Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 26th March 2011, 10:11   #391
BHPian

Re: IRVM Night mode issue with Polo..

Quote:
Originally Posted by sadnabrina View Post
I think you missed my point. In the other cars there is no need to readjust the mirror after switching to Night mode. Infact the Swift user manual claerly mentions that you adjust the field of view in Day mode and switch to Night mode - the field of vision remains unchanged but it becomes dark.
However in the Polo, there is a need to readjust slightly after switching to night mode. I shall try to take a few pictures over the weekend and post them.
Not sure how you will take the pictures as I assume it will be at night.

But you can do a little experiment to verify whether the "night mode" of the Polo's rear-view mirror works:
  1. Set it to "day mode" and then flip to "night mode" without changing the mirror position.
  2. Have someone with a flashlight project a beam from various points by standing behind your car.
  3. Check if you can see the beam in your rear-view mirror.

I am curious to know the results.
Old 26th March 2011, 17:22   #392
Senior - BHPian

re: Poloman's Polo has arrived, Edit: 1 year, 13025Km, First service update

I have a workaround that I have figured out with my Santro's IRVM. When I switch to Night mode - the angle of view (field of vision) does change and I get to see those rear seat headrests. But, the way to counteract that is :

1. Switch to night mode (Push the Day/Night mode switch towards the windscreen)
2. Adjust the mirror to its original position (as it was in Day mode), so that you can directly see the rear car headlights.
3. Flip the Day/Night mode switch towards you, instead of towards the windscreen. This will somehow switch the angle of view to the inner roof of the car (which is full grey in color on the Santro) and the now the Night mode has a better (clearer) view. The rear car headlights will still be blackened and the rear seat headrests wont be a bother anymore!

I don't know if this works on other cars - but this has been working for me ever since I tried it out.
Old 28th March 2011, 14:00   #393
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nowwhat? View Post

But you can do a little experiment to verify whether the "night mode" of the Polo's rear-view mirror works:
  1. Set it to "day mode" and then flip to "night mode" without changing the mirror position.
  2. Have someone with a flashlight project a beam from various points by standing behind your car.
  3. Check if you can see the beam in your rear-view mirror.
I was planning the same. However couldn't get time to do it this weekend. Will try and do it as soon as feasible.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 9thsphinx View Post
I have a workaround that I have figured out with my Santro's IRVM. When I switch to Night mode - the angle of view (field of vision) does change and I get to see those rear seat headrests. But, the way to counteract that is :

1. Switch to night mode (Push the Day/Night mode switch towards the windscreen)
2. Adjust the mirror to its original position (as it was in Day mode), so that you can directly see the rear car headlights.
3. Flip the Day/Night mode switch towards you, instead of towards the windscreen. This will somehow switch the angle of view to the inner roof of the car (which is full grey in color on the Santro) and the now the Night mode has a better (clearer) view. The rear car headlights will still be blackened and the rear seat headrests wont be a bother anymore!

I don't know if this works on other cars - but this has been working for me ever since I tried it out.
The way you have mentioned (step 3) is actually the recommended way to switch to night mode. The flip switch away from you (towards the windscreen) is the correct day mode. The flip switch towards you is the night mode.
Old 29th March 2011, 09:42   #394
BHPian

@nowwhat?

To my belief, When you switch to nightmode you see image reflected from portion of cabin light cover.

Other cars that I have used never faced problem that is seen in Polo. I previously owned Palio for 7 long years and when I switched to nightmode the IVRM always showed me the same image with glare fully cut down.

I had same experience with other cars - Zen, Mercedes C series, Cheverelet Optra, U-Va, Fiat Grand Punto, etc.

This is a design problem where something in design of mirror or cabin light cover has gone seriously wrong.

I still believe - All polo owners must come together and demand rectification from VW.
Old 21st April 2011, 15:54   #395
BHPian

My POLO comfortline which is 4 months old is also having the driver side power window issue. Couple of times when I stopped for toll and other emergencies it did not work. After sometime it will resume working. I went to Volkswagen Cochin and checked about this issue and they gave me a ridiculous response saying it is a security feature and he was saying that power window kits are made for all doors from single assembly so for the sake of security we will have to suffer this abnormality. I did not argue with him sensing no purpose.

VOLKSWAGEN INDIA, PLEASE RESOLVE THE DRIVER SIDE POWER WINDOW ISSUE AS IT IS VERY CRITICAL.
Old 21st April 2011, 16:51   #396
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rahulrajeev View Post
VOLKSWAGEN INDIA, PLEASE RESOLVE THE DRIVER SIDE POWER WINDOW ISSUE AS IT IS VERY CRITICAL.
Hi rahulrajeev,
My driver side power window problem has not appeared after the first service.
They did some firmware/software upgrades (they call it Campaign Job) which were mandated by VW. I am hoping that it might have solved the issue. Keeping my fingers crossed.

Quote:
Hi nowwhat?,
I totally forgot taking those images. I remembered a few days back and took these shots using the phone camera. Not the best images, but hopefully shows the problem.

Image 1 - Day Mode
Poloman's Polo has arrived, Edit: 1 year, 13025Km, First service update-day-mode.jpg

Image 2 - Switched to night mode without any adjustment - Please note the view has changed and it is showing more of the roof and ceiling light. See at the bottom, you can't see the tissue box on the boot cover.
Poloman's Polo has arrived, Edit: 1 year, 13025Km, First service update-night-mode-default.jpg

Image 3 - Night more after some adjustment.
Poloman's Polo has arrived, Edit: 1 year, 13025Km, First service update-night-mode-adjusted.jpg
Looking at these images, now I get a feeling that the mirror is made for a left hand drive vehicle. Need to go back and check it from the front passenger's seat. Will first adjust it as if the front pax is the driver and then switch to night mode. Will check and revert.
sadnabrina is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 21st April 2011, 18:15   #397
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sadnabrina View Post
Hi nowwhat?,
I totally forgot taking those images. I remembered a few days back and took these shots using the phone camera. Not the best images, but hopefully shows the problem.
Just thanked you for the images.
nowwhat? is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd April 2011, 09:31   #398
Senior - BHPian

Anirban, nice to know that most of your issues were resolved during first service. My polo has covered around 13K kms now. It is mostly touchwood, but suffers from some fatigue and niggles like minor rattle from door speakers. I feel 15K is too long a interval for first service.Few doubts from my side.
Is the tyre alignment a part of first service? Was tyre rotation done in your case? Is it better to do the alignment in some good tyre shops which have better domain expertise than the dealership?
Also my polo is nearing one year. Has any one renewed the insurance yet? Again we have to get it done through dealer or can approach Bajaj Allianz directly?
Old 22nd April 2011, 11:49   #399
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by poloman View Post
Also my polo is nearing one year. Has any one renewed the insurance yet? Again we have to get it done through dealer or can approach Bajaj Allianz directly?
Pls do not renew through dealer. You will get much a much better quote if you contact Bajaj Allianz directly.

You can also switch to ICICI though I personally am not their fan. When I took delivery of the car, both Bajaj Allianz and ICICI had cashless facility with VW.

You can also check with VW Downtown if VW has now tied up with anyone else.
Old 25th April 2011, 12:11   #400
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by poloman View Post
Anirban, nice to know that most of your issues were resolved during first service. My polo has covered around 13K kms now. It is mostly touchwood, but suffers from some fatigue and niggles like minor rattle from door speakers. I feel 15K is too long a interval for first service.Few doubts from my side.
Is the tyre alignment a part of first service? Was tyre rotation done in your case? Is it better to do the alignment in some good tyre shops which have better domain expertise than the dealership?
Hi Poloman,
15K is probably too long in the Indian context with our roads and dust parameters. But then the main thing they do is change the oils and filters. The used filters they gave me back looked horribly black. The pollen (A/C) filter looked the worse.
I am sure the rattles in your door/speaker would get fixed during the 1st service.
The alignment and balancing equipment they had at the service station was of very good quality. The technicians were good too. They took utmost care not to damage the alloys. The balancing weights they had fixed were also fixed on the inside surface of the wheel, hidden out of view. The same guys do alignment and balancing for Toureg / Passat.

The wheel alignment should ideally be done during the first service. Actually they did mine about a month before the 1st service - complementary to keep me happy as I had complained about the paint quality. They repainted the bonnet for me too for the same reason.

Rotation was also done and is standard practice for 1st service - the moment they out your car on the sevice dock, one guys comes in with a permamnent marker and writes F/R, F/L, R/R, R/L on your wheels and starts taking them off. Once balancing is done, they bring back the wheels and fit them back according to the rotation algorithm using the marks he had put in earlier.
I agree with nowhat?'s view on insurance. Get in touch with the insurance company directly. You would get a better deal. But please make sure you take the "no depriciation" riders/additions.
Old 25th April 2011, 12:19   #401
Senior - BHPian

Thanks Arinban, In that case I will get the alignment done from dealer itelf. Damage to alloys; even a single scratch is not tolerable for me. The VW power window problem is playing crazy again. The roll up/roll down function on the remote has stopped functioning for me.Since this is not a serious show stopper, planning to tackle this only during the first service.

Last edited by poloman : 25th April 2011 at 12:20.
Old 26th April 2011, 10:50   #402
BHPian

Quote:
Pls do not renew through dealer. You will get much a much better quote if you contact Bajaj Allianz directly.

You can also switch to ICICI though I personally am not their fan. When I took delivery of the car, both Bajaj Allianz and ICICI had cashless facility with VW.

You can also check with VW Downtown if VW has now tied up with anyone else.
Bharti AXA is also a good bet and they have cashless settlement with VW dealers as well.
Old 9th May 2011, 11:38   #403
Senior - BHPian

Renewed the insurance online from Bajaj allianz.Paid a premium of Rs13238 on a IDV value of Rs 558294. Got a NCB of 20% and a 5% extra discount. Still feel this is on higher side. Did not have the time and patience to run behind other insurance companies. So settled for Bajaj Allainz itself.

Last edited by poloman : 9th May 2011 at 11:41.
Old 25th May 2011, 10:01   #404
Senior - BHPian

My Polo has completed 13000Km and one week from one year. So went to VW downtown to drop the vehicle for first service at 9.30 today.
I was shocked to see the queue in front of the gate. The security guy bluntly told no entry in to the compound with out appointment.Luckily my office is at walkable distance and could save myself from wasting any more time there.
So any one planning service from VW downtown please take a prior appointment and go there. The place itself is a mess with road fully dugged up.
Dear VW, What is happening here? If the service schdelue is so tight, the service center should have the courtesy to call the customers whose service is approaching and ask them to fix an appointment at the latest?
What if some one needs urgent service? Do you think that the company responsiblity ends on day of the sale of the vehicle and customer has to fend with cramped spaces and schedules?. All this with a service interval of one year. i am too scared to think of the scenario if the car had a service interval similar to the Japanese.
Old 26th May 2011, 21:32   #405
Senior - BHPian

Finally completed first service at 13023Km and 357days. As per the appointment reached the VW downtown at 10.30 exact. But as usual the service bay was at the disoriented best with people wandering aimlessly but none bothering about the customers who were walking in. After a sweet 20 minutes, a SA was allotted finally. Ironically it was his first day on work and did not even know which color job card to take. This unnerved me a lot but the guy was decent so decided to take a chance with him. I had no complaints about the car other than the power window issue which was any way supposed to go away with a software update. So I only told him to be careful with the car and not create any further issues. But the proposed delivery time blew my fuse. The delivery was expected next day evening. This for a routine service with no major complaints to address. He gave some reasoning that some summer camp is going on and lot of cars have come for service.. blah blah.. I immediately synced up with the service manage and gave him a piece of mind. So he finally agreed to deliver the car by 6PM.
Reached the service center at 5.30PM and the SA informed that the software update are going on and will take half an hour more. Finally the car and the bill was ready at 6pm. I am not too happy with the bill which I have attached. The labor charges are very much on the higher side. A normal body wash costs 495/- I am not able to understand many items under the labor. Wheel balancing cost a whopping 1431/- including weights and labor.
On a better note the car was delivered with out much issues. The car felt much more smooth and powerful. The power lag in second gear is not evident as before.Hoping that the car will hold on good as earlier.
Attached Thumbnails
Poloman's Polo has arrived, Edit: 1 year, 13025Km, First service update-bill.jpg  

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks