Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 5th October 2009, 10:03   #331
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay1234 View Post
upto you how you percieve it. just giving an example. i would trust petes.
Are'nt there other components that are designed for a particular torque/force coming? Like the connecting rod might have been designed for a particular force and having more power means those connecting rods/crank shafts are going to working beyond their design limits? I know there is a factor of safety but with these modifications the factor of safety is gone and the vehicle will be living on the edge.

Does it affect long term life of the vehicle?

Nainar
Old 5th October 2009, 10:58   #332
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by anainar View Post
Are'nt there other components that are designed for a particular torque/force coming? Like the connecting rod might have been designed for a particular force and having more power means those connecting rods/crank shafts are going to working beyond their design limits? I know there is a factor of safety but with these modifications the factor of safety is gone and the vehicle will be living on the edge.

Does it affect long term life of the vehicle?

Nainar
theres always some tolerance built into all the components and as long as you are within that tolerance i highly doubt it would affect reliability. eg if a gear box is designed for a max torque of 300nm and the engine produces only 200nm and after the tuning box 260nm then it probably would not affect reliability. of course some parts could wear out slightly faster due to the excessive power. but companies that make the tuning boxes generally test them for lacs of kilometers before releasing them.
Old 5th October 2009, 11:53   #333
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
theres always some tolerance built into all the components and as long as you are within that tolerance i highly doubt it would affect reliability. eg if a gear box is designed for a max torque of 300nm and the engine produces only 200nm and after the tuning box 260nm then it probably would not affect reliability. of course some parts could wear out slightly faster due to the excessive power. but companies that make the tuning boxes generally test them for lacs of kilometers before releasing them.

The gearbox limitations are the biggest cause of concern. This is what has kept me from remaping my car. I have read that the transmission is able to handle 400nM of torque, the car is already running at max. I am scared a torque increase of 30-40% will make the gearbox go bust.

Last edited by Sahil : 5th October 2009 at 11:55.
Old 5th October 2009, 12:16   #334
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sahil View Post

The gearbox limitations are the biggest cause of concern. This is what has kept me from remaping my car. I have read that the transmission is able to handle 400nM of torque, the car is already running at max. I am scared a torque increase of 30-40% will make the gearbox go bust.
which car your 525d? as long as its from a reputed company i wouldnt worry.
Old 5th October 2009, 16:24   #335
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1-Testosterone View Post
Thanks for the link and information. So do you advise against tuning say (Fortuner and Captiva) or, are the boxes are meant for short term use only (for enthusiasts) and not for regular/prolonged use?
Have not heard of any tuning-box related problem yet, and we have so many cars running them onboard. I'd go for a tuning box without a second thought as long as the car isn't complicated (i.e. Merc, BMW, Superb etc.).

Of course, we'll know the entire picture only once our power-boxed cars cover over a lakh kms.
Old 5th October 2009, 16:31   #336
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
which car your 525d? as long as its from a reputed company i wouldnt worry.
Yup for the 525d. I am not worried about the ECU or engine, since it shares the engine with the 530d,it can defiantly handle more power than it has right now.
However, I believe 530d has a different gearbox. I read on a BMW forum that the gearbox of the 525d has a different part number hence it is fit to handle 400nM of torque.

I am worried about the gearbox, nothing else.

Then again, I have heard reviews of 525d's been remapped to 650nM of torque without any problems.

Last edited by Sahil : 5th October 2009 at 16:33.
Old 7th October 2009, 07:32   #337
Distinguished - BHPian

Took a Fortuner for test drive through the outback. Was impressed with performance through rocky slopes, sand, river bed, elephant grass and slush. Inside comfort was good. It was raining but high speed highway driving has two draw backs - Brakes and body roll
With four people on board and 800 kilometres of drive in a day cabin was comfortable. Engine noise is only heard when you reach higher RPM's. Gear lever sends vibrations through.
Review: 1st-gen Toyota Fortuner-f01.jpg

Climbing the river bund seemed easy as the angles of approach and departure was reasonable. This needed crawls speed approach so was done in 4L as 4H did not offer enough torque.
Review: 1st-gen Toyota Fortuner-img_3895.jpg

However the breakaway angle did not let the vehicle get to the top and we had to get in from another location
Review: 1st-gen Toyota Fortuner-img_3908.jpg

Start of trail was through farming country following tractor tracks
Review: 1st-gen Toyota Fortuner-f02.jpg

Rain on the day meant lot of water splashes. This part of trail was through river bed - now mostly dry despite rain
Review: 1st-gen Toyota Fortuner-f05.jpg

Tried some tilt and articulations tests. Overall the car kept its cool and showed willingness to pull from low RPM's
Review: 1st-gen Toyota Fortuner-f06.jpg

O.E. Tyres were biggest let down as they spun helplessly at least of slushy conditions.
Review: 1st-gen Toyota Fortuner-f07.jpg

Through the tall elephant grass with no tracks
Name:  f16.jpg
Views: 2035
Size:  71.5 KB

Overview of the country which was traversed
Review: 1st-gen Toyota Fortuner-f12.jpg

Through tall grass and narrow track at night. Headlights are good and later on the highway also had no cause of complaint.
Review: 1st-gen Toyota Fortuner-f19.jpg
Old 7th October 2009, 08:24   #338
BHPian

Sudev - saab, excellent pics! They do most of the talking! How would you compare it with Vitara that you own?

Cheers,
Old 7th October 2009, 08:48   #339
BHPian

Excellent pics. Also, apart from GV, how do you compare it to Pajero when it comes to sheer off-roading? Because I hear often that Pajero, inspite of being old workhorse, holds its own in off roading department. Is it true?
Old 7th October 2009, 10:10   #340
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sudev View Post
Took a Fortuner for test drive
Great Pics Sudev.

Is there any option of getting better tyres for the fortuner?
Old 7th October 2009, 11:30   #341
BHPian

Brilliant pics.

I Drove the Fortuner myself in similar conditions and the vehicle does feel eager.
Yes. The break-over angle did come in the way at one point. But then, could manage with different location and angled approach.

But it did feel composed when off-roading.
Old 7th October 2009, 11:41   #342
BHPian

Friends
Yesterday I went to Toyota showroom to check accessories for my Innova and had chance to drive Fortuner.I drove it on highway and my opinion is that it felt more easier to drive than Innova but the biggest flaw which all of you have already mentioned are brakes.They are very poor and you have to be very sure before stopping if you are driving on high speeds.

Rgds
Braveheart

Toyota Innova (V) 2009
Chevy Spark 2009
M.Zen 1997
Honda Unicorn 2006

@Sudev,dude the pictures and the review is really great.
Old 7th October 2009, 14:21   #343
BHPian

Nice pics sudev. P.S. your comparison between the vitara and the fortuner
Old 7th October 2009, 14:49   #344
BANNED

Guys
What's the recommended service interval? Is it 10K or 5K. The brouchers dont mention it...

Got to know today from my sales guy that my priority no. is 75(booked on 26aug) and he says expect my car on Jan 2010. Man! this sucks big time...
Old 7th October 2009, 14:51   #345
Senior - BHPian

Sudev; that was excellent. A must have test drive for a 4x4.

The question;this or the new Vitara ?

40k? should be for 4 tyres!

Last edited by jkdas : 7th October 2009 at 14:52.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks