Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 10th August 2009, 00:02   #1
BHPian

Civic V- the last one!

Those of you have read my earlier post know that I finally bought the 'last' Honda Civic a few days ago, and it was today that I got my sweaty hands on my new ride!

This experience was very different for me as it was my first car purchase done almost 100% over the phone! I must say of course, that in spite of all my paranoia, the sales team at Peninsular Honda (TVM) was very helpful and kind especially Mr. Rupesh who was very helpful. Now it remains to be seen about the after sales service especially here in Sundaram Honda for the first few visits!

I did not have any choice about the variant or color, it was take it or leave it situation.

So an Alabaster Silver Civic V M/T it was.

I was a bit apprehensive as the car was lying in Cochin but it was delivered having run only 22km and a small scrape on the edge of the rear left door (photos to follow)
I finally reached Trivandrum this morning and saw my new auto ready to ride. By now after reg it had run 70 km and the tires were Michelin XMV8s.

Next stop Coimbatore.

Sorry ImmortalZ I couldn't call you as I was a bit rushed and wanted to reach Coimbatore before it got too dark.

I drove halfway from Trivandrum to Cochin and then my driver took over. Total distance about 395km in about 8.5 hrs (Beware the Pattikad-Alathur stretch between Trichur and Palghat) and fuel economy (measured full tank to full tank) was about 12.6 kmpl. Speed was never above 100 kmph and revs kept within 2500 rpm.

First impression - very very comfortable and the leather seats give a very luxurious feel. Lots of useful cubbyholes. A/c was extremely effective and the tinted windows seem to be quite effective looks like I will have to review my decision to put in sunfilm. Lets seem how it weathers the Coimbatore sun. Drive response is very good but nowhere near the raw power of my Octavia, it was a much more refined drive. I was a little uncomfortable, i guess i still have to find out my best drivers seat/steering position combination.

More to follow
Old 10th August 2009, 09:55   #2
Senior - BHPian

Congrats Jay,

One of the smoothest car in every aspects i've ever driven.
Enjoy and drive safe
Old 10th August 2009, 12:06   #3
BHPian

Congrats buddy... Since you are moving from Octy to Civic, you may not face much issues with GC. I chose Altis over Civic only because of the GC problem in some of the pathetic Bangalore roads where speedbrakears don't follow any standards.

My heart was with Civic though
Old 10th August 2009, 12:17   #4
BANNED

Hey Jay, thats an amazing buy
Enjoy the experience
Old 10th August 2009, 13:58   #5
Team-BHP Support

I didn't understand what you mean by the last Civic V. Are they stopping the V variant as well. They don't have an S as well now.

Or is it that yours is the last one before the facelifted one is launched.
Old 10th August 2009, 14:21   #6
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vid6639 View Post
I didn't understand what you mean by the last Civic V. Are they stopping the V variant as well. They don't have an S as well now.

The last one the dealer had in stock. Dealers are waiting for the new face lifted one's launch and hence dont have old one's stock now.
Old 10th August 2009, 19:44   #7
BHPian

Quote:

I believe it was the last V M/T available! I think now if you go for a civic you will either get an A/T or an option to wait for about 5-8 weeks till the new one is delivered.

More Impressions: I am loving this ride, very smooth, literally cruising thru traffic not as clattery as my old Octy. I am learning to use the dead pedal again as I used to rest my foot on the clutch always when I was on the Octy as I think the dead pedal was set a bit apart (or was there a dead pedal at all?)
But I am still very jittery as this is a new car. I went out with my family and literally went crazy looking out for over enthusiastic bike drivers trying to squeeze within the gaps , lunatic bus drivers and my eager beaver 4 year old son in the back seat!
I love the feel of the seat leather, very buttery, what is it?
Any idea anybody what is the OE stereo? any known company? I like the sound, very simple, neat and the controls are very easy to reach and intuitive to operate without taking your eyes off the road.

Sunfilm is back in consideration! After a few hours in the sun the car was boiling and it took some time for the a/c to really cool things down. I am thinking of RE50 or CR50 or CR70 from 3M, only on sides and back. I may go for RE50 as the cost is half of the CR series.

I have included a pic of the small defect on the edge of the Rear LHS door. My eagle eyed driver noticed at the PDI, but its very small as you can see so I did not make a big issue of it. Rest of the body is immaculate.

The horn seems to have an odd tonality like its detuned. Noticed it on the ride out to Coimbatore. Have to get it checked. Anything to be aware of?

So finally an Alabaster Silver Civic V M/T. Final OTR price of about 13.75L.
Freebies: Rear Parking Sensor (Xenos) and Honda Full Body Cover
Attached Thumbnails
Civic V- the last one!-front.jpg  

Civic V- the last one!-front3.jpg  

Civic V- the last one!-backmerge.jpg  

Civic V- the last one!-acradio.jpg  

Civic V- the last one!-new-car-smell.jpg  

Civic V- the last one!-doorscrape.jpg  

Civic V- the last one!-tripstart.jpg  

Civic V- the last one!-nightcockpit.jpg  

Civic V- the last one!-nightcockpit2.jpg  

Old 10th August 2009, 20:25   #8
BHPian

Congrats Jay. Civic looks nice in silver. Some interior pics please? Keep updating the thread about your car ownership experience.

Have fun, Drive safe.
Old 10th August 2009, 20:42   #9
Senior - BHPian

Congrats Jay. Happy driving
Old 10th August 2009, 20:59   #10
Team-BHP Support

Congratulations again on the purchase Jay - I'm sure this car will be a joy to own and drive. Can't wait to get my hands on my own civic A/T - hope to get delivery by end of next week. Reading more Skoda posts here, I'm quite relieved I finally picked the Honda.

Enjoy !!

Q. Does Honda request you to drive below a certain speed initially? I thought cars nowadays come with the engine run in.
Old 10th August 2009, 21:14   #11
Senior - BHPian

'gratz Jay

I was there at Peninsular in the morning till afternoon, getting my horn fitted. You may or may not have seen me. Tall guy, lots of hair :P

Quote:
Drive response is very good but nowhere near the raw power of my Octavia, it was a much more refined drive.
You said you did not exceed 2500RPM. Wait till you open the taps a bit. Be sure to write up a continuing ownership report. We'd like to hear about your experiences, brickbats or bloody awesome.

The OEM ICE is Alpine.

Last edited by ImmortalZ : 10th August 2009 at 21:30.
Old 10th August 2009, 21:16   #12
BHPian

Congrats Jay. Happy driving . Drive safe. Any upgrades / mods Planned ? did u manage to bargain for a discount to make up for the imperfection on the door ? civic Looks best in this colour!
Old 10th August 2009, 23:56   #13
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axe77 View Post
Q. Does Honda request you to drive below a certain speed initially? I thought cars nowadays come with the engine run in.
I remember reading the manual which said to keep from sudden increases in speed or braking too hard for the first 1000 km or so. I decided to follow the Team-BHP running in instructions

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImmortalZ View Post
I was there at Peninsular in the morning till afternoon, getting my horn fitted. You may or may not have seen me. Tall guy, lots of hair :P
Damn! I really wish i could've met you! Anyway not to worry am sure there will be many more opportunities.

Quote:
You said you did not exceed 2500RPM. Wait till you open the taps a bit. Be sure to write up a continuing ownership report. We'd like to hear about your experiences, brickbats or bloody awesome.
Must be the massive torque of the Octavia which gave me the impression, I am sure the Civic will not be able to give me that push back into my seat when i accelerate suddenly; the Octavia literally tries to push you thru your seat when you take off!

Quote:
The OEM ICE is Alpine.
No wonder it sounds good and the speakers are well balanced. Gotta love that SVC!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunilrj View Post
Any upgrades / mods Planned ? did u manage to bargain for a discount to make up for the imperfection on the door ? civic Looks best in this colour!
I am a boring guy! so no mods planned! i think the V is pretty well kitted out so I don't think anything new is required. I wanted a parking sensor and body cover which I got free. I did try also for the ashtray/lighter combo but no cigar!
Duh I should've bargained something for that scratch but I was so relieved to finally get the car i just wanted to get it home ASAP.
Old 11th August 2009, 15:18   #14
BHPian

Quote:

Civic comes in 3 variants (and five flavours incl Sports, Auto) - E, S and V. S was discontinued sometime back and put back into market since last two months. I confirmed this while visiting Whitefield Honda last month.
Old 21st August 2009, 06:30   #15
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mnhegde View Post
Congrats Jay. Civic looks nice in silver. Some interior pics please?
Just a small update. I am waiting eagerly for the first service. As per mnhegde's req some interior pics have been uploaded.
I am very very happy with the car so far. Very smooth.
The amount is leg space is awesome.
As you can see from the interior shots there is no shortage of storage space, I especially like the little coin slot on the right side of the steering.
Haven't got any mechanical niggles yet, probably too early, except the horn dissonance mentioned earlier which will probably have to wait till 1st service.
Couple of questions: Civic owners: does the rear amrest flop down like in the pic or is it meant to be straight? In my octavia it was nice and flat.
Also there seems to be already lot of ?rust on my brake discs? what can be done about it?
Wish there was an USB input on the ICE. I can't get all my fav music on 6 CDs even on mp3 :(
Attached Thumbnails
Civic V- the last one!-front2.jpg  

Civic V- the last one!-cockpit.jpg  

Civic V- the last one!-cockpit2.jpg  

Civic V- the last one!-cockpit3.jpg  

Civic V- the last one!-legfront.jpg  

Civic V- the last one!-legback.jpg  

Civic V- the last one!-backseat.jpg  

Civic V- the last one!-side.jpg  

Civic V- the last one!-tire.jpg  

Civic V- the last one!-cubbyholes.jpg  

Most Viewed