Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 20th August 2009, 17:22   #46
Senior - BHPian

Got to drive a nano few days back, one of friends friend got it in office lol

car is very spacious but sitting on the driver seat felt like i am sitting on a bench holding the steering. i tried very hard but couldn't find comfortable position to drive, the steering and pedal position are very awkward and uncomfortable at least for me. The noise from the engine is horrible and NVH levels are very poor. little bit of throttle and you hear the odd engine noise. interior plastics are ok but not comparable to 800 or alto(i know they are bit expensive but those are the only comparable cars). also i did not find it as stable as a 800 on the road. gearshifts were ok.
right now if i have to buy a car in that price range i guess i will try to get a 800 or alto considering the top end nano price is almost 2 lacs.

before driving one i was very exciting about the car and price, but after TD i felt its little overpriced compared to what is offers .....
Old 20th August 2009, 19:15   #47
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pranavt View Post
Wait, the bonnet has to be opened to fill fuel?

Great, now even more time will be taken at petrol pumps because 60 year old uncles take 2 hours to get out, open bonnet, wait for attendant to fill fuel, get wallet out, count each 0 in each note, then recount, then pay money, then walk to the car, look around, sit down, belt up, pray to God, start car, waste 5 more minutes doing nothing, then finally moving ahead at the speed of 2kph.
Is your complaint about the Nano or about old people? How is that different from an auto driver who takes time to fill oil in his 2-stroke engine, or any number of people with automatic scooters who have to dismount, unlock and lift up the seat before filling petrol?

Maybe in your ideal world there are no old people, and everybody you see at the petrol bunk are characters from XXX (Vin Diesel etc) zipping in and out at high speed on their Nissan GT-R but this is the real world and apart from having to manually open the bonnet, whatever you described has nothing to do with the Nano.

In fact it might save time as the driver can perhaps monitor the filling without getting out of the car, unlike with a manual release fuel cap at the rear.

Last edited by chncar : 20th August 2009 at 19:20.
Old 20th August 2009, 20:09   #48
BHPian

Great Review, Jai Ho!
Old 20th August 2009, 20:48   #49
BHPian

Excellent Review!

Hi,

I bought my I10 Sportz 3 months back for nearly 2.5 times the price of a Nano LX and after reading the review, I think Nano LX in Sunshine Yellow would be an amazing car to own. I would love to read line-by-line comparison of Nano with other smaller cars available in the market today - M800, Alto, A-Star, I10 and Spark.

Whatever, awesome review! Keep them coming!
Old 20th August 2009, 21:09   #50
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by chncar View Post
Is your complaint about the Nano or about old people? How is that different from an auto driver who takes time to fill oil in his 2-stroke engine, or any number of people with automatic scooters who have to dismount, unlock and lift up the seat before filling petrol?
My complaint is about the Nano for the reason I mentioned in my original post. Don't know about the petrol pumps around your routes, but the pumps here have seperate lines for 2-stroke/CNG autorickshaws and 2-stroke bikes.

Quote:
Maybe in your ideal world there are no old people, and everybody you see at the petrol bunk are characters from XXX (Vin Diesel etc) zipping in and out at high speed on their Nissan GT-R but this is the real world and apart from having to manually open the bonnet, whatever you described has nothing to do with the Nano.
In my ideal world, I would have my very own petrol pumps with 100+ octane petrol and I would be in my Ferrari Enzo

Quote:
In fact it might save time as the driver can perhaps monitor the filling without getting out of the car, unlike with a manual release fuel cap at the rear.
They have a rear-view mirror which works perfectly for that purpose, you know?
Old 20th August 2009, 22:27   #51
Senior - BHPian

Excellent and nice review, Sidindica.

I think the Nano is set to achieve what it meant to in the first place. It is a global first which wowed Indians and people the world over. Kudos to Tata!
Old 20th August 2009, 22:36   #52
BHPian

Sid, as usual excellent write up . Pictures - wow so many. for all the variants.
Old 20th August 2009, 23:18   #53
Senior - BHPian

Beautiful,pragmatic and detailed review of India's latest pride!
But that yellow nano europa simply took my breath away!
Old 21st August 2009, 11:24   #54
BHPian

hats off to Ratan Tata for bringing such a wonderful & practical product to India...I would be proud to own one in the near future...

great review Sid
Old 21st August 2009, 13:07   #55
BHPian

Dreat work as always Sid. Love this car. I found the space amazing when I checked it at A-One motors Canaught Place in March.

Last edited by Car-Agey : 21st August 2009 at 13:11.
Old 21st August 2009, 13:37   #56
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaggoswami View Post
1) If the price of this car is above Rs. 1.5 lakh OTR, it loses value IMHO ( its just what I feel ). Maruti 800 above that will be considered for most of the people. The highest version is too expensive OTR for representing good VFM.

2) What exactly are engineering innovations ? Its smart and cost effective engineering, but what are innovations ? Can you shed some light on new innovations ?

3) Powersliding is something not good in hands of two wheeler riders who dont even know ABC of driving sense.

4) If this car has more power and bigger fuel tank, it will increase the chance of people taking this car for highway driving. This is just about sufficient of what city driving normally requires.

5) This is not good for a car that will be cheaper to run ( and hence will cover more kms ). The access to engine will be restricted. Not a good point.
Quote:
Originally Posted by extreme_torque View Post
The high end Nano is considerably cheaper than the lowest rung 800 and comes with power windows, fog lamps, A/C, has more space, ride better, looks better and is safer.... what else is VFM?

Tata has filed 37 patents for the car and they are not awarded for cheap engineering but for innovations. If it was so easy we would have had the Nano much before.

You cant be serious when you wrote this.... I am speechless!

It was never designed for highway driving and neither was 800!

What sort of contrived logic is that? Nano will be bought by people with very limited means... even a litre of petrol would mean something to them. Are you implying they are gonna abandon their two wheelers and use Nano daily?
What would have happened had it been a Maruti Nano positioned below M800 in the chain of models .

On a serious note, excellent review there Sid.

Nano is simply a revolution & a pride.

IMHO (strictly my opinion) it'll be a challenge for Tata's to rectify its positioning to the original positioning i.e. "Alternative to Two Wheeler". For that to happen, the lowest rung model needs to contribute 60-70% of sales. Therein lies the success
Old 21st August 2009, 13:41   #57
ACM
Distinguished - BHPian

Super review, highest level of detail possible.

Maruti 800 being compared to Nano is a joke. Nano is much better than the 800 in all variants today.
Old 21st August 2009, 13:50   #58
Senior - BHPian

Good review. But would like to know what the benchmark you had in mind when you compared performance, interior space etc., Since its a very specifically designed car (for price, for people mobility, not good etc.,), I think you might have ranked low on some aspects.
But anyway, your coverage is excellent in that you cover everything without leaving any areas. Kudos.
Old 21st August 2009, 14:23   #59
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by extreme_torque View Post
1) The high end Nano is considerably cheaper than the lowest rung 800 and comes with power windows, fog lamps, A/C, has more space, ride better, looks better and is safer.... what else is VFM?

2) Tata has filed 37 patents for the car and they are not awarded for cheap engineering but for innovations. If it was so easy we would have had the Nano much before.

3) You cant be serious when you wrote this.... I am speechless!

4) It was never designed for highway driving and neither was 800!

5) What sort of contrived logic is that? Nano will be bought by people with very limited means... even a litre of petrol would mean something to them. Are you implying they are gonna abandon their two wheelers and use Nano daily?
1) Bring in a second hand M800 and for me the scale tilts in favor of M800. You might have different opinion. Mainly I would go for M800 as it is proven ( we have one with 1 lakh + kms ) with better A.S & S.

2) Would like to hear more about the engineering innovations and not no. of patents. I mean like VVTi or iVTEC, how many new innovations are done for Nano ?
If you have a list, please post them.

3) I am relating this with lack of driving sense and inexperience of car drivers. This is dangerous as the car is targeting an audience who are not at all having reasonable experience. If tata can give truck chassis that are strong enough for overloading, this point should be taken car of. May be a bit less power, but again this is what I feel.

4) I was appreciating Tata for not providing a bigger fuel tank as that would lead to Nano being driven on highways. This is very clever thought from Tata.

5) Nano will be extensively used IMHO. This is not a highway car as you have mentioned, so definitely its for city. And two wheeler riders will surely grab up this car for obvious reasons of safety ( safer than two wheeler ) and weather protection.
Hence I posted that this car will cover up more kms.
The main point here was lack of good access to engine which is not a positive point.
Old 21st August 2009, 17:36   #60
BHPian

Nice review my friend. When NANO launch happened i was in US working out of client location and i was like the HERO there. I was bragging all about tata motors there and their achievements. But in the corner of my mind i had a little doubt of whether the car will be really good once the mass production starts. But i felt shame for thinking like that when i first saw the little wonder in showroom.

Its really a beauty. First i couldnt really believe that its Nano. Its beautifully designed and i immediately decided to book one. I am getting my Linea 1.3 LJD E PK next week delivered. I am going to book Nano by next month just for city use. I am proud of tata motors

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks