Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 26th July 2010, 09:39   #91
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by btirthankar View Post
I noticed that this TDCi was one engine that could give a sports car performance to a car of this dimension.
Oh come on now . As mentioned before, great report, though I don't agree with this statement at all. The Figo's engine has amongst the lowest power outputs from the segment. Zero lag results in excellent driveability, yet on the open road, it's performance is just average. 0 - 100 of 15 seconds is far from sportscar performance.
Old 26th July 2010, 09:52   #92
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Oh come on now . As mentioned before, great report, though I don't agree with this statement at all. The Figo's engine has amongst the lowest power outputs from the segment. Zero lag results in excellent driveability, yet on the open road, it's performance is just average. 0 - 100 of 15 seconds is far from sportscar performance.
I meant it gives me that perception after driving fast sedans like Cedia and BMW 3 series and also the Punto MJD & Swift DDis.

I am actually trying to stress on the driveability part that you just mentioned. Individual satisfaction is a subjective thing.

I had a dismal impression when I first drove the Figo TDCi but the engine was 'tight'. Being a diesel, quick and timely upshifts are imperative and thats how the punch comes on.
Old 28th July 2010, 21:45   #93
BHPian

Storyboard Transcript

FORD FIGO Lxi TDCi
Bought from Victoria Ford, Kolkata Dealership in May 2010. It has been driven 3200 kms so far with a fairly equal mix of City/Highway Driving cycles. Fuel efficiency City: 10-15 kmpl and Highway: 20-30 kmpl.

DECISION
The exterior styling and design of the FIGO is impeccable with a respectable 'Road-Presence'. I decided on the vehicle after taking 8 (eight) test drives in 3 different cities, namely Hyderabad, Mumbai and Kolkata. There was no better option in this segment and beyond.

ENGINE, PERFORMANCE & HANDLING
For the TDCi Engine, amazing would be an understatement. The negligible Turbo-Lag in fact makes it feel overpowered in the city that you need to get used to managing the surge. The Diesel Torque steps up ones adrenalin levels and its razor sharp handling and torque-steer enables you to swerve in and out of obstacles. At 150 kmph the NVH is still bearable and the car does not feel 'running out of breath'. Even with 5 people the vehicle propels up a Fly-Over/uphill in-hesitantly, something which I have not found most of the vehicles I have driven before. Superb Straight Line Stability and Minimal Body roll. The Key to the same is the sharply swooped down rear roof complimenting the aerodynamics and a substantial wheelbase. I have still not been able to 'fish-tail' / 'Drift' the vehicle during U-turns even with stock tires during test drives.

INTERIORS
The interior space and comfort levels are as optimized as possible to the extent that the engineering proves itself in every nook and corner. The Black Theme of dash and seats makes it easy to maintain.

The Plastic’s quality may not be the best among the competition but this is a VFM vehicle, contrived to minimize kerb-weight and enhance usage economics. The interior design and quality is just what is necessary in this fast paced age of short-life-cycle vehicles.

COMFORT & ERGONOMICS
As regards the front seats, I am 5’11” and seat myself 6 hours every-day on an average on a sustained basis devoid of any discomfort.

The front seats are actually engineered to grip the body during C-Curve maneuvers and prevent one from swaying by perfectly contacting the shoulder-plate(s).

It is incredible how FORD has been able to achieve a rear seating experience within such a confined space that challenges even the best-selling sedans of India. With this kind of a compact design, other manufacturers might have arrived at designing a cramped rear.

Suspension is a shade bumpy but in turn maintains the composure of the vehicle. Anything softer and it would compromise safety and with a reduced suspension life.

The HVAC performance is more than adequate and has shielded me from the extreme climatic situations I have been in.

INTERIOR SPACE
The cabin is so very resourceful that I have converted it into a Mobile-Office-cum-Lounge cum-Bedroom with so much space and versatility with towel, air-pillows, tissue paper, soap, hand sanitizer, deo-spray, air-compressor, mini-laptop 10.5", tire inflator, tool-kit, camera, tripod, set of clothes, business stationery, 220V 80 Watt Inverter, Office Automation, Refrigerator, toiletries kit, shoes, first-aid kit, chargers, flip-flop, a large 12" Bass Reflex Box, 4 Channel AMP, 'Ready to Eat' Nitrogen Packed Food and many more.
And yet there is so much space left behind that a Full Size suitcase can fit in addition to 5 Full sized adults.

SERVICE
The FORD Authorized Service Centers have no less 'Industry Best Practices' & Systems in place. Just that the dealers need a little more attention and encouragement from FORD India and be rewarded for the same.

I believe an 'informed owner' need not face issues with Ford Service if he communicates accurately with the Authorized Service Centre. Recently my vehicle’s Radiator Fan failed prematurely and it was promptly replaced on priority basis under warranty. No questions asked and minimal paperwork.

END-NOTES
Every Vehicle Brand has its own merits but what matters us how much engineering and detailing effort that has gone to it. And FORD struck the right chords at the opportune phase when what most hatchbacks aggressively pitch on Fit & Finish, Fuel Efficiency and Resale but compromising on engineering, performance and perfection.

FIGO is the best hatchback available in India as of 2010. Else an erstwhile SUV owner like me would not have gone in for a FIGO. In fact, I personally don't feel like expect anything in addition to what I got for what I paid for.
btirthankar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th July 2010, 23:09   #94
BHPian

I really liked the way you had put up all the pics
Old 25th August 2010, 13:51   #95
Joy
BHPian

Great storyboard review. Liked it.

Now that you have driven plenty of KM's, can you please give an insight about:
a) FE ?
b) ASS?
c) Cost of ownership ?

Thanks in advance.
Old 25th August 2010, 14:02   #96
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joy View Post
Great storyboard review. Liked it.

Now that you have driven plenty of KM's, can you please give an insight about:
a) FE ?
b) ASS?
c) Cost of ownership ?
I have driven 5000 Kms so far.

a) FE =
worst 9 kmpl (not the average user cycle)
best 30 kmpl (80kmph with AC with no significant halts)
highways guaranteed 20 kmpl
city 15 kmpl if AC used moderately

b) After Sales = So far have got good After-Sales and quick service attendance.

c) Cost of ownership [does not appear to nag but overall TCO will depend on future resale value]

Last edited by btirthankar : 25th August 2010 at 14:03.
Old 25th August 2010, 14:57   #97
Joy
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by btirthankar View Post
c) Cost of ownership [does not appear to nag but overall TCO will depend on future resale value]
Thanks for the info. Basically, I am contemplating between Chevy Beat (if petrol) and Ford Figo (if diesel).

Can you please tell me what do you think about the cost of spares in Figo compared to industry standards.
Old 12th October 2010, 06:56   #98
BHPian

Its been 5 months with the FIGO now and some 9000 kms. The more I drive it, the more I am liking it. Here is my latest trip from Kolkata to Guwahati http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/travel...-guwahati.html

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joy View Post
Thanks for the info. Basically, I am contemplating between Chevy Beat (if petrol) and Ford Figo (if diesel).

Can you please tell me what do you think about the cost of spares in Figo compared to industry standards.
The Chevy Beat is a nice car but the tall boy design may not give excellent handling dynamics, if you are looking for spirited driving. Else I admire it quite very much. Plus there is no diesel variant.

FIGO's spares are reasonably priced. They have the child-parts classification which helps reduce replacement costs.
Old 20th October 2010, 13:52   #99
BHPian

Hi tirthankar ,
Got an idea .
Why not go for a carbon fibre vinyl for the centre console?
The black looks a bit plane Jane
Old 20th October 2010, 14:16   #100
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shk 8896 View Post
i felt the black centre console of Lxi better looking than the silver coloured one, and i've asked my dealer to remove the silver one from my soon to be delivered Figo Exi...
and he's charging Rs.2000 for that so called downgrade
Old 20th October 2010, 14:40   #101
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daewood View Post
i felt the black centre console of Lxi better looking than the silver coloured one, and i've asked my dealer to remove the silver one from my soon to be delivered Figo Exi...
Congrats man .Which color ?TDCI or Duratec petrol ?
Old 20th October 2010, 19:36   #102
BHPian

@btirthankar
just went through the entire thread, really engaging to read and really nice pics.
love the alloys on your car, really gel with the car.
amazing is what you have done with your cars interiors.
really creative and seems very convenient, one could really grab some ideas from your work.
keep up the good work.
Old 20th October 2010, 19:53   #103
BHPian

Further Impressions of FIGOttitude

Quote:
Originally Posted by superboy44 View Post
@btirthankar
just went through the entire thread, really engaging to read and really nice pics. love the alloys on your car, really gel with the car.
amazing is what you have done with your cars interiors.
really creative and seems very convenient, one could really grab some ideas from your work. keep up the good work.
Many Thanks. My FIGO is my heart and soul. I have put my everything to it. Its a part of me, my identity, my personality, my attitude, my obsession.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shk 8896 View Post
Hi tirthankar ,
Got an idea .
The black looks a bit plane Jane
I would not spend anything more now. Only Diesel and lubricant changes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daewood View Post
I also preferred entire black and hence settled for Lxi.

Further Impressions of FIGOttitude

I still am ok with the manual windows but the Xenos Central Locking is irritating and is a key-trap somewhat.

I am extremely satisfied with the vehicle performance, handling and ergonomics and donot miss the Innova that I had before.

Infact whenever I see a 3 box car nowadays, the boot seems to appear vestigial to me.

This is indeed the age of the small car as parking lots are shrinking and cities over congested. For a Intercity-Trotter and address-hunter like me, FIGO seems to be a boon.

Given my driving style, both my FIGO and Innova returns same miles per litre in city conditions. On Highways, its different however. The worst I have ever got on Highways in FIGO is 14.5 kmpl with spirited driving.

The vehicle received so many underbody hits on crater filled roads but no critical damage has emerged. Even the wheel alignment did not go out of calibration. Visuals of a recent trip: http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/travel...-guwahati.html

As of now no other car excites me as much. Not even the Fortuner.

Nowadays, I see a lot of FIGOs at Guwahati. The recent service experience at TI Ford has been pleasant. Vehicle has crossed 9300 kms, but I got the second service done.
Attached Thumbnails
Got FIGOttitude?-101msdcf1.jpg  

Last edited by btirthankar : 20th October 2010 at 20:01. Reason: added content
Old 20th October 2010, 21:15   #104
BHPian

Easily one of the best reviews here.Great creativity too.
Red and black combination is my favorite.Your car is a complete drool material.
Very Hottt!!
I think long and hard but still come up with only half-baked reviews.
Planning to outsource my next ownership report. Any takers?
Old 20th October 2010, 23:08   #105
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rock18 View Post
Easily one of the best reviews here.Great creativity too.
Red and black combination is my favorite.Your car is a complete drool material.
Very Hottt!!
I think long and hard but still come up with only half-baked reviews.
Planning to outsource my next ownership report. Any takers?
Thanks. The whole thing took me a month almost.

There are many in this forum of who would stampede to take up such assignment like yours, not the least myself.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks