Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 1st August 2010, 22:35   #1
BHPian

Fiat Linea MJD Emotion Pk - Ownership Experience: 2010 (Fresh from the oven!)

Sometimes, the things you hate/dislike the most, become a precious part of your life. So was the case with my wife (!) and now the Fiat Linea…

The story with the wife goes like this – We were classmates in college and she disliked me in the 1st year as I was pompous, an MCP and god knows what else! (her view); and by the 4th year we were seeing each other and have stuck to one another since then

The Fiat Linea – she was my ex-boss’ companion and I hated the car as much I did the boss, the vibes for the car stemming purely from the fact that my boss tortured me so much that a Linea reminded me of her rather than anything else.

I have moved on since then, and not long before started contemplating a new car. I have a Swift VDI(ABS), purchased after a thorough research on teambhp in 2007. But the car was bought on a loan with an ROI of 14.11% and I reasoned I could afford a new 3 box with that kind of EMI and what with current rates hovering at 9.75%.

The shortlist was Dzire and the Manza.

What Car?
Started reading teambhp and brand websites, and requested for test drives on the website. The fastest to respond was Tata Motors; within 24 hours the test car was at my doorstep.

Was satisfied with the drive, although similar pain points as others in the forum had pointed out – poor interior plastics, gear slotting not precise, etc etc; I was ready to live with the glitches as the only other option would have meant a 3-5 month waiting time.

Disappointed with Maruti, with whose A$$ from dealer as well as corporate has been excellent till today – No test car, no dealer calls – nothing.

The tryst with the Linea came about when I went to Autolinks to negotiate the price for the Manza. The dealer had taken up selling Fiat only recently and there she was all grand and new, the Linea in Blue (later realizing the shade was Fox Trot Azure! – amazing description, always imagine some lone guy in the mktg agency spending sleepless nights & loads of coffee with dictionary and online word generators to come up with fancy name for these shades!)

I was still apprehensive of buying this car with all my perceptions still flowing in the negative side – I had vowed to my wife that we will never own a Linea! Even then, started reading about the ownership experiences on the forum and the amount of concerns on the A$$ and the poor build of the initial lot of ’09 Lineas had me wondering!

But a TD later, was swayed by the oomph factor of the car! And decided on the Fiat Linea MJD Emotion Pack.

Positives
1. The design and package – excellent for this side of 10Lakhs: the grill, headlights, smooth lines, the key fob (drool! drool!)
2. The doors open wide with a 2/3 stage opening
3. Seating position was comfortable for me (5.8”tall & 85kgs of mass)
4. The steering wheel is ergonomically brilliant
5. Blue&Me: This was not a new thing for me as I had the Blaupaunkt Hamburg installed on my Swift which with a similar arrangement of Bluetooth enabled handsfree embedded in the system.
6. The boot was spacious

Negatives (or rather put-offs)
1. The central console looked dull, squarish design
2. The stalks – it’s the opposite of the Swift!
3. The rear arm rest is flimsy -with a 5yr old kid who occupies the rear, I doubt its going to last even a couple of days.
4. Head room is thin

The next step was dealer hopping, as I wanted (1) the best deal and more importantly (2) latest manufactured model. Since I was new to Delhi, I had no background or pre-conceived notions about any dealer. I approached
1. Rama Motors, Okhla (I read in the forums that the owner was a member here)
2. Autolinks, Hauz Khas
3. ABS Motors, Gurgaon
4. Techno Auto, Dwarka

Will write about each of my dealer experiences in the next post…
Old 1st August 2010, 23:42   #2
Senior - BHPian

Congratulations on your purchase, and I liked the way you are telling your story, makes for a good read.

The car you've chosen is the best in it's segment (yes, even better than the City in my opinion, with only the Fiesta in it's petrol avatar being dynamically comparable). Well done.
Old 1st August 2010, 23:55   #3
BHPian

Dear Ceebeezee, Congratulations on your Linea E Pack purchase. Wishing you happy motoring miles.

The car will grow on you, and the retuned diesel should be really really cool. My Linea MJD Emotion, completed one year yesterday at 21890 KMs.

I have been to the (Concorde Motors, Diary Circle, Bangalore) a few times, and so far so great. They have been very prompt and amazing in their attitude and response. Whatever complaints i have been to have been attended to cleanly and at no cost.
Old 2nd August 2010, 02:33   #4
J.Ravi

Congratulations and best wishes, ceebeezee, on becoming a proud owner of a precious automobile. I wish you a happy and safe motoring in your Fiat Linea.

Old 2nd August 2010, 10:26   #5
BHPian

congrats.. i to0 have booked a fiat linea MJD E+ in tuscan wine. will be getting in next 2 days. what colour did you buy?
Old 2nd August 2010, 10:33   #6
Senior - BHPian

Congrats ceebeezee,

Welcome to Fiat Linea Club.
Post some snaps too...

Enjoy and Drive Safe
Old 2nd August 2010, 10:41   #7
BHPian

Congrats! When are the pics coming?
Old 2nd August 2010, 11:08   #8
Distinguished - BHPian

Congrats on the Linea. Nicely described there. Do enjoy many more miles with the Linea.

Do post the pics of the car
Old 2nd August 2010, 11:10   #9
Senior - BHPian

Congratulations ceebeezee on your new buy! Do upload the pictures of your beauty!

Drive her safe! Happy and safe motoring!

Regards
Amith
Old 2nd August 2010, 11:44   #10
BHPian

Hi all,
The car order has not been officially punched in the delaers sytem yet.

My loan from HDFC has been approved but no one picking the call today for taking it forward.

The car has already come in the stockyard at ABS motors, Gurgaon - guess it came on Fri last; but the sales guys may have wanted to forward the sales to Aug (!).

The cost of the car (DL regn from Gurgaon dealer) is 9k more than what it would cost me from a Delhi dealer, but the only hitch is no one else has the color I want except ABS, Gurgaon - Bossa Nova White.

I am still negotiating with Autolinks, Hauz Khas - who tried to palm me with a demo car! - That's a separate story!

Will post the dealer experiences maybe tonight or tomorrow - Thats also an interesting tale...
Old 2nd August 2010, 13:18   #11
BHPian

certainly do need your help with dealer exp! looking at the same car right now! thanks in anticipation
Old 2nd August 2010, 13:32   #12
BHPian

Congratulations on your new car! By the way is MCP a Microsoft Certified Professional?

Can you please post the OTR price of the car?
Old 2nd August 2010, 13:41   #13
BHPian

^ no!

yes, please post the deal too
Old 2nd August 2010, 14:03   #14
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ceebeezee View Post
who tried to palm me with a demo car! - That's a separate story!
Would be intesting to know
Old 2nd August 2010, 14:47   #15
BHPian

Hey

Congrats first and I too am interested in the Linea/Fiesta petrol since basically sick of waiting for Polo and saved some extra dough .

I have 2 questions:
1) After going through various posts on T-BHP it looks like Fiat parts wear off/fall off very quickly (headlights blacked out, coolant pipe came off, ACC draining etc.) is the story same or has it improved. How did you tide over that fear?

2) Spares take too much time to arrive, I know I am being paranoid but few things like simple indicator replacement took many weeks for people on T-BHP so a bit worried over it, any improvements on the same would be good to know

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks