Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 6th July 2009, 22:57   #31
BANNED

Above the AC vents, there are 4 slots for switches. The extreme right has the hazard light switch. The remaining 3 are blank. In export versions they are used for the foglamps, rear wiper and defogger. I think the wagon R VXi had the switches for the wiper and foglamps. I think they are the same size as the Alto. Does anyone know the part numbers? I want to order the foglamp switch as I'm not happy with the current one.
Old 7th July 2009, 09:53   #32
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Furious55 View Post
The foglamps are not MGA. However they are the same as those used on the Wagon R. The mounting plate (Black) is different though. I got them from an accessories shop with the mounting plate and wiring harness. The price for MGA (Wagon R) is about Rs.2500/- whereas I paid just Rs.1000/- for everything.

Most dealers don't even know that foglamps can be fitted to an Alto.

Thanks. Is there any possibility of the warranty being affected if we get them fitted by non-MGA?
Old 7th July 2009, 09:59   #33
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gansan View Post
Thanks. Is there any possibility of the warranty being affected if we get them fitted by non-MGA?
If your dealer is problematic, then just remove the wiring harness. 5 min job. Same with the headlamp upgrade. The foglamps can remain. Just tell them they are only for show.
Old 7th July 2009, 11:29   #34
gpa
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pedrolourenco View Post
If your dealer is problematic, then just remove the wiring harness. 5 min job. Same with the headlamp upgrade. The foglamps can remain. Just tell them they are only for show.
The other alternative would be to get them fitted at your dealer itself. If you have been going to a M.A.S.S for a long time, you can talk to one of the electricians and ask him to fit the fogs. Also, a knowledgeable SA should be able to help in this regard.
Old 7th July 2009, 11:37   #35
Senior - BHPian

Most of the guys working at the dealer where the car was bought have done the headlamp upgrade for their own cars as well. So there should not be an issue. Additionally, no cutting of the original wiring was involved so there's no problem.
Old 10th July 2009, 22:01   #36
BANNED

Just goat the parts for the Boot release. Will get it done tomorrow when the car goes in for the first service.
the part no's are:
83310M76G50-Lever comp, fuel lid opener - - - 41.98
83350M79G20-Cable comp back door opener- - -87.93
82650M79G00-Striker back door latch - - -31.06
Also bought a "S" logo for the hatch - - -70.41
Total - - - 231.36
VAT - - - 28.92
Total - - - 260
Old 10th July 2009, 23:06   #37
BHPian

Wow this red alto is a beauty to just admire at. Hope maruti will not phase out this beauty for A*.

One of my friend has the old Alto V1.1 I guess and he is so crazy about the car that he refuses to upgrade, do not know whats in this small beast which still sells as no.1 car of maruti.
Old 11th July 2009, 11:13   #38
Senior - BHPian

First Service

Took the car for the first service today. See how the dealer was trying to cheat. First the service advisor tells me; (S.A.=Service advisor, P.L.: Myself, My thoughts in brackets)
S.A.:For your first service we will be doing a general checking, oil change and engine wax coating."
P.L.:What is this wax coating and why is it required?
S.A.:Sir it will protect the engine and prevent water from going into the sensors. This is a Euro II engine and it has sensors which cost more than Rs.2000/-. You will not get warranty.
P.L.:But how will the water go into the sensors.? Why is the car not designed to prevent entry of water into the sensors and how will a wax coating prevent this? And in any case this is covered by warranty, so why should I spend extra?
S.A.:Sir we just recomend to the customer what is good for the car.
P.L.: O.K. so this is optional. Why did you not clearly state this? BTW how much does it cost.
S.A.: Sir I told you very clearly (God knows when). Anyway it costs Rs.900/-. Company is not gaining anything by charging Rs.900/-. It is for the customers benifit. (Oh Maruti has become a NGO and is doing social service).
P.L.: I don't want it.
S.A.: O.K. sir, then the bill will be Rs.1100/- for oil, filter and additive.
P.L.:Additive for what and how much? What use is it?
S.A.:BG additive for the engine oil sir. Costs on Rs.480/- and it will protect the bearings. Good for engine life sir. Better milege too.
P.L.: No thank you. Just do whatever is mentioned in the book.

Now the extra bits.
P.L.: The underbody coating was not done properly. There's some sprayed on the bumper too.
S.A.: Contact the sales executive. He can help you out.
P.L.: Thanks. Now for the remote boot release. I've got all the parts, can you fit them?
S.A.: No. But the painting and denting department will do it. I will take you there.

The painting and denting department was full for the day so they said they'll do it on Monday.
Old 11th July 2009, 13:10   #39
BHPian

We have an 3 years old Alto..but its white-I have the same pictures like you,but in white!I love the Alto Lx emblem,so I shoot it just like you,but before you!
we have two more cars-First model of Swift from MUL and a BMW M3 sedan.Nothing can be compared with BMW,as it is of different class,also not a everyday ride.Swift is a good one.But,Among those three,I will say Alto is the best at that price.You will get amused years after years you use it.Previously,Alto had a model VXi-really it was more joyfull with more features,like good fog lamp,back windscreen wiper etc.
The A.C. is preety nice,so the warmer,but,just stitch off it before you come to neutral or shift from neutral-it sucks nearly 100cc power-mind this while overtaking,also the clutch behaves something unusually when the A.C. is on(like Windows 98!).Another problem for Alto is a rattling sound from door-I think 90% owners suffers from it-hope,you are in the rare 10% like me.
About your last post:
1.Do get wax polished the car to preserve the colour,I have white,so did not bother me,but, I regularlly take to MUL service for that.,Red color is very hot and difficult to maintain-wax it on a regular basis and protect it from sun-otherwise,it will turn to chewed bubble gum colour.
2.Dont tweak on those false switches-it will ruin your pocket and may put the curcuit at risk.
3.MUL behaves in that way everytime,but,they will support you when break down occurs in the middle of highway promptly.
4.You will soon learn how to bargain with MUL service centre-after 3-4 services.
5.It is a worst idea that sensors will be protected by waxing-it has nothing to do with sensors,Nor Alto is so high class model that it have much sensitive parts.It has only a 32bit computer for proper fuel injection-read the manuall,it is nicely written.Even on M3,the parking sensor is not come as default-customer have to pay additional cost.I dont know about other sensors.
6.Buy a good car cover with reflective coating.
7.Dont use water instead of wiper fluid available commercially.
8.My last point is a question-why you bought the car in Mansoons?
Old 11th July 2009, 13:52   #40
BHPian

I missed another point in my previous post.Ask your self,do you really need a remote boot opener?We used only for first week in M3 sedan.After two weeks,you will find it worthless.I know,after buying a new car,these ithches occurs,it attacks nearly every one.But you just check the petrol service it is giving to you.If you have to spend money,spend for the security tweaks.The remote boot lid opener is nothing but an lever which will run under the body and will pull a small handle like portion from inside to unlock it.Zen Vxi and Alto new models have the same boot lock mechanism wise,but something ripped off in Alto-thats the lever-remote boot lid opener.Additionally the key hole will remain there-so,elemination of that risk to broke the boot lid,does not occurs.Know that also,if they make some color damage,you have to pay for that(or the insurance-after paying Rs.500 for request for covering damage).
Dont get hurt by my posting,but these are reallity I have faced.
Old 11th July 2009, 13:55   #41
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhishek_bmw View Post
The A.C. is preety nice,so the warmer,but,just stitch off it before you come to neutral or shift from neutral-it sucks nearly 100cc power-mind this while overtaking,also the clutch behaves something unusually when the A.C. is on(like Windows 98!).Another problem for Alto is a rattling sound from door-I think 90% owners suffers from it-hope,you are in the rare 10% like me.
The car started rattling from the second day. Driving with the AC is not very good, specially overtaking. It does not have the auto cut out and cut in when you suddenly accelerate. Another problem with this AC is it makes the skin dry. No such problem in our other car.

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhishek_bmw View Post
1.Do get wax polished the car to preserve the colour,I have white,so did not bother me,but, I regularlly take to MUL service for that.,Red color is very hot and difficult to maintain-wax it on a regular basis and protect it from sun-otherwise,it will turn to chewed bubble gum colour.
2.Dont tweak on those false switches-it will ruin your pocket and may put the curcuit at risk.
3.MUL behaves in that way everytime,but,they will support you when break down occurs in the middle of highway promptly.
4.You will soon learn how to bargain with MUL service centre-after 3-4 services.
5.It is a worst idea that sensors will be protected by waxing-it has nothing to do with sensors,Nor Alto is so high class model that it have much sensitive parts.It has only a 32bit computer for proper fuel injection-read the manuall,it is nicely written.Even on M3,the parking sensor is not come as default-customer have to pay additional cost.I dont know about other sensors.
6.Buy a good car cover with reflective coating.
7.Dont use water instead of wiper fluid available commercially.
8.My last point is a question-why you bought the car in Mansoons?
1.Wax polishing should not be done too often. Once in 6 months is enough
2.The switches are cheap and no cutting of the original wiring is involved.
3.Maruti is supposed is have the best A.S.S., don't see anything Best in it.
4.I thought they had fixed prices. Better to take it to a roadside mechanic if you want to bargain.
5.I know that. Apparently the service advisors don't have a clue about how an engine works, forget sensors.
6.Will do it soon.
7.You have to use water. The fluid is a small 100ml bottle which you have to pour into 2-3 litres of water. The Maruti fluid is not good quality. You should use Wurth. Costs Rs.100/- and is "Wurth" the price.
Old 11th July 2009, 14:20   #42
BHPian

Quote:
The car started rattling from the second day. Driving with the AC is not very good, specially overtaking. It does not have the auto cut out and cut in when you suddenly accelerate. Another problem with this AC is it makes the skin dry. No such problem in our other car.

1.Wax polishing should not be done too often. Once in 6 months is enough
2.The switches are cheap and no cutting of the original wiring is involved.
3.Maruti is supposed is have the best A.S.S., don't see anything Best in it.
4.I thought they had fixed prices. Better to take it to a roadside mechanic if you want to bargain.
5.I know that. Apparently the service advisors don't have a clue about how an engine works, forget sensors.
6.Will do it soon.
7.You have to use water. The fluid is a small 100ml bottle which you have to pour into 2-3 litres of water. The Maruti fluid is not good quality. You should use Wurth. Costs Rs.100/- and is "Wurth" the price.
Yah right,regularly means half yearly.About bargain-if you first time get serviced under Mr.X of MUL sevice,when you take delivery ask Mr.Y of MUL service,in absence of Mr.X,"how the work is done,you think?please advice",he will give you lots of advice,then will give you his card.You will find the right person after 3-4 servicing.I am sure,they make some benifit from the end bill-may be they get perks in addition to their Salary,percentage wise.I have no experience about streetsiders,I think they are just not good for owr cars.I used that one once.Not bad,at least the lusture doesnot gets off and the wiper blades retains its quality.
Old 16th July 2009, 14:48   #43
BANNED

Got the carpet lamination done. At the same time also fitted the remote boot release.
Old 17th July 2009, 11:18   #44
gpa
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Got the carpet lamination done.
Could you post a few pics of this job please. Am curious to see what this lamination is.

Thanks,
gpa
Old 17th July 2009, 11:29   #45
gpa
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
You are bound to have some power loss with the a/c on in the Alto. Will get better once you cover a few thousand cliks on the odo.

The principle functioning of the a/c is same in all cars, so the dryness that you talk about is usually because the aiflow from the vents are aimed directly at the face. I've faced this issue too in my Alto but sort of got over it by directing the vents upwards and away from the face.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks