Team-BHP - Review: 1st-gen Ford Figo (2010)
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-drives-initial-ownership-reports/)
-   -   Review: 1st-gen Ford Figo (2010) (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-drives-initial-ownership-reports/74219-review-1st-gen-ford-figo-2010-a-513.html)

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sheel (Post 3038581)
A car will give its best fuel economy if its is provided with clean fuel. Doesn't really matter if its from HP, BP or IOC. I have been loyally sticking with an IOC outlet for the past couple of months & the result is satisfying.

Agree that its mainly to do with quality of the fuel. Maybe HP in general has better quality over others because i have seen this observation being validated by multiple members earlier on this thread. In Bangalore I have tried 2 different HP bunks and 3 different IOC bunks, consistently got better avg with HP.

With a trip to Parambikulam planned for this weekend, I was checking the fluid levels of my TDCi this morning and to my surprise, found that the coolant is almost at the minimum level. The last time I checked was about a month ago, when its level was appreciable. Manual says that it should be topped up immediately, if at the min level.

1) Can I get this coolant myself and do the top-up? Or should it be done only at the ASC?
2) Is this drop normal or should I be worried? Should I be requesting the ASC to check for any leaks?

My Figo has done about 7700 kms on the ODO.

Quote:

Originally Posted by sara.ramli (Post 3040311)

1) Can I get this coolant myself and do the top-up? Or should it be done only at the ASC?
2) Is this drop normal or should I be worried? Should I be requesting the ASC to check for any leaks?

My Figo has done about 7700 kms on the ODO.

You may do the top up yourself, but for that you have to go to a Ford ASC to buy the equivalent coolant. Ford's coolant costs approx ~Rs. 375.

OR

You may completely empty the coolant reservoir & fill it again with the same ratings from any other manufacturer.

See what suits you best.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sheel (Post 3040379)
You may do the top up yourself, but for that you have to go to a Ford ASC to buy the equivalent coolant. Ford's coolant costs approx ~Rs. 375.

OR

You may completely empty the coolant reservoir & fill it again with the same ratings from any other manufacturer.

See what suits you best.

@sara.ramli. your car is still under warranty, please go to the Authorized service station, or atleast ask them (on email) if you can change the coolant outside the service center.

Ford is very finicky and may void your warranty.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sheel (Post 3040379)

Quote:

Originally Posted by neofromcapone (Post 3040397)
@sara.ramli. your car is still under warranty, please go to the Authorized service station, or atleast ask them (on email) if you can change the coolant outside the service center.

Thanks. I am visiting MPL Ford SC tomorrow, to get this inspected and topped-up.

The manual mentions that consumption of engine oil is normal under certain driving conditions but makes no such mention for the coolant oil. Any thoughts on this?

Quote:

Originally Posted by sara.ramli (Post 3040455)
Thanks. I am visiting MPL Ford SC tomorrow, to get this inspected and topped-up.

The manual mentions that consumption of engine oil is normal under certain driving conditions but makes no such mention for the coolant oil. Any thoughts on this?

Here's the update.

I turned up at MPL, Pallikaranai @ 10 as agreed. The Service Engineer refuses to just do a topup, stating that this is not normal and they have to check for leaks. And that I'll have to come back tomorrow for the same, as they are all booked for the day.

They suggest that I visit their Saligramam service center, if it is urgent. The front office manager from Saligramam warns me against driving down the car to their center given the situation and advises that I take RSA's help to get it towed down.

I call up RSA and the tow request is turned down by them - reason - they are authorized to tow a broken-down car only to the nearest service center. Since I am already at the service center (Pallikaranai), they gently refused to help me out.

I explain the helplessness of the situation again to the Pallikaranai SC and they agree to do a quick inspection and topup of the coolant. The inspection was visual and brief, without even putting the car on a ramp. With no signs of leaks observed, they decide to top it up - with distilled water. I object to it, stating that the manual suggests otherwise. SA says it is not harmful. And I am asked to observe the situation and bring the car back, if the condition recurs.

I still am not very convinced, as there's no explanation for the drop and also because the inspection was quick and not thorough.

The impending long drive over the weekend is still at the back of my mind, I speak and convince the SA to give me a can of coolant, so in case there's a leak/drop during the drive, I can save the situation by topping it up myself. It appears that the smallest can available is a 5L one. Bought it for 1328/-

With some relief, I call up the Saligramam Front Office Manager to fix up an appointment, in the afternoon to do a thorough inspection for any coolant leakage. The inspection took about 60 minutes in total. Visual inspection of the engine bay from the top and from under was done. No leaks were found. A pressure gauge was also attached to the mouth of the coolant reservoir to check leakage. Nothing abnormal was the conclusion. A big relief :D

Other fluid levels were also checked and the engine oil topped up as well. So I seem to be all set for now.

Folks, an observation - when the car is in idling, any usage of electricals like using power window, using the dipper, etc plays with the rpm (it goes up !.. comes down..! and forth again) which is very evident by the rpm meter in the dash and the engine sound... is this normal..?
For the record- my Figo's March 2011, Titanium D, done 36000 + kms so far..

^^Its absolutely normal don't worry. The ECU just compensates the extra load put up by these electricals via alternator by pumping up few revs, same things happens when a/c is switched on. In my non ECU Maruti 800, one can actually observe the reverse in the above mentioned situation i.e dip in RPM because there is no ECU watching things. I hope that helps.

Guys, I'am planning to upgrade my Figo's front OEM speakers with Infinity Reference components. Going to add spacers since the OEM size is bit odd. I knew that there are certain models which matches the OEM size (For ex. Infinity Reference 6830. Got this info in SuperTinu's ICE thread, Thank you SuperTinu) but im not able to find it.
I guess going for spacer will not have any issues.

I'am having a Sony 4 channel amp lying at home idle as i removed it from my previous car. I'am planning to add it too to drive the comps. Before that i need some suggestion.

Do i really need Amp? according to the accessory shop guy, it IS needed to get the optimum output from components.

If i add Amp, Can i also add Sub woofer (I have one, again lying idle at home)? but i knew the OEM system doesnt have sub woofer control and Im not planning for any HiLo converter. Is it ok to straight away connect Sub with Amp.

Suggestions please..

Quote:

Originally Posted by EFF-EIGHT-BEE (Post 3041691)
^^Its absolutely normal don't worry. The ECU just compensates the extra load put up by these electricals via alternator by pumping up few revs, same things happens when a/c is switched on. In my non ECU Maruti 800, one can actually observe the reverse in the above mentioned situation i.e dip in RPM because there is no ECU watching things. I hope that helps.

Thanks Mate ! :thumbs up

Quote:

Originally Posted by DRIVE_ADDICT (Post 3042066)

If i add Amp, Can i also add Sub woofer (I have one, again lying idle at home)? but i knew the OEM system doesnt have sub woofer control and Im not planning for any HiLo converter. Is it ok to straight away connect Sub with Amp.

Suggestions please..

The OEM system doesn't have pre-outs, so without adding Hi-lo converter how will you connect the amp? I would suggest simply change the speakers first. If you are satisfied with the output, there is no need to take more complicated way of adding an amp.

If you wish to add amp you will either need a Hi-lo converter or a different HU altogether.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Blow Horn Ok (Post 3042417)
The OEM system doesn't have pre-outs, so without adding Hi-lo converter how will you connect the amp? I would suggest simply change the speakers first. If you are satisfied with the output, there is no need to take more complicated way of adding an amp.

If you wish to add amp you will either need a Hi-lo converter or a different HU altogether.

The accessory shop guy tells me that if the Amp had "high level input" we can connect the OEM speaker output to it. Please see the image below which shows the high level input. according to him most of the Sony amps comes with this option.

So if this is the case and your amp has this kind of option, you can give it a try! Do post the details of the project and change in output quality.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Blow Horn Ok (Post 3043162)
So if this is the case and your amp has this kind of option, you can give it a try! Do post the details of the project and change in output quality.

Sure. I will post my updates, I will probably do this by early next week. I can see that its possible after i do a search.

This thread contains list of amp which contains high level input

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/produc...el-inputs.html

Folks

I discovered that the Figo my son drives has a mud flap missing at the rear left. Looks like he scraped something that must have led to that.

So my question is if I can get a single mudflap? If not, how much does a set cost?