Team-BHP - My new Chevy Spark
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-drives-initial-ownership-reports/)
-   -   My new Chevy Spark (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-drives-initial-ownership-reports/67618-my-new-chevy-spark.html)

This is my first post in TBHP. My membership got approved after a long wait. This forum was a great help in chosing my car and the ICE setup for it.

My search for a new car started in September after my 12 year old esteem gave up on me. The requirement was for a car thats peppy, with decent FE, has all basic features (read AC, power steering, power windows) and will fit in my portico. Budget was around 4 lakhs. My first choice was the Xeta just because of the sheer VFM. But top end variant without power windows was a major let down. Also read mixed reviews about the ride quality as the car ages and the resale value. So that was off the table. Didn't want to own a Maruti or Hyundai for no obvious reason. Probably because there were just too many of them on the road already.

Dropped in to Kropex (GM dealer in Bangalore) for a TD of U-VA and Spark on Sep 28th. Tried the U-VA first. I felt it was very underpowered and sluggish. According to me it was priced steeply for the package. The Spark on the contrary was fun to drive. The dash with the speedo console in the center looked different but not very odd. It looked a lot bigger inside atleast from the drivers seat compared to the exterior look. The boot was tiny and the rear looked not so appealing. The sales guy offered a 55K cash discount on it. On top of that 3 year/45000 KM service warranty was offered for free. That includes even the oil change and labour costs! That means I just spend on the fuel for next 3 years. That was an offer I couldn't refuse.

The next two days were spent on reading owership reviews and research. Thanks to TBHPians for providing all that information which is otherwise impossible to know. Didn't take long to make the decision. Was swaying between the LS and the LT variant. Only the LT variant had the 60:40 split seat with the head rests (very handy given the tiny boot space). With all four PW, all painted exteriors, roof rails, rear wiper & demister and roof rails, at 30K extra it was a no brainer. Booked the top end black LT variant on Oct 1st. On road price was 3.93L. Talked the sales guy into throwing in a Autocop security system and the tints worth 5K for free.:Cheering:

So far the experience with Kropex was pleasant. Very courteous staff, and the entire deal went very smooth. They promised delivery on Oct 11th initially, later postponed to 16th. Recieved a call on 14th from them letting me know that the vehicle has arrived at the showroom. The sales guy said that installing ICE outside the dealership might void the warranty. They had limited options inhouse which was also expensive. That to me, didn't make any sense. However he agreed to do a free installation of the ICE that I can source outside. I was planning on a basic ICE setup with just the HU and 4 speakers for now anyways. So I dropped the HU and the speakers at the showroom on 14th. The vehicle was registered on the same day and was due for delivery the next day.

Got a call from dealer on the 15th, asking me to pick up the vehicle in the afternoon. By the time I got there all the accessories were installed and the car was ready to hit the road. Everything was in place and even the ICE was installed very professionaly. They even had the number plates put up. They gave me a demo and ran me through the paperwork. Also got the usual Chevy doll and the box of chocolates. I was one happy customer driving out in spanking new car with a big grin on my face.:) Nothing like the smell of a new car. I am loving it!

The dealer put in 5 ltrs of fuel. Got out of the showroom and did a tank up using auto cut-off. Now the odo reading shows 170. Reset one of the two trip meters after the full tank. After 100.5 KMs and did a full tank again. It took in 7.29 Ltrs, leaving my FE at 13.78 Kms/Ltr. This was mostly in the city with AC on most of the time. The ride quality is very good for whatever little driving I have done. But the engine is not as silent as the test drive vehicle or like what the fellow TBHPians have experienced with their Spark. When I am changing gears and releasing the clutch I can feel the engine revving up a bit, like I am pressing the accelarator pedal. Any insight on this would be helpful, before I get it checked on 1st service at 1000 KM.

Otherwise I am thoroughly enjoying the drive. Taking it easy to run it in. Absence of a tachometer even in the top end variant is frustrating. Its very difficult to maintain the RPM limits during the run-in period. The manual doesn't have the optimal speeds for different gears. It would be great if someone can tell me whats the optimum speed for different gears during the run in.

- looks
- ride quality
- interiors
- attention to detail

Dislikes:
- Absence of Tacho
- boot space

I have attached a few pictures. Will add more later.

Cheers

@ Thegame - Welcome to Team Bhp and congratulations. Black Spark looks brilliant with beige interiors.

hey Game,

Congrats on the buy ! Your car looks very very cute and adorable.

While i think you are releasing the clutch lever a little which is causing the car to rev a little. Just get a little conscious while driving for a while, it should be alright.

Did you remove those plastic covers from your seat ? from everywhere ?

Congratulations !

And Welcome to Spark Owner Club clap:

I am not sure why initial odo was 170 (i think it is on higher side?). Mine was 40 (Yard was around 22 m from showroom).

Happy to know you are enjoying your drive. We share same feeling about sparky.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/hatchb...delivered.html

Dont worry, engine noise will go down with some run in.

Congrats on your new car and welcome to the SPARK club.

I have Spark Blazing red LT variant clocked 1K Km, and man its fun to drive.

Regarding accelerator pedal acting odd, my Sparky has the same issue and think the culprit is the floor carpet/mat. Just press pedal full with hand and check whethar side wall carpet touches the pedal rod. That is the reson we get the feeling like pedal is alive. My first service is due and planning to get it checked during service.

Let me know your comment about gear shifting, is it smooth? Even after 1K I face bit difficulty in putting 1st and reverse gear some time.

Congratulations!!! Spark is one of the best city cars. I'm sure you will enjoy driving it.

As far as the gear shifting is concerned, I too am not very happy. I have done about 12k kms and still struggle once in a while with the first and reverse gears.

Car looks cute and beautiful.
I dont know why they have to shift the consol to centre of dashboard?
We are used to see it behind the wheel and a sudden change will have initial
discomfort. But you will get into it very soon.
Enjoy great drive!
Cheers

Quote:

Originally Posted by Latheesh (Post 1536442)

Let me know your comment about gear shifting, is it smooth? Even after 1K I face bit difficulty in putting 1st and reverse gear some time.

i am also facing the same.

Congrats on your cute little car.
Take good care of the black color, at least with a wash every weekend - I know what it is like to own and maintain a black car!
Any plans of alloys/tire upgrade?
FE seems good too.

Quote:

Originally Posted by nairrk (Post 1536454)
Car looks cute and beautiful.
I dont know why they have to shift the consol to centre of dashboard?
We are used to see it behind the wheel and a sudden change will have initial
discomfort. But you will get into it very soon.
Enjoy great drive!
Cheers

You get used to it over a point of time. I remember TDind the Spark and I felt like somethings missing. :)

Quote:

Originally Posted by nandans2005 (Post 1536226)
hey Game,

Congrats on the buy ! Your car looks very very cute and adorable.

While i think you are releasing the clutch lever a little which is causing the car to rev a little. Just get a little conscious while driving for a while, it should be alright.

Did you remove those plastic covers from your seat ? from everywhere ?

Thanks Nandan! Yes. I have removed the plastic cover from every where. Will put in the art leather seat covers before the fabric becomes dirty.

Quote:

Originally Posted by idea1979 (Post 1536254)
Congratulations !

And Welcome to Spark Owner Club clap:

I am not sure why initial odo was 170 (i think it is on higher side?). Mine was 40 (Yard was around 22 m from showroom).

Thank you! The Odo was 170 when I was writing the post. When I got it it was 43.

congrats on the sparky!! its a super car to drive in the city!! my inlaws got one (Blazing Red LS) not long ago from the same place, karthik was our sales person! very courteous chap!!

btw, a nice write up as well!! congrats again and happy motoring!! :)

Quote:

Originally Posted by raamki (Post 1537536)
its a super car to drive in the city!!

Just back from a drive to where parking was an issue, and decided to take the Spark, and it continues to bring a smile on my face. There are some issues, the gear change is a bit notchy, but nothing that one cannot learn to manage with practice. As the car gets run in, it will do even better, so if you are happy with it when new, the good news is that it gets better! GM service is a pleasure too, and the sales numbers tell the story that more and more people in India are realizing what a brilliant little package this car is - the best at its price point, I do believe.

Congrats game, its a cute looking car. Enjoy your drive.