Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 9th August 2010, 15:58   #61
BHPian

Racechip impressions

Finally installed the racechip but with a quite conservative setup. I want to give it a try over 1-2 K kms before moving to more aggressive setup. The installation itself was fairly quick by myself and without much pain (Q7 toolkit does not contains a spanner set so had to buy a Rs 500 one).

In a nutshell not much difference below 100 kmph. I guess it might have shaved off about 0.5 secs from the 0-100 timings but not much. However the difference becomes clearer as you move higher into triple digits. Those speeds turn up much earlier.

As of now I have set the chip to be somewhere less than midway between min and max tuning. With more aggressive tuning the numbers could possibly become better. A hint of turbo lag still exists though a bit better than without the chip. As of now some approximate numbers are:

0-100 6.x secs
0-130 10.x secs
0-160 15.x secs
0-200 25.x secs

These were with a driver and co-driver of moderately heavy builds.
Old 9th August 2010, 21:34   #62
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by entropy View Post
Finally installed the racechip but with a quite conservative setup. I want to give it a try over 1-2 K kms before moving to more aggressive setup. The installation itself was fairly quick by myself and without much pain (Q7 toolkit does not contains a spanner set so had to buy a Rs 500 one).

In a nutshell not much difference below 100 kmph. I guess it might have shaved off about 0.5 secs from the 0-100 timings but not much. However the difference becomes clearer as you move higher into triple digits. Those speeds turn up much earlier.

As of now I have set the chip to be somewhere less than midway between min and max tuning. With more aggressive tuning the numbers could possibly become better. A hint of turbo lag still exists though a bit better than without the chip. As of now some approximate numbers are:

0-100 6.x secs
0-130 10.x secs
0-160 15.x secs
0-200 25.x secs

These were with a driver and co-driver of moderately heavy builds.
0.5 secs off the 0-100kph timings. N.I.C.E !
The site claims numbers of 6.4secs to 100 for the 4.2 TDI ....assuming it to take around lets say 6.8/9 secs realistically in our conditions/roads, without the chip , it still means a realistic timing of around 6.3secs to the century mark with the chip in there. Insane man.
& 160 in 15 odd secs for that crazy beast !! drool
Old 10th August 2010, 16:56   #63
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
As promised here are some of the exterior pics.
Sweet! Audi really know their interiors, wot? Evil exteriors too (in a Gangsta "get out of my way" way).

Quote:
0-100 6.x secs
0-130 10.x secs
0-160 15.x secs
0-200 25.x secs
0 - 100 in 6.x seconds on such a heavy SUV is sweet. You need to buy yourself a G-tech Pro (or similar). And please time without co-passengers!

How many kms up? Running in complete?
Old 11th August 2010, 11:20   #64
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PlatzdaTurbo View Post
0.5 secs off the 0-100kph timings. N.I.C.E !
... 160 in 15 odd secs for that crazy beast !! drool
Actually I'm not very sure about 0.5 sec part as I really do not have an accurate timing device. But it looked like that from coarse stopwatch measurement. About 15 odd secs for 160 kmph - yes this is what I really like too and "paisa vasool" part of the 4.2 TDI.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
0 - 100 in 6.x seconds on such a heavy SUV is sweet. You need to buy yourself a G-tech Pro (or similar). And please time without co-passengers!
How many kms up? Running in complete?
Thanks GTO for changing the title of this thread. Also many thanks for the tip on G-Tech. I was looking for something like this and have already ordered now G-Tech Pro SS. Total hit is about 13K including shipping/handling. Will post the accurate figures once I get the device and this time without co-driver .

I installed the chip as soon as 1300 kms were done. I guess that was the run-in period. On average I plan to clock about 1200 kms every month on this Q7. Odo now stands at just above 2K.
Old 11th August 2010, 13:51   #65
Senior - BHPian

Absolutely stunning piece of machinery. I first saw the Q7 when I was in London. And absolutely fell in love with it.

They are now selling extremely well and there a couple of them in Agra too. A close friend also has it BUT I have never had the chance of sitting in one as his father uses it most of the time.

Easily THE SUV as someone said previously.
Old 9th September 2010, 20:22   #66
BHPian

entropy , dude that has to be one of the hunkiest machines in the country. The facelift somehow looks more stunning in black than the older q7. Its simply STUNNING !!

Has the dealer indicated anything about tyre life for this new spec'ed q7 ?

congratulations on the "beast" . hopefully i will know what it feels like to own one within the next decade !
Old 10th September 2010, 16:28   #67
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Will post the accurate figures once I get the device and this time without co-driver
Remember to time it on a low tank of diesel & with the right air pressure too. Best done early morning or late evening (when its cool). The Q7 has a large fuel tank; that can make a difference to your times.
Old 11th September 2010, 23:15   #68
BHPian

I haven't covered many kms in last couple of weeks due to some work pressure. However took some time off to time this Q7 with and without the racechip and using G-Tech Pro that I got few weeks back.

I'll post the graphs later but in a nutshell there isn't ANY significant difference in drag times whatever tuning of the two knobs (on the chip box) I do. The difference in 0-100 is within statistical variation and 0-160 is about 0.5 faster on average with chip. Hence I'm thinking to do without a chip as it hardly makes a difference that numbers can prove. Now I wonder what these race-chip folks are selling

Also co-driver or not - there is hardly any difference in 0-100 times. I guess 80 kg additional weight is just a small variation when you consider 2500 kg base weight. (expected difference about 3% going by F = m.a)
Old 13th September 2010, 00:52   #69
BHPian

Those are amazing numbers after chipping it man. Do drive safe. Is there a specific requirement on the fuel quality when using the chip?
Old 13th September 2010, 09:18   #70
Senior - BHPian

Before taking the final decision on the chip, I would suggest checking the performance first with Shell fuel and then checking on the Dyno. BTW with the chip are you seeing any change in Fuel consumption figures?
Old 13th September 2010, 12:07   #71
BHPian

G-tech graphs

Ok. Here are some graphs to compare the real world performance with and without the race-chip. First graph is speed vs time. The second one is G vs time. About individual lines:

First one (Black color line) is without any chipping.
Driver and co-driver. About 20 ltrs of fuel.

Second one (red color line) is with chip (5 notches below max).
Driver and co-driver. About 20 ltrs of fuel.

Third one (green color line) is with chip (8 notches below max).
Driver and co-driver and lots of luggage. About 30 ltrs of fuel.

As you can see there is not a significant difference whether I use a chip or not.
Got my black beast - Q7 4.2 TDI! EDIT : Now with a RaceChip (pg. 5)-vvstaudiq742.jpg

When you look at G's the high's are higher with the chip but also the lows are also lower.
Got my black beast - Q7 4.2 TDI! EDIT : Now with a RaceChip (pg. 5)-gvstaudiq742.jpg

I can also post the BHP vs Time figure if anyone is interested. Fuel consumption for the second run was really bad and during drags I think I was getting about 1 kmpl :-). For moderate driving however the difference is not much though the consumption increases somewhat with the chip.

May be I'll just keep it there with a moderate boost setup if that means anything. All in all not very satisfied with the racechip. My earlier chips (chipexpress one's) seemed better but alas they don't have a chip for 250kW Q7.
Old 14th September 2010, 14:35   #72
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
I'll post the graphs later but in a nutshell there isn't ANY significant difference in drag times whatever tuning of the two knobs (on the chip box) I do.
Either racechip isn't worth it or the Q7 is running in top tune from the factory itself. I've seen what these power boxes (no experience with racechip) do to regular hatchbacks & sedans and am, honestly, very surprised.

Well, good thing is, your 4.2 TDI is F-A-S-T in stock form anyways
Old 14th September 2010, 16:26   #73
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Either racechip isn't worth it or the Q7 is running in top tune from the factory itself. I've seen what these power boxes (no experience with racechip) do to regular hatchbacks & sedans and am, honestly, very surprised.

Well, good thing is, your 4.2 TDI is F-A-S-T in stock form anyways
Yes that's my conclusion too GTO. Either ways perhaps no point in keeping the racechip but since I have bought it I'll just let it be there. About the F-A-S-T part sadly not as fast as I would have liked (as advertised by Audi).

Anyways I have started saving for something fast and practical for next year's excitement.

Last edited by entropy : 14th September 2010 at 16:27.
Old 18th November 2010, 13:31   #74
BHPian

Showroom | ABT Sportsline | Audi Q7 | Q7 Facelift 4L9 | Engine Technology | abt-sportsline.co.uk

This should make a nice difference.
Old 6th December 2010, 10:11   #75
Distinguished - BHPian

Entropy, what do you think the resale of a 2009 4.2tdi driven 34,000kms?
Also I remember you mentioning there was a special introductory price for the 4.2, how much was the ex-show? HAve the prices been hiked since?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks