Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 13th July 2010, 16:20   #241
Senior - BHPian

Poloman, could you tell us about the service schedule? I want to compare it to the Figo and other cars in the segment.
Old 13th July 2010, 16:30   #242
BHPian

As the topic about reverse gear showed up, I would like to add that opel comes up with same positioning of reverse gear as in POLO only difference was that the gear knob has to be pulled for engaging the reverse gear.

P.S.: update on my POLO delivery : Got refund back from Kashyap Vehicle Works cancelled dealership, again booked with Bhasin Motors Delhi. Contacted VW apparently Comfortline have been temporarily been stopped in production. The car is due to get invoice to dealer in last week of July and expected delivery is 1st week of Aug. (four months waiting)
Old 13th July 2010, 17:01   #243
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by carfanatic007 View Post
I really want to understand this "engine is refined" thing. Is it only a function of engine noise? As I don't think so there is any problem with a 1.2 engine, we have so many cars on the road which are 1.2 and running for many years.
Good one!

All this discussion is based on only noise and vibrations. Logically, 3 pot will have it more then the 4 pot. Counter weights used in the engine, will also reduce it.

Now we have Polo and Micra with 3 pot engine. Classic example of a 3 pot engine that I can think off is MATIZ. It had a engine life of more than 2 years - Easily!

Wow - What a car it was!!

Engine is the last thing that gives trouble in these cars. But, it is the most discussed part!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Subaro123 View Post
As the topic about reverse gear showed up, I would like to add that opel comes up with same positioning of reverse gear as in POLO only difference was that the gear knob has to be pulled for engaging the reverse gear.
Yes - I had seen it in Opel - Corsa.
Old 13th July 2010, 18:42   #244
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chethan B G View Post
In Polo, we definitely can not engage reverse gear by mistake. If this is what is the concern. In-fact, I liked the reverse gear position - It is different then other cars - It makes it all the more interesting!
Quote:
Originally Posted by neoonwheels View Post
The reverse gear will not be engaged if the car is moving forward. But trying this out can dangerously damage the gear box. These days gears have syncros to avoid damaging the gear teeth, I am not sure if that helps in such situations though.
Blame the VW sales exec for this! In all my years of driving, I had never heard a sound as the one that came when this guy put it the Polo reverse gear.
Old 13th July 2010, 21:15   #245
BHPian

Quote:
Good one!

All this discussion is based on only noise and vibrations. Logically, 3 pot will have it more then the 4 pot. Counter weights used in the engine, will also reduce it.

Now we have Polo and Micra with 3 pot engine. Classic example of a 3 pot engine that I can think off is MATIZ. It had a engine life of more than 2 years - Easily!

Engine is the last thing that gives trouble in these cars. But, it is the most discussed part!

Yes - I had seen it in Opel - Corsa.
Incidentally I am a proud owner of 10 year old Matiz , NVH levels....well ok but if a Matiz without any A.S.S. runs ok after 10 years now so I am really not worried about 3pot Vs 4Pot debate
Old 13th July 2010, 21:29   #246
BHPian

The POLO looks amazing, had a closer look at my office parking today. Man the Front and Side profile are killer, looks like perfect aerodynamic sports design. I am not exited by the Kinetic design thing that the Figo advertises and feel POLO is way better in DESIGN in 2010. Its a good premium car to buy , way to go POLO MAN CONGRATS. I was comparing with figo because these are the numerious car that have been added in office parking in last 2 months in which FIGO'S are more.
Old 13th July 2010, 21:38   #247
Senior - BHPian

My opinion about Polo's looks after one months of ownership.
It is a classical design. It never grows on you, neither it looks jaded or make you tired with passage of time.
It looks fresh and clean always as it happened in the first glimpse.
Captain, First service is at 15K/1year. No free service. Expect around 5K for this.

Last edited by poloman : 13th July 2010 at 21:40.
Old 13th July 2010, 21:38   #248
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Classic example of a 3 pot engine that I can think off is MATIZ. It had a engine life of more than 2 years - Easily!

Quote:
Originally Posted by carfanatic007 View Post
Incidentally I am a proud owner of 10 year old Matiz , NVH levels....well ok but if a Matiz without any A.S.S. runs ok after 10 years now so I am really not worried about 3pot Vs 4Pot debate
Sorry for the typo!

Please read it as: Classic example of a 3 pot engine that I can think off is MATIZ. It had a engine life of more than 2,00,000 Kms - Easily!
Old 13th July 2010, 22:38   #249
Senior - BHPian

Chetan, Since you have covered lot of miles in Polo, Have you given the car a underbody wash? I had to drive throgh lot of muddy tracts in the recent trip. So where to get this done? I don't trust the local service centres much.
Old 14th July 2010, 00:02   #250
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by poloman View Post
Chetan, Since you have covered lot of miles in Polo, Have you given the car a underbody wash? I had to drive throgh lot of muddy tracts in the recent trip. So where to get this done? I don't trust the local service centres much.
I have also not given a under-body wash until now. My car will be touching 5000 Kms very soon. I plan to get it checked by next week end. May-be, I will get the wash done at the same time. But - Is it required? I thought that it was enough to get it done once in 6 months.

I saw an Ad in Forum - Koramangala, about body wash. Do not know if they do a good job.
Old 14th July 2010, 09:33   #251
Senior - BHPian

Chetan, If i am right the dealer was mentioning to another owner that he is doing full body wash for around Rs250. Kindly check up with him when you go there. Since Polo service is only at 15K it is not wise to wait so long for the under body wash. Most cars would have undergone two services by that time.

Last edited by poloman : 14th July 2010 at 09:35.
Old 14th July 2010, 10:08   #252
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Slow View Post
Poloman, could you tell us about the service schedule? I want to compare it to the Figo and other cars in the segment.
I wonder if someone could tell me how these car manufacturers set their service intervals.
  • For Polo, I understand it is 15,000 kms. or 1 year which ever is first, regardless of whether the car is petrol or diesel.
  • For the Innova diesel, I understand it is 10,000 kms. or 1 year, whichever is first.
  • For the Xylo, I got a bit of shock when I found that the service interval is 5,000 kms. or 3 months, whichever is first.
Why would there be such a disparity between the service intervals of cars? Does it mean that some cars go through their consumables faster?

Also is the 5K+ service charge for the Polo justified? I know it is a small fraction of the overall cost of the car, but could it be because the consumables of the Polo are more expensive (e.g. synthetic oil (?), etc.)?
Old 14th July 2010, 13:22   #253
RGK
Senior - BHPian

Reverse gear will not be engaged during forward motion even in older cars like Amby & Fiat and even with hand shifts. So nothing to worry on engaging reverse gears on motion in modern gear boxes and no safety issue.
In floor shifts pulling down from 5th will automatically go to 4th and never hit "R".
Hearing about precise shifts on Polo - nothing to worry.

Yes Krish - Figo's are more now a days. It is a major hit in AP is the news I got from a friends who travels regularly to Vijayawada.

Poloman - Ordinary Water wash (body &engine, removing all wheels) is nothing to do with service intervals. If there is more mud in the underchassis, then go for it. If you are able to maintain the car well (inner & outer), then do not need.
But tell the service guy to be very careful while water washing under the bonnet. Never force any water to electrical parts. It is better to be there along with the water boy.
Old 14th July 2010, 16:10   #254
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by poloman View Post
I have come back from my first long drive in Polo.A total of 1250Km in 3 days ..and the impression is absolutely fantastic. This car is built for the highways.Excellent dynamics and mileage.
Bangalore>>Salem>>Kovai>>Palakkad>>Thrissur>>Home
504Km,5 people, Mileage 15.8
Max speed: 130Kmph and I setled for a cruising speed of 90-110Kmph
The Polo some how loves Kerala roads and in one of the drives of around 75Kms in Thrissur, I got an astonding mileage of 18.6
Return
Thrissur Palakkad road is in absolute bad condition so I decided to avoid Thrissur during return journey and took Ottapalam-Palakkad route.
Home>>Palakkad>>Kovai>>Salem>>Bangalore
497Km, 3 People, Mileage: 17.1
Reduced the cruising speed to 80-90Kmph in night.
Everyone in my family enjoyed the pleasant and comfortable driving experience in Polo.While at home performed Pooja for the car at Guruvayur temple.

Poloman I missed this, but awesome FE I must say, so does anyone know if this is better/worse/same than i20, Punto,Jazz, Figo, Swift (Petrol Variants)
Old 14th July 2010, 16:34   #255
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RGK View Post
Reverse gear will not be engaged during forward motion even in older cars like Amby & Fiat and even with hand shifts. So nothing to worry on engaging reverse gears on motion in modern gear boxes and no safety issue.
In floor shifts pulling down from 5th will automatically go to 4th and never hit "R".
Absolutely, the reverse wont engage if you try to engage it if the car is in forward motion.

But the real trouble is when you are parking in tight spots and you want to squeeze in between the two car. So theres a car in front and theres a car at the back and while parking you continuously engage revese and first again and again. During this process, especially if you do it quick, there are chances that you either engage reverse instead of first and go back or vice versa.

In cars where the reverse is at the back, you know the cars going back and when the first is engaged, you know the car is going forward. I am used to parking real quick in our other cars, but with the Polo I park it slowly and carefully.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks