Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 3rd November 2009, 21:29   #1
BHPian

hi friends ,
this is my first post in teambhp . i hope i am not wrong in writing here but if yes then mods pl. redirect me.. I have bought an i20 CRDI 1.4 Crystal white magna few days back and would like to share the experience with you ...

First of all the decision…
Choice was between diesel hatches --i20, SWIFT , Punto, Ritz , Fabia,(no Vista becos was getting rid of old faithful Indica and wanted a change).
Ritz out becos of small inside, slightly weird behind( I liked it/wife did not),and a very loud whishing/windy sound from outside back end when TDing at high speed > 85-90 kmph( HAS NOBODY NOTICED IT ? fellow accompanying us said it is not just in the TD car-it is in all Ritzs !!!?) ( haywire aerodyanmics becos of chopped off rear??)
Swift out becos of loong waiting period for a 4 year old car, no discounts/freebees whatsoever,somber interiors, ‘take it or leave it’ attitude of Maruti guys, no newer versions in Diesel. ( Otherwise THE BEST HATCH )
Punto out becos of LOUD engine inside, heavy feel for lady driver, reports of poor interiors/plastics/Fiat ***( otherwise my fav.)
Fabia out becos of old tech engine.
I20 IN becos of genuine novelty value, head turning good looks, very easy driving, very very peppy engine(1.4 l !), luxurious interiors, excellent fit/finish, silent cabin,great seats….

Buying experience….
Tded crdi at M R hyundai Loni road new showroom. Guy gave me TD on some customers car , so never went back to him , liked the TD though ;-)
Decided on i20 after poring through teambhp for Months and months till my 7 year/ > 2 lac km Indica refused to budge( still sold off for 72 thou !!)
Went straight to Capital Hyundai , NOIDA .thay didn’t have to work on me so it was a cake walk for them. Still Vikas took us to the open air stockyard for finalising color in daylight. IMHO red is the best in this car but I already had red in Feista so went for the next best which Is crytal white.)
Booked on 12th sep, promised del in one and half months time( after Diwali). No update for 2 weeks, called them, Vikas on leave, nobody has any idea about my car, shout at manager, gets back with engine no, says car not dispatched becos of floods in S. India and will be further delayed. Then suddenly 2-3 days(1 day before Dhanteras) later get call that your car has come ,pl.come and take it !!!!. Scramble for insurance through brother in Religare( get it at ~ 4000 rs cheaper than showroom insurance rate of 18000), rush for draft at my bank,(pay 2100 RS commision for 6 lac draft !) deliver it to the showroom and extract promise for deliver y next day(dhanteras) at 4 PM.
Next day 3.30PM reach showroom to see 45 cars lined up for delivery !!. Keep pushing them to get work done. Had managed 5000 rs freebees through contacts with showroom owner ;- ) so got seat covers,mats(ill fitting--? of i10), and mudflaps(hyundai monogrammed) free !. No other mods done. Finally get dirty car at 7.30 PM in darkness , tip the helpers, Pujariji mumbles a few shlokas, puts nimbus under the wheels and I am off ! Drop keys in wife’s hand(filmy style!) as surprise purchase of Dhanteras(she did not know car had reached showroom ).

INITIAL IMPRESSIONS …..
Pros –
Head turning good looks, typical Hyundai beauty(head lamps. Rear lights, parking lights, flowing lines/design).Good height/width/length
Novelty value
Very silent inside( NVH <<<<)
Plush, luxurious feel inside
Smooth flowing console/dashboard design( BMW !!)
Radio/CD display unit at a distance away from unit( can be darkened while driving to avoid glare)
v. comfy seats
great hatch door opening mechanism ( via central locking)
great cabin space
great rear head rests
cooled glove box !
boot light
Very perky, powerful and responsive engine. Feather light acclerator. Minor lag felt till 1800 RPM, then zooooooom , Total silence at speeds > 100 , no feeling of engine strain/ body or steering vibration/wind noise/instability( Innova like at high speeds).Easily beats all other small cars and am sure will beat sedans too once I try.

Cons –
Left leg/shin very close to underside of driver side plastic console below steering column.Keeps hitting the console if seat shifted even slightly forward. I am not too tall(5’11) or fat. Seat height not adjustable so nothing can be done about it. Felt it in the TD cars too. Worry that in case of sudden braking even if I slide a little bit forward on my seat , might crash my shin into the console L. ( any body else felt this ??)
Cost cutting on silly/irritating things like—
-no vanity mirrors in either side sunshade,
-no cabin light above IRVM, only single light in between front and back seats.
-Poor horn
-Pathetic speakers ( this is REALLY irritating ) , very pedestrian sound

Retro looks and gill mechanism of AC ducts
Outside engine noise significant( typical diesel mill )(?> than Verna)
Cup/bottle holder in between driver and front passenger seat protrudes too far back towards the rear seat leg space.3rd person sitting in back has to spread feet to either side uncomfortably.
Rear seat ride is bumpy and harsh( maybe will smoothen out later?)
Tools in boot and stepni are not tied/velcro-ed/screwed down, so can hear them bumping in the boot when going over humps
Gear shift is soft and spongy , not the sharp notchy type I have in my Fiesta
Rear view mirror appears inadequate/too small for rear view(have got used to it now but in big car with boot would definitely need rear parking assistance)
I have the feeling that the rear tends to wiggle/slip just a liitle while turning at high speed, but will have to confirm that after actually driving at good speeds after run in period.
To be cont…………..pics etc

Last edited by GTO : 5th November 2009 at 12:53.
Old 4th November 2009, 10:54   #2
MAS
Senior - BHPian

Hi Khanna,

Welcome to Team-bhp!!

Congrats on your new buy. You have posted your new thread in the right place. Please share with the community, your buying and your initial ownership experience of I20. Please also upload pictures of your new drive.

Any modifications done till date?
Old 4th November 2009, 11:04   #3
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by drasitkhanna View Post
I have bought an i20 CRDI 1.4 Crystal white magna few days back and would like to share the experience with you ...
Congrats!

Please post your initial impression, and the pics as well. Nice colour choice too, i20 looks majestic in white!
Old 4th November 2009, 13:32   #4
Senior - BHPian

Congrats on your CRDi, can we have pics of the magna variant with rear discs and ABS? I have yet to see any on road.

I am about to drive the I20 1.6 CRDi with 126 hp and 260 Nm torque export model this Saturday early morning (don't expect any pics) and will give you a report on how it goes like a stink. 16" alloys are standard on that, so is ESP, the car is again LHD and I am looking 0-100 timings in low 9s.
Old 4th November 2009, 14:19   #5
Senior - BHPian

congrats on your new acquisition doc - post a detailed buying experience alongwith pics soon.

Sid, I am really beginning to envy you mate . Seems that you got friends in all the right places.
Old 4th November 2009, 20:12   #6
BHPian

Post deleted by the Team-BHP Support : Please do NOT SPAM the forum. One-liners that add absolutely no value to the thread are strictly prohibited on Team-BHP. Also, try keeping a tab on your smilie usage. We restrict them to two smilies per post.

We advise you to visit our board rules section before proceeding any further.

Last edited by GTO : 5th November 2009 at 12:59.
livyodream is offline   Received Infraction
Old 5th November 2009, 13:01   #7
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Drasitkhanna, Congrats on the car. I have merged your posts (no.1, 2, 3 and 4) on this thread, so that the opening post itself has your entire i20 experience.

Drive safe!
Old 5th November 2009, 13:10   #8
Senior - BHPian

@drasitkhanna--congrats on your new acquisition. She is a real beauty indeed.

My friend bought one a couple of weeks ago, and we'd both TD'd the Punto and i20 before that. Though a lakh costlier, he decided to go in for the i20.

I agree with all the pros you've listed. But on the cons, I found the gear shift as butter smooth as my Fiesta---perhaps even better.

I agree that the speakers don't sound all that good. I too noticed the tool kit making sounds at the rear on bumpy roads on day 1 itself!

I'd also add another con---one tends to press the mute button instead of the horn in the i20!

Post some pics pronto!

Last edited by vnabhi : 5th November 2009 at 13:11.
Old 5th November 2009, 13:16   #9
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by sidindica View Post
I am about to drive the I20 1.6 CRDi with 126 hp and 260 Nm torque export model this Saturday early morning (don't expect any pics) and will give you a report on how it goes like a stink. 16" alloys are standard on that, so is ESP, the car is again LHD and I am looking 0-100 timings in low 9s.
Sorry for the OT. But

i20 1.6 CRDi? 126 bhp, 260 Nm torque?

First the 1.4 petrol launched only with automatic transmission. Now, the 1.6 diesel only for export markets! What about the Indian market, Hyundai.

Hyundai should really give more importance for the i20 in India. It has the potential to overthrow most of the competition, and even take the fight to the sedans!
Old 5th November 2009, 13:33   #10
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post
Sorry for the OT. But

i20 1.6 CRDi? 126 bhp, 260 Nm torque?

First the 1.4 petrol launched only with automatic transmission. Now, the 1.6 diesel only for export markets! What about the Indian market, Hyundai.

Hyundai should really give more importance for the i20 in India. It has the potential to overthrow most of the competition, and even take the fight to the sedans!
Who will buy an i20 for about >9 lakh with all these features?
  • The drive is fixed for next saturday, 14th Nov. watch this space.
  • The car will look exactly the same as shown in these pics, silver with 16" alloys, ESP, seat warmers are standard.
  • The gearbox will be 6-speed manual, not the AT shown here.
  • Interiors are the same with red accents and silver panelling.
  • Only pics that I can post are here.
Attached Thumbnails
My new i20 CRDI 1.4 Crystal white Magna-untitled1.jpg  

My new i20 CRDI 1.4 Crystal white Magna-untitled2.jpg  

My new i20 CRDI 1.4 Crystal white Magna-untitled3.jpg  

My new i20 CRDI 1.4 Crystal white Magna-untitled4.jpg  

My new i20 CRDI 1.4 Crystal white Magna-untitled5.jpg  

My new i20 CRDI 1.4 Crystal white Magna-untitled7.jpg  

My new i20 CRDI 1.4 Crystal white Magna-untitled8.jpg  

Attached Images

Old 5th November 2009, 15:02   #11
Senior - BHPian

Dkhanna, welcome to teambhp.You are the first one to own i20 crdi magna version on bhp.Do share her pictures along with your initial impressions and FE report till now.Overall yes its one of the best hatchbacks on indian road.
Old 5th November 2009, 17:25   #12
BHPian

Congrats Drasitkhanna and thanks for the well written first experience. The way you detailed the pros and cons was really good. If I were to go and do a test drive, I could use your pros/cons and see if I can live with it. Some pictures for us to enjoy?
Old 5th November 2009, 20:45   #13
BHPian

am going to post pics after i first learn how to upload them here ! doing that now...
Old 5th November 2009, 21:44   #14
BHPian

am posting the first few pics of i20 (along with my Fiesta !!). hope you like them. More will follow.
Attached Thumbnails
My new i20 CRDI 1.4 Crystal white Magna-pc120071.jpg  

My new i20 CRDI 1.4 Crystal white Magna-pc120072.jpg  

My new i20 CRDI 1.4 Crystal white Magna-pc120073.jpg  

My new i20 CRDI 1.4 Crystal white Magna-pc120074.jpg  

My new i20 CRDI 1.4 Crystal white Magna-pc120075.jpg  

My new i20 CRDI 1.4 Crystal white Magna-pc120076.jpg  

My new i20 CRDI 1.4 Crystal white Magna-pc120077.jpg  

My new i20 CRDI 1.4 Crystal white Magna-pc120083.jpg  

My new i20 CRDI 1.4 Crystal white Magna-pc120084.jpg  

My new i20 CRDI 1.4 Crystal white Magna-pc120085.jpg  

My new i20 CRDI 1.4 Crystal white Magna-pc120086.jpg  

My new i20 CRDI 1.4 Crystal white Magna-pc120299.jpg  

My new i20 CRDI 1.4 Crystal white Magna-pc120300.jpg  

My new i20 CRDI 1.4 Crystal white Magna-pc120302.jpg  

My new i20 CRDI 1.4 Crystal white Magna-pc120301.jpg  

My new i20 CRDI 1.4 Crystal white Magna-pc120303.jpg  

My new i20 CRDI 1.4 Crystal white Magna-pc120305.jpg  

Last edited by Jaggu : 5th November 2009 at 23:11. Reason: You can attach upto 30 pics, 10 at a time. Use report post to notify mod team. Thanks
Old 5th November 2009, 23:01   #15
Senior - BHPian

Looks really nice, dude - congrats!

That i20 looks like it's begging for some tints though

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks