Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 17th July 2009, 20:17   #16
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sriku View Post
As I live in Thane, I need to pay octroi passing for any vehicles purchased, hence with octroi, the on-road cost of the vehicle came to 7,07,358
We have to pay 5.5% of the showroom price as octroi to the government, which is plain robbery. This is why many people register their cars against a Navi Mumbai address and save the octroi amount.

@anjan_c2007: Sir, the Peugeot engine is no longer an option for Bolero's. They have been accused of being less fuel efficient than the DI engines, and have been phased out. The SLX has a 2523 DI Turbo plant which is also BSIII.

Cheers,
sriku yes the octroi stuff in Mumbai and Thane are awkward.
The DI may be noisier (higher NVH levels) and a bit less refined than the XD3P. The XD3P was also causing problems for them as far as the BSIII compliance was concerned. What is your impression about the DI vis a vis the old XD3P if you have driven one earlier? I have done a lot of driving on the old one but never on the DI.
Old 17th July 2009, 20:36   #17
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anjan_c2007 View Post
The DI may be noisier (higher NVH levels) and a bit less refined than the XD3P. The XD3P was also causing problems for them as far as the BSIII compliance was concerned. What is your impression about the DI vis a vis the old XD3P if you have driven one earlier? I have done a lot of driving on the old one but never on the DI.
I drive the XD3P albeit with a Bosch CRDI system and beileive me its a pocket rocket. But doesn't return mileage like the DI Turbo which (no offences meant) is very sluggish and one needs to work on it to get something out.
Old 17th July 2009, 20:42   #18
BHPian

Hey Sriku,
Great post . You have actually given me good material to convince my better half into buying a Bolero .
-- Vikrant
Old 17th July 2009, 20:49   #19
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MileCruncher View Post
I drive the XD3P albeit with a Bosch CRDI system and beileive me its a pocket rocket. But doesn't return mileage like the DI Turbo which (no offences meant) is very sluggish and one needs to work on it to get something out.
MileCruncher fully agree with you. The XD3P is (or was??) really a great workhorse too. Cruised on it @ 80 - 90 kmph all day long many a time with no trouble at all other than a puncture or two sometimes.
Old 17th July 2009, 22:51   #20
BHPian

Nice review Sriku. BTW I'm fuming with jealousy after realizing that my 'high-end' Bolero VLX has an inferior audio system when compared to the SLX!
Old 18th July 2009, 05:54   #21
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MudMover View Post
Nice review Sriku. BTW I'm fuming with jealousy after realizing that my 'high-end' Bolero VLX has an inferior audio system when compared to the SLX!
Even I'm fuming here and like Mahindra.

What say we write a collective letter to them demanding replacement.
Old 19th July 2009, 11:39   #22
BHPian

@Mudmover and Milecruncher: Sorry to upstage your VLX's with my HU guys. I think the HU in the SLX is a hand me down from one of the older scorpio's and retails at 5k aftermarket. It isn't a particularly great HU, but gets the job done. You guys should get ICE's that match the brilliant VLX variant, don't know why Mahindra gave you guys the better engine, and old HU. Does not make any sense at all to skimp on the HU for the premium top of the line VLX.

Cheers,
Old 19th July 2009, 11:45   #23
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sriku View Post
@Mudmover and Milecruncher: Sorry to upstage your VLX's with my HU guys. I think the HU in the SLX is a hand me down from one of the older scorpio's and retails at 5k aftermarket. It isn't a particularly great HU, but gets the job done. You guys should get ICE's that match the brilliant VLX variant, don't know why Mahindra gave you guys the better engine, and old HU. Does not make any sense at all to skimp on the HU for the premium top of the line VLX.

Cheers,
I have already removed my factory fitted HU and plonked the HU from my Uno. And now I really enjoy the music in the car.
Old 19th July 2009, 11:50   #24
BHPian

Quote:
No offence taken Sir, your point is completely valid. The DI is definitely slower than the XD3P, and only marginally more fuel effecient. The weird gear ratios make it even more difficult to build up any pace within the city, and I'm constantly calculating in my head to figure out the right time to shift up or down . This engine/gear box combo is definitely changing my driving style and I'm having to re-learn the basics. That being said, I liken the DI Bolero to my Bullet Std 350. Both vehicles are best driven/ridden at a sedate 80-90 kmph. They both have amazing road presence. They may both be labelled "blasts from the past". And they're both a lot of fun to cruise down the road in.
Old 19th July 2009, 12:02   #25
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anjan_c2007 View Post
I've liked the XD3P more simply because its a fun engine. It really goes and keeps you happy. The old DI on the other hand was really sluggish, rarely got you interested. The DI Turbo is much better though. The turbo kicks in at around 1500-1800 rpm and makes the going a lot more fun. The old XD3P if persisted with and evolved, would definitely have been the better engine today. Instead, Mahindra are persisting with a DI turbo which they are further suffocating with the BSIII and BSIV exhaust limiters. I'm really interested in throwing away the cat con and just letting my DI breathe easy. I come from a biking background, specifically two-stroke biking, and loud, free, straight pipes have never let me down before!

The DI does however give a lot more miles for the drop of diesel though, and for an Indian buyer, that is of prime importance.
Old 19th July 2009, 12:08   #26
Senior - BHPian

@ Sriku: Did you drive the Bolero VLX. I'm loving my Storm, especially the point and shoot. In the city, its sheer acceleration brings smile to my face.

I suggest you drive one if possible.
Old 19th July 2009, 16:12   #27
gpa
Senior - BHPian

Congrats on your purchase! I also love the Bolero for its mile munching abilities and the a/c that chills you to the bone!

Scary to hear that it was almost stolen. Doesn't M&M provide an anti-teft system like MUL's i-Cats?
Old 19th July 2009, 20:35   #28
BHPian

Quote:
@ Sriku: Did you drive the Bolero VLX. I'm loving my Storm, especially the point and shoot. In the city, its sheer acceleration brings smile to my face.

I suggest you drive one if possible.
TD'ed one after booking the SLX Sir. Loved the pulling power and could feel the power difference. It's one powerful jeep for sure. And I believe, it handles better than the Scorpio too. I personally would prefer the Storm over the Scorpio for city/interstate/broken roads/slush anyday. The powerful engine+lighter body combination surely makes it delicious.

Have you completed the first service? What did you have to change and stuff?

Cheers,
Old 20th July 2009, 16:47   #29
Senior - BHPian

Congrats!!ur ride had a narrow escape from the burglars that night & it was very close.
your pooja towards Ganesha had saved you.
have a good ride.
pls add alloys,that will do the justice for Bolero.
Old 22nd July 2009, 19:54   #30
BHPian

Hi Sriku

Nice buy. Welcome to the Bull-Bol club . I had a Bolero GLX (IDI 72bhp Peugot engine) for 5 yrs. Recently sold it and bought a Bolero VLX and loving it. I also own a RE Thunderbird. What is the avg kmpl u got during Mum - Chennai drive? Just curious. Also do buzz me if you pass by Blr again - to register a R1 mebbe

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks