Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 16th March 2010, 15:55   #16
BHPian

Hey many congratulations on your new i20!

This month my i20 (Asta) completes a year. Last year when I was zeroing in on which car to buy, the i20 was a very new car, untested and was initially written off as underpowered and on the wrong side of the value for money scale. I evaluated the i20 back then at my own terms and found it a brilliant vfm city car in a great package. Today, i20s on the road outnumber punto and jazz by a large margin, which is again not making me very happy as it is losing its uniqueness! But yet, good to see it sell like hot cakes
Old 16th March 2010, 20:18   #17
BHPian

Pictures at last

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildon View Post
This input really surprised me, as in my car for me its a dead gear.
Is Hyundai improved the ratios ?
I can tell you that i was quite surprized with this as well. Usually, i shift to first as a rule but found myself sitting pretty in second a lot in this car. Though i must say, the acceleration pales in comparison to when one starts off in 1st & then moves up.
By the way, thanks for the great info i got off your thread. Someone rightly said its the place for i20 owners to be!

Clocked another 60ish kms since my last post, you can check the odo
Was running on reserve when i pumped another 45L of recreational activity (aka petrol) in. Got around 410kms on a tankful. FE comes to about 9kmpl till now.

An interesting thing happened today. I was nudged by my friend when the signal changed at Kalanagar & i braked very abruptly from 50kmph with a thud. For at least 4-5 next brakes, heard an usual sound from the floor & there was a noticeable clink in the brake, it disappeared after 5 mins. Any idea about this?

Well, here're the pictures as promised. Currently only the interior pics (car needed a bit of cleaning)
Attached Thumbnails
i-20-"Won": My new car steals the show-p1010529.jpg  

i-20-"Won": My new car steals the show-p1010537.jpg  

i-20-"Won": My new car steals the show-p1010538.jpg  

i-20-"Won": My new car steals the show-p1010543.jpg  

i-20-"Won": My new car steals the show-p1010542.jpg  

i-20-"Won": My new car steals the show-p1010545.jpg  

i-20-"Won": My new car steals the show-p1010546.jpg  

i-20-"Won": My new car steals the show-p1010554.jpg  

i-20-"Won": My new car steals the show-p1010556.jpg  

i-20-"Won": My new car steals the show-p1010544.jpg  

Old 16th March 2010, 21:49   #18
BHPian

Hey! Nice pictures.
What is that button in the glovebox for?
Old 16th March 2010, 21:54   #19
Senior - BHPian

The red dials look brilliant at night. hey how's the AC in hot Mumbai weather? I have heard it's not as efficient.
Old 16th March 2010, 23:05   #20
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by theragingbull View Post
The red dials look brilliant at night. hey how's the AC in hot Mumbai weather? I have heard it's not as efficient.
I have heard and read about the same. Problem is that the 1.2 from i10 is carried over to i20. Along with engine, the compressor remains unchanged from i10. Now, i10 has less greenhouse and smaller cabin as compared to i20. Hence the inefficiency.

I am not sure whether the 1.4 petrol and diesel have bigger compressor or not, but 1.2 sure had an issue. Again, I am dont think Hyundai has updated the compressor.

If any body has any information on this, do post here.
Old 16th March 2010, 23:26   #21
Senior - BHPian

Congratulations on your prized possession. Take good care of you car, and she'll reciprocate for sure.
I liked the well balanced review you've written. I test drove the i20 Petrol extensively and I found the 2nd gear to be quite lethargic. That being said, you are right that the engine doesn't feel underpowered inside the city. The power steering though, made me feel a little nervous; it is uncanny how I had a similar experience.

In the test drive car, I hit a rough patch at around 80 clicks, the steering felt lifeless and over servoed when I tried to steer the car. I had written to Hyundai India to do something about the power steering unit, it doesn't inspire confidence.
Old 17th March 2010, 07:48   #22
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amartya View Post
In the test drive car, I hit a rough patch at around 80 clicks, the steering felt lifeless and over servoed when I tried to steer the car. I had written to Hyundai India to do something about the power steering unit, it doesn't inspire confidence.
The same thing happened to me on the highway!! Did you notice if the steering wheel got stiffer during parking? All things put aside, the Electronic PS is quite a convenience in the city. I want to try the hydraulic on the Punto next, but sadly noone i know owns one :(

Quote:
Originally Posted by aman9393 View Post
Hey! Nice pictures.
What is that button in the glovebox for?
Actually that's a plastic slider that opens the AC vent. I specifically took that picture as i couldn't find one before buying the car. Once slid into position, the glove box is cooled; very useful when you wanna keep a bottle cooler or when you have chocolates on you

Quote:
Originally Posted by theragingbull View Post
Took it out on the bandra-worli sealink yesterday & the temp outside was 35 according to the internet & 38 C according to the car display. AC cooling is just fine, infact it gets very chilly if the thermostat is set to 18C. I've turned off my side of the vents a lot of times cause my hands started to get chilly on the wheel. But, when there's direct sunlight into the car (I have NO sunfilms on), the cooling takes a dramatic yet somewhat tolerable hit. Will be getting films within a week's time & update you then. The interesting thing is that Hyundai has given rear passenger vents below the front seats while ones in the B-Pillar could've been so much more effective
Old 17th March 2010, 09:03   #23
BHPian

Musicmaker23: Congrats on buying i20. I had few questions though:

What made you chose petrol over diesel ??

Did you try the diesel ?

How is the diesel engine as compared to petrol ??

How is hyundai when it comes to A.S.S ??
Old 17th March 2010, 09:29   #24
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Musicmaker23 View Post

Actually that's a plastic slider that opens the AC vent. I specifically took that picture as i couldn't find one before buying the car. Once slid into position, the glove box is cooled; very useful when you wanna keep a bottle cooler or when you have chocolates on you

Congrats on the car! Nice write up as well. Nice to see such features come up in small and non premium hatches. Last time I saw this ice box feature was in the Captiva. Does the glove box have a light too ? Or am I asking for too much ?
Old 17th March 2010, 09:37   #25
BHPian

Quote:
Oh yeah, thats a nice feature. Koreans got brains

Prince: I like your signature

Last edited by quadra : 17th March 2010 at 09:39.
Old 17th March 2010, 09:38   #26
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaggoswami View Post
I have heard and read about the same. Problem is that the 1.2 from i10 is carried over to i20. Along with engine, the compressor remains unchanged from i10. Now, i10 has less greenhouse and smaller cabin as compared to i20. Hence the inefficiency.

I am not sure whether the 1.4 petrol and diesel have bigger compressor or not, but 1.2 sure had an issue. Again, I am dont think Hyundai has updated the compressor.

If any body has any information on this, do post here.
They have 3 types of Compressors named k1.2, y1.6 and u1.6 But for 1.2 and 1.4 model cars i think they carry the same k1.2 unit.

i-20-"Won": My new car steals the show-alc.jpg

@Musicmaker23

Didn't faced any situation for hard/emergency braking yet, so i can't comment on that.
Old 17th March 2010, 10:09   #27
BHPian

Quote:
That's a cool feature you have got there!
Good to see Hyundai providing such nice levels of equipment in small cars.
Old 17th March 2010, 17:18   #28
BHPian

Agree with all the good and the bad you have listed. Nothing to say on the 2nd gear as I have a CRDI. Bottom line, the car is great.
Old 17th March 2010, 20:04   #29
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildon View Post
They have 3 types of Compressors named k1.2, y1.6 and u1.6 But for 1.2 and 1.4 model cars i think they carry the same k1.2 unit.
but wanted to know, where exactly is this compressor located ? can it be upgraded to an after market compressor ?
Old 17th March 2010, 20:13   #30
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
The interesting thing is that Hyundai has given rear passenger vents below the front seats while ones in the B-Pillar could've been so much more effective
If I'm not wrong, those rear cooling ducts only work when the AC is set to foot position.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks