Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 14th August 2009, 15:16   #1
BHPian

Dark Metallic Gray i20 Asta, 2000 Kms Review

Hi All,

Sorry for making it so delayed, but really wanted the euphoria to die down, rather say, the honeymoon to get over so that I can actually start looking at the car with more scrutinizing eye, to point out what is actually good and what is not so good. The KMs are flowing smoothly, just as the ride. The mileage is around 13, fulltime AC. Can someone tell me whether climate control AC helps to gain more mileage? I am not to bothered about mileage though, I did not expect this heavy one tonner to be very frugal, given the shorter gear ratio and torque it delivers at low rpms. I am told it will improve after second service, first service was done at 1500, no issues whatsoever. NO NIGGLES at all. It just works as it should. I have by now explored all controls with all variations, and they work just perfect. I was bit skeptical whether any front hit to the ORVMs will bent it inward and the gears will be broken. some minor hits have happened at speeds of around 30 and the windows bent inward, but when I tried to operate them with the button, with a tick sound, it started working fine again, please donot try to fold it with your hand, even if your instinct forces you :-)
The foldable mirrors are a boon in traffic signals when 2 wheelers try to squeeze their way out around every bumper. Now the highlights on the positive & negative side as I remember -
1. Smooth and Easy - Very easy to drive in cities given its length and width. However, one needs to get accustomed to the width of the car which is deceptive, and it took me some time to get adjusted.
2. Never bottomed out on any potholes/humps till now even at 30 kmph, but this is not a car that will slurp pot holes, given its low squat, so better drive slow on them/around them just like a city car.
3. Body is very toughly built, adds to the weight, but I have zoomed past trucks at 120 Kmph without knowing what is around, and what is passing by, feels secure.
4. Body roll is not present till now, but I do not think I have thrown her in to corners as much either.
5. NVH is good, engine noise does not get into the cabin much. But I feel there is scope for improvement in this area. Can someone suggest me if the accessorywala outside will put extra door beading to make the cabin more silent?
6. Checked engine mounting - it is hosted on rubber bush at one side, the other side is fastened with multiple bolts at different places. Due to the asymmetric way of engine mounting, you will get bit of noise going ahead, this is my guess based on my knowledge in mechanical engineering, may not be true.
7. AC works fine, the blower has good speed range and temperature notches are also appropriate (0.5 degrees per tick). The vent directions need to to get adjusted to, if you seat too near to dash, you will not get enough air blowing over your face. Everyday I adjust vent posisition whenever I change my seat position.
8. The height adjustment is not purely vertical, rather angular as when you go up, it pushes the seat slight forward as well, I do not if this is the norm in all cares with driver seat height adjustment.
9. The gear shift is top notch, so is the gear box. I have started off the block in signals at first gear and in no time I was at 20 kmph, shift directly to 3rd and you will be untouched thereafter by anyone behind. I shall attribute this to the low end torque again, which helps the car to gain so much momentum so easily.
10. The cabin light is simply inadequate for anyone who wants to search something in the glove box. How difficult it is to put a glove box lamp? I was sad to see that even ANHC has given only one cabin light, no front light above rear view mirror.
11. The day night rear view mirror works fine. I wanted to put a parking sensor, can anyone suggest which one is better? Hyundai has one that looks shabby, has anyone used it? I saw one more which is made in India, and shows the display on the rear view mirrir, but this will mean I shall need to remove the fitted day/night mirror, something that I do not want to change. Any suggestions?
12. Seats are confortable, glove box is huge and the car has enough space.
13. I have not felt the need to drive it above 3000 rpm. Max speed reached 120 Kmph, the steering remains more active at higher speeds than it should I think.
14. The clutch has a long travel, and though bit unconfortable, I think it is advisable to depress it fully to avoid early wearing of the clutch plate.
15. The water bottle holder near the hand brake should have been deeper.
16. The dead pedal helps a lot albeit of you are not in city traffic.
17. The brakes are too good. It has got bigger rear drums than similar sized sedans (e.g. Ikon, Accent)
18. When I cross 90-100 Kmph, little accelerator pedal vibration is felt, is it normal?
19. The engine bay is very spacious, shows how well it has been designed, and there is thought process behind it. Whihc could of course be to fit in a bigger heart in later models.
Photos will be added soon in the photo section, my home internet is very bad. Suppositely it is 1 Mbps connection!
Please suggest if you feel I have not missed out on anything.

P.S. Checked out the diesel one, huge clattering of the engine outside! Seems it was a heart transplant without enough damping. Also, the camber on rear wheels in i20 is deliberate, not sure what purpose it serves.
Old 14th August 2009, 15:34   #2
BHPian

Quote:
1. Smooth and Easy - Very easy to drive in cities given its length and width.
3. Body is very toughly built
+1 to that

Quote:
9. The gear shift is top notch, so is the gear box
Even I noticed this during my TD. Makes you fall in love.

Quote:
10. The cabin light is simply inadequate for anyone who wants to search something in the glove box. How difficult it is to put a glove box lamp?
Yeah,even I want to know that

Also I want to know three more things :

1. Are you satisfied with the horn ?
2. What tyres you are using ?
3. What is the FE you have managed so far?
Old 14th August 2009, 15:48   #3
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shyamtanu View Post
I was bit skeptical whether any front hit to the ORVMs will bent it inward and the gears will be broken. some minor hits have happened at speeds of around 30 and the windows bent inward, but when I tried to operate them with the button, with a tick sound, it started working fine again, please donot try to fold it with your hand, even if your instinct forces you :-)
The foldable mirrors are a boon in traffic signals when 2 wheelers try to squeeze their way out around every bumper.

8. The height adjustment is not purely vertical, rather angular as when you go up, it pushes the seat slight forward as well, I do not if this is the norm in all cares with driver seat height adjustment.
I worry more about the two wheeler hitting the mirror in the wrong direction while filtering through at signals, bending it outwards. My CRV had similar mirrors sticking out of the body line, and took a lot of hits. It just about held up, but I cannot say these will. I hear you to say that you hit the fold button at every signal, and I am not sure it will last so many cycles! But maybe it has a better chance of doing that. Good input!
The height adjustment is by design, shorter drivers usually have shorter legs as well, so this brings them closer to the pedals as the seat rises. This is a feature of the better designed height adjusters.
Old 14th August 2009, 16:07   #4
BHPian

Quote:
18. When I cross 90-100 Kmph, little accelerator pedal vibration is felt, is it normal?
Nice review.

With the 18. point, yes there is a problem.
Try and switch off the AC at that speeds and then see
OR
There is definetly a problem with your wheel alignment. Get them balacned ASAP and then come back.
OR if the problem still persists, contact the service center.
Althought wheel balancing would do the work.
Old 14th August 2009, 16:17   #5
Senior - BHPian

Wouldn't any road wheel issues surface in the feel at the steering wheel? But yes, I agree that this is not normal, I do not get it. Good luck in getting your service advisor to also feel it - that is always the challenge with the minor niggles. They vanish at those times!
Old 15th August 2009, 11:48   #6
BHPian

with photu :-)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sawyer View Post
Wouldn't any road wheel issues surface in the feel at the steering wheel? But yes, I agree that this is not normal, I do not get it. Good luck in getting your service advisor to also feel it - that is always the challenge with the minor niggles. They vanish at those times!
Very true, in the first service, I did tell them but the problem itself is intermittent, I do not know if this is because of the road surface? I have tested that if I leave the steering wheel, whether it pulls to any side or not, which it does not, so wheel alignment should not be an issue, I shall ask them to check it however for sure. I do agree however that one can feel the road in the steering at times.. not always again... if this is there at right front wheel, it will come to the steering it seems, but that is the case with most cars anyway, even though they have independent front suspension setup. Is not that true? I have noticed that if I am cruising at around 90, and the left wheel goes over bad areas, there is wheel noise, but no steering vibrations. I shall try to feel it again though.

Are you driving on normal petrol or speed etc? I was on extra premium, this time filled in normal HP, lets see!
Attached Thumbnails
Dark Metallic Gray i20 Asta, 2000 Kms Review-img_0144.jpg  

Dark Metallic Gray i20 Asta, 2000 Kms Review-img_0147.jpg  

Dark Metallic Gray i20 Asta, 2000 Kms Review-img_0149.jpg  

Dark Metallic Gray i20 Asta, 2000 Kms Review-img_0150.jpg  

Dark Metallic Gray i20 Asta, 2000 Kms Review-img_0151.jpg  

Dark Metallic Gray i20 Asta, 2000 Kms Review-img_0152.jpg  

Dark Metallic Gray i20 Asta, 2000 Kms Review-img_0174.jpg  

Dark Metallic Gray i20 Asta, 2000 Kms Review-img_0157.jpg  

Old 15th August 2009, 11:50   #7
BHPian

Good review and a good looking car you have got yourself there. The FE you seem to be getting is also very good, enjoy the ride and keep us posted.
Old 15th August 2009, 12:19   #8
BHPian

Hi - I've installed autocop parking sensors in my i20 - you can see the pics on this page -
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-drives-initial-ownership-reports/55059-initial-take-my-hyundai-i20-asta-3.html

They do a decent job and are extremely sensitive..they detect upto almost 5 feet away, but the indicator is only for 2 sides on the display (left and right - 2 indicators for 4 sensors). The display is mounted on the mirror and one of the advantages of that is that headlight glare is reduced at night-time!

I don't like them as much as the ones in my swift in terms of accuracy and the individual-indicator-for-each-sensor display (4 indicators for 4 sensors on the display) but the bad thing about the ones in my swift have cheap looking LED lights in the parking sensors which blink when you back up

Overall though any mirror mounted control will shake once the car goes over any bump on the road..that's the only disadvantage but a fact that can be overlooked.

Last edited by reppy : 15th August 2009 at 12:28.
Old 15th August 2009, 12:28   #9
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by reppy View Post
Hi - I've installed autocop parking sensors in my i20 - you can see the pics on this page -
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-drives-initial-ownership-reports/55059-initial-take-my-hyundai-i20-asta-3.html

They do a decent job and are extremely sensitive..they detect upto almost 5 feet away, and the display is only for 2 sides.

I don't like them as much as the ones in my swift in terms of accuracy but the bad thing is that the ones in my swift have cheap looking LED lights in the parking sensors which blink when you back up
Yes I saw ones that blink, stupid stuff indeed, how much the autocop stuff costs outside the dealer? The one that I saw comes for Rs 3600
Old 15th August 2009, 12:36   #10
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaglaGoru View Post
+1 to that

Even I noticed this during my TD. Makes you fall in love.

Yeah,even I want to know that

Also I want to know three more things :

1. Are you satisfied with the horn ?
2. What tyres you are using ?
3. What is the FE you have managed so far?
Horn is good enough, try it when windows rolled down. One more note, it has driver window express roll up as well as down!!

I am on stock tyres, did not feel the need to change them, getting enough grip (for me) and though I would have loved a more silent cabin (it is quite silent anyway), I shall go with some extra door beading if it helps? Any suggestions please?

As mentioned, I am getting around 13-14 with full time AC.
Old 15th August 2009, 14:28   #11
BHPian

Quote:
Yes I saw ones that blink, stupid stuff indeed, how much the autocop stuff costs outside the dealer? The one that I saw comes for Rs 3600
I got mine for 3500.
Old 18th August 2009, 14:31   #12
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by reppy View Post
I got mine for 3500.
OK let me find out from my local shop, and if I fit it from outside dealer, will it void the warranty?
The vibration on the accelerator pedal as I see is felt on uneven roads, but not on smooth roads, but I shall still check the alignment once for my peace of mind.

One more point, the engine does not pull all the time equally and the inertia kicks in after you have applied brake, so if you want to overtake immediately, downshift most of the times times for overtaking (this happens at 4 and 5th gear specially), I think the gear ratio is responsible for this as the top gears are designed give better mileage in this car, and lower gears for more power and pull. Can anyone confirm this view?
Old 18th August 2009, 14:37   #13
Senior - BHPian

Nice and honest review.
Can you tell us how effective the A/C is? During the test drive, I found the A/C to be wanting in the Delhi heat.
Old 18th August 2009, 14:43   #14
BHPian

Nice car and good color. Good Interiors, I always liked the interiors of i20. Any plans for the seat covers upgrade?
Old 18th August 2009, 14:58   #15
BHPian

@Shyamtanu,

Getting the parking sensors fitted from outside will not void your warranty. But take it to reputed places so that the job is done neatly without any over hanging wires or as such.

The 5th Gear is a overdrive one and during overtaking, downshifting to 4 is recommended.

Can you give us some information on the steering feedback ? I read in some magazines that it is a bit over assisted.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks