Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 20th December 2009, 01:32   #1
BHPian

Basanti Redux (SX4 ZXi) comes home!

So finally chose the SX4 over the ANHC!

Won't waste much time on the decision, or the story behind the name (My trusted warhorse - the Corsa is called Basanti, but 7 years have made it go a bit long in the tooth... and don't ask me why Basanti- and not Dhanno, that'll probably go beyond the char limit on a post)

Took the delivery yesterday, but had other work to take care of too.
So really couldn't drive her around as much as I would have liked to but did drive down to Lavasa for dinner and back..

Here are some pics, the last one was taken in near total darkness so it may seem a lil hazy..

Loving the:

- Handling and grip - Perhaps the 16" and 205s deserve the credit for this, but I didn't feel any fishtailing/rolling tendencies at reasonable high speeds on the lavasa road today

- The ability to handle bad roads with aplomb.. A particular stretch on that road is full of gigantic speed breakers

- The gearshift. It was a bit hard to begin with yesterday but by today, all 5 forwards slot perfectly without fuss (In the words of my tam colleague who drove the car today and is getting one for himself next week - "Maggan smooth" (maggan = makkhan = butter), although the reverse is still a bit tight

- The incredible range on the fourth gear... The fourth is the new third on this car..seriously!

Meh about the:
- Audio system and the blah speakers

- The lack of cubbyholes

- The somewhat hard suspension - coming from the Corsa, which probably had the best suspension ever on a car south of 15L, the ride on this seems a bit on the firm side
Attached Thumbnails
Basanti Redux (SX4 ZXi) comes home!-dsc00614.jpg  

Basanti Redux (SX4 ZXi) comes home!-dsc00616.jpg  

Basanti Redux (SX4 ZXi) comes home!-dsc00615.jpg  

Basanti Redux (SX4 ZXi) comes home!-dsc00620.jpg  

Basanti Redux (SX4 ZXi) comes home!-dsc00746.jpg  

Old 20th December 2009, 08:13   #2
BHPian

Congratulations on the new SX4 Abhi, your Basanti looks so good. I am enjoying my SX4 that I got last Monday. Its so much fun to drive.

Do get the tyre pressure checked. I was feeling a little uncomfortable with the ride, and when I got the tyre pressure checked, found that the front tyres had 42 and 47, while one rear had 17 and the other 10 when the dealer delivered it.

I think 3 new SX4s have been bought this week on Team-BHP. I am happy for the SX4 club expansion, and for Maruti just as much. I want this new VVT version, that is so much better than the previous one, to really succeed.

Have a blast!
Old 20th December 2009, 08:39   #3
BHPian

Congratulations Abhi. Nice purchase. SX4 looks fantastic in that color. Can you post the on-road price and some interior pics please?

Enjoy, Drive Safe.

Last edited by mnhegde : 20th December 2009 at 08:42.
Old 20th December 2009, 09:03   #4
BHPian

Yeee Hawww!!

congrats there buddy for the spanking new beauty (or the beast)!

dont worry about the suspension. it will get better with time. as i suggested to viv prasad, keep you rev limited to 1.5 to 2 k rpms to get superb mileage (comparable to ANHC), and get a reverse sensor/camera.

my rde has only got better with time (now a year and 15000 kms) and i fall in love with it more and more. Do post some good pics of the interiors.

by the way i dont see the body skirtings??

Enjoy and drive safe (i didnt say not fast when you are on good wide and empty tar)

Last edited by SX4LOVER : 20th December 2009 at 09:05. Reason: wrong post
Old 20th December 2009, 09:16   #5
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhi182 View Post
So finally chose the SX4 over the ANHC!

- The incredible range on the fourth gear... The fourth is the new third on this car..seriously!
Congrats! Agree about the 4th gear, the same holds true of the 5th as well! Only have a problem with 3rd, seems a bit too tall but probably something to get adjusted to..

What accessories? Particularly interested in good quality PU car seats, any pointers to those who do a good job re this?
Old 20th December 2009, 09:38   #6
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrwalker View Post
What accessories? Particularly interested in good quality PU car seats, any pointers to those who do a good job re this?
I have opted for Dolphin seat covers. Price not definite but around 8K for SX4 covers.
Old 20th December 2009, 11:10   #7
BHPian

congrats and welcome to the Man's world Abhi. The pictures are nice and I love this colour. Enjoy your new mate
Old 20th December 2009, 11:18   #8
BHPian

Quote:
by the way i dont see the body skirtings??
One of the key reasons I chose it over the ANHC was the GC mate!

Quote:
- Mats done (from outside, MGA accessories are obscenely overpriced (or maybe the delaers overprice em, my Sales advisor himself suggested that I get all accessories from outside after he managed to get the 5 K accessory bit converted to an extra 5k cash disc)

- Need to get a sunfilm now, will do that today

- I will be putting seat covers only after the original upholstery starts showing signs of getting soiled
(reason being once you put a seat cover, you will never ever be using the original upholstery ever, so the whole idea of putting seat covers to protect something you will never ever use sounds a bit illogical to me...but that's just me)

- need to get an amp and replace the rear speakers but that can wait for now, I'll do it on a relatively free weekend

- GPS unit done
Old 20th December 2009, 12:00   #9
Senior - BHPian

abhi congratulations on your sx4.Looks good in this shade which many have started liking and a good choice over black as well.More of interiors pictures, do share.Enjoy your ride.What was on road price you paid.
Old 20th December 2009, 12:27   #10
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhi182 View Post
One of the key reasons I chose it over the ANHC was the GC mate!

- Mats done (from outside, MGA accessories are obscenely overpriced (or maybe the delaers overprice em, my Sales advisor himself suggested that I get all accessories from outside after he managed to get the 5 K accessory bit converted to an extra 5k cash disc)

- Need to get a sunfilm now, will do that today

- I will be putting seat covers only after the original upholstery starts showing signs of getting soiled
(reason being once you put a seat cover, you will never ever be using the original upholstery ever, so the whole idea of putting seat covers to protect something you will never ever use sounds a bit illogical to me...but that's just me)

- need to get an amp and replace the rear speakers but that can wait for now, I'll do it on a relatively free weekend

- GPS unit done
well, to be honest putting seat covers will save the actual seat cover form being torn or damaged, something that will cost you more to get repaired. but then again, its your call.

by the way, which GPS unit did you get? cant wait to see the pics of interiors and other stuff!!!! plz hurry
Old 20th December 2009, 13:42   #11
BHPian

Quote:
well, to be honest putting seat covers will save the actual seat cover form being torn or damaged,

thing is the moment I put a seat cover, the original upholstery will never ever be used for the entire life of the car

With all the cars I have bought (each one had the purchase decision influenced by teambhp), have always tried to delay the seat cover business for as long as possible
Got seat covers on the corsa after 3 years (never saw the original ever after as expected)
The swift needs to get covers now (2 years)
The i10 AT however got covers on day 1 (coz I got it for papa, and he is the kind of soft souled person who'll retain even the seat cover plastics if I wouldn't have gleefully torn em off

The GPS unit is a Mio make picked in the US with mapmy India and destinator maps
Still need to get suction caps for that though
Old 20th December 2009, 19:49   #12
BHPian

Nice pics abhi.
Azure Grey looks great on SX4.

Any idea whether the SUNLIGHT COPPER color has been discontinued on the SX4 ???
Old 20th December 2009, 19:56   #13
BHPian

Abhi,

Congrats on the buy! Colour is nice.

Keep posting on your findings. You seem to be discovering something from your first day.

All the very best !
Old 20th December 2009, 20:45   #14
Senior - BHPian

Congrats on the car, and nice pics.

How is the low rpm torque on the vvt SX4 ? On the older engine there were some complaints on the lack of low end grunt.
Old 20th December 2009, 20:54   #15
Senior - BHPian

Congrats abhi on the m(e)an machine! Love the new mesh grill, kinda gives the premium/rally looks! I know you will be keeping the RPM down during the run-in period, but if you happen to revv, do tell us how is the engine noise/NVH above 3K RPM.. the old SX4 used to produce lot of noise in higher RPM and very lazy in throttle response..

Also, I think before spending on any other accessory, you should change the stock JK tyres to something better.. anyway, enjoy the days ahead!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks