Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 5th October 2009, 00:41   #1
BHPian

YAPT - Yet Another Punto Thread

Hello Everyone,

I have booked a GP MJD E+ Bossa Nova White. Delivery scheduled after a couple of days.

There are lots of threads detailing strengths & weaknesses of this car. I have nothing specific to add to it.

Why Punto?
1. Amazing ride - My family (including me) has a history of back problems. So suspension was going to be a deal breaker. GP passed this test with flying colors.
2. Safety features - ABS & Air bags were considered must by all family members (after a couple of gyan sessions by yours truly). I always wanted these features in my car. While in US I was saved by ABS on a couple of occasions (A deer jumped out of nowhere, right in front of my car while I was doing 80+ MPH. Second time it was the black ice.)
3. Economy - I would be clocking 1200-1500 KM/month. So fuel type (diesel) as well FE was going to be the next deal breaker. Based on various reviews on T-BHP, its safe to say Punto would settle around 15 KMPL in city and around 17-18 KMPL on highways. So GP exceeded my expectations here as well.

Other factors:
1. Handling - I was ready to compromise on this factor. But in case of GP it was a bonus.
2. Emotional - My father had a Premier Padmini that he sold off at the beginning of this year as he was advised against driving a car. He loved his PP so much that he was kinda sad since she left our garage. So I wanted to bring back smile on his face by buying another Fiat. He was so excited when I took him to the Tata-Fiat showroom for a test drive. It was "For everything else you have a Mastercard" moment for me.

What other cars were considered?
1. Maruti Swift - Excellent car. Didn't like the ride quality especially at the back. Too many of them on road.
2. Hyundai i20 - Nice car. Again ride quality at the back was better in Punto.
3. Indica Vista - This car gave a tough competition to Punto. Its spacious, great suspension, good FE, competitive price tag. Had TATA Motors offered ABS, Airbags at least in the top end model, I would have been writing a Vista review by now. My brother in law who was shopping for his ride with me settled for this one.
4. Never considered Aveo UVA (GM troubles in US), Fabia(Way too expensive), Jazz (Out of my budget)

I had a quick look at the car at Fortune Nerul. Everything seemed spot on except the ODO reading. ODO shows 225 KMs already (The Reason: car was driven from Pune). I am not sure if I should demand another car. The dealership experience has been good so far. They have been very co-operative. Touch wood.

TBHP has played an important role in the whole process. Special thanks to fellow BHPians (Amit, VahanPujari, FastLove, Klub Class, gods-envy, shantyrocks and all others) who replied to my numerous queries. I owe a lot to fellow punters who keep updating their threads religiously. Hats off to you guys.

BTW whats the footwear other Punters have on their Punto (Goodyear GT3 or Bridgestone)? Also has anyone replaced stock speakers as yet? If yes details please.

Here are some pics I clicked at Fortune Nerul.
Attached Thumbnails
YAPT - Yet Another Punto Thread-dsc06706.jpg  

YAPT - Yet Another Punto Thread-dsc06707.jpg  

YAPT - Yet Another Punto Thread-dsc06708.jpg  

Last edited by Rock 'n' rollz : 5th October 2009 at 00:56.
Old 5th October 2009, 00:53   #2
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rock 'n' rollz View Post
Hello Everyone,

I have booked a GP MJD E+ Bossa Nova White. Delivery scheduled after a couple of days.
Congrats on the purchase, looking forward to pics (I haven't seen a white Punto yet) and to your subsequent experiences with the car.

Quote:
So I wanted to bring back smile on his face by buying another Fiat. He was so excited when I took him to the Tata-Fiat showroom for a test drive. It was "For everything else you have a Mastercard" moment for me.
These moments are what life's for
Old 5th October 2009, 01:00   #3
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gomzi View Post
Congrats on the purchase, looking forward to pics (I haven't seen a white Punto yet)
Thanks gomzi. I have just attached a few pics to the thread. Hope you enjoy them. There are a couple of BNW Puntos @ TBHP already.

Last edited by Rock 'n' rollz : 5th October 2009 at 01:07.
Old 5th October 2009, 01:10   #4
BHPian

I had a quick look at the car at Fortune Nerul. Everything seemed spot on except the ODO reading. ODO shows 225 KMs already (The Reason: car was driven from Pune). I am not sure if I should demand another car. The dealership experience has been good so far. They have been very co-operative. Touch wood.

Congratulations on booking of the Punto.

Regarding ODO please check few other cars for their odo readings. Incase they get these cars by road driven then all cars will have simillar readings.
Old 5th October 2009, 01:15   #5
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiren View Post
Regarding ODO please check few other cars for their odo readings. Incase they get these cars by road driven then all cars will have simillar readings.
Thanks Kiren. I forgot to mention that I did check a Linea that was claimed to have been driven along with my car and it had similar odo reading. But one can always argue that both the cars could have been used for test drives. I asked for another Punto that was standing nearby but the guy declined saying he didn't have the key.

Last edited by Rock 'n' rollz : 5th October 2009 at 01:17.
Old 5th October 2009, 01:44   #6
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rock 'n' rollz View Post
Thanks Kiren. I forgot to mention that I did check a Linea that was claimed to have been driven along with my car and it had similar odo reading. But one can always argue that both the cars could have been used for test drives. I asked for another Punto that was standing nearby but the guy declined saying he didn't have the key.
Thats simple BS. They have keys for every car, be it at the yard or at showroom.

IMO, new cars should have less than 100 kms on the odo, unless otherwise the RTO is real far off (they need to drive the car to RTO for registration).

In my case I received my Hyundai i10 with 39 kms on the odo. And the RTO I selected was 8 kms from the yard and 17 kms from dealership. So total 25 kms I can get count of. Rest 14 I did not bother asking.

But shed this minor niggle from your head if everything else goes right - and enjoy your car. Congrats!

Last edited by blackasta : 5th October 2009 at 01:45.
Old 5th October 2009, 07:53   #7
BHPian

Quote:
I had a quick look at the car at Fortune Nerul. Everything seemed spot on except the ODO reading. ODO shows 225 KMs already
I had carried out the PDI in the concorde stockyard not too long ago and will be carrying out another one today at the workshop.

My car's odo was 17km. They told me that the cars are loaded on a truck.
For my current Punto's PDI is due today, and I asked them to bring it to the workshop, they upfront told me that the car would have a the ODO at 60-70km because it will be driven from Bhiwandi to Worli. Completely acceptable.

225: Not sure. Thats some amount of driving. But as blackasta says above - if everything is good, go ahead.
Old 5th October 2009, 08:28   #8
Senior - BHPian

Yummy! The car looks absolutely stunning in white! Congrats.
Old 5th October 2009, 09:06   #9
Senior - BHPian

Congrats man, Punto looks beautiful

How about painting rear view mirrors in red? It'll look hot!!
Old 5th October 2009, 10:05   #10
BHPian

Congrats on your white GP, the car looks hot. I have also booked a white GP E+. Please do post more pictures.
Old 5th October 2009, 10:53   #11
Senior - BHPian

Looks good in white.Congrats on the buy.How abt painting Black on front grills?
Old 5th October 2009, 11:10   #12
Senior - BHPian

Congrats Rock, Great choice of car & color!

Enjoy the Italian stunner!
Old 5th October 2009, 11:11   #13
BHPian

Congrats!! Yet another Punter in Team BHP (YAPT)

Great choice both of color and the ride. Enjoy your ride and keep the posts coming.
Old 5th October 2009, 11:15   #14
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Latheesh View Post

How about painting rear view mirrors in red? It'll look hot!!
I'm not sure it'll look good.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramsagar View Post
How abt painting Black on front grills?
Now you are talking.

@Rock n roll Congrats on the new purchase. Any specific reasons for the color? Red looks the best on this one, IMHO white on the Punto makes it look like a scared cat from the front. No offense meant.
Old 5th October 2009, 11:40   #15
Senior - BHPian

congrats man , punto looks great in white, do keep waxing/polishing it.
And welcome to the Punto club

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks