Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 10th February 2010, 10:31   #46
Distinguished - BHPian

Thanks guys.... We'll see how the test drive goes.

MKC --- How is the visibility from the driver's position? In the NHC, it can be a pain sometimes as the A pillar blocks visibility.
Old 10th February 2010, 10:55   #47
Team-BHP Support

Nikhil i suggest you go with Altis, it will grow on you. If its diesel try Cruze also, but its not a luxury car spec at the rear. Its a hoot to drive though
Old 10th February 2010, 11:06   #48
Distinguished - BHPian

Thanks Jaggu.... but Cruze is not in our consideration. Not looking at a diesel and I've heard the clutch is really hard. Also, Chevy's service is a concern. Not too keen on it.

Please dont say Altis! It might grow on me, but the Civic is already there!
Old 10th February 2010, 12:00   #49
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikhilb2008 View Post
How is the visibility from the driver's position? In the NHC, it can be a pain sometimes as the A pillar blocks visibility.
Its further worse in Civic.. thats why I said "It has some blind spots (most cars have it these days)." The height of windows is also less (vertically). one has to use the OVRMs all the time to look around. It does not have 360 Vision. But that I believe one gets used to with time.
Old 10th February 2010, 12:18   #50
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks guys.... We'll see how the test drive goes.

MKC --- How is the visibility from the driver's position? In the NHC, it can be a pain sometimes as the A pillar blocks visibility.
Yes, the thick A-pillar hinders visibility in Civic too, and one needs to bend and peep though the windows at times (especially during initial ownership). But one would get used to it pretty soon. IMHO, this should not be a deal breaker.
Old 10th February 2010, 12:20   #51
Distinguished - BHPian

Also, if we decide on the Civic, I'm tilting towards the spoiler. Really enhances the look of the car. What is the cost for an OEM spoiler? And where can I get spoilers outside for 1/3rd the cost(as has been mentioned in many Civic threads)?
Old 10th February 2010, 12:34   #52
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gaurav_chopra04 View Post
Its further worse in Civic.. thats why I said "It has some blind spots (most cars have it these days)." The height of windows is also less (vertically). one has to use the OVRMs all the time to look around. It does not have 360 Vision. But that I believe one gets used to with time.
Coming from a SX4 with its rather large A-pillar, I find the one in Civic not much of a hindrance at all.. Moreover, due to the lengthy front door and dashboard, the A-pillar is placed farther ahead.. so, you won't even notice its there..

Quote:
Also, if we decide on the Civic, I'm tilting towards the spoiler. Really enhances the look of the car. What is the cost for an OEM spoiler? And where can I get spoilers outside for 1/3rd the cost(as has been mentioned in many Civic threads)?
OEM Modolu spoiler costs 20K from one honda dealer, but another dealer offered me at 15K. Outside, it merely costs around 3-5K depending on the material quality (ABS/PP will be more expensive). Original Type R and mugen style Type R should be around 6-15 K depending on the material... There are whole lot of accessories available in the market for Civic.. so look around and you will be surprised

Last edited by iTNerd : 10th February 2010 at 12:36.
Old 10th February 2010, 13:10   #53
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by iTNerd View Post
Coming from a SX4 with its rather large A-pillar, I find the one in Civic not much of a hindrance at all.. Moreover, due to the lengthy front door and dashboard, the A-pillar is placed farther ahead.. so, you won't even notice its there..
Exactly, thats why I said, its about getting used to. If one is already used to cars like sx4, swift or the NHC (havent driven NHC a lot so its difficult for me to compare), the A pillar of Civic wont bother much. But when we compare to the Cedia and the Altis, the A Pillar is too thick and car be a hindrance. However, I agree with MKC and you that this should not be a deal breaker.

@ nikhil, I am sure you have seen ITNerd's car, it looks excellent. The spoiler, side skirts and the red Honda badge has totally changed the looks of the car.

Just one thing... dont upgrade the alloys to anything over 16s, the ride will go toooo harsh.

Last edited by gaurav_chopra04 : 10th February 2010 at 13:12.
Old 10th February 2010, 16:00   #54
Distinguished - BHPian

TD the Civic today.

The moment you get in, it feels so much better than the Altis. Somehow it feels classier. It leaves the Cedia for dead.

The driving experience is superb. The steering is as good as the Cedia, well, almost. But it is very difficult to find fault with it. The suspension is soft, but it works well in corners. There is no major body roll. More than Cedia for sure, but it's totally ok.

The soft suspension is fabulous over bad roads. It is extremely comfortable in the back. The seat, the headrests, the suspension all combine to give you a really plush ride.

The transmission is typical Honda. Smooth and crisp. However, this TD car wasnt too good. It had done 30k kms and the transmission wasnt too smooth. Going from 1st to 2nd aggressively meant a big jerk. But the shift action is really nice. Again, it's difficult for me to choose between this and the Cedia's transmission.

Leather seats are nice but I dont like it. It's totally unsuitable for our weather. I would much rather dad went in for the S and got fog lamps added.

We even went to Magnum Honda and checked out the new Civic. They had a white one on display. The V Variant.

Decision will be made soon.
Old 10th February 2010, 17:17   #55
Senior - BHPian

@Nikhilb2008, am I sensing a new Civic in your garage soon..lol! What irony is you almost decided on a car that was not in your initial evaluation! I think you should also test drive the Cruze, just for the sake of it..

If you are not too keen on the leather, then get the S.. the new fabric pattern is kinda nice, and its very comfy..

Last edited by iTNerd : 10th February 2010 at 17:20.
Old 10th February 2010, 20:15   #56
Team-BHP Support

LOL since you are a Honda fan i guess decision is made. Still i would say Toyota over Honda for the better longevity they have especially in our indian conditions.

Service with Chevy shouldnt be a problem since you have TVS next to your shop and it now comes with autobox
Old 10th February 2010, 20:59   #57
BHPian

How about to be launch Linea T-Jet?
Old 10th February 2010, 21:28   #58
Distinguished - BHPian

Fiat is ruled out for sure.

As of now, it's looking like a Honda Civic though.... 99%. Will probably decide by the end of the week hopefully.

Last edited by Nikhilb2008 : 10th February 2010 at 21:31.
Old 10th February 2010, 21:38   #59
BHPian

So finally the decision is made. Sad that the Cedia couldn't make it to your garage (which also means a drive or two for me).

Congrats, civic is a looker and also very comfy. So when is the purchase due?
Old 11th February 2010, 11:44   #60
Senior - BHPian

@ Nikhil, I was sure that you will like the Civic. The interiors are to die for.
All the best

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks