Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 8th December 2009, 10:16   #16
Senior - BHPian

Sorry to see that your ORVMs have been stolen.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devil on Wheels View Post
I went so numb, as if the purpose of my existence was taken away. It took me about 25 minutes and 3 cigarettes before I could gather enough strength to drive my now deformed monster home.
So you lived only for those 2 mirrors ?
Old 8th December 2009, 10:41   #17
Distinguished - BHPian

First of all you are at fault for the front end bang up. It is very easy to say that the guy in front braked suddenly but if you could not stop then you were too close for the given speed. Expensive lesson for you but other can take heed.

If you had stopped and then the rear end bang caused your vehicle to crash the front as well then you were driving safely and it was matter of bad luck to have a bad driver behind you.

ORVM's/Emblems/.... are things that are constantly getting ripped off all over. Just pray and claim insurance. Some hassles involved but gets your "love" back in shape.
Old 8th December 2009, 10:45   #18
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by esteem_lover View Post
So you lived only for those 2 mirrors ?
Ha ha ha. Not literally, but that' what I felt at that exact moment.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shishir_bn View Post
The price of OVRM will be around 2000-3000/-.
I think it will be slightly more expensive. As the Gx now comes with ORVMs which have inbuilt blinkers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaggoswami View Post
The only way is from manufacturers to induce such designs in OVRM that are atleast a bit difficult to take off.

This thread title leads anyone to believe that you are having a defective car.

I request mods to change thread title as IMHO, the current is a bit misleading and it leads one to think that the owner is having problem with Safari as a part of manufacturing defect or case of lemon.
Is it possible to build in some sort of connecter between the ORVM and the base to which it is attached, in such a manner that they connect to each other when the ORVM is closed. And if some one tries to just open the ORVM, the power connection gets broken and sets off the alarm. Just bouncing ideas. Not sure if its practically possible.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ph03n!x View Post
Oh Man!!! What can I say? Dont know what remote locking system your monster has- have something with vibrations sensor.
My Safari has the basic factory fitted security system. Thanks to the security system atleast the car is safe.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bj96 View Post
Don't park in unattended places. Take an auto/taxi if you must have to go somewhere which does not have a proper parking. A 500/- bill is better than 3000/- dent on the wallet and mental agony.
Exactly, at home the car is parked within my societies compound which allows me to sleep peacefully. At office I always park it inside the office building. Even yesterday, I had parked it right infront of my in-laws house which is a well lit street, there was a security guard doing the rounds. Still there was nothing anyone could have done.

I am just looking out for various security systems available in India. If any one can point me the right direction, it would be really great.

DEPARTMENT OF POLICE, Delhi, India

So far been able to find just this. Doesn't tell me anything, which I didn't knew already.

And yes if the topic is being misunderstood by so many users, we might be better off changing it. Over to Mods.
Old 8th December 2009, 10:52   #19
Senior - BHPian

sad to hear the loss of ORVM, Safari ORVM costs quite a lot, however someone stole one ORVM of my Santro, which costs less than 600 bucks. The car was parked outside my house. Wonder how good it will be for the stealer !!

I was told by the ASC that it was removed by breaking and it will do no good to the stealer, wonder why did he steal then ?
Old 8th December 2009, 11:00   #20
BANNED

You are lucky that you lost only the ovrms, and not the vehicle. Is it by any chance possible that the thief was looking to take away the vehicle and when failed, took away the ovrms? Get a proper gear lock, and a remote central locking with alarm. Impact / movement sensors can be considered, but they are more a nuisance and likely to give off false alarms.

I have doubts that the a security system will protect the ovrms.

And yes, please ask the mods to change / edit the title. I was bracing for a "haul Tatas ove hot coals" thread.
Old 8th December 2009, 11:01   #21
BHPian

dude, chill, things like these happen sometimes. I had parked my indica at my aunts place and had just about walked into her house, when i heard a louudd crash! casually walked out to see a whole lot of coconuts had fallen on the roof of my indica! the roof and windshield were smashed, inner fabric was torn, part of bonnet was damaged. hell .. couldnt have been worse, but i was only glad that no one was inside the car!
so, relax man .. such things do happen and let it not really get to you, cos when u think back about this a few yrs or months down the line, it'll all seem so minor
Old 8th December 2009, 11:17   #22
Distinguished - BHPian

@DoW: You're heartbroken because you lost an ORVM? and because a lot of drivers in Delhi think tailgating at 80km/h is their birthright, especially when the speed limit is 50 km/h? There are a lot of people on this forum who share your sorrows about losing ORVMs, including me! Check here and here (http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/street...rs-beware.html).
Old 8th December 2009, 12:10   #23
ACM
Distinguished - BHPian

The thread topic needs a change, I first thought you were unhappy with TATA or the Dealer, but it seems you have had a lot of bad luck.

The security systems that you would like to own does not exist, except us ourselves taking care and not parking in certain places or parking in direct view of the guard etc.
Old 8th December 2009, 12:13   #24
Senior - BHPian

This is really sad. I suppose you have just had a spade of unlucky incidents. Do not worry. It will all be all right !

I remember at my marriage we had booked 2-3 small hotels near Karol bagh and Rajinder Nagar. And the day before my wedding we were having a party at one of the hotels. Everyone slept over and cars were parked all over.

In the morning we realised A friend's Lancer and a Astra was broken into and the Electric OVRM'S, The entrire car's rubber beading including the Windshield beading and fog lights were stolen. This too in front of the hotels guard's. That area is notrious for car accesory thieves.

I am sure Insurance covers the theft.
Old 8th December 2009, 12:29   #25
Senior - BHPian

Sorry to hear about your series of misfortunes mate but my philosophy is - if it can be replaced, just do it & don't be heartbroken

And yes, as mentioned by the good Doc, please avoid tailgating & being tailgated at high speeds - a sure shot recipe for disaster on our roads.
Old 8th December 2009, 14:40   #26
Distinguished - BHPian

No security system can stop those ORVM thefts.

A Thief once took off the ORVM of my friend's Safari and ran away while my friend was driving the SUV, All this happened on traffic signal in old delhi. He has replaced end number of pairs of ORVMs of his Safari and finally he gave up.
Old 8th December 2009, 20:00   #27
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by .anshuman View Post
No security system can stop those ORVM thefts.

A Thief once took off the ORVM of my friend's Safari and ran away while my friend was driving the SUV, All this happened on traffic signal in old delhi. He has replaced end number of pairs of ORVMs of his Safari and finally he gave up.
how is that possible,you mean he just snapped off the orm and ran off?
or your friend just sat inside and watched as the thief took out a screwdriver and detached the orm?
Old 8th December 2009, 20:42   #28
rkg
Senior - BHPian

My Indica Vista's antenna was stolen from my office car parking lot with security
Old 8th December 2009, 20:50   #29
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by .anshuman View Post
... Thief once took off the ORVM of my friend's Safari and ran away while my friend was driving...
Quote:
Originally Posted by dockap View Post
...you mean he just snapped off the orm and ran off?
or your friend just sat inside and watched...
Looks like they were rehearsing for a marathon relay (too ubiquitous in cities these days) and lacked enough batons. Hence, snatched ORVMs and ran Sorry, couldn't resist.
-BJ

Last edited by bj96 : 8th December 2009 at 20:52. Reason: removed duplicate smiley
Old 8th December 2009, 21:34   #30
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dockap View Post
how is that possible,you mean he just snapped off the orm and ran off?
or your friend just sat inside and watched as the thief took out a screwdriver and detached the orm?

These days you can't help it, watching lots of Bollywood movies makes these theif's more confident in these kinda jobs.

Hindi films should stop giving ideas to theifs

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks