Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 10th August 2011, 19:39   #451
BHPian

Re: Poloman's Polo has arrived, Edit: 1 year, 13025Km, First service update

Hi Poloman
Nice review of the car....
Would you be able to kindly assess the fuel economy for the polo based on your experience so far (bangalore city /highway)
I am eyeing for a Polo Petrol Trendline
Old 10th August 2011, 21:35   #452
Senior - BHPian

Though Polo is slow off the block it has a decent top end. The car can attain speed in excess of 140kmph very easily and remain quite steady and stable at those speeds.
There are few threads on carputer on the site. You can search for them. But any cutting of wires can void warranty. Iam not qualified to comment on AMC since neither i have it nor many on the forum have experience on Petrol AMC.
Apatel, my mileage figures are very consistent.12.xx in worst kind of Bangalore traffic. 17.xx in excellent 4 lane highways with average speed above 80kmph.If you stick to speeds below 70kmph you can even achieve mileages above 19-20kmpl. I have never come across single digit mileage in any form of traffic till now, some of worst bangalore traffic jams included.
poloman is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th August 2011, 02:07   #453
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by H4ck3R View Post
Concerns:
I had planned to Hyundai Accent but my father insisted on POLO. SO I had no other option. I hadn't test driven the POLO or Accent yet. But heard Accent has bigger engine so obviously it would have been a great VFM. anyways, I am trying to get over that. Finally test drove the POLO. As soon as I released the clutch while driving my first question to the SP was "Is it diesel?" He said its petrol. I was like.. what?? The car felt heavily underpowered. I have been driving Original Waogn R (1100 CC) for over 6-7 years now. All I can say is the Wagon R till date has better pickup compared to POLO. Not sure about running in thing.. but I read others also observed the same issue. Is this true? Will this car live up to my expectations. I would like to have a better car compared to my existing one.. in terms of performance at least.
Hyundai Accent Pros: space, so called big car, refined and bigger engine compared to 3 cylinder polo and reliable.

Hyundai Accent cons: aged, feels dated, no feel good factor, aweful road manners when compared to polo, built quality no where near polo (which is NCAP 5 star rated).

Polo pros : looks stunning, excellent built quality, good interiors, good ride and handling, very comfortable and the VW badge

polo cons : 1.2 petrol is a not so refined 3 cylinder, cannot expect any performance from it, rear seat space is compromised (accent much better), german reliability is still questionable.

I agree that the 1.1 of wagon R which was shared with alto was a scorcher at its time. The power to weight especially of alto was quiet remarkable.

Advise, if you are looking for decent performace, look at swift diesel, Ldi should cost you about 5.5 Lac here in delhi.

Quote:
Second, What is the verdict on maintenance cost of POLO. I believe there are alot of people who own POLO for over 1 year. And its enough to gauge the same.
Its overall a very good car, just dont try to rip that 1.2, 3 cylinder engine.. and the reliability part is taken care of by the 4 year/1 lac kms warranty from VW..

Quote:
Third, there is a difference of around 2 lac rupees in trendline and highline. I believe except ABS and Airbags everything can be installed in the car. Am I right? If yes then where can I get all the things that are available in Highline?
I'd buy highline only for those Airbags and ABS, if budget permits.. You seem to be missing the most important stuff.. better get a car with abs and airbags rather than spending money later on on accessories including alloys, expensive music system and fog lights, etc.. I'd highly recommend you get a car with airbags and ABS if budget permits..

Quote:
Fourth, I read "Warranty Void" in this and similar threads for about thousands of times. What's wrong with VW. They are behaving like Apple. I purchased the car and I would want to do certain things with it. I understand certain things like messing with engine and tearing apart stuffs from the car during modifications. But changing the Tyre, ICE, etc shouldn't be a problem. How the hell in this world can changing the Tyre and rims can cause warranty void issues provided one stays in the defined specifications.
If you remain within defined specifications, your warranty will not be void, its all gibberish coming from dealers.. ask them to give it in white and black if they talk about warranty..

Quote:
Sixth, I opted for AMC, does this mean I don't have to pay a single penny at the Service Station when I go for servicing for the next 3 years.
Well, 99% yes, only incase you go in there for wear and tear not covered under warranty or amc, they will charge you, for eg,, if your ac gas leaks.. they will charge you.. there will be a few more.. as they say read the policy documents carefully before signing .

I personally wont advise buying an AMC.. MHO..

Last edited by gaurav_chopra04 : 11th August 2011 at 02:11.
gaurav_chopra04 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th August 2011, 09:46   #454
BANNED

Nice thread. I have been seeing a lot of Polo's on the road these days. One thing I noticed was the badging. Some have "POLO" on the LHS of the rear hatch, some have "VOLKSWAGEN" on the LHS and "POLO" on the RHS and some have "VOLKSWAGEN" on the LHS and "POLO TDI" on the RHS. Is this something to do with the version or trim level?
Old 12th August 2011, 10:11   #455
Senior - BHPian

Initial batches of Polo including mine came with just "POLO" on the LHS. Then VW realised this won't help in branding and recall. So all new cars come with "VOLKSWAGEN" on the LHS and "POLO" on RHS.
Old 12th August 2011, 12:45   #456
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Live To Jive View Post
Nice thread. I have been seeing a lot of Polo's on the road these days. One thing I noticed was the badging. Some have "POLO" on the LHS of the rear hatch, some have "VOLKSWAGEN" on the LHS and "POLO" on the RHS and some have "VOLKSWAGEN" on the LHS and "POLO TDI" on the RHS. Is this something to do with the version or trim level?
Quote:
Originally Posted by poloman View Post
Initial batches of Polo including mine came with just "POLO" on the LHS. Then VW realised this won't help in branding and recall. So all new cars come with "VOLKSWAGEN" on the LHS and "POLO" on RHS.
In addition to what Poloman has said about the "Polo" or Volkswagen badges on the LHS, the current batches have the following badges on the RHS
1. Polo: Petrol 1.2
2. Polo Tdi: Diesel 1.2
3. Polo 1.6: Petrol 1.6

So yes, these specify the engine variant. There is no badging specifying the trim level on the car.
Old 14th August 2011, 05:19   #457
BHPian

WOW, Really AWESOME to have this kind of a forum. (Not sure whether I could have finalised on the POLO at all without TBHP)

I checked out VW showroom (Hosur Rd Bangalore) today but not test driven as it got late testing i20/Ritz/i10/Liva all day. (I always dreamed of owning a POLO but negative comments had made me judgemental in the negative way)

Thanks Poloman and others.
From the threads I understand that the mileage figures seem to offer a good balance for the POLO petrol inspite of expensive parts (8K for OVRM!!!)

Planning for: [RED petrol 1.2 trendline] (budget restrictions exclude higher variants)
On Road Price 5,63,000=[essentialkit,2864]+[extended warranty,7199]+[Rtax-SerChrg,72824]+[insurance,17000]+[exshowroom,463000]

Inspite of my travel abroad from mid next week, I am thinking of booking the car ASAP and take delivery 1st week of Sept as the VW SA mentioned that there's an offer where I can use upto 40K from any of the following value offerings;

a]Free insurance cover for 1st year (will mean minus 17K from 563000) [FONT=Wingdings][FONT=Wingdings]J[/FONT][/FONT]
b]Accessories worth 15K
c]AMC (15K)
d]something else which I don’t recall

....I might end up booking in next few days itself [IMG]file:///C:/Users/apatel/AppData/Local/Temp/msohtmlclip1/01/clip_image002.gif[/IMG] I plan to book on monday or Tuesday and would appreciate any help from you all on what to watch out for based on ur ownership experience so far.

1)AMC (~15K) – Yes or No
(comprehension so far from the threads is average of 7K/service, so if AMC less than 21K (i.e for 3 yrs) it’s a good deal-correct?I also noticed a few people getting far less charges on their services)

2)Accessories-
Fog lamps
VW original scuff plates (I noticed metal is exposed and will definitely get scratched without these)
Rubber and Textile Mats (Thanks Chetan B G)
Rear tray (as it is not there in trendline [FONT=Wingdings][FONT=Wingdings]L[/FONT][/FONT] )
[FONT=&quot]Mud flaps[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Any suggestions for other useful accessories??[/FONT]
Old 15th August 2011, 23:30   #458
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apatel
WOW, Really AWESOME to have this kind of a forum. (Not sure whether I could have finalised on the POLO at all without TBHP)

I checked out VW showroom (Hosur Rd Bangalore) today but not test driven as it got late testing i20/Ritz/i10/Liva all day. (I always dreamed of owning a POLO but negative comments had made me judgemental in the negative way)

Thanks Poloman and others.
From the threads I understand that the mileage figures seem to offer a good balance for the POLO petrol inspite of expensive parts (8K for OVRM!!!)

Planning for: [RED petrol 1.2 trendline] (budget restrictions exclude higher variants)
On Road Price 5,63,000=[essentialkit,2864]+[extended warranty,7199]+[Rtax-SerChrg,72824]+[insurance,17000]+[exshowroom,463000]

Inspite of my travel abroad from mid next week, I am thinking of booking the car ASAP and take delivery 1st week of Sept as the VW SA mentioned that there's an offer where I can use upto 40K from any of the following value offerings;

a]Free insurance cover for 1st year (will mean minus 17K from 563000) J
b]Accessories worth 15K
c]AMC (15K)
d]something else which I don’t recall

....I might end up booking in next few days itself I plan to book on monday or Tuesday and would appreciate any help from you all on what to watch out for based on ur ownership experience so far.

1)AMC (~15K) – Yes or No
(comprehension so far from the threads is average of 7K/service, so if AMC less than 21K (i.e for 3 yrs) it’s a good deal-correct?I also noticed a few people getting far less charges on their services)

2)Accessories-
Fog lamps
VW original scuff plates (I noticed metal is exposed and will definitely get scratched without these)
Rubber and Textile Mats (Thanks Chetan B G)
Rear tray (as it is not there in trendline L )
Mud flaps
Any suggestions for other useful accessories??
Hey I just booked mine, btw with discounts I got my trendline for 5 lakhs. Also if you are going for loan ask for the 6.99% scheme. Guess what ,I got mine for 0% interest rate. This lasts for a few days only so guys go get your polos.
fastraj is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th August 2011, 23:52   #459
BHPian

That's nice to know fastraj. Congratulations on your POLO RED??

I am located in bangalore and I think costs vary (SURPRISED YOU getin it for 0% - lemme know if there is a trick/idea am missin here )and here trendline comes only in red or white

I am planning to book mine tomorrow. (VW DOWNTOWN SHOWROOM ON MAGRATH ROAD)
I am getting it for 5,43,000 (exshowroom+Roadtax&servicecharge+extended warranty)
VW is giving an offer here for 40K among the below options and I am not able to finalise on what to go for yet
1.Free insurance (17K)
2.VW Finance 6.99% for 36months (20K)
3.AMC (18720)
4.Free accessories (15K)

Any suggestions anyone?
(am tied between 2.+1. OR 1.+3. OR 1.+4.)
Will have to check with Axis and SBI for finance options to compare it with VW finance, tomorrow. Am out of country from wednesday onwards and don't wana miss this opportunity.

IS IT BETTER TO GO FOR VW MP3 player? If yes, 2 DIN or single DIN?
Old 16th August 2011, 08:47   #460
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apatel
That's nice to know fastraj. Congratulations on your POLO RED??

I am located in bangalore and I think costs vary (SURPRISED YOU getin it for 0% - lemme know if there is a trick/idea am missin here )and here trendline comes only in red or white

I am planning to book mine tomorrow. (VW DOWNTOWN SHOWROOM ON MAGRATH ROAD)
I am getting it for 5,43,000 (exshowroom+Roadtax&servicecharge+extended warranty)
VW is giving an offer here for 40K among the below options and I am not able to finalise on what to go for yet
1.Free insurance (17K)
2.VW Finance 6.99% for 36months (20K)
3.AMC (18720)
4.Free accessories (15K)

Any suggestions anyone?
(am tied between 2.+1. OR 1.+3. OR 1.+4.)
Will have to check with Axis and SBI for finance options to compare it with VW finance, tomorrow. Am out of country from wednesday onwards and don't wana miss this opportunity.

IS IT BETTER TO GO FOR VW MP3 player? If yes, 2 DIN or single DIN?
@Apatel please don't go for the free accessories , that's where the dealers profit is. If you are getting the loan from other bank then go for free insurance and free amc along with corporate discount. Btw I saw some confidential papers regarding the 6.99% scheme. According to that VW pays the necessary amount to get to that rate because otherwise the norm is 12.5%. So it's 6.99% for 3 yrs, but the fun part is if you reduce your tenure or amount then the interest rate drops dramatically. That's how I saw mine. I took a loan for 2.5 lakhs for 18 months absolutely interest free Ask the finance guy to show you the finance chart! I don't think so many people are aware of this .0% at this day and age is a blessing! That finalized my polo deal!
fastraj is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th August 2011, 10:50   #461
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by fastraj View Post
@Apatel please don't go for the free accessories , that's where the dealers profit is. If you are getting the loan from other bank then go for free insurance and free amc along with corporate discount. Btw I saw some confidential papers regarding the 6.99% scheme. According to that VW pays the necessary amount to get to that rate because otherwise the norm is 12.5%. So it's 6.99% for 3 yrs, but the fun part is if you reduce your tenure or amount then the interest rate drops dramatically. That's how I saw mine. I took a loan for 2.5 lakhs for 18 months absolutely interest free Ask the finance guy to show you the finance chart! I don't think so many people are aware of this .0% at this day and age is a blessing! That finalized my polo deal!
+1.

Corporate Discount + Free AMC + Insurance from outside - Will be the best deal. If you are not going in for 6.99% or 0%, you may get a further discount or may be an extended warranty, free of cost. Just check - Free extended warranty is also worth it.

I have got my second year Insurance done outside. VW dealer might say that the road side assistance will not be available if we get it done outside. But, road side assistance is not required for today's cars.

AMC / Extended Warranty are the stuff which we any way have to spend money on. It is better to take them as free. All the best!
Chethan B G is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd August 2011, 14:18   #462
BHPian

Thank you chetan and fastraj for your valuable inputs
BTW Chetan could you suggest a few good places for after market accessory sourcing and fitment in bangalore since i see you are from Blr.
I booked the Polo red trendline last thursday
Got a 2 lakh loan for 3 years and 36 months @ 3.53 % interest (fastraj if only i knew of what you shared, i'd have gone for a lesser period! still it is only 11k interest i pay now so something saved is better than nothing as compared to other banks .
free AMC + VW finance charges 20K
I paid up for insurance and extended warranty
Again no accessories yet told him i'll talk about it if needed at time of delivery
he's giving mudflap and a rubber mat free
I feel only thing i need to get from showroom as accessory is parcel tray!! the trendline doesn't have one

am thinking of getting rest from outside...
Old 22nd August 2011, 18:20   #463
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apatel View Post
BTW Chetan could you suggest a few good places for after market accessory sourcing and fitment in bangalore since i see you are from Blr.

I booked the Polo red trendline last thursday

I feel only thing i need to get from showroom as accessory is parcel tray!! the trendline doesn't have one

am thinking of getting rest from outside...
Congratulations!

I get my accessories from a shop called "Junction" which is in Jayanagar 4th block near Coffee Day. Owner's name is Dinesh - Good service.

Parcel tray and Mud flaps are required from the showroom. Go for a 3D Kagu mat and Philip's extreme bulbs for the head lights. They are good.

Details are on my Ownership thread.
Chethan B G is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd August 2011, 19:54   #464
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by H4ck3R View Post
Guys, Read the whole thread almost and other similar ownership threads. I've booked 1.2 trendline as I did not have enough moolah for highline and comfortline were not VFM compared to trendline.

I have some concerns and questions. I hope to get the answers from all POLO owners and experts.

Concerns:
I had planned to Hyundai Accent but my father insisted on POLO. SO I had no other option. I hadn't test driven the POLO or Accent yet. But heard Accent has bigger engine so obviously it would have been a great VFM. anyways, I am trying to get over that. Finally test drove the POLO. As soon as I released the clutch while driving my first question to the SP was "Is it diesel?" He said its petrol. I was like.. what?? The car felt heavily underpowered. I have been driving Original Waogn R (1100 CC) for over 6-7 years now. All I can say is the Wagon R till date has better pickup compared to POLO. Not sure about running in thing.. but I read others also observed the same issue. Is this true? Will this car live up to my expectations. I would like to have a better car compared to my existing one.. in terms of performance at least.
I have an Accent and my dad owns a Polo. To be honest, I was a little disappointed on the highways with the Polo. The feel of the engine responding happily to the Accelerator push is missing in the Polo compared to my Accent 1.6. If you are a spirited driver, Polo might disappoint you here (my opinion).
But once inside the car, I love the Polo over the Accent for everything else - you can feel the solid built body around you and better&new interiors compared to the Accent. And oh boy, the Polo looks are just breathtaking (Again personal view)
Old 22nd August 2011, 20:27   #465
BHPian

On performance front it would not be justified to compare the Polo 1.2 with Accent 1.6. That should be reserved for the Polo 1.6. :-)
Quote:
Originally Posted by singleton View Post
I have an Accent and my dad owns a Polo. To be honest, I was a little disappointed on the highways with the Polo. The feel of the engine responding happily to the Accelerator push is missing in the Polo compared to my Accent 1.6. If you are a spirited driver, Polo might disappoint you here (my opinion).
But once inside the car, I love the Polo over the Accent for everything else - you can feel the solid built body around you and better&new interiors compared to the Accent. And oh boy, the Polo looks are just breathtaking (Again personal view)

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks