Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 4th October 2016, 03:55   #976
BHPian

Re: Noise at high speeds in Fortuner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aroy View Post
Have you checked the front wheel bearings?

Another reason may be that the front drive shafts are touching some metal projection. A visual inspection will easily show if that is so.
Thank you for the reply Aroy. We did a visual inspection by removing the front wheels. They also replaced the lower arms on both sides with their test Fortuner. The drive shafts touching a projection is unlikely going by visual inspection.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sisu View Post
I am reasonably sure this sound is from the front brakes. Please get the brake pads and disks checked.

Most likely, the disks are warped and would need to be replaced.

It does not matter if you touch the brakes or not. If your disks are warped even slightly, there would be such a noise a some speed.

Have you had your pads and disks replaced since you bought the car?

Incase the service centre does not agree, ask them to install the disks and pads from their TD Fortuner and then go for a test.

Let us know how this pans out.

Cheeerzzz
The pads on Fortuner don't last very long (happens to my friend's fortuner too) so I've got them replaced twice thus far. This set too is on its last leg. I will ask them to install the disk from their test Fortuner and try. Each time the pads were changed, the disk was resurfaced. So I doubt if warping could be the issue. However, as you mentioned, I will try with the disk replacement.

Do you think it could be the transfer case or transmission box itself?

Thank you for the reply.
Old 4th October 2016, 10:47   #977
Senior - BHPian

re: Review: 1st-gen Toyota Fortuner

If the noise is intermittent and comes only at high speeds it would normally not be from a gearbox. The transmission/gearbox noise builds up gradually to a high pitch at high speeds. The gearbox noise will depend on the RPM, while the rest of the transmission on the vehicle speed.
Aroy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th January 2017, 18:31   #978
Senior - BHPian

re: Review: 1st-gen Toyota Fortuner

Guys
Is it possible to to reterofit (plug and play type) cruise control in a 2012 facelifted fortuner (All time 4WD model)

Is the ECU already preprogrammed to take a plug and play Toyota genuine accessory?

Inputs are highly appreciated.

Thank you

Last edited by ecosport rules : 8th January 2017 at 18:32.
Old 30th September 2017, 01:56   #979
BHPian

Toyota Fortuner Niggles

Recently my fortuner is giving a lot of troubles. It is 86k run regularly serviced from authorized workshop. Listing them all below. Need help fixing them all

1. Constant Airbag sign that goes for sometimes after cleaning the connector
2. Humming Noise when car crosses 60kmh
3. Fuel Gauge needle wont tell when the fuel in low / needs refill
4. Roof lining makes squeaky sound sometimes
Old 30th September 2017, 08:19   #980
Team-BHP Support

Re: Toyota Fortuner Niggles

Quote:
Originally Posted by V12Doc View Post
Either it would need a reset from OBD or the module might need a change. Water ingress may be the culprit.
Quote:
Is it the turbo sound? Very hard to gauge this.
Quote:
Float might need a change. Fuel tank may need a removal for this. ASC or a competent garage can carry out this job.
Quote:
This may be attended by body shop. Though, please do not allow anyone to climb on the roof to clean it.
Old 30th September 2017, 09:49   #981
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Toyota Fortuner Niggles

Quote:
Originally Posted by V12Doc View Post
Recently my fortuner is giving a lot of troubles. It is 86k run regularly serviced from authorized workshop. Listing them all below. Need help fixing them all
Quote:
The warning light alerts you to a possible malfunction. You need to get this checked ASAP at the dealer. The AB is a critical component of the safety system.

Quote:
Just a guess, check belts and wheel bearings. Also, how old are your tyres? Older tyres also cause a low rumble/hum when driving.

Quote:
Sender/float unit in the tank needs to be checked for proper functioning.

Quote:
Inner roof lining can be opened up and checked. Possible causes are some portions have worked themselves loose.
Old 15th February 2018, 15:44   #982
BHPian

Re: Review: 1st-gen Toyota Fortuner

Hi,

I have a first gen Fortuner and wish to change the bulbs in the headlamp.

Request help on the following queries

1) What is the rating of the bulbs that go into the a) Projectors b) Reflectors (H7 / H11 / etc) - Also the wattage - I don't want to play around with the recommended Toyota calibrations
2) What's better for mainly highway drives - Halogens or LEDs ? Any brand recommendations would be appreciated

I tried to search a lot in the thread but could not find this discussion thus initiated the discussion.
varunraizada is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 25th June 2019, 14:20   #983
Senior - BHPian

Re: Toyota Fortuner : Official Review

Dear all
Yesterday, a peculiar thing happened on my Fortuner 2013 model. Need your inputs to understand if there is any pattern that the transponder chip gets deactivated if we follow some pattern of door opening, closing, and slotting the ignition key. Please read the story below and suggest.

We had been out somewhere and returned back in the evening. While parking the car in its place, I "THINK" I had put the ignition key in its ON position and opened the driver side door and closed (Not really sure what I did) some 2-3 times.

Post this, my wife noticed that right side passenger window was not closed. I very well remember that I had shut all the windows before switching the car off. So, I turned ignition key to ON position again and tried closing the windows. But, windows did not close automatically.

So, I tried starting the car but car did not start. I repeated 2-3 times, but no, it did not budge. Again, I am not sure, but, I THINK, I locked the door from inside through remote and opened again. Now, I tried closing power windows. It just closed without any issues.

Now, when I started the car, it started without any issues. I was wondering how this happened.

I am not sure, what happened actually. I again tried to restart the car. Again, it did not start. Then, I noticed that Security light (Transponder chip sensing light) was continuously ON.

I locked and opened the doors again through remote. Now, again the car started.

I fail to understand what is the pattern and why the car did not start. What made the car to start after I moved out and entered the car again after locking and unlocking.

Request some expert to throw light on this.

Last edited by gkveda : 25th June 2019 at 14:21.
gkveda is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th June 2019, 11:37   #984
Senior - BHPian

Re: Toyota Fortuner : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by gkveda View Post
Dear all
Yesterday, a peculiar thing happened on my Fortuner 2013 model. Need your inputs to understand if there is any pattern that the transponder chip gets deactivated if we follow some pattern of door opening, closing, and slotting the ignition key. Please read the story below and suggest.

At times the battery in the remote can be the culprit. In 6 years it would be on its last legs, so I suggest that you get it replaced. One of my friends was locked out when the remote battery failed, though I believe the current generation cars will start with the key, still better to take no risks.
Old 26th January 2020, 02:01   #985
Senior - BHPian

Buying a used Toyota Fortuner

Hi Everyone,

With the 10 years diesel rule for cars in Delhi NCR, there are lucrative pricing on big used SUVs, especially those that are nearing the 10 years old deadline. And I am currently on a lookout for a pre-worshipped Fortuner within a budget of 7 to 8 lacs max.

I fortunately found a 1st Generation Fortuner, 2010 June make, grey, first owner, Delhi registered, with only 46000 kms on the odometer! Yeah, sounds more like a tampered one, but inspecting and driving the SUV didn't feel its been driven that much in the last 9 years. Even the car is still shod with the original Dunlop tyres, and one of them is still in very good shape (most likely the stepney). There are two dents on left and right doors and few light scratches, but apart from that, everything appears to be really good - which could be a good sign of covered parking and maintainance (by a dedicated driver/cleaner).

To be fair at my evaluation, I also took a known mechanic (from WOS@Noida) to inspect the car. The owner is a old businessman, two sons living as joint family, and claim to be a car enthusiasts or just love cars - with 8 to 9 cars including two toyotas - a 2013 Innova and this Fortuner 2010 4x4. He had bought a new Merc GLS recently, but because of parking problem, he wanted to let go of his fortuner as it is rarely used, and the other reason being its soon going to be 10 years old.

When I went to his office to talk about this car with the broker, he had a folder with the fortuner registration number printed on it, and he had arranged every bit of receipts, of services, work orders, insurance etc. for the last 9 years. I was kind of impressed at the way he had organized the paperworks for all his cars. Because of the multiple cars, the fortuner appears to have been not used much, though the owner claimed, it never missed periodic services from Toyota. The owner gave me the service summary of the car in excel sheet for verification (that he requested from the Service center), which I am attaching below as PDF:

Fortuner 2010 Service History Summary.pdf

NOTE: (I had removed/hidden the columns that shows the customer name, contact number, supervisor name etc.). And yes, I had verified the last service done, mileage readings etc. with Toyota service center.

The owner also claimed that his car had braking problems initially and after complains, Toyota had upgraded the brakes to that of the newer model (something like Brake booster kit).

Would be great if you can throw some lights on the potential pitfall with this car (based on the service sheet) and the parts replacement, expenditure I am looking into (in the case I finalize this car). Insurance is valid till Aug 2020 and the owner claimed there are no claims made on the car in the last 9 years. So, from paperwork point of view, everything looks clean. Just need a nudge from fellow Bhpians on the technical aspects of the car.

Here is a pic (latest).

Review: 1st-gen Toyota Fortuner-fortuner.jpg

P.S. I will be registering this car in my native state in NE. So, the 10 years diesel rule is not applicable there.

Last edited by iTNerd : 26th January 2020 at 02:27.
iTNerd is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 26th January 2020, 03:17   #986
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Buying a used Toyota Fortuner

My god Nerd. Just buy the car man. Looks like a very pristine example with 4*4. Just can't go wrong with Toyota once you get used to the size. And these things run forever.

Congratulations on the new arrival. Get it!
Red Liner is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 26th January 2020, 09:57   #987
Senior - BHPian

This kind of deal is a used car buyer's wet dream.

A 10 year old Toyota, less than 50k kms done, stock tyres, proper insurance and service records, multiple cars in the garage, owned by an aged, rich businessman.

I'd have paid the token amount already if I was in your place.

PS. Keep in mind that cops may trouble you if you use this car in NCR even with a different state's registration.

Last edited by self_driven : 26th January 2020 at 10:06.
self_driven is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 26th January 2020, 15:20   #988
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by iTNerd View Post

P.S. I will be registering this car in my native state in NE. So, the 10 years diesel rule is not applicable there.
bro if you are planning to use it outside of delhi ncr then only buy it , otherwise in delhi you will for sure get it impounded once its crossed 10yrs
Because of the same stupid ngt rule i had to sell my 2011 Fortuner 3 months back the first gen is a tank.! Would never have sold had it not been for the 10year rule in the NcR.

Cheers
Born 2 Be Wild is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th January 2020, 16:19   #989
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Liner View Post
My god Nerd. Just buy the car man. Looks like a very pristine example with 4*4. Just can't go wrong with Toyota once you get used to the size. And these things run forever.
Quote:
Originally Posted by self_driven View Post
I'd have paid the token amount already if I was in your place.
Ok, paid the token amount today!

Quote:
Originally Posted by self_driven View Post
PS. Keep in mind that cops may trouble you if you use this car in NCR even with a different state's registration.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Born 2 Be Wild View Post
bro if you are planning to use it outside of delhi ncr then only buy it , otherwise in delhi you will for sure get it impounded once its crossed 10yrs
Because of the same stupid ngt rule i had to sell my 2011 Fortuner 3 months back the first gen is a tank.! Would never have sold had it not been for the 10year rule in the NcR.
IMO, there is no point of using a big SUV in traffic plagued city like Delhi. For Delhi, I have a Yeti and a Civic. I am only buying this 10 years fortuner to be used solely in my hometown in Imphal, which is mixed of valleys, hills and mountains.. and to tour nearby Myanmar (Asian Highway - AH 1) which goes through my state... a fortuner 4x4 is ideally designed and suited for use in such places, not concrete jungles

Last edited by iTNerd : 26th January 2020 at 16:20.
iTNerd is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 26th January 2020, 18:32   #990
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by iTNerd View Post
Ok, paid the token amount today!

IMO, there is no point of using a big SUV in traffic plagued city like Delhi. For Delhi, I have a Yeti and a Civic. I am only buying this 10 years fortuner to be used solely in my hometown in Imphal, which is mixed of valleys, hills and mountains.. and to tour nearby Myanmar (Asian Highway - AH 1) which goes through my state... a fortuner 4x4 is ideally designed and suited for use in such places, not concrete jungles

There you are mistaken dear sir , i loved driving it in the city the biggest disadvantage would be parking spaces , apart from that no one cuts lanes no one tries to bully you in traffic all in all a pretty stress free drive
Born 2 Be Wild is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks