BHPian

Re: BMW 3-Series (330i) : Review & Test Drive

Very informative indeed!
I will post pics of my 330i in BHP Garage soon, do take a look
Old 30th August 2011, 20:08   #62
BHPian

Re: BMW 3-Series (330i) : Review & Test Drive : adieu N52B 30

>>>

Adieu to the fantastic N52 B30. We will sense the changed atmosphere when it is not there.

Wikipedia describes it thus :

Its crankcase is made entirely of magnesium and aluminum, a first in the world of engine construction. BMW used Alusil aluminum cylinder sleeves, which offer high heat conductivity, and cast them into a lightweight magnesium block [1], creating one of the lightest production engines of its size class in the world at 161 kg (354 lb). It includes BMW's second generation Valvetronic system and Double-VANOS for fuel-efficiency (12% fuel savings over the previous generation BMW M54 engine - and increases performance). Producing 63 kW (85.5 hp) per liter of displacement, it has the lowest weight per horsepower of any six cylinder engine (1.24 hp per kilogram with the latest version).

It was awarded as one of Ward's 10 Best Engines of the Year in 2006 and 2007. Technologically it is even more advanced than the new N54B30 bi-turbo, which is based on an older M54B30 design and lacks several improvements that BMW has made for this engine.

RIP.

Regards
issigonis is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 16th September 2011, 21:46   #63

I am really surprised that BMW has still not introduced the 3 litre turbo (single turbo twin scroll or the bi-turbo) unit in the 3 series in India.

It is the perfect engine for indian driving conditions. You have all the torque (about 400Nm) available from 1500 rpm so city driving is really easy as the car pulls off very quickly. And get it on an open road and the 300 hp make themselves felt.
Old 10th January 2012, 14:03   #64
BHPian

is the 330i still available in india?

Thanks..
Old 11th January 2012, 00:17   #65
BHPian

i don't understand if the 330i comes with these alloys in the pics of this thread or the M division ones like in this review-
http://www.motorbeam.com/cars/bmw-3-...-drive-review/

can someone confirm??

Thanks..
Old 11th January 2012, 00:50   #66
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Berj79 View Post
i don't understand if the 330i comes with these alloys in the pics of this thread or the M division ones like in this review-
BMW 330i Review Performance Specifications Price | MotorBeam - Indian Car Bike News & Reviews

can someone confirm??

Thanks..
Hey did you speak to Infinity? Also the 330i now comes with the alloys and bumper as shown in the motorbeam review. It used to come with the ones shown here but then BMW decided to differentiate between the 320d exclusive and the 330i visually too.
Akshay1234 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th January 2012, 01:22   #67
BHPian

Note from the Team-BHP Support Staff : Slang and SMS Language are STRICTLY prohibited on Team-BHP. Please type in full and proper English for the benefit of other community members.

We advise you to read the Announcements and Board Rules section before proceeding any further.

Last edited by GTO : 11th January 2012 at 16:26.
Berj79 is offline   Received Infraction
Old 3rd March 2012, 16:40   #68
BHPian

>>>

Is the 3301 still available in India?

The F30 - 328i might be available the moment the F30 is launched in India but, I think one will have to wait for the in line sixes ( will it be the 335i?).

Regards
Old 3rd March 2012, 17:40   #69
BHPian

Guys,
Checked out a 330i , still unregistered with a BMW dealership,so will get it as first owner, done 7000+ Kms , was being asked 31 L ???? It is a FEB 2011 manufacture, so one year warranty still valid..what would be the best offer?? The dealership claims it is not a demo vehicle?? Apparently been used for Auto shows and press exhibits.
Don't know what to make of it..is it worth it?

Any pointers would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Old 3rd March 2012, 17:50   #70
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Zappa View Post
Guys,
Checked out a 330i , still unregistered with a BMW dealership,so will get it as first owner, done 7000+ Kms , was being asked 31 L ???? It is a FEB 2011 manufacture, so one year warranty still valid..what would be the best offer?? The dealership claims it is not a demo vehicle?? Apparently been used for Auto shows and press exhibits.
Don't know what to make of it..is it worth it?

Any pointers would be appreciated.

Thanks,
If its been used for anything related to the press means it would have been ripped, and ripped. They really push the cars. I would avoid just for that, unless you see the car and the condition is perfect. Also only 9l off a new car for a 1 year old press car, that too a 6 cylinder petrol seems a little less. Bargain more off the price. If anything try and get a free BSI including with it, since it is only 1 year old the 5 year BSI will make most sense and then at least you can have peace of mind.
Akshay1234 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 3rd March 2012, 18:31   #71
BHPian

Thanks akshay1234, Have been thinking along similar lines, Checked the undercarriage, engine bay for any tell-a-tale signs of damage, touch up..couldn't find any.. drove it for a few kms ,not a very exhaustive drive and was honestly not too impressed. Been driving my 240 BHP RS and after that the 330i was not lightnening fast..or was I expecting too much?? You driven them all..so where do the two cars stand...If I were to spend the huge amount and then find the rush still missing would be a pity...may be wait for the 2012 328i and go for it . I understand the basic RWD joy and the handling but in practical everyday driving does that count so much? The Octavia VRs with the bilsteins and lowered springs handles quite well on the expressway.

31L is absolutely not happening..I was thinking of like 25L..and the dealership didn't agree as I was asking for complete 2 years warranty from the date of purchase. I don't mind not taking the BSI as my cars do not run more than 7-8000K max a year as I am out of the country a lot.
Guess will play the waiting game. Wonder what the pricing for the 328i or 335i will be??
Old 5th March 2012, 02:07   #72
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Thanks akshay1234, Have been thinking along similar lines, Checked the undercarriage, engine bay for any tell-a-tale signs of damage, touch up..couldn't find any.. drove it for a few kms ,not a very exhaustive drive and was honestly not too impressed. Been driving my 240 BHP RS and after that the 330i was not lightnening fast..or was I expecting too much?? You driven them all..so where do the two cars stand...If I were to spend the huge amount and then find the rush still missing would be a pity...may be wait for the 2012 328i and go for it . I understand the basic RWD joy and the handling but in practical everyday driving does that count so much? The Octavia VRs with the bilsteins and lowered springs handles quite well on the expressway.

31L is absolutely not happening..I was thinking of like 25L..and the dealership didn't agree as I was asking for complete 2 years warranty from the date of purchase. I don't mind not taking the BSI as my cars do not run more than 7-8000K max a year as I am out of the country a lot.
Guess will play the waiting game. Wonder what the pricing for the 328i or 335i will be??
Your 240bhp RS has a turbo, and thats the biggest cause for the rush. Expecting an NA engine to give you that push is wrong. The 330i is anyway an outdated motor, though not to put it down in any way. I haven't driven the 330i but when you read the official review it says that the engine needs to be worked a lot to really feel the power.

Believe me man, RWD is worth it all. Just the feeling of the rear squatting down on acceleration, or the tail sliding out. No matter how much fun an FWD car is those 2 feelings cannot be beaten.

My honest opinion? Leave the 330i unless you get it at the price you quoted. Still I would say, do check out the 320d with the power kit, Infinity has a demo car of that and to be honest I think it would give the 330i a run for its money. It will give you the rush that you want, do try it.

Otherwise wait for the F30 328i, it will be brilliant. That car is quick, and efficient.

Oh BTW for the 330i, why not ask them for 25l + the BSI for 5 years, no need to ask them for any warranty them. You will still have 4 years of BSI left considering the car is 1 year old.
Akshay1234 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th March 2012, 05:00   #73
BHPian

My two cents - I used to own a 240 bhp Octavia RS too. No matter how much money was spent on it, it's still a front wheel drive car with massive torque steer.

The characteristics of a RWD are totally different and if you enjoy driving; get the current 320d with a power kit or wait for the F30 (this should be a choice waiting for in my opinion) !
ecclipse78 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th March 2012, 19:18   #74
BHPian

Thanks for your replies guys,
I see the point you both are making about the RWD. The torque steer is really quite bad on the FWD vehicles as my RS.
I think I shall give the present 330i a skip and wait for the 320d later this year or the 328i. Been checking on the net and there are firms in UK offering a remap on the 2012 320D to bump it up from 177 bhp to 202 bhp with a increase in torque of 40-50nm and that is appreciable. If it would be advisable on a new car and will the transmission withstand this bump in power ???
The other option would be to go for the 328i. Price will be the issue as this will be the top of the line 3 series
Is it true that even the 2012 320D is going to be with the paddle shifters.I have never owned a car with Paddle shifters as I always had a manual shift mindset, but drove a 530D in Qatar recently and the gear shift is awesome. Definitely will go in for a car with paddle shifter.
So looks like a 320d with paddle shifts and remapped would be ticking all the right boxes
Old 5th March 2012, 21:38   #75
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Thanks for your replies guys,
I see the point you both are making about the RWD. The torque steer is really quite bad on the FWD vehicles as my RS.
I think I shall give the present 330i a skip and wait for the 320d later this year or the 328i. Been checking on the net and there are firms in UK offering a remap on the 2012 320D to bump it up from 177 bhp to 202 bhp with a increase in torque of 40-50nm and that is appreciable. If it would be advisable on a new car and will the transmission withstand this bump in power ???
The other option would be to go for the 328i. Price will be the issue as this will be the top of the line 3 series
Is it true that even the 2012 320D is going to be with the paddle shifters.I have never owned a car with Paddle shifters as I always had a manual shift mindset, but drove a 530D in Qatar recently and the gear shift is awesome. Definitely will go in for a car with paddle shifter.
So looks like a 320d with paddle shifts and remapped would be ticking all the right boxes
The present 320d, and the new 320d both have the same engine, which is 184bhp and 380nm of torque. Now BMW themselves have a power kit for the car which includes a remap, intercooler, cooling fan, air ducts, and torque converter for the transmission. Also a performance silencer if you want. All this for about 2l. The power is bumped up to 200+bhp and 420nm+. These are the numbers given by BMW but after driving the car I can safely say those numbers are conservative, it probably is quite a bit more.

The aftermarket remaps claim 220bhp and 450nm and all, but they cannot be compared to the official remap in terms of smoothness and overall reliability. Also the warranty is not affected with the BMW power kit.

That is why I am saying take a TD of the current 3 with the performance pack installed, Infinity has a car with it.

The new 328 will most definitely go over 40l otr Mumbai, and right now you can get a 320D top of the line with the performance pack and 5 year maintenance for less.

Depending on the trims BMW brings to India and what all options, its not possible to predict whether paddle shift will make it or not. But to be honest paddle shift is a novelty, but unless its a supercar its really not used that much. The effect wears off after a few weeks. Paddle shift can also be retrofitted quite easily on the new 3, infact the same demo car I am talking about at Infinity with the power kit also has paddles installed. So it can be assumed it will be as easy to retrofit paddles on the new 3 also.

Have you considered the Superb V6?

Last edited by Akshay1234 : 5th March 2012 at 21:39.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks