Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 11th February 2010, 19:02   #16
BHPian

Thanks Phantom,

Doing a thorough check. I feel I should not find much rust as we did check on all angles. Will still look through your pointers.

Thanks Airwind. Still checking between new nuts and chroming the existing ones.

Will keep you all posted
Old 12th February 2010, 11:53   #17
BHPian

Guys I have got some cool headlamps with my 124. I also have the stock one. I am planning to keep the stock stuff at home safe and run with some jazz for now. I am attaching the pic of the imported headlamp. Can you suggest recommend some cool tail lamps to go with theses?
Attached Thumbnails
My 1996 E220 W124: A Restoration Project | Running Report-img_0282.jpg  

Old 12th February 2010, 12:39   #18
BHPian

why did you buy a W124 in such a condition when lot of better ones available at through away price? did you got it it for substantially low price? could you share the cost of it ?

IMHO keeping the original looks will give you the feeling of owning a classic.

why don't you start a separate thread on your restoration ?
Old 12th February 2010, 13:09   #19
BHPian

Hi Toms,

I paid about 2.5L The condition is not as bad as it looks. Its now being stripped for restoration. I plan to drive it for a while with my projector lamps, brabus style grill etc. I have the original grill headlamps etc. Maybe a few years later I will change it to its original set.

Any idea where I can get led tail lamps?? Anyone help? Is importing the only way out? Any idea what customs might charge me if I do import some? I found this cool ones on line. They have smoke version too. costs about 200 USD . How much will customs take out of me??
Attached Images

Last edited by Dippy : 15th March 2010 at 12:58. Reason: Back to back posts.
Old 12th February 2010, 13:55   #20
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Machdar View Post
Any idea where I can get led tail lamps?? Anyone help? Is importing the only way out? Any idea what customs might charge me if I do import some? I found this cool ones on line. They have smoke version too. costs about 200 USD . How much will customs take out of me??
Hi i think one workshop in who is doing all imports of the Mercedes parts here in Kerala. I will check with them and let u know in next couple of days
Old 12th February 2010, 14:43   #21
BHPian

Thanks Cosmopolitan,

Appreciate your help!
Old 12th February 2010, 14:45   #22
BHPian

PM me if you are unsuccesful in sourcing it . i can help you getting this part even smoked also. 3.5k was the price quoted when i checked a year ago.
Old 12th February 2010, 14:55   #23
BHPian

Thanks Tom,

3.5 for one side or set? Where will you source from and how long will it take?
Old 12th February 2010, 17:41   #24
BHPian

hey machdar!congrats on the 124!
can i ask where is this place where your car is getting restored?is the guy well wersed with mercedes benz?
i must say you have the heart to get your car stripped.the way the car is stripped i get nightmares as it might lead bigger problems.
Old 13th February 2010, 10:37   #25
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
as I am gonna keep this Car for life. Might as well fix it once and for all right.
Our kinda guy! Congrats Machdar. My approach to my Jeep ('97 Classic) is identical. Get her done up completely once and for all.

Suggestions: Right now, focus on the MECHANICALS. Don't waste your time on the aesthetics, as a 12 year old Merc has more important things that need attention. The wiring harness, air-con, suspension overhaul (for the Merc ride & handling experience), oil leaks and what not. $$$ is always limited. Prioritise. An average looking car that runs A+ is far more satisfying than an A+ looking car that runs only average.

Quote:
Guys I have got some cool headlamps with my 124.
No offence, but these headlamps would look totally out of place on a W124. Bling up a Civic or Corolla, not a classic Merc. A tasteful set of alloys is all that a W124 needs.
Old 13th February 2010, 10:53   #26
Senior - BHPian

Congratulations on getting the 124 and yes there is a bit of envy too. Do what you can to get her back into original shape and she will serve you for the time you want to to keep her that is for life

My advice is not to put those aftermarket headlights or tail lights. They just take away the beauty and originality of the 124 . Keep her as stock as possible with just a set of nice looking alloys. as GTO said. There are plenty of options available. I would also keep the star ornament instead of the sports grille.

Do update this thread with pictures and progress. I for one will be following this thread very closely.

Enjoy your car and drive safe.
Old 13th February 2010, 11:17   #27
BHPian

refurbishing of rear wind shield frame

Thank you Nandish, GTO & Dippy,

Well like GTO said might as well fix it once & for all than keep visiting the workshop!

The wiring harness was replaced by the previous owner recently so a big bomb of an expense has been saved. The mechanic who has been servicing this a friend of mine and thus I know the history quite well. Mechanically its prim and proper.

I am just getting all the rust out, fixing torn areas of the leather seats etc.

I hae the original lights, grill & star etc. I also got these projector lamps and brabus grill for temporary use.

I agree that classic old & original look suits this car best but I am keen to see how that old lady will look in new trendy jeans. I am not doing any mods to fit these aftermarket stuff. They are made for 124 so just plug and play and incase I need to revert to original then just 1/2 hours job and its back to classic glory.

Attaching latest pics of the new rusted pieces getting fabricated for the rear windshield
Attached Thumbnails
My 1996 E220 W124: A Restoration Project | Running Report-img_0288.jpg  

My 1996 E220 W124: A Restoration Project | Running Report-img_0290.jpg  

My 1996 E220 W124: A Restoration Project | Running Report-img_0289.jpg  

Last edited by Machdar : 13th February 2010 at 11:20. Reason: added more details on the attached pictures
Old 16th February 2010, 11:54   #28
BHPian

tail light assembly

Quote:
Thanks Tom,

3.5 for one side or set? Where will you source from and how long will it take?
sorry for the delay. got the confirmed pricing now. its imprted form thailad. costs Rs.6800/- for set of 2 + shiping and handiling charges (max Rs. 500/-). price is quoted ex kottayam. kerala. i will pm contact number of person if you require. I have seen it on my friend's car, and it looks very close to original other than it is brighter than origanal. my friend had smoked it to get the desired effect as he changed only one.
Old 16th February 2010, 12:42   #29
BHPian

Hi Toms,

Can you post a pic of your friends car with the mod tail lamps. Also pls pm me the contact info!
Old 16th February 2010, 13:21   #30
BHPian

sorry i don't have his car's photo. he has not modded his tail lamp it's just smoked a little to reduce the brightness. will take 10 days to ship. check your PM for his contact info.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks