Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 30th September 2010, 11:34   #1
BHPian

The Lady in Maroon - Hyundai i20 1.2 Magna

A. Selection Process - Chaos!!

“Which Showroom is this?” my Mom asked inquisitively. I was compelled to bring my bike to a halt and grudgingly pull myself into another shiny looking showroom.
This had become my routine for most of the last two weeks now - going to show rooms, looking at cars, liking the car, collecting a truck load of brochures, and ending up being confused at the end of the day.
“ Looking for a car? Go for the Polo man! Germans are the best at making cars” beamed one of my (many) Mechanical Engineer friends . “Non sense! Go for Manza – it’s an indigenously produced vehicle! And it’s a master piece” retorted another; “ Don’t listen to these fools Balwant, go for the Figo – the best new hatch – superb value for money!” said another one. “ You should buy a big car, Balwant” said my Mom, “it will impress you prospective alliances…”. “ I am very fond of my 407” said the Kirana wala (grocer) pitching in at the opportune time!! “What!!” I said to myself, even as my jaw dropped imagining myself visiting a prospective marriage alliance in a 407!! 
I discerned that , like cricket, everyone has an opinion on the perfect car ; and like cricket, everyone will be interested in which car you buy ( in fact – after the purchase, some people will even look at you disapprovingly!!) . And having too many Mechanical Engineer friends was proving to be a curse in disguise…
After suggestions from almost everyone I knew I narrowed down (broadened is a better word!) to the following:
1. New Wagon R ;
2. Manza ( I know I know, it’s a different segment! However, my budget was 5.5 Lac INR. The base version of the Manza Saffire just about fit into my budget!);
3. Vista;
4. Indigo CS ( suggested by another friend – little surprise that we works at Tata!);
5. Polo;
6. Swift;
7. Figo;
8. Beat;
9. Aveo ( ok! So this was over my budget – however – what looks boss!! Mom loved it!);
10. Micra .
11. Fabia ( dint know that it was so very expensive when I put the list together. )
The stuff that I was looking for were :
1. Comfort ( I am 6’2” tall );
2. Good interiors and low NVH levels;
3. Good FE ( around 30 Kms commuting per day. 75% city driving);
4. Good after sales;
5. Exterior looks and snob appeal! 
I wasn’t particular about Power { My friends call me a ‘Zombie’ for my extraordinarily sedate driving style! (Of course they exaggerate)}
I started looking at the cars one after the other , researching them. ( Team BHP really helped me here. I have been reading the site very regularly since June 2010). Following was the conclusion:

1. New Wagon R – reject summarily. Despite the upgrade, it did not appeal to my asthetic sence at all.
2. Manza – Dad really liked the space at the rear bench. I liked the interiors. Manza made it to round 2;
3. Vista – dint look at it seriously. Manza was very alluring. Rejected.
4. Indigo CS – Rejected – Manza effect again. Rejected.
5. Polo – Mom Dad dint like the rear bench comfort. For me I dint fancy the 3 cylinder engine ( 3 cylinder is a huge turn off for a technology enthusiast) , the A.S.S was a question mark, appeared over priced, and the waiting period – it put me off . Rejected.
6. Swift – Mom Dad liked the rear seat more than Polo , but they were still uncomfortable. But Swift is a Swift. It make it to round two anyway.
7. Figo – Nice n roomy. However, looks were very boring. No road presence. Rejected.
8. Beat – Amazing looks!! But a cramped rear bench, and the dark interiors lead to a rejection. Rejected (with a heavy heart)
9. Aveo – Here was a beauty! It met all my criteria ( and Mom Dad’s too ). Through to the next round.
10. Micra – A.S.S unknown. Summarily rejected.
11. Fabia – Shocking price and a 3 cylinder Engine. Rejected.

I thus narrowed down to Manza, Swift and Aveo ( Again, I know that the list defies some logic – but what the heck! Its MY list!).
Tatas shoddy dealership experience ( and its horrible after sales repute ) saw Manza out ( again with a heavy heart).
I tried the Aveo next. What a beauty that was! Excellent interiors, very nice comfort. However, it was 1 Lakh INR above my budget – that was getting me really really concerned. Mom, as understanding as Mothers are , offered that they ( Mom Dad ) will ‘lend’ me the extra money – and that I must buy the Aveo itself! ( It sure would have impressed the Ladki walas!)
Next came the swift. After having tried the Aveo – the swift appeared way too pale. Really boring interiors. And too common on the road. Rejected.

So Aveo it was going to be. But it was pretty costly ( VFM though – but in absolute terms it was 1 Lakh more than my maximum budget ). I also dint like the idea of borrowing from Parents - I started pretty shitty about it… lost in these thoughts heading back home, we came across another showroom…
“Which Showroom is this?” my Mom asked inquisitively. I was compelled to bring my bike to a halt and grudgingly pull myself into another shiny looking showroom.
Garve Hyundai it was. I entered and beheld – the i20!! How had this little beauty escaped my list?? We checked the car out, and got a TD soon afterwards. The interiors were a sight to behold ( comparable to Manza and Aveo!). Mom approved of the space of the rear bench. The car had it all : The looks, snob appeal, interiors, good A.S.S, decent FE. An ideal city Hatch. It fit into my budget even!
Mom was happy – this looked as impressive as any car on the road. Dad liked it because of its sheer class and poise. My Sister and her kids loved it! Personally, one look at the interiors and I was floored… no other car provides such aesthetics, comfort and sheer ‘feel good’ at this price point ( in my opinion it’s a real VFM!).
We all selected the i20 unanimously. Order had emerged finally from chaos – or had it??
“Berry red is my colour choice” said Mom; “ White for me” said Dad; “Black looks so cool Mama” said my niece. “don’t be crazy Pinky, I don’t like black”
“White is such an oldie colour”
“ Berry red! What red – it’s a maroon” ….

As they say – Learning is a mans journey from one confusion to the other.

Booking - I finally booked the Berry Red ( Maroon ) colour! Booked it from Kundan Hyundai. ( no1 from GArve ever called back, despite followup from my side)

Insurance - Insurance is the place where one can make a decent saving while buying a car. The Showroom quoted 16.5K INR for the same. I did some research of my own, and figured out that Bajaj allianz gives the same cover for 11.5 K INR odd.

While booking, I expressed my desire to get my insurance myself. ( after a lot of hesitation) the sales person took me to the director of the showroom, and he agreed to match the insurance amount ( resulting into a discount of INR 5034)!! They also gave me seat covers, mud flaps and sunfilms free of cost.

I also got the 3M package done on my car ( exterior coting, underbody anti rust treatment, and engine wax covering. The exterior costing gives an amazing feel to d car, also helps avoid minor scratches - I am speaking from experience here.. a couple of times some bikers have brushed me while driving, and no marks have been left what so ever on the car!)

Sales Experience - Was very good! I got a good amount of time and attention from the showroom, they also treated my parents with courtesy and respect. )

Delivery Date - 17th Sept 2010.

1 needs to be slow and sure on the delivery date. The PDI from TBHP really helped me. However, I couldnt complete the checklist properly, thanx to the delivery rush ( there were 12 deliveries on that day @ Kundan) and to the sheer emotion that accompanies the d-day - blocking rationality out!! )

Driving experience -

AMAZING to say the least. done 400 Kms in 1 week!! Just cant get out of the car!!

Here are some comments:

Pros:

1. The transmission is a treat to operate, smoothest gear shift that I have ever seen!
2. Steering - better than transmission. The nimble steering makes this big beauty really agile! ( more on the steering hereunder);
3. NVH Levels are a class apart - you will find it difficult even to hear the horns from the outside, with the music system playin!
4. Really smooth ride quality.

Cons:

1. Headlights arent strong enuf;
2. Meek horn;
3. Position of dashboard will make it inconvenient for the shorter drivers to drive this vehicle.
4. AC - not a chiller. But adequate.

Improvements done:

While doing my research, I had read about the issues with the i20. But to my sheer delight, they have resolved the following in the new i20 series:

1. Steering - behaves excellently. Inspires a lot of confidence. It does become heavy with the increased speed.
2. Power - Nice linear power delivery. Engine looks eager to race, throttle response is very encouraging;
3. AC - Though slow, this is much better than the older version. Automatic Climate control is very easy to use, and is very effective.
4. The glove box has cooling!
5. A vanity mirror has been put into place.
6. Boot has a light into it!

Uploading some pix ( as attachments) herewith.

More as I gather!
Attached Thumbnails
The Lady in Maroon - Hyundai i20 1.2 Magna-img00259.jpg  

The Lady in Maroon - Hyundai i20 1.2 Magna-img00270.jpg  

The Lady in Maroon - Hyundai i20 1.2 Magna-img00267.jpg  

Old 30th September 2010, 12:14   #2
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by baz_303 View Post
A. Selection Process - Chaos!!

Insurance - Insurance is the place where one can make a decent saving while buying a car. The Showroom quoted 16.5K INR for the same. I did some research of my own, and figured out that Bajaj allianz gives the same cover for 11.5 K INR odd.

While booking, I expressed my desire to get my insurance myself. ( after a lot of hesitation) the sales person took me to the director of the showroom, and he agreed to match the insurance amount ( resulting into a discount of INR 5034)!! They also gave me seat covers, mud flaps and sunfilms free of cost.

More as I gather!
Excellent write up Baz and congratulations on your acquisition on one of the best cars in market now.

Wishing you more smiles with your car. I hope you had forgot to mention about the technical details of the vehicle or due to paucity of time.

Have you gone in for 1.2 or 1.4? petrol or diesel?

My friend has gone in for a 1.2L petrol in bangalore, and i asked him to do the same thing for insurance, but he did not negotiate this with the dealer, they have quoted him 20000 where in i searched for bajaj alianz and it came to 13000. (i think price difference depends on the city)

I asked him to negotiate in exactly the same way you have done. Cheers to you

Happy and safe motoring.

Last edited by informmaha : 30th September 2010 at 12:18.
Old 30th September 2010, 12:27   #3
BHPian

Sorry!! Forgot to mention the details:

Its an i20 1.2 Magna Petrol.

The stuff that you get is ( over and above the standard stuff):

1. Integrated audio ( complete with USB and AUX ports);
2. Automatic climate control;
3. Tilt and telescopic steering ( no driver seat adjustment though).

What you dont get is the ABS, Air Bag, Sun roof and alloy wheels.

PS: Thanks for the wishes!

I must also add that one of the most important tips that I gathered from TBHP ( for negotiation) was to make negotiations in the 3rd week of the month. The sales people are under pressure to meet their deadlines, and so they are keener to close deals if you flash your cheque - books at them.

Thanks to this advice, I was able to get a good loan interest rate deal from Axis Bank ( @ 9 % PA fixed).

@ Infomaha - Its an i20 Magna petrol 1.2!

Thanks for the wishes!

Note from the Team-BHP Support Team : Please use the "edit" button if posting within 20 minutes of the first post, instead of creating another back-to-back post.

Last edited by .anshuman : 30th September 2010 at 13:11. Reason: Please take a look at the mod note that has been added to the end of your post.
Old 30th September 2010, 12:49   #4
Senior - BHPian

Congratulations baz, what a writeup. Had the usual ups and downs similar to a Bollywood plot.

BTW why didn't you include Fiesta in your list, should be costing lesser than Aveo for sure in Pune.

The colour looks super cool. What was the OTR. How much did the 3M detailing cost you? Was it done through the dealer or on your own.

i20 was one of my choices when I was car hunting. I had TDed the diesel variant and was simply blown away by the gizmos, low end pick up and the interior but was to cost me a bomb for the top end variant (it was costing 7.5L at Thane) hence dropped it.

All the Best, happy mile crunching and drive safely. Take good care of the lady.
Old 30th September 2010, 12:54   #5
Distinguished - BHPian

Congrats on the i20. A very well documented car purchase, it made an interesting read.

Enjoy many more happy miles with the i20.
Old 30th September 2010, 13:00   #6
BHPian

@ Ghodlur:

Thanks for the wishes!!

Here are the answers!

1. Fiesta - Your are right! Missed it! ( not regretting though, as it would have been over my budget);
2. OTR - 5.57 INR Lacs. After discount, went to 5.52 INR Lacs;
3. 3M - cost me 6.5K INR. Got it from the dealer itself. Hyundai recommends 3M. ( I did check up the price of the package independently to make sure that the dealer was not getting his cut from it!).
Old 30th September 2010, 13:11   #7
Senior - BHPian

Fantastic writeup baz !

Good choice and congrats for your new car..... Enjoy it to the core...

-Ravi
Old 1st October 2010, 08:15   #8
BHPian

Some finer points here:

1. The blue light illumination is -well - uber cool!!
2. The interior theme is coffee brown + beige. This is right upto my tastes, but may be be to everyones;
3. No metal inset steering on magna :(
4. There is a gear shift indicator on the ODO, it works very well;
5. There are loads of cubby holes

@ all - thanks for your wishes.
Old 1st October 2010, 12:33   #9
Senior - BHPian

hey baz you have pretty much got the Deal of the Hatchbacks there buddy.

NEAT CHOICE MAN.

I have been a Loyal Hyundai customer for about 4years now and as you might have guessed by now, you will not regret your decision.
Yes, these Koreans are probably not the best in making cars, but take my word for this bro, when it comes to Putting a car together and giving a bit of everything along, they don't get a lot better than Hyundai.

I had no clue that they had tweaked the engine & AC, were providing a gear shift indicator along with an Auto AC now on a Magna 1.2!! SWEET.
Any mods planned for your Uber Cool Ride?

Last edited by Vik0728 : 1st October 2010 at 12:38.
Old 1st October 2010, 14:07   #10
Senior - BHPian

Congrats on your new acquisition!
Good to hear that Hyundai has tried to solve the dead steering and FATC issues.
Enjoy your ride!
Old 1st October 2010, 16:32   #11
BHPian

Congrats Baz on the new purchase..

You negotiated well with the dealer on the cost of the Insurance.

What was the waiting period of the car?

Do put up reviews on the AC and the rattles of the vehicle which has been experienced by some BHPians.
Old 1st October 2010, 19:43   #12
BHPian

Hi,

@ vik0728 - the only mod that I m planning on her are Headlamps ( want to check out the insurance impact of going in for more powerful headlamps); The headlamps appear to be pretty inadequate to me.

@ Bad Guy - Once u set the temp to 22 deg, with the AC fan at a moderate level the cabinet cools up pretty fast ( however, no idea on the rear bench cooling - going solo most of the times).

Waiting period was 12 odd days.

Hyundai increased their prices in sept, this was one of the last of the lot to be delivered on the old price.

Will keep the community updated on my experiences.

PS: Just back from the office in peak Hinjewadi Traffic - cant help but applaud the NVH levels of the car! its makes the worst of jams beareable )
Old 1st October 2010, 22:08   #13
BHPian

congrats, i20 sure is a very good car. i20 crdi asta was my first choice.i had gone with booking amount in my pocket for i20 diesel asta. but i wish the dealers were little more cooperative and the car was available through CSD. So, i went for linea instead.
Old 1st October 2010, 22:56   #14
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by baz_303 View Post

Had this query for quite sometime. Is getting insurance done at dealers end more helpful/easier while making accident claims? If insurance is done outside,as Baz has done, will it make the claim process more tedious?

Last edited by Me-hul : 1st October 2010 at 23:05.
Old 1st October 2010, 23:25   #15
BHPian

@ Me-hul

I got the insurance from the dealer itself. The information helped me put out a case for providing a discount.

About accident claims - Dont have much of an idea on this front. ( so I will desist from commenting on this issue).
A more informed TBHP may please answer this question?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks