costs 40k, and wouldnt fit the endy. Who did you talk to?

Old 20th May 2009, 20:48   #11
Senior - BHPian

im guessing parking will be hell with the pathetic turning radius.
nice pics btw , One of the best looking suv's available in India
Old 20th May 2009, 20:53   #12
Distinguished - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)
Rear susspension and Petes

Quote:
Bad things - Of course the suspension but our friend GTO has a solution , will definitely try that out.
Quote:
Originally Posted by rippergeo View Post
I'm using the PSI tuning box on the 2.5 liter endy. It costs around 30k, and is complete VFM. The stopwatch says I have slashed 3 secs on my 0-100, and It can spin the wheels endlessly in 1st gear and powerslide at will in 2nd and 3rd gears. The torque gains are silly!
Have driven it for 7000kms so far, and cant imagine taking it off now.
What is the impact on your Fuel Efficience? Any major decrease?
Old 20th May 2009, 21:06   #13
rippergeo

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4x4addict View Post
What is the impact on your Fuel Efficience? Any major decrease?
Mileage has gone up by 1 kmpl if driven normally, i.e getting 11kmpl on highways and on ghats, this is usually when i'm travelling with family.
If ripped mercilessly, it drops to 9kmpl. Which is what is happens most of the time

Old 21st May 2009, 08:46   #14
BHPian

Quote:
I too purchased the bull guard from Khan Market , it is very difficult to find a good looking bull bar al least in Delhi.

On the Wifey front , mine thinks that the Ladder is cool , Though I have not bought it as of now because there is no use of it rather than just looks.

Also ever thought why our Endys do not have tail light bulbs installed from the co. ? I dont have an answer to this , even Ford people don't know about it.
I got late in office last night and could not take a photo of the bull guard. However, its only half a bull guard, does not cover the headlights and is all steel. Will try and post the photos tonight.

Ladder has one use I found out - my driver does not have to scratch the paint with his shoes when he is trying to clean the top of the vehicle. He stands on the ladder!!

I did check with the service manager at Harpreet Ford on the tail light, and he looked shocked as if he had heard it for the first time. The service engineer simply said these are reflectors only Can one install bulbs, is it wired up?

Thanks for your PM, will call the guy today to check on the fascia adaptor.

Take care,

Sandy
Old 23rd May 2009, 00:42   #15
Distinguished - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Does Pete have a dyno to verify bhp/torque output at the wheels? Just curious how we can verify claims of significant bhp increase.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks