Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 22nd April 2010, 16:22   #46
BHPian

Hi Arul, Fantastic to know that the car is performing well. Actually i am planning to buy a suv as well really confused between the Grande GX and the Safari LX (entry model).

I have a few questions:
1) Could you please let me know apart from the last row seating what made you go for the grande and come over the dilemma?
2) How satisfied you are with the cars dynamics and breaking.
3) Is it possible (do we have an option for) upgrade to the safaris alloys as a replacement of the original steel wheels?
4) Have you considered the side cladding body kit? (The All New Mark II - Accessories) if yes do u know the cost ?
5) How good is the Alpine system in your car?
6) is the placement of the clutch towards the extreme left side really and issue to be looked into?

I have TDied the MKII and am very impressed with the internal comfort except for the hopeless passenger side storage box cover (i feel it is one thing that the tatas thought we should retain the original sumo legacy here, just for the feel)

People compare it with the xylo and say that the xylo out scores the grande on many fronts, but i think an suv should like a suv and not like a old lady in her late 40's trying fancy makeup trying to look younger. This is the main issue which is pulling me back from the xylo. After the launch of the MKII i am really impressed and do not want to give a second thought before going for either of the Grande Gx or the Safari LV(less possibility)

I need your valuable inputs and thoughts, would be waiting for your response

- Shashi
Old 24th April 2010, 22:04   #47
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shashidl View Post

I have a few questions:
1) Could you please let me know apart from the last row seating what made you go for the grande and come over the dilemma?
2) How satisfied you are with the cars dynamics and breaking.
3) Is it possible (do we have an option for) upgrade to the safaris alloys as a replacement of the original steel wheels?
4) Have you considered the side cladding body kit? (The All New Mark II - Accessories) if yes do u know the cost ?
5) How good is the Alpine system in your car?
6) is the placement of the clutch towards the extreme left side really and issue to be looked into?
Hi Shashi,
Sorry for the delayed response. My responses to your queries are given below and I hope I have answered them. Please let me know if you need any other feedback.
1) The turning radius/maneuverability was the second major factor and the smaller external dimensions was the third factor that swayed my decision in Grande's favour. The decision was ratified when my friend who owns a safari 4 X 4 drove the my car from Avianashi to Ooty and down to Mansinagudi and he was happy with the car's performance.
2)For my style of driving I find the dynamics are within acceptable limits. Braking is good and the feel is much better than the first version of Grande
3) I am not sure, but the wheel size is the same as Safari and therefore it should be an issue. I do not plan to replace it with alloys since look wise the steel wheels are ok. In a fact quite a few guys asked if they are alloys
4)I did.. But the cost of about 14 to 15k is a little beyond by budget now
5)Alpine system is adequate for a normal radio listening. I would prefer more bass response from the speakers . May be some day I will add a sub woofer. Another draw back is that only an IPod can be connected. When I enquired at Alpine,about a cable with a 3.5mm connector I was quoted a price of more than 2300 rupees. That is a too high a price for a connecting cable. I searched the net for an adaptor that would take the IPod connector at one end and USB female port the other side, I could not find one. Also there is no aux socket or usb port
6) I did not find the placement of the clutch a problem at all till date. A few of my friends who drove also did not find it an issue. Their heights varied from 5'3" to 6'
Old 27th April 2010, 11:18   #48
BHPian

Arul,

Thank you for so much all the info, that really helped.

last saturday i took my fimaliy to the tata showroom here in pimpri, they were also very impressed by the interiors. really loved the ride.

one question i would like to ask you is why did u paint the strip on the tailgate end black? did u just want to break away from the colour and add some contrast?

also i think since the alpine system comes in with and auxilary input, you can add a copper cable (dont know the specifications though) to your head unit. one of my friends did this froma good ICE store here in pune and it costed him a meare 500 Rs. Let me know if u need the contact number of the store.

-Shashi
Old 28th April 2010, 20:31   #49
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shashidl View Post
Arul,

Thank you for so much all the info, that really helped.

last saturday i took my fimaliy to the tata showroom here in pimpri, they were also very impressed by the interiors. really loved the ride.

one question i would like to ask you is why did u paint the strip on the tailgate end black? did u just want to break away from the colour and add some contrast?

also i think since the alpine system comes in with and auxilary input, you can add a copper cable (dont know the specifications though) to your head unit. one of my friends did this froma good ICE store here in pune and it costed him a meare 500 Rs. Let me know if u need the contact number of the store.

-Shashi
Hi Shashi,
Glad to of help. Yes you are right about the black strip in the rear. It is to break the monotony. I also blackened the B and C pillars. The Alpine in my car does not have the aux input in the front. The manual also does not mention it. I would love to have the phone # of the store in Pune. I can ask one of friends to get it for me.
Old 21st May 2010, 18:05   #50
BHPian

Hi Arulpeem, I just have one question, and it is related to the build quality of the Tata Grande MkII, and i hope other owners can also help me out on this one. I am looking at an MUV mostly for inter-state travel over very very bad roads. And from what I have seen and heard is that the interiors start rattle quite early on in Tata vehicles. I would love to hear your thoughts on this one. By interiors I mean the dash and the Plastics on the doors and things like that.

I am sure you have clocked a fair few kms on your Grande by now and how is the interiors holding up? and squeaks and rattles from the interior plastics? Also how are the roads around where you normally drive your Tata Grande MkII?
Old 24th May 2010, 10:29   #51

Hi,

I am from Bangalore. Through this forum I just want to share my own Grande MK II driving experience. I bought this vehicle in Feb'10 and took it for a long drive- from Bangalore to Ujjain & Bhedaghat via Hyderabad-Nagpur. Covered about 3700 kms, driving about 530 kms/day on an average.

The driving was very nice and smooth. Even at 120 kmph, the vehicle was stable and no issues with swinging or swaying. Couple of times I had to apply sudden brakes and the vehicle came to stop in about 80 mts without any screeches or throwing over.

I have uploaded few photos of my Grande mk2 in picasa and you are welcome to have a look at that:
Picasa Web Albums - Rajanikanth - Our tata sumo...

Bye

-Rajanikanth
Old 24th May 2010, 11:30   #52
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amrisharm View Post
Hi Arulpeem, I just have one question, and it is related to the build quality of the Tata Grande MkII, and i hope other owners can also help me out on this one. I am looking at an MUV mostly for inter-state travel over very very bad roads. And from what I have seen and heard is that the interiors start rattle quite early on in Tata vehicles. I would love to hear your thoughts on this one. By interiors I mean the dash and the Plastics on the doors and things like that.

I am sure you have clocked a fair few kms on your Grande by now and how is the interiors holding up? and squeaks and rattles from the interior plastics? Also how are the roads around where you normally drive your Tata Grande MkII?
Hi,
I have done about 9000 KM till date. Most of it has been in very good high ways, from Chennai to Salem via Krishangiri.. I have not had any squeaks or rattles from the dashboard or plastics till date..
Old 9th March 2011, 14:06   #53
BHPian

Re: Grande MK II Initial Ownership Experience

Hi Arul,

Hope the car is doing good, any updates coz it's been a long time.

I am also looking to get one but the costs have risen enormously over the year, EX on road Coimbatore costs r.s 8,62,000. Btw I checked on their web page and it says r.s 7,10,000 ex showroom, add 71,000 for RTO+25,000 for insurance (that's what the dealer says) and 4500 for handling and 7500 for Extended warranty still the price comes to only r.s 8,18,000, so I was wondering is the price not updated in their web page or dealer taking me for a ride?

I would like fellow members to comment on this.

Cheers.
Old 9th March 2011, 14:27   #54
Senior - BHPian

Re: Grande MK II Initial Ownership Experience

Quote:
Originally Posted by Makesh View Post
........ I checked on their web page and it says r.s 7,10,000 ex showroom, add 71,000 for RTO+25,000 for insurance (that's what the dealer says) and 4500 for handling and 7500 for Extended warranty still the price comes to only r.s 8,18,000, so I was wondering is the price not updated in their web page or dealer taking me for a ride?

I would like fellow members to comment on this.

Cheers.
There's a possibility that the web page may not be updated with the latest prices. Regardless, get your insurance done from outside, i.e., directly from a company. You will easily save at least 3-4k. When I bought my Scorpio, the dealer quote was 27k, and I finally got it for 20k [for the same IDV that the dealer's agent was giving] after bargaining with Bajaj Allianz. Threaten to take your booking elsewhere if the dealer doesn't waive the handling charge [which is nothing but an excuse to fleece you more]. If you don't buy any accessories from the dealers, the only payments you should make are for the ex-showroom price, road tax, vehicle registration charges, extended warranty [if opted for], insurance and octroi [if applicable in your city].

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks