Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 13th August 2011, 22:44   #31
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Ritz VDi 8000kms Report

Quote:
Originally Posted by salunkhe.vizz View Post
15 is understandable, but i never get anything beyond 17 even on highways. I usually drive at very high rpm's on the highway, for good acceleration and overtaking - is that the culprit ?
Quote:
Originally Posted by sachinj12 View Post
25kmpl with AC on? You ain't kidding me,are you?

IIRC, you own a Dzire, you too get such figures? As I stated earlier, the best I have managed is 20.5 without AC and on a recent trip 18.5kmpl with 100% AC,fan at 3.

I think the city travel eats away whatever fuel is saved on the highway run. I would be happy if I can add a kmpl or two for the existing figures.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sachinj12 View Post
You guys are really scaring me. Not that I am unhappy with my FE,but when others with the same engine can manage much better than mine, I definitely would like to know. I know driving style determines the FE, but will it affect so much that a difference of 4kmpl is seen? My driving is sedate and moderately aggressive.
Ok. I will elaborate what I do, not sure it can help you or not. I own a Swift VDi as well. So please keep that in mind.

1. I fill fuel from COCO pump and fill normal diesel. I fill mostly just before the journey [in the night] or n the early morning of the day of travel [6 AM - 7 AM]

2. I keep the tyre pressure 2 psi extra than factory mentioned. This increases the bounciness, but mostly I drive alone and it doesn't matter. higher psi also helps in reduced heat on the tyres & hence improve mileage.

3. I drive sedately upshifting early [around 1500-2000 rpm max unless I red line the car a couple of time in 1 & 2 gears].

4. Usually I have hardly any luggage except for the ICE which includes a 12" sub & amp too - so add that weight to the car always.

5. I always make sure I don't brake hard or accelerate hard. I still end up hard braking max 1 or 2 times on an average in every journey accounting to 600 kms.

6. I take coffee breaks every 2.5 hours for 5-10 mins and some additional 1 min breaks as required in between.

7. Out of these journeys, around 400 kms is AWESOME toll roads and rest 200 consists of average to bad roads & ghat sections which ensure you have to brake much more and got to shift the gears to keep the car under control along the corners. I still manage a 23 kmpl - so I always wondered how much would have I got if the rest 200 kms also were superb ! The 25 kmpl I managed was just once or twice since its a pain to drive in that mode [60-80 kmph]

8. Since I am mostly alone and the Swift's A/C is a bone chiller, I switch it off once I starts shivering and switches it on back once its warm again - hence the 80% calculation. The windows are always rolled up thru out the journey.

9. If you think that 25 is insane, I have met a lot of people who claim a 26 kmpl regular, may be with A/C off.

10. I have managed a mere 15 kmpl also on great roads [with A/C off] at times owing to the spirited driving + curves + more braking. So its all about the driving style.

11. In not so bumper to bumper Bangy city traffic, I manage a 16.xx kmpl with A/C & 17.xx without A/C, sometimes I drive spirited.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPARKled View Post
Very high RPMs means are you always above 3-3.5k rpm? if it is so, then it is not very good for good mileage. I say above 3-3.5k, coz at around 100-120 kmph the car is around 3-3.5k on the tacho while 2k is around 80+ kmph. 100-120 kmph on a Ritz will easily give you 20 kmpl if not more.
3-3.5K rpm on 5th gear means you are easily above 140 kmph+ . Swift D at 100 kmph = 2200 rpm. I have hardly used the 3.5 rpm on 5th gear in my close to 3 years of ownership.

Quote:
The regular bill for 4th service (20,000kms) is around 8-9k, i had to pay extra for brake pads and carbon cleaning.
8-9K is still on the HIGHER side. I on an average pay 6-6.5K for my Swift D for the 20K service intervals and I was told that even this is on the higher side, by some Swift D owners in the forum. I do intercooler cleaning as well on every 20K kms.

Last edited by swiftnfurious : 13th August 2011 at 22:52.
swiftnfurious is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th August 2011, 12:27   #32
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by swiftnfurious View Post

3-3.5K rpm on 5th gear means you are easily above 140 kmph+ . Swift D at 100 kmph = 2200 rpm. I have hardly used the 3.5 rpm on 5th gear in my close to 3 years of ownership.

Thanks for correcting me. I am at 100 at around 2.3K rpm and around 130+ at around 3k.
Old 24th February 2012, 07:48   #33
BHPian

Got my 5th Service at 28,000 kms last week (Intervals: 1k - 5k - 10k - 18k - 28k). The total damage was 3330/- , which included engine oil change, brake cleaning, servicing, etc (840 for the service was free as i had a service coupon, and apart from that the bill was 3330)

There is a strange noise coming from the engine post this 5th service, it sounds like an aeroplane engine noise over and above the normal engine noise. I am guessing its the radiator fan. The noise comes only when engine is above 2k rpm on higher gears, and surprisingly my friend with a Vista diesel (same fiat engine) has been having the same noise since his 4th/5th service as well.

Anyone else facing this issue ?
salunkhe.vizz is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th February 2012, 08:41   #34
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Got my 5th Service at 28,000 kms last week (Intervals: 1k - 5k - 10k - 18k - 28k). The total damage was 3330/- , which included engine oil change, brake cleaning, servicing, etc (840 for the service was free as i had a service coupon, and apart from that the bill was 3330)

There is a strange noise coming from the engine post this 5th service, it sounds like an aeroplane engine noise over and above the normal engine noise. I am guessing its the radiator fan. The noise comes only when engine is above 2k rpm on higher gears, and surprisingly my friend with a Vista diesel (same fiat engine) has been having the same noise since his 4th/5th service as well.

Anyone else facing this issue ?
Where did you get the servicing done from?
The noise could be the turbo whine esp as it is coming above 2000 rpm.
Old 24th February 2012, 09:12   #35
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by goandude View Post
Where did you get the servicing done from?
The noise could be the turbo whine esp as it is coming above 2000 rpm.
- I have been servicing both my ex & current Maruti car at POWAI AUTO WORKS, find them really good at what they do (albeit slightly expensive - but worth the money spent)

- Does the turbo whine sound like a jet engine when you are sitting on a seat next to the airplane wings ? And why did it start only now after 28k kms - is there any fix ?
Old 24th February 2012, 09:56   #36
Senior - BHPian

The turbine in the car turbo and the aircraft engine work in the same way and also sound the same. Of course, the car turbo is much smaller and the sound is also softer but it is there. I could hear the whine in my car from day one, but why yours has become louder after 28 k service, beats me.
Old 24th February 2012, 10:12   #37
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Does the turbo whine sound like a jet engine when you are sitting on a seat next to the airplane wings ? And why did it start only now after 28k kms - is there any fix ?

I feel that some sound insulation material of the engine / turbo unit / passenger cabin might have been disturbed by the service centre people, and not restored back to position after the servicing. If this is so, you are lucky, as it can be quickly fixed back by them.
Old 12th March 2012, 21:55   #38
BHPian

Finally got time today to show the car back at the workshop (Powai Auto). The attendant took a test drive and diagnosed it was a tyre bearing problem - bearings had worn out causing that sound. I stood my ground to argue that the sound started only post service and was never heard before.

From nowhere the owner of the workshop turned up and asked details from the attendant. I saw him noticing the team-bhp stickers on the car. He finally decided to get the work done for free (free replacements under warranty) as the bearings should normally last 40k kms or 2 yrs (warranty period).

The overall work was good as always - and car handed back to me in 4 hours. But the obvious questions haunting me are :

- Did they replace my original bearings with old ones (from maybe another car getting the same replaced) during my service, especially since I am usually a high spending customer.

- Why was the fact that this is covered under warranty not quoted earlier and I was being asked to pay up (attendant knew that car was less then 2 yrs old - I told him during trial run)

- Does a customer have to stand his ground and argue for the owner to walk in and "offer" warranty instead of paid repairs, shouldn't that be proposed to a layman customer who does not know what all parts maybe covered under warranty ?

I have been going to these guys for both my old swift and current ritz - and find their service quality immaculate. Others like Sai Service and Spectra also try to upsell unwanted services like these guys, but they can never match up to the level of service.

Since this was my first weird incident here since 2008 - I will give them another chance (for lack of better alternatives). But if any of you have experienced or heard about similar malpractices in Powai Auto - plz do let me know !
Old 24th March 2012, 11:11   #39
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by swiftnfurious View Post
Ok. I will elaborate what I do, not sure it can help you or not. I own a Swift VDi as well. So please keep that in mind.

1. I fill fuel from COCO pump and fill normal diesel. I fill mostly just before the journey [in the night] or n the early morning of the day of travel [6 AM - 7 AM]

2. I keep the tyre pressure 2 psi extra than factory mentioned. This increases the bounciness, but mostly I drive alone and it doesn't matter. higher psi also helps in reduced heat on the tyres & hence improve mileage.

3. I drive sedately upshifting early [around 1500-2000 rpm max unless I red line the car a couple of time in 1 & 2 gears].

4. Usually I have hardly any luggage except for the ICE which includes a 12" sub & amp too - so add that weight to the car always.

5. I always make sure I don't brake hard or accelerate hard. I still end up hard braking max 1 or 2 times on an average in every journey accounting to 600 kms.

6. I take coffee breaks every 2.5 hours for 5-10 mins and some additional 1 min breaks as required in between.

7. Out of these journeys, around 400 kms is AWESOME toll roads and rest 200 consists of average to bad roads & ghat sections which ensure you have to brake much more and got to shift the gears to keep the car under control along the corners. I still manage a 23 kmpl - so I always wondered how much would have I got if the rest 200 kms also were superb ! The 25 kmpl I managed was just once or twice since its a pain to drive in that mode [60-80 kmph]

8. Since I am mostly alone and the Swift's A/C is a bone chiller, I switch it off once I starts shivering and switches it on back once its warm again - hence the 80% calculation. The windows are always rolled up thru out the journey.

9. If you think that 25 is insane, I have met a lot of people who claim a 26 kmpl regular, may be with A/C off.

10. I have managed a mere 15 kmpl also on great roads [with A/C off] at times owing to the spirited driving + curves + more braking. So its all about the driving style.

11. In not so bumper to bumper Bangy city traffic, I manage a 16.xx kmpl with A/C & 17.xx without A/C, sometimes I drive spirited.

8-9K is still on the HIGHER side. I on an average pay 6-6.5K for my Swift D for the 20K service intervals and I was told that even this is on the higher side, by some Swift D owners in the forum. I do intercooler cleaning as well on every 20K kms.

What is the cost of Intercooler cleaning and benefits..
Old 24th March 2012, 15:45   #40
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hondacity View Post
What is the cost of Intercooler cleaning and benefits..
Benefits: Better pick up & less smoke. If there is oil in the intercooler, you can make out by a sluggish pick up & heavy smoke under acceleration.

Cost: Charges vary, I have paid Rs. 200/-, some A$$ charge anywhere between Rs. 400/ - Rs. 800/- for this job.
Old 16th July 2012, 08:06   #41
BHPian

5th Service update - @ 30,000 kms

Got my 5th service at 30k km's - changed oil/oil filter, did wheel alignment and tyre rotation and changed mud flaps and wiper blades.

Total Damage: Rs.4030

Did a massive offroading, hilly terrain, expressway round of drives in the last 2 weeks and have already touched 34k kms in these weeks. I guess it is time go for a wheel upgrade.

My questions to the community:

- Till what time would the stock JK Tornado wheels last (current odo is at 34,000 kms)

- Is it safe to upgrade to a 195 or 205 width tyres on 15 inch alloy wheels on the ritz, if I do that will the tyre scrape the metal on potholes ?

Thanks in advance, Attaching some weekend pics for fun
Attached Thumbnails
Ritz VDi 8000kms Report-img_2096.jpg  

Ritz VDi 8000kms Report-img_1995.jpg  

Old 16th July 2012, 11:50   #42
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
- Is it safe to upgrade to a 195 or 205 width tyres on 15 inch alloy wheels on the ritz, if I do that will the tyre scrape the metal on potholes ?

Thanks in advance, Attaching some weekend pics for fun
You can easily go for 195*60*15 on ritz.
Im using them for past 15k kms and no issues whatsoever .
No scraping etc, even on full load.
but im not sure about 205 .

hope it helps

Cheers
Schoudhury is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th July 2012, 11:54   #43
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schoudhury View Post
You can easily go for 195*60*15 on ritz.
Im using them for past 15k kms and no issues whatsoever .
No scraping etc, even on full load.
but im not sure about 205 .

hope it helps

Cheers
Yes that is my default choice after looking at your garage/posts

But I am strongly attracted towards the new SX4 stock alloys, and feel like upgrading to the 16 inch alloy rims plus a 205/55-R16 combination.

But just want expert opinion on tyre well scraping, pot hole performance (ride quality) , tyre sounds, effect on bearings (wear and tear) and shock ups.
Old 16th July 2012, 12:06   #44
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Yes that is my default choice after looking at your garage/posts

But I am strongly attracted towards the new SX4 stock alloys, and feel like upgrading to the 16 inch alloy rims plus a 205/55-R16 combination.

But just want expert opinion on tyre well scraping, pot hole performance (ride quality) , tyre sounds, effect on bearings (wear and tear) and shock ups.
SX4 alloys are really nice, but im not sure if they are 100 pcd alloys. And also 55 might be too much for Ritz, i guess you will able to feel anything and everything on the road with those .

I will suggest stick to 195 , and thats more then enough for having fun with your Ritzy, also you will see how handling improves with those tyres .

Cheers
Old 10th January 2013, 10:53   #45
BHPian

6th Service Update @ 40,000kms

Completed my second major service after the 20,000km one last year.
Total Damage : Rs.14,335
(includes carbon cleaning, oil / oil filter change, front single fog light replacement, etc)

Can anyone else on the forum using a Ritz tell me how much they paid during their 40k service as I am feeling mine was a bit steep ?

Also replaced my battery from batterybhai.com - excellent service and price, total VFM. It took me just 3 hours from the time I put my request online and the local vendor coming and replacing my car's battery at my door step. Bought the cheapest option for Ritz diesel - Amaron Black-565102059 --> rs. 4900 including fitment and door step delivery.

Still working on changing the tyres on my ritz, as the older ones are doing pretty well. Will probably upgrade in the coming quarter.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks