Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 8th April 2010, 12:08   #211
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by discoverwild View Post
I agree with most of your other points, but quoting this as your reason for not buying one really interested me. Have you tried this stunt (?) on other MUVs too? More precisely, the Xylo and the Scorpio? Here's an ownership experience quoted in one of the other forums from a friend -

"the Xylo drifts as and when it pleases. No effort needed to drift, all efforts will be to keep it from drifting. That car needs ABS pronto. I am in half a mind to trade my Xylo for the new one with ABS. AND YES, I have drifted all over the roads in the Xylo. Wife wasn't around on that trip only the kids and me. "
Yes, I agree absolutely. Since the thread was about Grande MKII, I only spoke about that. The Xylo and Scorpio will also fail the same test. The Bolero, is a better handler overall, from my experience (But Refinement!!!!). Xylo will perhaps be the worst of the lot in this particular test.
Old 8th September 2010, 20:27   #212
BHPian

Few months back in Bangalore when I had gone to drop my car for servicing at Concorde, I just took a peek at Grande MK II. I liked it from some angles and disliked it from some other. Back looked especially boring! I started thinking would Grande be a competitor when I upgrade from a year from now. Mind and heart said No. Xylo looked a better option for my budget range. I know one year is a long time in Indian automotive industry now.

Recently I shifted to New Delhi and I now daily go on Delhi-Gurgaon expressway. This gave me opportunity many times to look at Grande and Xylo side by side from back (while I was driving behind them), and in my rear view mirror for the front. I must say Grande won hands down for me (personal taste). Grande did look Grande. And these were not taxi white color ones. The Grande I saw were of red and walnut gold color with good glass tints and the way it occupied my rear view mirror space, I automatically gave way. The engine is anyway 2.2 VTT Dicor, the tried and tested workhorse. Hmmm, looks like my opinion is changing. I hope in next one year, Tata improves Grande with ABS and more bells and whistles. It would be an interesting race between xylo, grande and some other MUV, if there is any in the pipeline.
Old 19th July 2011, 12:57   #213
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: TATA Sumo Grande MKII - exclusively for T-BHP EDIT : Mumbai launch pics on page 5

Know that am reviving an year old thread, but just came across the Sumo Grande website and in that the Grande MKII Turbo( the non Dicor version)'s LX version, the bottom end one doesn't seem to have under body spare wheel option ticked. Clearly marked as 'No'.
Is it a typo? If not then where is it positioned? Inside the vehicle eating away space of the side facing last row(likely) or tailgate mounted(highly unlikely). ???
Old 23rd September 2011, 19:07   #214
Senior - BHPian

Re: TATA Sumo Grande MKII - exclusively for T-BHP EDIT : Mumbai launch pics on page 5

Looks like Tata is about to launch the facelifted Sumo Grande soon. And they won't call it Sumo anymore. No MkII either. They are calling it just the Grande!

Here's the new website - Tata Motors
Old 23rd September 2011, 19:31   #215
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by safari_lover View Post
Looks like Tata is about to launch the facelifted Sumo Grande soon. And they won't call it Sumo anymore. No MkII either. They are calling it just the Grande!

For a vehicle that has a GVW of above 2.5 tons, its a pity that ABS is not even an option.

Tata must work to reduce the weight on their passenger vehicles especially considering the current fuel prices and future emission norms.
Old 23rd September 2011, 21:19   #216
BHPian

A step motherly treatment for a very potential vehicle. No ABS even as an option for such a huge vehicle is beyond my comprehension! And lesser we talk about the 18th century dashboard, better we are! I guess Tata has decided to spruce up sales by just changing names, and adding some graphics here and there . I have driven MKII few times and it drives so smooth but then there is nothing else to show off!
Old 23rd September 2011, 21:42   #217
BHPian

As said above they should have atleast changed the interiors and modified the suspension. By adding graphics on the body and removing the name Sumo, it will not help in increasing the sales much. But I appreciate their efforts. Hope it does well.
Old 24th September 2011, 00:03   #218
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by safari_lover View Post

Today I went to tata showroom and saw this varient the basic one with grey interior non dicor one and having power windows, looked very downmarket from inside
Old 24th September 2011, 05:10   #219
Senior - BHPian

I agree with you all. Even I was surprised to see the lack of ABS on this, considering that Tata offers it even on the IndigoCS!

Also, they should've taken it as an opportunity to address all the complaints about the MKII.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks