Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 14th December 2009, 21:31   #76
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
sushanthr77 : The older Sumo and Xylo look far better.
. Tell me about it. The older Sumo - definitely yes. The Xylo & Grande are competition.

Quote:
4x4addict : What would you guys call the sequel to the hit movie "Flop"?

How about Floppier, Super Flop, Flop Mark II, Flop Grande?
Grande Flop.
Old 14th December 2009, 21:49   #77
Senior - BHPian

Still looks rudimentry, at least the windscreen-bonnet merger could be more cohesive.
It still reminds me of those ugly 1940s dodge buses. Still looks like a toy.
That grill is almost a blatent copy of 2009 Cadillac CTS.

Choose your colour.
Attached Thumbnails
TATA Sumo Grande MKII - exclusively for T-BHP EDIT : Mumbai launch pics on page 5-untitled1.jpg  

TATA Sumo Grande MKII - exclusively for T-BHP EDIT : Mumbai launch pics on page 5-untitled2.jpg  

TATA Sumo Grande MKII - exclusively for T-BHP EDIT : Mumbai launch pics on page 5-untitled3.jpg  

TATA Sumo Grande MKII - exclusively for T-BHP EDIT : Mumbai launch pics on page 5-untitled4.jpg  

TATA Sumo Grande MKII - exclusively for T-BHP EDIT : Mumbai launch pics on page 5-untitled5.jpg  

TATA Sumo Grande MKII - exclusively for T-BHP EDIT : Mumbai launch pics on page 5-untitled6.jpg  

TATA Sumo Grande MKII - exclusively for T-BHP EDIT : Mumbai launch pics on page 5-untitled7.jpg  

TATA Sumo Grande MKII - exclusively for T-BHP EDIT : Mumbai launch pics on page 5-untitled12.jpg  

Old 14th December 2009, 22:05   #78
BHPian

Arguments about looks and aesthetics apart, a valuable lesson for TATA would be learning the reasons behind the success of bolero and Xylo and why TATA could not taste success with Sumo and Grande.

Though sumo was a success, mahindra just killed TATA UV segment to the extent that now TATA is reporting the sales figures of sumo, grande and safari in a single line item. Now that TATA is keen on reviving the fortunes of indica and indigo, they should take a deep look at their sumo and safari. All these make-ups will not cut it.
Old 15th December 2009, 09:32   #79
Senior - BHPian

Just read in the papers that this is going to cost 25 -30 K lesser. Too less to set sales on fire ?? Well, only time will tell. I have yet to see 2 Grandes on a single city drive.
Old 15th December 2009, 10:28   #80
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by prince_pervez View Post
Just read in the papers that this is going to cost 25 -30 K lesser. Too less to set sales on fire ?? Well, only time will tell. I have yet to see 2 Grandes on a single city drive.
The paper also says that the target is to sell 5000 Grandes per month.
Old 15th December 2009, 10:55   #81
BHPian

MK II is BS III compliant only. TML is going to come up with a BS IV version with a price rice. May be there will further additions like ABS and Airbags
Old 15th December 2009, 11:20   #82
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by manojas View Post
The paper also says that the target is to sell 5000 Grandes per month.
Did the article say 5000 Grandes or all together 5000 ( Sumo Victa + Safari + Grande)
Old 15th December 2009, 11:26   #83
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by teamveevee View Post
Did the article say 5000 Grandes or all together 5000 ( Sumo Victa + Safari + Grande)
I read they targetted 4000 pieces per month. Very optimistic I must say. They atleast should have reduced the prices by quite a margin before shooting of their mouths like the way they did.

Last edited by prince_pervez : 15th December 2009 at 11:27.
Old 15th December 2009, 11:47   #84
BHPian

I think the exact quote was something like, they currently sell 2500 - 3000 MUVs per month and with the Grande II hope to increase it by 800-1000 per month.
Old 15th December 2009, 11:53   #85
Senior - BHPian

Just went and read the article once more.
It says:
Sumo MK II launched blah blah and expects to sell 4000 units per month.

Currently selling 2500 -3000 in the UV segment and this launching might see a growth of 800 - 1000 more.
Old 15th December 2009, 12:24   #86
Senior - BHPian

Lets look at things objectively , Yes Grande was unsucessful in first Avtar.

Looks are subjective people lap up ugly ducklings like Xylo , Qualis < Wagon R and to some extent Scorpio ( excuse me scorp fans but For me Macho != unrefined panel gaps in bumper and body and bumper hanging to one side after few climbs by rear seat passangers).

Leaf Spring not a usual suspect , What matters is smooth ride Coil spring still give boat like handling to various vehicles.

Interiors to some extent but it is improved

So what is the single most important thing
1. Price .. Price and Price : Price it at least 1 lakh cheaper.

Last mile is hardest mile one lakh difference has done wonders to Scorpio mHawk sales.

2. Reputation :
Ordinary folks dont decide based on test drives or if it has eleptic leaf springs or coil springs they just decide on what mechanics say
- utterance of words such as Easy and cheap to maintain by roadside mechanic is the key.

3. Promote to taxi market : This whole notion of offering Grande to premium customer was flawed.
Premium customer will easily shell out 1 lakh more and upgrade to Safari or move to Scorpio in various trims.

Many people hate Indicas citing them as taxis but I have seen so many more who buy Indicas just because so many taxi walas can not be wrong and they know what is best for Indian roads.

Tatas need to target second set of customers.

Last edited by amitk26 : 15th December 2009 at 12:26.
Old 15th December 2009, 13:17   #87
BHPian

I think the only thing that matter is price (^^amitk26). The rest all can be adjusted.

If I am in Tata, I will derive confidence from Mahindra. After all if the Xylo (with its looks and finish; agree that the coil spring is better) can succeed then surely the Sumo Grande can!
Old 15th December 2009, 13:18   #88
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4x4addict View Post
If they are targetting families like the Xylo is, then they need to give it coil springs at back and make you want to put someone besides your mother-in-law over the leaf springs. .
Does the Xylo have a great ride with its coil springs. From what I have gathered from the many reviews, it seems to have the bobbiness of the Grande too. Also should the ride problem be not solved by using Koni's FSD or some other suspension mods. Given the pricing on the Grande, there is certainly room for some mods.
But I do agree that an optional ABS should have been offered.
Old 15th December 2009, 13:19   #89
BHPian

You are bang on target Amit.
Me thinks they positioned the Grande all wrong first up and i'd take the liberty to say that a lot of us would gladly overlook the droopy looks if the Tata's price it one lakh less. Or provide ABS at the same price.
And comeon we have far uglier things on the road. Grande is not all that bad.
Just the rear is flawed. The Front i can live with.
Old 15th December 2009, 13:59   #90
Distinguished - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Mahindra also was smart enough not to call the Xylo the Bolero Grande !! although Bolero is the largest selling MUV in India. They realized that they need to create a slot between the Bolero and Scorpio.

Tata somehow things that their brands like Indica and Sumo have strong brand value. They are partially correct. It doesn't have strong brand value amongst the commercial operators for a single reason that they are cheap to buy and maintain.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks