Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports

Search this Thread
Old 5th December 2005, 19:08   #1
Senior - BHPian

Driven : Audi TT Coupe 1.8 T

We all know that the Skoda Octavia RS and the Audi TT 1.8 share the same powerplant. Had driven the RS quite sometime back and was really impressed by the performance. Well now I decided to give the TT a try. Here is a review on a short driving impression I had.

The TT is quite nice to look at with nice curves all over and a rear that somewhat reminds you of the VW Beetle. The head and tail lights are nicely intergrated into the body shell and there doesnt seem a wrong design stroke anywhere. On the inside its quality all around. The three spoke steering is chunky and has loads of grip. I loved the silver round gear know excellent in chrome finish. The silver finished dials add a cool touch to the overall facia. The round AC vents look good too. I took sometime in adjusting my driving position but that was maybe because I'm a short guy. Once done the driver's seat snugs you on tightly. The rear seats are an excuse and you can at the most fit in some small kid but even he would be uncomfy. Best to leave the rear empty at that

I had a drive around Bandra Reclaimation and BKC. The engine loves to be revved and the turbo whistle is addictive as is on the RS. The gearbox has a short throw and it makes for good fun going through the gears. The engine belts out 150 horses ( same as the Octy RS on our shores). The car handles pretty well too and taking the curves in BKC at 80 kph plus was a breeze. The TT rides on 225 profile tyres shod onto 17 inch wheels. Managed a 140 kph but soon ran out of road and had to slow down. Braking is very efficient on this machine. The steering was very responsive and feedback was positive too considering I was driving single handedly. Ride is decent though it does get bumpy at times.

Came away satisfied but its pretty expensive at 32 lakhs (ex showroom) . For a price much lower than that, I feel I can get almost the same thrills from an Octavia RS as I would from the TT 1.8. Plus I get two extra doors and can carry my luggage and people behind too.

Now if it was the TT 3.2 Quattro, now that would be a different story.

Couldnt take detailed pictures this time as I was in a bit of hurry. Sorry about that.

* Correction : Price of the TT ex showroom is 32 lakhs indeed just confirmed. You get it for for 26 through some other method of sale

Last edited by Dippy : 6th December 2005 at 18:42.
Old 5th December 2005, 19:14   #2
BHPian

Nice one there dippy.I personally like the way the dials are designed and also the gear knob.Very well said for the pricing,as i may consider an RS anytime over this but you see its according to some people's taste.
nikibusa is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th December 2005, 19:34   #3
bhp
BHPian

lucky guy again dippy . i would rather take an rs and modify it for more power and then too save money
Old 5th December 2005, 19:36   #4
Senior - BHPian

Hey Dippy thats a nice report. I love the quality of this Audi, the pricing seems high and RS can also thrill as much but you stand out from the rest of the crowd with TT and has got good presence on road.
Old 5th December 2005, 19:45   #5
Senior - BHPian

I, for one, believe that the TT has always been overrated. Like, u said Dippy a lot more better to go with an RS and then modify it. I'd keep a TT if it was gifted to me but i wouldnt buy one with my own money though.
Old 5th December 2005, 19:52   #6
BHPian

Nice review there dippy . BTW could you please tell us whether the car you drove was having the DSG gearbox ? If yes then how was the overall feel cos after all the "Laura" will be having the same DSG as on Audi TT ...
Old 5th December 2005, 20:08   #7
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Gosh, How on earth do you manage this. Whats next - the Veyron??

GTO

P.S. Nice summary about the drive.
Old 5th December 2005, 20:26   #8
Senior - BHPian

Theres no envy smiley.

<envy> <envy> <envy>.

On a serious note...good report...
Taking BKC curves at 80kmph will be a piece of cake for the TT.
Too bad there arent many pictures.
But the Octy RS simply makes a whole lot more sense than the TT. I get the same engine at a price lesser than the TT, i get more space and more practicality.

Only if the engine had more power...only then could it justify that 26 lakh price tag. But even at this price people will still go ahead and buy it. I wouldnt.

Drifter

Last edited by drifter : 5th December 2005 at 20:27.
Old 5th December 2005, 22:23   #9
Senior - BHPian

@ Beemer : Nope the car I drove didnt have the DSG

@drifter : Exactly why I said if it was the 3.2 Quattro, it would be another story but then the price would go up pretty steeply too
Old 5th December 2005, 23:02   #10
Senior - BHPian

Hey dippy nice review

Quote:
Came away satisfied but its pretty expensive at 26 lakhs . For a price much lower than that, I feel I can get almost the same thrills from an Octavia RS as I would from the TT 1.8. Plus I get two extra doors and can carry my luggage and people behind too.
sure you get same engine but what about handling ?
because I happen to know someone who has test driven both cars & has said that TT (indian spec) handles much better than RS (indian spec) anyday

maybe some magzine should carry out some track testing & not just straight line tests
Old 5th December 2005, 23:34   #11
Team-BHP Support

A couple of years back a member of the fairer sex mentioned to me that she dreamed to own an Audi tt when i met her for the second time, and i immediately realised that this woman certainly has class (co-incidence was that it was a friday and times drive had an article on the TT). Thats how much this car appeals to me.

If i had the money i would buy it at even 26 lakhs, guess its not the head that makes decisions all the time . . .

manson.
Old 5th December 2005, 23:37   #12
F50
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by adya33

sure you get same engine but what about handling ?
because I happen to know someone who has test driven both cars & has said that TT (indian spec) handles much better than RS (indian spec) anyday

maybe some magzine should carry out some track testing & not just straight line tests
I completely agree with you that TT does score over RS in handling department but where is that handling going to be used in daily life.
And right now the straight line speed is what is important ... im talking bout drag races.... handling does come into play but only after the quater mile is over. When you go back to park your car.
So I feel its much better to buy RS and add ponies.
Magazines should carry out the handling tests just for the record but even the records will be written when the RS beats some serious things out of TT.
Old 5th December 2005, 23:43   #13
Senior - BHPian

Only 150 horses. I thought the TT was 180. What year model was this?
Old 5th December 2005, 23:45   #14
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by F 50
I completely agree with you that TT does score over RS in handling department but where is that handling going to be used in daily life.
And right now the straight line speed is what is important ... im talking bout drag races.... handling does come into play but only after the quater mile is over. When you go back to park your car.
So I feel its much better to buy RS and add ponies.
Magazines should carry out the handling tests just for the record but even the records will be written when the RS beats some serious things out of TT.
it depends on what you mean by fast car
for me fast car is the one which can go fast over entire track & not only in straight line
just to show you an example
in 2005 the avarage straight line speed of Minardi & Ferrari had about 10km difference
what makes Ferrari faster is its ability to carry that speed through corner
Old 6th December 2005, 00:00   #15
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mpower
Only 150 horses. I thought the TT was 180. What year model was this?

The TT in India only comes with 150bhp i think.

And 150bhp for a coupe' costing 26lacs is way too expensive especially if u can get the same motor for 15lacs..in the RS

Most Viewed