Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 18th August 2009, 12:15   #61
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Forget the Accord, this car makes the 28 lakh VW Passat seem pointless! Nice garage you building, Sahil. Congratulations. I just knew you were bitten by the Superb bug after seeing your comments on the other ownership thread.

The Superb is one of the rare cars where the petrol makes more sense than the diesel (performance, diesels vintage, noisy & turbo-lag'ed engine, wide price difference). I am sure you've been told this before, but keep a close eye on the after-sales. Use JMD only. I'm pretty sure they would offer you pickup / drop off, so their workshop being based in the other end of town shouldn't matter to you. Will be interesting to see how the long term reliability of the 1.8 petrol works out.

How much was the asking for two digits lower on the number plate (5555)?
Old 18th August 2009, 12:31   #62
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Forget the Accord, this car makes the 28 lakh VW Passat seem pointless! Nice garage you building, Sahil. Congratulations. I just knew you were bitten by the Superb bug after seeing your comments on the other ownership thread.

The Superb is one of the rare cars where the petrol makes more sense than the diesel (performance, diesels vintage, noisy & turbo-lag'ed engine, wide price difference). I am sure you've been told this before, but keep a close eye on the after-sales. Use JMD only. I'm pretty sure they would offer you pickup / drop off, so their workshop being based in the other end of town shouldn't matter to you. Will be interesting to see how the long term reliability of the 1.8 petrol works out.

How much was the asking for two digits lower on the number plate (5555)?
Thanks GTO. Not really building a garage, coincidently all my cars grew old at the same time. I would prefer buying a car every year or so rather than buy 4-5 in a single year like this time. Now it's just the Fortuner left to complete my 'garage' And perhaps another Superb to maintain an identical garage in Pune.

Getting the petrol superb was a no-brainer, primarily because of the reasons you stated and also this car would be for mainly city use so I would not be locking too many kms on it anyway. The BMW would still be the most used during highway runs, long commutes and night outs.

No way would I let JMD pick-up or drop off my car, I rather send my driver and make him wait there all day to ensure there is no hanky-panky. As is the service interval is at 15,000km so I hope there wouldn't more than a few visits a year.

5555 I believe was close to a lakh after bribes etc. Thane RTO is really greedy.

Last edited by Sahil : 18th August 2009 at 12:38.
Old 18th August 2009, 14:53   #63
Senior - BHPian

A 'Superb' car

My bro got it to replace his E while he waits for the new E. To my amazement his Merc-frenzy seems to pacify. He say and its utter disbelief "I can wait a bit longer for the next Merc offerings or rather jump straight to S instead of E"

But he did not consult me and so he bought the diesel. The interiors are amazing. Honda look others are capable to beat you.

I am more interested to see the performance aspect of the new TSI engines. Sahil, do write more about the engines. I know that TSI/TFI engines are new and I fear that cunning marketing from VW group might be at play. But technically speaking I love the way Germans are extracting more power and economy from punny engines, teaching Japs that its not good only to be happy playing with eco mode. :P

Oh man, I am getting all the more confused, should the next car be Laura with TSI or Civic or Altis or with the newest new ANHC as scoop has it. Grrrrrr....
Old 18th August 2009, 16:05   #64
BHPian

The Superb v6 is not a sporty car (in suspension, weight setup etc.) like the 5-series. Even with 100 more horses, it will not beat a BMW v6 on a track!
Old 21st August 2009, 03:23   #65
Awaiting Email Confirmation

Can u please check and confirm certain points as below:

1) The ORVMs are supposedly auto-dimming. When u press the little button on the bottom of the rear view mirror to auto-dim the mirror, do the ORVMs also auto-dim effectively? Or can u still notice the high-beam headlamp of tailing vehicle in the ORVM?

2) The ORVMs are also heated. When u keep the switch on heat mode, does it effectively dry up the ORVMs even when it is raining? Though the ORVMs on Octavia heat up (u can touch with your finger and feel the heated surface!), the ORVMs on the Laura (same as Superb, as claimed by the company) do not heat up and water does not evaporate from the surface!

I called up Skoda officials in Aurangabad and they claimed that the heater mode of ORVMs switches ON only when ambient temperature is <= 15 C. As if that will be of any help in Mumbai?!

Last edited by Akki_5 : 21st August 2009 at 03:27.
Old 21st August 2009, 09:03   #66
Distinguished - BHPian

The auto dimming does work well, I don't think you require you press any switch to activate it. It does it's job automatically.
Not sure about the heating as it's barely rained properly since I got the car. However have a switch for heating doesn't make sense, it should just do it automatically.
Where exactly is this switch that you speak of? The adjustment knob has way too many motions, it goes almost 360 degrees round but I don't see the point as all you need to do is point it on the side you need to adjust and one more position to close it.
Do you have a problem with blind spots in the drivers side ORVM? The left side is fine.
Old 22nd August 2009, 19:14   #67

well, for the auto-dimming part, it needs to be switched ON with a small button on the bottom of the centre rear view mirror. a green led lights up when it is turned ON.
for the ORVMs, the switch on the door does a full 360 degrees. there are five positions on this rotary switch.
1- L - left side mirror
2- R - right side mirror
3- 0 - OFF (no settings)
4- mirrors folding in
5- mirrors defogger (to the rotary left of the L position)
i don't know about the Superb but the Laura came with plane mirrors for both ORVMs. blind spots is a big problem on the driver's side ORVM. I was about to crash into an auto-rickshaw while switching lanes because of this. i just didn't see it in the mirror! but i am very sure it would have definitely appeared in the mirror if they were convex. I am planning to switch to convex for both side ORVMs. i remember having the same problem when i TD the Superb!
Old 22nd August 2009, 19:38   #68
Distinguished - BHPian

Where will you get convex mirrors as per customized skoda size from? Is there a neat add on mirror that we can get?
Old 23rd August 2009, 00:53   #69

Not done my homework yet! But i have spoken to guys at AutoBahn and since they did not know about this for certain, i have told them to ask guys at Aurangabad facility. I await a reply from AutoBahn now.
Old 28th August 2009, 20:37   #70
v10
BHPian

Congratulations on the superb. I love the superb and it really does offer phenomenal equipment at that price. White is undoubtedly the way to go. How is the performance and handling? (though I'm assuming that this is mostly chauffeur driven). In the rear 3/4 view you can actually see the awesome roofline.
The only thing i wish is if Skoda offered the wheels it advertised in the actual car too. The car looks great with those wheels but i guess it would be a compromise on ride quality to gain in looks. Enjoy the car.
Old 28th August 2009, 21:43   #71
Distinguished - BHPian

Thanks v10.
The performance churned out by the turbo petrol engine is super smooth and you really need to look at the speedo to realize how quick it goes. The engine is very silent and since I just got past the break-in period I got a chance to floor it, it throws backs a nice muted purr when pushed. Although id wish for a slightly louder note it works perfectly for most buyers who would be in the back seat.
I self drive the car very often, not all chauffered. Just got back from a Mumbai-Pune round trip and gained more respect for the car. It's highway manners are just brilliant, grips the round like a magnet even though it rides on 205 rubber. Doesn't sway like the accord when faced with strong winds at high speeds. And most of all it pushes to double century figures effortlessly.

Last edited by Sahil : 28th August 2009 at 21:45.
Old 28th August 2009, 21:56   #72
Senior - BHPian

Already run-in? Wow. Having a lot of fun with the Superb, eh. I haven't seen her around yet, somehow your 5 is easily spotted by me regularly because of the silver plates.
Old 25th January 2010, 18:35   #73
Distinguished - BHPian

Twin brother comes home

Got delivery of our second Superb this month. Silver looks good on the car, gives it a very corporate and elegant look. However, I will still keep the white one for my usage as I think the car looks best in that shade.

I couldn't resist the sheer value I was getting out of our first car The accord did once again cross my mind but I couldn't digest being ripped off by Honda again when I was completely satisfied with the Skoda already. Did not mind spending more but I still couldn't find a good option that would make me want to spend those few lakhs more.

Changes that have come, the NCT5s sidewalls failed on two occasions so the white Superb now rides on Primacy LC. I don't want to risk it so the silver superb is being swapped with A-drives at Saifee's at this moment.

Why didn't I go with the Primacy LC on this one? Frankly speaking I don't find them worth the price, they didn't improve the ride or handling all that much compared to the NCT5. Also even though the load index is same the tyres look deflated slightly due to the soft sidewall, i have however started maintaining 2psi more pressure after switching to the Michelins. The A-drives on my Altis have been very satisfied, great comfort and grip hence I choose that for this new car.
Attached Thumbnails
Superb(Type II) 1.8 TSi-img00153201001251606.jpg  

Last edited by Sahil : 25th January 2010 at 18:40.
Old 25th January 2010, 18:56   #74
Senior - BHPian

Congratulations dude. Is this a 1.8 as well? I'm curious to know what kinda FE you're getting. I guess it's pointless to ask how thigns have been on the reliability front, since you just bought a second one
Old 25th January 2010, 19:07   #75
Senior - BHPian

waw Sahil bhai! you got one more Superb. SUPERB dude.
Dealer offered any special discount for buying second car?

please post some better quality pics

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks