Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 12th March 2011, 23:13   #181
Senior - BHPian

Re: The march of the Black Queen (my new Honda Civic 1.8V in Black)

Unnecessary revving is best avoided, be it any car and sedate driving always yields into better FE. With my normal driving style within city, I manage to extract the same FE as reported by you guys. But my itch is just not controllable whenever I see deserted highways and freeways. FE be damned in those cases, I have hit rev limiter for 1st four gears many times in my Civic.
Old 13th March 2011, 01:15   #182
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by spadix View Post
4. Normal driving with increased planning/anticipation to avoid braking - This is what I'm doing now
Similar to what I do. With the occasional redline
And I've consistently logged 12 to 13kmpl all through the cool (zero AC) months.
Old 31st March 2011, 19:43   #183
Senior - BHPian

8 months up (to the day)

Today I took BQ out for a spin on the newly constructed ORR Phase 2A. It's been a really long time since BQ stretched her legs or hit the ORR, and I missed the team bus to attend an outing .

BQ was also really mad at me for missing out on a blast of a TBHP-Hyd drive meet last weekend. So I very conveniently missed the exit on the ORR that would lead to the place where the outing was on. It also helps that there are no U-turns on the expressway. One must use the system of ramps, round-abouts and interchanges. Not all of these are complete, and I knew one which would be. So I drove on for nearly 40 kms more.

I was a little disappointed that I couldn't cross Sachin's highest ODI score :(. I came to 99% of it (and aided by a down-slope at that) and had to back off as I made out a group of stationary vehicles in the distance, near one of the exits. I wonder if wind or tyres were holding the car back a bit, or if the car's mechanicals are already too old (at ~11650 kms then) to make the advertised number.

Regards,
spadix
Old 31st March 2011, 19:51   #184
dot
Senior - BHPian

Re: 8 months up (to the day)

Quote:
or if the car's mechanicals are already too old (at ~11650 kms then) to make the advertised number.
Wow, how much did you achieve. At 11.6k kilometers (7k miles) the Civic would be considered in its baby stages in terms of car age.
Old 31st March 2011, 20:53   #185
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dot View Post
Wow, how much did you achieve. At 11.6k kilometers (7k miles) the Civic would be considered in its baby stages in terms of car age.
99% of Sachin's best ODI score is 198!

My best is 209 kmph on my Uncle's Civic but that was 3 years ago! Now I am wiser () and love to cruise most of the times with occasional blasts with momentary 170-180 on empty straights if I find any.
Old 31st March 2011, 22:15   #186
Senior - BHPian

@dot: I'm trying not to directly quote numbers lest I fall foul of forum norms (not that I think I'm doing any better to the common cause via the indirect route).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ace F355 View Post
My best is 209 kmph on my Uncle's Civic but that was 3 years ago! Now I am wiser () and love to cruise most of the times with occasional blasts with momentary 170-180 on empty straights if I find any.
The "momentary" figures you quoted are actually too much for me most of the time . Today was planned because I knew the road would be empty. It was almost noon, no clouds/pollution nearby so near-perfect visibility and zero traffic. Still, the risk is only minimized and never vanishes.

Regards,
spadix

Last edited by spadix : 31st March 2011 at 22:16.
Old 1st April 2011, 01:34   #187
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I wonder if wind or tyres were holding the car back a bit
Which gear were you in?
Old 1st April 2011, 11:12   #188
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shuvc View Post
Which gear were you in?
I was in 5th, and attempted to "redline" in 5th rather than redlining in 4th and then shifting up.

Regards,
spadix
Old 1st April 2011, 15:19   #189
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
I was in 5th, and attempted to "redline" in 5th rather than redlining in 4th and then shifting up.

Regards,
spadix
Thats your mistake. If you had redlined in 4th you would have easily crossed your mark. Redlining in 5th would probably be over 220
Old 1st April 2011, 18:40   #190
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay1234 View Post
Thats your mistake. If you had redlined in 4th you would have easily crossed your mark. Redlining in 5th would probably be over 220
Oh yeah.

The manual tranny version does nearly 40 kmph (on the speedo) per 1k RPM in 5th. The red line is at 6.8k RPM as marked on the tacho, which would be more than 270 in 5th . But the 6.8k red line is only for gears 1, 2 and possibly 3. There's no way one can reach that mark in gears 4 and 5. That's also why I quoted "red line" in the context of the 5th .

I know conventional wisdom says to red line through each gear. Still, I thought the car might not need the momentum through the gears to hit the advertised maximum.

Regards,
spadix
Old 8th May 2011, 20:39   #191
Senior - BHPian

A small milestone

This is from around two weeks back -

The march of the Black Queen (my new Honda Civic 1.8V in Black)-dsc_0750.jpg

A couple of days after that, BQ went on a holiday to Goa.

Regards,
spadix
Old 8th May 2011, 22:01   #192
dot
Senior - BHPian

Hey, nice set of numbers. Were you looking out for that event to occur or it just happened and you were there to take the picture. Nevertheless a picture worth remembering.
Old 8th May 2011, 23:38   #193
Senior - BHPian

BQ is going strong on chewing miles! Nice pic for keeping memories.

How about a photo shoot of her! ORR could make up for a nice open background for the same!
Old 9th May 2011, 03:38   #194
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
But the 6.8k red line is only for gears 1, 2 and possibly 3. There's no way one can reach that mark in gears 4 and 5
It's possible in 4th. Bounces off the limiter. From personal experience
Old 9th May 2011, 15:21   #195
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dot View Post
Were you looking out for that event to occur or it just happened and you were there to take the picture.
Thanks, dot! I noticed 1232x and then waited for it. By my calculations, it was to happen on my daily commute on an empty stretch of road so I could just keep my eye on the odo and watch the numbers roll by. There was a little bit of a detour a day before and so it came up just at the beginning of that empty stretch (rather than well into it). I still had enough space to pull over and take the picture, luckily.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ace F355 View Post
BQ is going strong on chewing miles! Nice pic for keeping memories.

How about a photo shoot of her! ORR could make up for a nice open background for the same!
Thanks, man!

Yeah - I should take BQ out on to the ORR once after a good wash and do a photo-shoot. Right now, stopping on the ORR is prohibited but not enforced at all, so the opportunity still exists. The biggest problem, though, is that BQ gets a thick layer of dust as soon as I pull out of my home. The approach road to the apartment is currently a muddy, slushy dirt track. It's been like that ever since BQ came home (was fine before that ). That discourages me from taking pictures. Else the ORR or ISB campus are excellent places for a photo-shoot.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shuvc View Post
It's possible in 4th. Bounces off the limiter. From personal experience
I should try that out.

Photo-shoot + redline attempt redux on the ORR, coming soon to a forum post near you, eh?

Regards,
spadix

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks