Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 18th November 2009, 22:04   #16
Distinguished - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

I still feel the biggest flaw is the way it looks from the rear. Well let's see how this lipstick works on this one..
Old 19th November 2009, 11:00   #17
BHPian

akhilesh whenever you take test drive please do check the braking i find it very uncomfortable braking suddenly or even at normal speeds. I have driven old generation sumo, sumo spacio and my cousins Scorpio my view about braking based after comparing it with these three vehicles. Hope they have taken notice of this to while making some cosmetic changes.
Old 19th November 2009, 15:56   #18
BHPian

Just back from testdrive and with pics of the car (Wait ! Not so Impatient!), so we will start with my initial impressions of the car as a drive:

Performance

This car is a competent highway tourer and TATA plan to place it in the image above Sumo but under Safari. But, that doesn't mean the car can't be quick and this car proves it. I found the engine to be very efficient for highway runs reaching cruising speeds quite quickly. At 100-120 the car feels stable, there is a bit of wind noise but otherwise the engine at this speed is quiet for the size of the vehicle. It could easily outrun any of the MUV's (Tavera, Rhino, et al). Steering feels light and almost car like which is always welcome to accommodate fairer sex.

Braking

Lot many of the comments were regarding this aspect so I thought of dedicating a separate column here. In one sentence, Braking has improved drastically from its predecessor and that change is probably on public demand because TATA seems to have done very little tweaking with the dynamics and engine tuning of the car. Even the leaf springs at rear wheel have continued to find place in MKII. The car is stable at high speed braking and car accommodates for sudden drop of speed with 'smoother' downshift of gears. High speed braking has some oversteer (of sorts!) but is acceptable. What i did miss is the downright punch in braking. The sort of thing that car would punish you if floor too hard. It just doesn't and no matter how hard to press the pedal, the car seems dwindle to stop. This may be of little concern for drivers on highways with experience on other cars.

Under the bonnet

There has been a bit of change in the placement of components under the bonnet but no major change in engine dynamics. It is still powered by 2.2L DiCOR which did service in Safari sometime back and is available in its predecessor. The Diesel pump and filters have been placed on top this time around for ease of service. Most of other components, including the intercooler someone queried about, continue to hold their old positions.

Final Impressions

This is in true sense a sensible makeover for the car which should (in all honesty!) have been part of the first make itself. Their is minimal change in performance and engine dynamics but improvements in quality os plastics is evident and is probably the only talking point of this release. Yes, there have been other changes but consumers might not immediately recognise with them.

So, while I will commend TATA engineers for getting right on to the job and address major issues in the car but I still feel that since a new version was being released, they should have provided something more which brings me to question, What does SUMO GRANDE mean to TATA ?

The answer, as I see it, is that TATA want to position this car in the gap between aging SUMO and SAFARI. This is a car that they want to be a highway tourer, a people carrier to middle class Indian. It has all the features that one could ask from a 7 Lac MUV (and believe 7 LAC for MUV is not a lot!), but they do not want this vehicle to infringe upon Safari territory. So, No ABS, No Airbags, None of the lifestyle features soon becoming necessity for Indian Consumer. And that brings me to opinion, that maybe SUMO GRANDE is not targeting this audience and TATA has different plans for these consumers (Indicruz, Anyone! ).

Pictures

TATA Sumo Grande MKII - exclusively for T-BHP EDIT : Mumbai launch pics on page 5-p2201692.jpg
Chrome Accents on Front Grill

Name:  P2201693.JPG
Views: 9596
Size:  140.6 KB
Chrome Wraparound on sides

TATA Sumo Grande MKII - exclusively for T-BHP EDIT : Mumbai launch pics on page 5-p2201695.jpg
Indicators on ORVM

TATA Sumo Grande MKII - exclusively for T-BHP EDIT : Mumbai launch pics on page 5-p2201694.jpg
Safari Style Wheel Caps and Rim

TATA Sumo Grande MKII - exclusively for T-BHP EDIT : Mumbai launch pics on page 5-p2201696.jpg
Not much change in rear. There is an addition of Rear wiper, though.

TATA Sumo Grande MKII - exclusively for T-BHP EDIT : Mumbai launch pics on page 5-p2201698.jpg
Black door panels

TATA Sumo Grande MKII - exclusively for T-BHP EDIT : Mumbai launch pics on page 5-p2201708.jpg
MKII, so tht you don't forget

TATA Sumo Grande MKII - exclusively for T-BHP EDIT : Mumbai launch pics on page 5-p2201709.jpg
logo on top of side indicators like Safari

TATA Sumo Grande MKII - exclusively for T-BHP EDIT : Mumbai launch pics on page 5-p2201702.jpg

TATA Sumo Grande MKII - exclusively for T-BHP EDIT : Mumbai launch pics on page 5-p2201706.jpg
Soft fabric on doors. Changed latches. Wooden finish.

TATA Sumo Grande MKII - exclusively for T-BHP EDIT : Mumbai launch pics on page 5-p2201701.jpg
AC vents on all three rows with dedicated switch.

TATA Sumo Grande MKII - exclusively for T-BHP EDIT : Mumbai launch pics on page 5-p2201711.jpg
Vista-esque steering wheel in Black (I actually would like the same in vista)

TATA Sumo Grande MKII - exclusively for T-BHP EDIT : Mumbai launch pics on page 5-p2201703.jpg
Wooden finish on central console now improved. So are the switches.

TATA Sumo Grande MKII - exclusively for T-BHP EDIT : Mumbai launch pics on page 5-p2201704.jpg
Black floor console looks so much better.

TATA Sumo Grande MKII - exclusively for T-BHP EDIT : Mumbai launch pics on page 5-p2201705.jpg
Ipod connectivity. always welcome for any car in any segment.

@ Mods: Can we please merge the two threads on the forum for ease of viewing? Secondly, is it okay to have so many pics on single post ?

Last edited by akhilesh51 : 19th November 2009 at 15:59.
Old 19th November 2009, 16:03   #19
Senior - BHPian

Crisp review Akhilesh, thanks!

I can't figure out why ABS & Airbags are not being provided on the top end model - I don't see why it would tread on Safari territory. I would think they should look at taking sales away from the Tavera (maybe even the Xylo) & not the Safari.
Old 19th November 2009, 16:08   #20
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by suman View Post
Crisp review Akhilesh, thanks!

I can't figure out why ABS & Airbags are not being provided on the top end model - I don't see why it would tread on Safari territory. I would think they should look at taking sales away from the Tavera (maybe even the Xylo) & not the Safari.
Here s a hint: Maybe, A new car from TATA impending a near future launch is suspected to have ABS/Airbags as standard.

Don't Worry TATA makes cars for Indian people and they have planned something here too.
Old 19th November 2009, 16:17   #21
Senior - BHPian

Yes, but look at it this way - by not offering this (at least ABS if not the Airbags) on the Sumo, they may turn away a potential buyer who otherwise likes what the Grande has to offer but has "Safety" high on his list.

Same buyer may also not like the looks of the "near future launch", what then??
Old 19th November 2009, 16:19   #22
BHPian

Thanks for the review Akhilesh. My money (not the majority's as sales indicate) will be on a Sumo Grande over a Xylo.
Old 19th November 2009, 16:20   #23
Senior - BHPian

Few questions I always had on my mind

• What was wrong with the original GRANDE? Why did it not sell?
  • Could'nt TATA have done what TOYOTA did? Kill the SUMO and replace it with the GRANDE?
  • There is a low end model of the GRANDE. The one with the unpained bumpers. Have seen a few in BPO garb. What is the strategy for TATA there? That's like old SUMO territory
As per my opinion, the vehicle is good, but I wouldn't buy one simply because it did not sell well. Its pretty high, and is actually taller than the SAFARI. It also comes across as narrow, like the XYLO though it really isn't
Old 19th November 2009, 16:21   #24
Senior - BHPian

Fantastic thing you have done akhilesh. you have quenched the thrist by doing the TD and giving the pics
Old 19th November 2009, 17:39   #25
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by akhilesh51 View Post
Here s a hint: Maybe, A new car from TATA impending a near future launch is suspected to have ABS/Airbags as standard.

Don't Worry TATA makes cars for Indian people and they have planned something here too.
Well I hope they have a better one for evolved buyers.

Akhilesh, which variant you TDed? GX had a read wiper in previous Grande .

I am happy to see developments such as improved plastics and execution of it. Vista Steering wheel is better economy for tata and better Ergonomy for us.

I am un happy as not even ABS is offered that too even as option. While its main competitor Xylo offers ABS, Airbags. Tata only exhibiting remnant genes of Hindustan motors here

ORVM integrated blinkers, side chromed rub rail, Black safari style foot step and safari wheels are better and enhances exterior looks.

Three AAAs ABS, Airbags, A/T will complete this product and defnitely start appealing to personal buyers.

Last edited by harimakesh : 19th November 2009 at 17:43.
Old 19th November 2009, 18:02   #26
BHPian

Thanks for the review akhilesh.

TATA should have given at least ABS in top end and Airbags as optional .I would clearly see the quality differences in the pics.

how was the body roll,pervious SUMO there was lot of body roll above 80 when you turn your steering fast not so fast

I feel the dashboard looks boring should have done more one dash
Old 19th November 2009, 20:44   #27
BHPian

I would like to think that TATA has missed another chance to position Sumo Grande right in-between Bolero and Scorpio. Say like LX is better than top level bolero and GX is better than entry level scorpio.

If they had proper trim levels with all the safety features as options, this could have been possible. But not this time, sigh..

Can someone tell me if providing ABS in any way linked to suspension or chasis? Is it a bigger investment to refine them? If it is just an add-on, then i don't understand what the problem is.
Old 19th November 2009, 21:06   #28
Senior - BHPian

akhilesh; the review was good as it contained info most people wouldnt even think of to check. Kudos to that.

Seems it comes in a new color and looks like the plastics look better than the one I had seen on MK1. What about the drivablity? Is the drive smooth, ie, linear with very less turbo lag? Does it come with Captain seat option for rear bench?

Grande's competition is the Xylo which IMHO is a better buy.
Old 19th November 2009, 21:47   #29
BHPian

[quote=harimakesh;1591364
Akhilesh, which variant you TDed? GX had a read wiper in previous Grande .

I am happy to see developments such as improved plastics and execution of it. Vista Steering wheel is better economy for tata and better Ergonomy for us.
[/QUOTE]

I did test drive GX and may have missed the fact that earlier GX too had rear wipes. Sorry.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sudan_NFS View Post
Thanks for the review akhilesh.
how was the body roll,pervious SUMO there was lot of body roll above 80 when you turn your steering fast not so fast
Body roll is there as is with any tall car but it is much more contained than earlier version.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkdas View Post
akhilesh; the review was good as it contained info most people wouldnt even think of to check. Kudos to that.

Seems it comes in a new color and looks like the plastics look better than the one I had seen on MK1. What about the drivablity? Is the drive smooth, ie, linear with very less turbo lag? Does it come with Captain seat option for rear bench?

Grande's competition is the Xylo which IMHO is a better buy.
Drivability is good and turbo lag is minimum when compared to Xylo but noticeable when compared to Safari.

No Captain seat option for rear bench.
Old 19th November 2009, 22:01   #30
BHPian

Congratulations mate. Weirdly nice color.
Enjoy the beast. Its really refreshing to see a new GRANDE instead of a SAFARI or a SCORPIO.

Looks really nice..!!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks