Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 24th October 2009, 14:23   #16
Senior - BHPian

Pras,

I don't know. I'd heard of all those words - but I tried out for myself - took out a friend's car pre dawn on the Del GGN expressway. Took my swift to some obscene three digit speeds, heard some lovely tyre squeals but no great shakes. Then took his Verna in the same routine and both of us almost had a heart attack

Maybe a tyre upgrade cures that - but my shoddy stock JKs manage well for the Swift - that says a fair bit itself, no?
Old 24th October 2009, 14:51   #17
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by phamilyman View Post
Pras,

I don't know. I'd heard of all those words - but I tried out for myself - took out a friend's car pre dawn on the Del GGN expressway. Took my swift to some obscene three digit speeds, heard some lovely tyre squeals but no great shakes. Then took his Verna in the same routine and both of us almost had a heart attack

Maybe a tyre upgrade cures that - but my shoddy stock JKs manage well for the Swift - that says a fair bit itself, no?
Agreed that the verna isnt the greatest of handlers. I will be the first to put my hand up. But I think that some of these notions are exaggerated. I have taken my car to high speeds on the 185 bridgestones and while it wasnt the greatest of feelings, it certainly was not as if the car was going to kill me with its handling.

Like I said, a tire upsize takes care of it, so its not as if the problem is not fixable. A lot also has to do with how the car is being handled. Its not a car for someone who freaks out easily on heavy braking.

However, I think its high time the car was given its due. It has won over a lot of hearts. The rest bought fiestas or swifts
Old 24th October 2009, 19:31   #18
mkh
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkbharat View Post
wow, you are the first I know, who went for Petrol Verna
Acutally in my company parking, i see more of verna petrols than diesels and more than fiesta's. I was getting a good deal on a less used car, but then i think even if i went for a new one apart from linea which one would serve my need?? none better...linea- well i need to gather enough guts to trust fiat
Old 24th October 2009, 19:33   #19
mkh
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pras.oct25 View Post
I think that all the negative publicity surrounding the verna has also led to the car not being popular. A simple tire upsize takes car of 85% of the handling and suspension problems the car faces. This coming from a verna owner, and many other owners will vouch for the same.
Hi Pras
I am feeling that its a little bouncy, does not absorb the bumps etc as i would like to at times, what upgrade will you suggest without changing the rim?
Also- my highway run is only 10%, so dunno if i really will face any handling challenges in the city...
Old 25th October 2009, 00:39   #20
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkh View Post
Hi Pras
I am feeling that its a little bouncy, does not absorb the bumps etc as i would like to at times, what upgrade will you suggest without changing the rim?
Also- my highway run is only 10%, so dunno if i really will face any handling challenges in the city...
For my crdi I have gone in for an upgrade from the 185/65/r14s to 195/60/r14s. r15 would improve your handling, but it would affect the ride quality. You can choose between the 195/60 or 196/65 r14s. Ride might be better in 65, but handling should be better in the 60s. The stock 5.5J rims should be able to handle the 195s without any issues. If your going for an alloy upgrade, you can take the 6Js.

Edit: The above advice is given to you assuming that you are running 185 stock tires. If you have the 175s, then the rim size will not be enough for supporting 195 and you will have to go in for alloys I guess.
For choice of tire I would recommend michelin xm1+. You will not regret it.

Last edited by pras.oct25 : 25th October 2009 at 00:43.
Old 25th October 2009, 23:19   #21
mkh
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pras.oct25 View Post
For my crdi I have gone in for an upgrade from the 185/65/r14s to 195/60/r14s. r15 would improve your handling, but it would affect the ride quality. You can choose between the 195/60 or 196/65 r14s. Ride might be better in 65, but handling should be better in the 60s. The stock 5.5J rims should be able to handle the 195s without any issues. If your going for an alloy upgrade, you can take the 6Js.

Edit: The above advice is given to you assuming that you are running 185 stock tires. If you have the 175s, then the rim size will not be enough for supporting 195 and you will have to go in for alloys I guess.
For choice of tire I would recommend michelin xm1+. You will not regret it.
I have the 185 stock tires. Give me some more idea on how does ride improve with the 195/65? I am looking at making up for the little bouncy ride that comes probably due to stiff suspensions ( if am correct). Cant get a honda city ride but want better effect on the potholes which are more than roads in bangalore
Old 25th October 2009, 23:56   #22
BHPian

Quote:
I have the 185 stock tires. Give me some more idea on how does ride improve with the 195/65? I am looking at making up for the little bouncy ride that comes probably due to stiff suspensions ( if am correct). Cant get a honda city ride but want better effect on the potholes which are more than roads in bangalore
Actually isnt the verna suspension extremely soft? When you compare it to the hard getz crdi suspension you will notice the difference.

With the 65 profile you will have better ground clearance, and the ride should stiffen up more than the 60 profile. That is the difference I felt between my verna and the other verna I drove on the 65 profile. I havent done an extensive drive so cant comment on how much better it will be. You can probably search around the forum for more answers to that. But again, in the 65s you may not have enough options for tires. You will have more options in the 195/60s I guess.
Old 26th October 2009, 12:25   #23
mkh
Senior - BHPian

Attaching some pics folks- sorry for the delay
Hope you enjoy- can take some pride in working hard to make it look pristine..thanks to my efforts and the car detailing products i use...i got interior cleaning done and as usual not 100% satisfied applied interior cleaner on the dash and plastics.
Exterior polishing also done by self..
2 very interesting experiences
1. Was on the high way and a couple on an i-20 stopped at the same place to eat. Got talking to the guy and asked about the i-20. He saw my car and said- "I too wanted to buy this, but budget was tight- great buy, how many months old" I told him 1.5 years and he could not believe!!!!
2. Went for a TD to hyundai with wife( for i-10). The guy said you could have bought both cars together few months back when you bought the verna..i told him its a year old and he was almost telling me- no sir, why are you kidding with me he he!!!

Honestly- looking at the bashing the car got on TBHP, i am thinking- did i end up making the wrong choice of car??? Need some verna supporters to come forward !!!
Maybe would drive it for a few months and end up selling at the same cost ( have this urge to change cars a lot so can't say!!!!)
Attached Thumbnails
One of the few here- Verna Petrol XXI ownership-img_0499.jpg  

One of the few here- Verna Petrol XXI ownership-img_0502.jpg  

One of the few here- Verna Petrol XXI ownership-img_0476.jpg  

One of the few here- Verna Petrol XXI ownership-img_0479.jpg  

One of the few here- Verna Petrol XXI ownership-img_0480.jpg  

One of the few here- Verna Petrol XXI ownership-img_0485.jpg  

One of the few here- Verna Petrol XXI ownership-img_0486.jpg  

One of the few here- Verna Petrol XXI ownership-img_0487.jpg  

One of the few here- Verna Petrol XXI ownership-img_0488.jpg  

One of the few here- Verna Petrol XXI ownership-img_0493.jpg  

Old 26th October 2009, 12:43   #24
Senior - BHPian

Mkh, are you sure the car is 1.5 years old? She looks like she came out of the showroom. The interiors are spotless! Can you let us know what interior and exterior detailing products you use?
Old 26th October 2009, 13:37   #25
mkh
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gilead View Post
Mkh, are you sure the car is 1.5 years old? She looks like she came out of the showroom. The interiors are spotless! Can you let us know what interior and exterior detailing products you use?
Hi,
Thanks- took a lot of effort
1.Interiors- i got the upholstery cleaning from 3M. I got it done 2 times as was not happy the first time and i know the service mgr v well so he did it again
Then used a product that i got from the US for plastics cleaning. Its a vinyl and plastic cleaner basically. I guess even the Formula1 product is v good for plastics
2. Exteriors- i have always been using for all my cars and my dads- amway car wash, its THE best and has polishing and waxing agent. I use with a sponge and not with a cloth. I then apply Silicone Glaze also amway product - once in a month to start with till the paint gloss deepens and after than once 2/3 months.(depends on how many times it rains). I have seen that over a period of time my black santro and same color getz - the color richness improved. However- both were used cars so for new ones, not needed for 2 months once applied unless rains a lot. Use a waste to apply it -and use soft cloth to buff..
I get these prods at home as my wife is a distributor so no problems getting them. If you need them- can get you in chennai from a friend there.
I have never gone for any treatment for any of my cars(entire family) and the paint has retained its gloss over years.
However i need to find out how to prevent the surface swirls hence looking for a paint sealant solution- maybe waxoyl.
All my used car purchases turn out to better looking than what condition i bot them in over months
Hope this helps- PM me if you need more info/help.
Old 1st January 2010, 12:57   #26
mkh
Senior - BHPian

Update-

Been a while since i updated the thread
Have been using the car only for city driving as of now. Had done only 1 trip outstation.
Mileage: Getting about 10.5-11 in city with bumper to bumper traffic mostly and this was when the service was due, in fact was a month behind.
Issues/Concerns:
1.Clearly hyundai needs to learn how to make cars not bounce, they need to put better suspensions on their premium sedans else they would lose the edge very soon with the fiats and maruti's offering superior ride quality. It surely goes over the potholes decently well in fact absorbs some very well but some of the speed breakers- it just makes you sway when it goes over( like what happens in a boat)
2. Yes high speed handling is not that great- tried to do some spirited driving, its not gripped onto the road very well so surely its not a car for those who like to zip away
3.Gear shift- i was finding it tough to get adjusted since drive the i-10 also, which is easy but this has long throws. However i got it serviced just a couple of days back and the shifts are smoother now so the long throws are not that much of a bother
Positives:
1. As i mentioned and the same is what i experience- city driving is easy with the light steering, very easy to negotiate the traffice
2. Fantastic service- I got it serviced from hyundai and they really gave me a "different" treatment- cause probably i am now a premium car customer?
The cost of the paid service was ONLY 2500...I used to that much for my getz and santro too!! This was the FIRST paid service but i am really really happy with the maintenance cost which is vv low. I know some Ford car friends who say they pay nothing less than 4K each service..
3. Interiors- NOT a single rattle or any signs that interior quality is not top class...just saw a ANHC SMT recently- man the plastics looked cheap!( no offence intended- just my view)
Old 1st January 2010, 14:23   #27
Senior - BHPian

Excellent report there.

The Verna Petrol is hugely under estimated. I know so many people who own it. The Diesels no doubt account for maybe 3/4ths the sales BUT that said I guess it just did not went on to become a huge hit unlike it's earlier sibling Accent which went on to sell extremely well and still does till today.

The Interors are roomy, spacious and functional. No nonsense interiors. The quality is top and not a squeek or a nut going loose even after 2 years of driving on extremely bad roads ( I have seen a lot of Petrol Verna's in our Industrial area where the battering the car takes is extremely high )

The handling - people say a lot about it. I have driven the Stock Verna Petrol and driven it at speeds of more than 120 kph and it did so effortlessly.

Congratulations once again
Old 1st January 2010, 16:52   #28
mkh
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vkochar View Post
Excellent report there.

The Verna Petrol is hugely under estimated. I know so many people who own it. The Diesels no doubt account for maybe 3/4ths the sales BUT that said I guess it just did not went on to become a huge hit unlike it's earlier sibling Accent which went on to sell extremely well and still does till today.

The Interors are roomy, spacious and functional. No nonsense interiors. The quality is top and not a squeek or a nut going loose even after 2 years of driving on extremely bad roads ( I have seen a lot of Petrol Verna's in our Industrial area where the battering the car takes is extremely high )

The handling - people say a lot about it. I have driven the Stock Verna Petrol and driven it at speeds of more than 120 kph and it did so effortlessly.

Congratulations once again
Thanks- really appreciate the kind words...i had checked with a couple of hyundai sales managers and they told me petrol VS Diesel is about 50-50 in bangalore and all india should be 60-40 at the most, the figures are not released anywhere to validate these numbers..
I agree that the build quality is superior to the rest...
Old 1st January 2010, 17:16   #29
BHPian

Consider a tire upgrade to solve your handling issues and to improve your ride quality.
Old 1st January 2010, 17:36   #30
BHPian

Quote:
Hi,
Thanks- took a lot of effort
1.Interiors- i got the upholstery cleaning from 3M. I got it done 2 times as was not happy the first time and i know the service mgr v well so he did it again
Then used a product that i got from the US for plastics cleaning. Its a vinyl and plastic cleaner basically. I guess even the Formula1 product is v good for plastics
2. Exteriors- i have always been using for all my cars and my dads- amway car wash, its THE best and has polishing and waxing agent. I use with a sponge and not with a cloth. I then apply Silicone Glaze also amway product - once in a month to start with till the paint gloss deepens and after than once 2/3 months.(depends on how many times it rains). I have seen that over a period of time my black santro and same color getz - the color richness improved. However- both were used cars so for new ones, not needed for 2 months once applied unless rains a lot. Use a waste to apply it -and use soft cloth to buff..
I get these prods at home as my wife is a distributor so no problems getting them. If you need them- can get you in chennai from a friend there.
I have never gone for any treatment for any of my cars(entire family) and the paint has retained its gloss over years.
However i need to find out how to prevent the surface swirls hence looking for a paint sealant solution- maybe waxoyl.
All my used car purchases turn out to better looking than what condition i bot them in over months
Hope this helps- PM me if you need more info/help.
Very well maintained car i must say.

Which one of these products you use for interior cleaning ????

Formula 1 - Interior Products

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks