Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 2nd November 2009, 18:35   #46
BHPian

Honda Jazz - 5000 KM report

I have so far done 5200Km. Had the second service last week.

Observations till now.
  • No rattles or any other niggles so far. Absolutely nothing!!. Shall I say 'boringly' reliable.
  • Now I am used to downshifting often to get the best torque. Once you are familiar with that, driving is comfortable. Once the rpm goes above 2500, there there are no issues. Haven't gone above 120 yet. But at 110-120, I didn't feel any issues with stability. Engine was still eager to go.
  • Fuel efficiency is perfectly fine. I never got below 12 for city driving. On long drives consistently getting above 16.
  • iVTEC drinks only synthetic oil. Caused Rs 1802 for the oil change. Do I need to really change oil every 5K?
  • One serious issue I faced was with seating comfort. After a few months I developed back pain. Finally (thanks to one BHP member) discovered that if I put a 2inch cushion, the back curve fits perfectly. I have now got a custom made cushion measured to the size and shape of the seat. I am 5'11''. Now the back pain has gone completely. Also I realize that this slightly elevated position is much comfortable. Honda should seriously think about introducing the driver height adjustment.
  • Family is not very happy with the back seat comfort. They are finding the upright position uncomfortable for long journeys. Also the suspension is quite rigid, most of the road irregularities propagate into the cabin.
  • Surprisingly I am not having much issues so far with ground clearance (165mm). May be the rigid suspension is helping.
  • Flexibility of space utilization is again the best in class. It is much better than a sedan. We have carried flower pots with plants, chairs,cycle and whatever you can think of. Almost a mini-Innova.
  • AC is effective, but on very hot days, you can feel the heat due to the large glass area.
Eager to hear the experience of other Jazz owners.
Old 2nd November 2009, 21:51   #47
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bijujj View Post
I have so far done 5200Km. Had the second service last week.

Observations till now.
  • No rattles or any other niggles so far. Absolutely nothing!!. Shall I say 'boringly' reliable.
  • Now I am used to downshifting often to get the best torque. Once you are familiar with that, driving is comfortable. Once the rpm goes above 2500, there there are no issues. Haven't gone above 120 yet. But at 110-120, I didn't feel any issues with stability. Engine was still eager to go.
  • Fuel efficiency is perfectly fine. I never got below 12 for city driving. On long drives consistently getting above 16.
  • iVTEC drinks only synthetic oil. Caused Rs 1802 for the oil change. Do I need to really change oil every 5K?
  • One serious issue I faced was with seating comfort. After a few months I developed back pain. Finally (thanks to one BHP member) discovered that if I put a 2inch cushion, the back curve fits perfectly. I have now got a custom made cushion measured to the size and shape of the seat. I am 5'11''. Now the back pain has gone completely. Also I realize that this slightly elevated position is much comfortable. Honda should seriously think about introducing the driver height adjustment.
  • Family is not very happy with the back seat comfort. They are finding the upright position uncomfortable for long journeys. Also the suspension is quite rigid, most of the road irregularities propagate into the cabin.
  • Surprisingly I am not having much issues so far with ground clearance (165mm). May be the rigid suspension is helping.
  • Flexibility of space utilization is again the best in class. It is much better than a sedan. We have carried flower pots with plants, chairs,cycle and whatever you can think of. Almost a mini-Innova.
  • AC is effective, but on very hot days, you can feel the heat due to the large glass area.
Eager to hear the experience of other Jazz owners.
hi Have you installed window film since the jazz has quite a large window area.
Old 2nd November 2009, 22:44   #48
akp
BHPian

Quote:
iVTEC drinks only synthetic oil. Caused Rs 1802 for the oil change. Do I need to really change oil every 5K?
Did they insist on it (changing to synthetic), or did you opt for it?

Quote:
One serious issue I faced was with seating comfort. After a few months I developed back pain. Finally (thanks to one BHP member) discovered that if I put a 2inch cushion, the back curve fits perfectly. I have now got a custom made cushion measured to the size and shape of the seat. I am 5'11''. Now the back pain has gone completely.
cpyder also mentioned this. I have not faced any back pain so far; but that could be due to the fact that from day one, I had seat covers on, and perhaps they did make a difference.

Quote:
Flexibility of space utilization is again the best in class. It is much better than a sedan. We have carried flower pots with plants, chairs,cycle and whatever you can think of.
No doubt.

Quote:
AC is effective, but on very hot days, you can feel the heat due to the large glass area.
I am a little surprised. Because sitting here in Delhi, I am yet to use the AC with cooling at the maximum setting, and blower beyond 3. Ok, I missed the peak summer this year, because I got mine on July 4. But still July was hot enough, I think.
Old 3rd November 2009, 09:34   #49
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by akp View Post
Did they insist on it (changing to synthetic), or did you opt for it?

They said, it is synthetic for iVTEC, I did not object.

cpyder also mentioned this. I have not faced any back pain so far; but that could be due to the fact that from day one, I had seat covers on, and perhaps they did make a difference.

I also had seat covers from day one. Pain started only after a couple of months ( once I drove continuously for 8 to 9 hours, that was the starting point). Now with the cushion it is fine.

I am a little surprised. Because sitting here in Delhi, I am yet to use the AC with cooling at the maximum setting, and blower beyond 3. Ok, I missed the peak summer this year, because I got mine on July 4. But still July was hot enough, I think.
I felt it when I am driving against the sun in the afternoon. Because of the large front glass, lot of sunlight come inside.
Old 3rd November 2009, 19:18   #50
Senior - BHPian

Hi,

Quote:
They said, it is synthetic for iVTEC, I did not object.
Could you just check the user manual to see the oil specification mentioned and mention it here, please?
Old 9th February 2010, 13:58   #51
BHPian

I was trying to install Reverse parking sensor but was discouraged by the dealer. They told that because of the sloping shape of the bumper, the sensors were giving false alarms in Jazz.According to them, many Jazz owners had this issue. Other models(city,civic) do not have this issue.

Wanted to check whether any of team-bhp members faced this issue.
Old 10th February 2010, 12:13   #52
BHPian

I have installed reverse parking sensor on my Jazz and have not faced any issue so far. The parking space in my compound is very tight and these sensors help in reversing.

The sensors are fitted on the lowest end of the rear bumper.
Old 16th February 2010, 15:44   #53

Quote:
Originally Posted by trrk View Post
Hi,
Could you just check the user manual to see the oil specification mentioned and mention it here, please?
The recommended synthetic oil grade for Jazz per my service center is 0W20.

About the choice of synthetic vs mineral, I was also recommended synthetic but I opted for mineral as my monthly running is under 1k & they humbly obliged
Old 16th February 2010, 19:04   #54
Senior - BHPian

Hi,

Quote:
Originally Posted by outLANDish View Post
The recommended synthetic oil grade for Jazz per my service center is 0W20.
Thanks. What I meant was whether synthetic oil is mentioned in the manual!

Quote:
Originally Posted by outLANDish View Post
About the choice of synthetic vs mineral, I was also recommended synthetic but I opted for mineral as my monthly running is under 1k & they humbly obliged
Hmmm. The Honda dealer where I was going, mentioned that only synthetic oil will go into the iVTEC engines.
Old 16th February 2010, 19:11   #55
Senior - BHPian

5k's oil change interval for a synthetic!!! .36 Rs per km is the engine oil cost alone.
Old 17th February 2010, 13:32   #56

Quote:
Originally Posted by trrk View Post
Hi,

Thanks. What I meant was whether synthetic oil is mentioned in the manual!

Hmmm. The Honda dealer where I was going, mentioned that only synthetic oil will go into the iVTEC engines.
Well the manual just mentions the use of a premium-grade detergent oil. Don't think this means synthetic only. So I guess the dealers stick the "synthetic only" tag.

As for the viscosity, there is nothing specific in the manual. Thats the reason I had asked the dealer. But there is a diagram that lists recommended grades based on Ambient temperature. So I guess 0W20 would be the best choice for all ranges anyway.
Old 1st April 2010, 23:49   #57
BHPian

Completed 10K KMs and did the service.

This time the dealer didn't insist on synthetic oil and gave me the option. I have gone for mineral oil only. They didn't have any answer for insisting synthetic oil for the 5K service. Oil cost came to 790Rs at 19 Rs/litre.

A few month back I had to do a minor body repair because I scratched the side of the left door. Had to remove the outer skin of the door. Peninsular honda did a reasonably ok job.

Car hasn't given any problems so far. No rattles or niggles.

Of late lot of interesting threads about Jazz came up in TBHP, highlighting both pros and cons. When I looked at buying a car, essentially I was looking at an estate or a compact SUV/MUV and after test driving almost all such vehicles under 10L settled for Jazz. To me this still looks like the most sensible buy instead of shelving out a couple of more lacs for a much bigger vehicle.

In general we are very happy with the car. Very practical car, reliable, good fuel efficiency and good handling. What else do you need :-)
Old 2nd April 2010, 01:24   #58
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Completed 10K KMs and did the service.
This time the dealer didn't insist on synthetic oil and gave me the option. I have gone for mineral oil only. They didn't have any answer for insisting synthetic oil for the 5K service. Oil cost came to 790Rs at 19 Rs/litre.
Did they flush the system properly before changing the oil?
Old 18th July 2010, 13:19   #59
BHPian

Hey Biju: What are the fresh updates on the Jazz?? hows it going? any rattles, niggles, performance issues so far?? Very keen to know mate. Keep us posted.

cheers.
Old 16th October 2010, 10:02   #60
BHPian

Sorry for not writing for a long time.

I moved to Chennai from Trivandrum almost two months back. After coming to Chennai unfortunately I have to go through some of the really congested parts, and hence observing a dip in the fuel efficiency. Here I am getting 11Kmpl on an average.

I took 11.5 Hrs to drive to Chennai, apx 800 KM. My highway experience was very good in Jazz. I felt it was pretty stable.

After coming to Chennai only I realized how effortless this car is for the city driving with its feather lite steering wheel and short turning radius.

So far I had two types of rattling sounds. One was coming from the 'magic' seats which was fixed with the help of a cello tape. The other one started after I fixed reverse camera. This is also fixed as part of regular service.

Earlier in the thread I had complained about back pain,which has completely disappeared now. Never felt any discomfort in the 800 KM drive from TVM to Chennai.

Other than the rattling sound (which got fixed) I am not able to remember any issues however minor it be. That way so far it is extremely great experience.

One pet peeve is that I still did not get a parcel tray for the Jazz. Was hoping that after the introduction of the new variants, Honda will start selling it as an add on.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks