Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 10th March 2021, 21:49   #1021
Senior - BHPian

Re: Review: 1st-gen Toyota Fortuner

Quote:
Originally Posted by curiosity View Post
Hopefully the car should reach the "Tastefully done mods" page rather than the "weird & wacky mods" page. Thanks!
If you want to see the car in its real butch looks, then retain its originality and do not attempt to remove any chromes.

Trust me, no other paints or mods in paint gives the beast, its original looks. If you want you can add some accessories to the car and make it more feature and jazzy in terms of functionality but don't attempt to change its original looks.

This is my opinion
Old 10th March 2021, 23:13   #1022
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gkveda View Post
If you want to see the car in its real butch looks, then retain its originality and do not attempt to remove any chromes.
Thank you for your suggestions. I agree with you there but this would mean changing all the chrome parts since few of them have rusted and this would add to the already exceeded budget. Let me figure out some aftermarket replacements in such case.
Old 10th March 2021, 23:26   #1023
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
I have a 2010 Fortuner and I have decided to give it a new lease of life by getting it repainted & overhauled. I plan to use it for 3-4 years more. Now I am keen on keeping the original color but want to get rid of the Chrome bits including emblem, strips etc all across the car and replace it with something more subtle and rust friendly, may I request folks here to chip in with their ideas as to what can be done for this? Hopefully the car should reach the "Tastefully done mods" page rather than the "weird & wacky mods" page. Thanks!
Some pics would help. Especially of the rusted bits to help suggest what to do.
Old 11th March 2021, 00:05   #1024
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tejas@perioimpl View Post
Some pics would help. Especially of the rusted bits to help suggest what to do.
Review: 1st-gen Toyota Fortuner-grill.jpg
The Chrome strip on the hood has a lot of chips and scratches. I will try to get a better zoomed image.
The logo has chips as well and I was told that if I try removing it the grill which is already broken may need a replacement, which when bought through Toyota will cost a cool 12K

Review: 1st-gen Toyota Fortuner-emblem.jpg
All the letter are rusted as you can see. It maybe because we reside close to a waterbody/creek.

Will try to get better pictures as well.
Old 22nd March 2021, 12:36   #1025
Tgo
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tgo View Post
Will get to each of them in the weekend.
Continuing my diagnosis, I checked each and every fuse in the engine bay and also under the steering column and they were all found to be OK.

Ran an OBD scan and there were no codes.

Under the passenger seat, a seatbelt lamp connector was unclipped. Clipped it back to get the warning lamp working in the MID when the seat is occupied and seatbelt is unbuckled.

Found a harness which has been tapped and has a 20Amp fuse on the tapping. The other end of the coupler doesn't seem to go anywhere. Seems like something is disconnected and removed from the car. This wire goes under the carpet and through a boot under the floor, Looks OEM except for that wire tap and fuse. This fuse is also alright.
Review: 1st-gen Toyota Fortuner-coupler.jpg
Can someone tell me what this harness is for and where can I find the other part of it.

These are the aftermarket LED tail lamps which do not function. Only the brake lights work.
Review: 1st-gen Toyota Fortuner-img_8983.jpg
Also found that the RH and LH qtr glass are different. RH has a heating element whereas the LH doesn't. Why So?
Review: 1st-gen Toyota Fortuner-rh-qtr-window.jpg

Review: 1st-gen Toyota Fortuner-lh-qtr-window.jpg
Old 22nd March 2021, 13:14   #1026
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
[ATTACH=Grill.jpg]
All the letter are rusted as you can see. It maybe because we reside close to a waterbody/creek.
These are plastic and can't rust. It's the chrome finish that has faded or come off due to salt water. Suggest replace it.

Quote:

Can someone tell me what this harness is for and where can I find the other part of it.

These are the aftermarket LED tail lamps which do not function. Only the brake lights work.
Could be from parking sensors which are disconnected (?) or the after marketing lights had a different connector and they did a direct wiring? Go to a good electrician and get it checked.
Tejas@perioimpl is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 22nd March 2021, 13:42   #1027
Tgo
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tejas@perioimpl View Post
Could be from parking sensors which are disconnected (?)
I don't think this (2013 5AT) version had the rear parking sensors. It just has a reverse camera and and audible beep when the vehicle is put in reverse. Its definitely something drawing high power.

Under the car this wire goes to the engine bay.

Also, its length is such that the max it can be stretched is to the B-pillar that too barely. It doesn't even go into the central console. Whatever module it was connected to would have to be under the front passenger seat.
Old 25th March 2021, 13:52   #1028
Tgo
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
On a separate note, I hear a faint metal ringing sound when the car is in motion. Sounds like a bearing made to run without lubrication. Not a squeak, but a high frequency ring of those mosquito repellent electronic devices which have a high frequency speaker in them. It comes from the underside. Audible when driving next to a wall with the windows down, as the sound can reflect off the wall and enter the cabin. Stops when the vehicle is stationary. Assuming that it is related to the prop shaft and / or its bearings. Can anyone confirm? Or is it just the AT gearbox characteristic?
It isn't fun driving someone else's vehicle specially when their standard of maintaining it does not align with yours.

This noise turned out to be from the worn-out brake pads. Front Right ones to be specific. The scouring on the disk is a telltale. The disk on the other side is fine and there isn't any sound heard on that side.
Old 17th April 2021, 18:35   #1029
Tgo
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
It isn't fun driving someone else's vehicle specially when their standard of maintaining it does not align with yours.
I finally sent the vehicle to Toyota for a thorough inspection and rectification of all the little job I could figure out which were not in order.

Review: 1st-gen Toyota Fortuner-whatsapp-image-20210408-09.43.23.jpeg

I was quite surprised by the quick turnaround time and the relatively economical cost of spares and repairs for the vehicle.

Om Toyota which is one of the oldest in Jaipur, did a fantastic job of inspecting and carrying out the repairs. They rectified all the electrical gremlins and didn't even charge any labour for it.

Fuel pick-up filter in tank - Replaced since we had vehicle stalling issues in low fuel level
Fuel Filter - Preventive as the fuel filter change was not documented ever
Oil filter - Part of service
Both belts replaced - Since vehicle history was unknown
Fuses - 2/3 were kaput
TGMO (210) 100 ml - Maybe its the diff oil or the prop shaft grease
Pad kit , Shoe kit, Rear brake drums - As a part of full brake system overhaul detected by the ASS
Coolant change - As it was never documented
interior cleaning - As there was diesel spill in the cabin on the carpets

All this for INR 55,000/- and the vehicle is good for another 40K km before any major repairs come up.

They suggested Control Arm and steering rod end replacement which would have cost 78,000/- at the ASS. I checked online and there is an option of getting just the bushes replaced in the control arms and the price of the rod ends were also cheaper online. Got it replaced outside along with a alignment balancing job for 12,000/- using all genuine parts. The ASS suggested to postpone alignment and balancing as well since it would have been non-productive since the bushes in the control arm were worn out.

Happy to report that everything has been sorted. All the lights work. The screeching sound had gone and the vehicle handles better with a cleaner cabin which is a nice place to be in now. Didn't get a chance to drive it after the service, though the owner reports a day / night difference in the handling.
Tgo is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 17th April 2021, 20:01   #1030
BHPian

Quote:
though the owner reports a day / night difference in the handling.
Makes it all worth it.

Ideally toyotas shouldn't be having so many niggles even if used roughly right?
viXit is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th April 2021, 20:03   #1031
BHPian

Quote:
I finally sent the vehicle to Toyota for a thorough inspection and rectification of all the little job I could figure out which were not in order.

Happy to report that everything has been sorted. All the lights work. The screeching sound had gone and the vehicle handles better with a cleaner cabin which is a nice place to be in now. Didn't get a chance to drive it after the service, though the owner reports a day / night difference in the handling.
There’s similar update on Ford endeavor where the repair the bills to couple of owners has been to the tune of 50k-1L, it seems that this big boys can be white elephants in long run if not taken care well.

Last edited by Sheel : 17th April 2021 at 20:43. Reason: Please do not quote an entirely long post. Please quote selectively. Thanks.
abhikb is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th April 2021, 20:43   #1032
Senior - BHPian

I think 55k for an 8 year old car with 100k under its belt is reasonable. The vehicle had aftermarket fittings and it looks like a preowned one. So it may even be an abused vehicle. I think most of these big diesel cars will need a major service costing about 80k -1 lakh in ASS once they complete 100k. This usually includes suspension and steering joints overhaul, clutch , brake, timing belt change etc.

Last edited by padmrajravi : 17th April 2021 at 20:44.
padmrajravi is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th April 2021, 10:30   #1033
Tgo
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by viXit View Post
Ideally toyotas shouldn't be having so many niggles even if used roughly right?
This holds good as long as they are stock. This one had a light bar, led tail lamps, black painted wheels, a subwoofer install and poorly repaired bumpers. Many shoddy repairs over the years. Never serviced at toyota after 37k. And the odo also seems like it was re-clocked.

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhikb View Post
There’s similar update on Ford endeavor where the repair the bills to couple of owners has been to the tune of 50k-1L, it seems that this big boys can be white elephants in long run if not taken care well.
The Endeavour is more sophisticated than the Fortuner which holds good even today. The switchgear on the Fortuner looks commercial grade, there are no soft touch switches. Everything has child parts. Interior panels come off easily and intuitively and can be put back using the same clips.

Quote:
Originally Posted by padmrajravi View Post
I think 55k for an 8 year old car with 100k under its belt is reasonable. The vehicle had aftermarket fittings and it looks like a preowned one. So it may even be an abused vehicle. I think most of these big diesel cars will need a major service costing about 80k -1 lakh in ASS once they complete 100k. This usually includes suspension and steering joints overhaul, clutch , brake, timing belt change etc.
This car was bought with 70k on the ODO. So had the AT fluid replaced then along with a oil change service, new battery and two tyres. The next one was an oil change service with two new tyres making the set complete. The one after that at 90k was a simple oil change service with a set of new seat covers for the interior freshening up. Then this one where it is equivalent to the work done in the 150k service. That’s how much I suspect is the actual mileage on the car.
Tgo is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 1st August 2021, 11:19   #1034
BHPian

I am looking at a 2016 fortuner 4WD automatic that I found on Olx. Please do advise what I should look out for.

This is being evaluated as my workhorse over-landing vehicle. Already booked a Thar, but will cancel it is this is a better fit for all India trips.

thx
Old 27th December 2021, 14:36   #1035
BANNED

Hi
A query to all members..I have a 2010 fortuner which has clocked 90k kms. Last week got hold of a type 2 Fortuner Prado type grill. I would like to replace my current grill with that. What all needs to be changed other than headlights in my car for this installation? I only want the grill to be changed and not interested in model conversion (type1 to type2) ..
Regards
Dilip

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks